Print Thread
Elephant Mountain WMA: Javelina Hunt #7581778 08/16/19 09:45 PM
T
TurkeyWhisperer Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Me, my son and my wife’s uncle were drawn for Javelina at Elephant Mountain WMA. I’ve never been there before, but looking forward to a new adventure!

If anybody has hunted there, any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Elephant Mountain WMA: Javelina Hunt [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7590646 08/27/19 11:17 AM
M
Mike H. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I won that one on my first draw hunt try a few years back and I know you'll have a blast. After a long drive from north Fort Worth the day before and spending the night in a decent campsite there, the winners (I think there were eight hunters) gathered in the WMA office the morning of the first day and got briefed. After checking licenses and IDs, we were free to go to our compartments to hunt.

The employees were great and more than willing to share where they had most recently seen activity...after driving and stalking for most of the day, I was heading back to the truck when I finally saw my first pigs. It was a slow-moving trio of adults and I came upon them as they were quartering away on their left side. They didn't see me, so I was able to pick the biggest one (although they were probably about the same size) and let loose a 55-gr. softpoint in .223 Rem. from a Model 70 Youth Ranger (restocked, of course). I had buck fever at that first shot, so I was only able to blow a front leg joint apart. That slowed Gimpy down, though, and a second round through the vitals knocked him over DRT.

I had read elsewhere on this site that stink pigs were easy kills and that's true! Anyway, after field-dressing him, back to the office we went for an official weigh-in (I can't recall the weight now but it wasn't much). Since I decided to leave right after that -- I had a baby girl to get back to -- I didn't spend the night, although I could've if I wanted. TPW just doesn't want you to hunt anymore once you get your javi.

Temps were chilly, as they are even in a Texas winter (hard to believe, I know), and the day was partly sunny. I saw no other animals besides jackrabbits and birds. As the state bighorn ram herd occasionally stays at Elephant Mountain, I was hoping to catch a glimpse at one, but saw neither horn no hair.

The place is awesome and I think all the other hunters save one got an animal...funny thing is, on my third draw hunt try, I got a javi hunt at Big Bend Ranch SP coming up in October. Now that will rock!

M

Re: Elephant Mountain WMA: Javelina Hunt [Re: Mike H.] #7590922 08/27/19 03:54 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mike H.
I won that one on my first draw hunt try a few years back and I know you'll have a blast. After a long drive from north Fort Worth the day before and spending the night in a decent campsite there, the winners (I think there were eight hunters) gathered in the WMA office the morning of the first day and got briefed. After checking licenses and IDs, we were free to go to our compartments to hunt.

The employees were great and more than willing to share where they had most recently seen activity...after driving and stalking for most of the day, I was heading back to the truck when I finally saw my first pigs. It was a slow-moving trio of adults and I came upon them as they were quartering away on their left side. They didn't see me, so I was able to pick the biggest one (although they were probably about the same size) and let loose a 55-gr. softpoint in .223 Rem. from a Model 70 Youth Ranger (restocked, of course). I had buck fever at that first shot, so I was only able to blow a front leg joint apart. That slowed Gimpy down, though, and a second round through the vitals knocked him over DRT.

I had read elsewhere on this site that stink pigs were easy kills and that's true! Anyway, after field-dressing him, back to the office we went for an official weigh-in (I can't recall the weight now but it wasn't much). Since I decided to leave right after that -- I had a baby girl to get back to -- I didn't spend the night, although I could've if I wanted. TPW just doesn't want you to hunt anymore once you get your javi.

Temps were chilly, as they are even in a Texas winter (hard to believe, I know), and the day was partly sunny. I saw no other animals besides jackrabbits and birds. As the state bighorn ram herd occasionally stays at Elephant Mountain, I was hoping to catch a glimpse at one, but saw neither horn no hair.

The place is awesome and I think all the other hunters save one got an animal...funny thing is, on my third draw hunt try, I got a javi hunt at Big Bend Ranch SP coming up in October. Now that will rock!

M

Thanks so much! Great info and write up on the hunt! Good luck on your Big Bend Hunt as well!

Last edited by TurkeyWhisperer; 08/27/19 03:55 PM.
Re: Elephant Mountain WMA: Javelina Hunt [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7592579 08/29/19 02:57 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
My SIL and I were drawn and hunted Jan. 2016. We tagged out the first day. 6/8 hunters tagged out for the total. Like Mike H stated the staff are great and helpful. They told us where they had been seeing the Javs in our compartment. Sure enough we found them in that area about the time they said to be looking for them. We stayed in a motel in Alpine it is about 25 mile north of Elephant Mtn. I have hunted Elephant Mtn before on a Archery MD, though unsuccessful I still had a great time. Call the Headquarters for info. Good luck.

Re: Elephant Mountain WMA: Javelina Hunt [Re: pigplinker] #7593070 08/29/19 06:41 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pigplinker
My SIL and I were drawn and hunted Jan. 2016. We tagged out the first day. 6/8 hunters tagged out for the total. Like Mike H stated the staff are great and helpful. They told us where they had been seeing the Javs in our compartment. Sure enough we found them in that area about the time they said to be looking for them. We stayed in a motel in Alpine it is about 25 mile north of Elephant Mtn. I have hunted Elephant Mtn before on a Archery MD, though unsuccessful I still had a great time. Call the Headquarters for info. Good luck.

Thank you!!!

Re: Elephant Mountain WMA: Javelina Hunt [Re: TurkeyWhisperer] #7678287 12/03/19 02:26 AM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
We are a week away from the hunt. Looking forward to it. Planning on tent camping at the WMA.

Just wanted to see if anybody else has any experience hunting Javelina here. Also, any other THF members gonna be there? Thanks!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide