Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hipstervilles #7576891 08/10/19 04:22 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Last Wednesday I was way too early to a place I needed to be in downtown San Antonio, so I took a right on South Flores and looked around at the area that has supposedly been "regentrified". My son helped a couple open a brewery a couple of years ago in the area and all my wife and I heard was how this area was really gonna "explode". All I saw Wednesday was a bunch of lame-arse ideas already boarded up. You go just a very few blocks south and it's the same old struggling southside that was pretty much over in the 1960s when I was a kid.

It's called "SoFlo" ('cause you gotta mimick Austin) and also the "Lone Star District". (I think about 3 development deals have fallen on their face to try and reclaim and fix up the old Lone Star Brewery.)
It is sad to see the results of people that think a couple of thrown-together art galleries, some craft breweries, and some apartments is gonna make a place come alive. It takes real industry, real families, and a steady flow of cash to make something come alive.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly love the city I was born and raised in, but it always seems to come back to it's "Mañana" roots, no matter how hard anyone tries.

I can't stand being on South Congress in Austin, but I guess the sheer volume of kids wanting to be there has in fact made it stick and be a success.

How 'bout your area? Got any success stories of old places being fixed up?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576905 08/10/19 04:38 PM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Creek runner how old are you? You've got to be the most negative person on this forum. You have turned into the "get off my lawn" guy... wife

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 08/10/19 04:38 PM.
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576908 08/10/19 04:42 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
And you're the most ironic. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576911 08/10/19 04:47 PM
P
pdr55 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
back Yeah, a lot of people are trying to put lipstick on a pig.
And then you wipe off the lipstick and...
VIOLA. A pig !

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576913 08/10/19 04:50 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
I dont venture downtown very often. I hate the scooters and riders since their lives matter more than my children.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: DeRico] #7576916 08/10/19 04:52 PM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by DeRico
I dont venture downtown very often. I hate the scooters and riders since their lives matter more than my children.

Those funking scooters! Now they allow them on road!

Re: Hipstervilles [Re: S.A. hunter] #7576921 08/10/19 04:59 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Those funking scooters! Now they allow them on road!

When we do make it downtown I try not sparta kicking someone off. It takes a little bit of brain and uncommon sense to see that scooters aren't allowed in certain areas.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576922 08/10/19 05:00 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nothing will happen if nobody tries. We had a dead downtown, it has taken a long time, but our downtown has slowly came back to life. San Angelo, they have revitalized their downtown in to a great downtown. It took a few people that spent their money and time to bring it back to life, but it what was their vision is today's reality.

In both Abilene and San Angelo, downtown vacant buildings are becoming hard to find. One developer on the southside of downtown has built events centers out of 2 old buildings that were falling down. Today he has them rented far into the future. Some thought he was crazy to invest so much in dilapidated buildings, now some of those same people are regretting not getting in on the ground floor.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576929 08/10/19 05:05 PM
Creekrunner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Oh, our true down town is getting all KINDS of new, international visitors! They're being dropped off by the bus station by really big white buses. It's gonna be great! See - I can be a glass-half-full sort of guy.

Re: Hipstervilles [Re: dogcatcher] #7576939 08/10/19 05:13 PM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Nothing will happen if nobody tries. We had a dead downtown, it has taken a long time, but our downtown has slowly came back to life. San Angelo, they have revitalized their downtown in to a great downtown. It took a few people that spent their money and time to bring it back to life, but it what was their vision is today's reality.

In both Abilene and San Angelo, downtown vacant buildings are becoming hard to find. One developer on the southside of downtown has built events centers out of 2 old buildings that were falling down. Today he has them rented far into the future. Some thought he was crazy to invest so much in dilapidated buildings, now some of those same people are regretting not getting in on the ground floor.

Very true. Anything is better then letting areas waste away. Dont know how or why some see it a a bad thing. I was looking at houses in and around the downtown area. I tried to get in a little too late. They wanted $250 to $400 per sqft. I just couldn't do it..

Re: Hipstervilles [Re: dogcatcher] #7576941 08/10/19 05:17 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1

The Beehive turned downtown upside down! I miss that place. Abilene is slowly growing, and by slowly I mean SLOWWW. Last I heard ACU is finally allowing Hooters? How's that going?

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: DeRico] #7576953 08/10/19 05:48 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The Beehive turned downtown upside down! I miss that place. Abilene is slowly growing, and by slowly I mean SLOWWW. Last I heard ACU is finally allowing Hooters? How's that going?

The Beehive wasn't the start, but was an early player. I heard that Hooters was allowed to come to town so that the "ladies" from ACU and HSU could have more off campus employment opportunities. The Methodist already partied and partied hearty, so they f=did not need the Hooters.

Most of the old businesses are happy with the slow growth, it allows them to continue to pay starvation wages. The oilfield sucked a lot of people out of the local workforce, forcing some of the cheapskates to pay a decent wage.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576956 08/10/19 05:53 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Oh, our true down town is getting all KINDS of new, international visitors! They're being dropped off by the bus station by really big white buses. It's gonna be great! See - I can be a glass-half-full sort of guy.

LOL

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7576965 08/10/19 06:06 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Talk about revitalizing a town........they re-opened the Dairy Queen in Giddings and it's booming. I went by there a few minutes ago and there were 3 cars in the drive-thru.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7577038 08/10/19 09:17 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Rhome has had DQ for years but they got a truck stop with its own built in McDonalds AND they got a Taco Casa.

I used to enjoy seeing the horizon from my parent’s house. Now it’s a stupid orange and yellow taco stand that I refuse to eat at

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7577437 08/11/19 01:50 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Everything runs in cycles. Things rise, then fall. Repeat.

Proverbs 2
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7577887 08/12/19 01:51 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I think they have done a good job with the Pearl Brewery area.

The areas around Tobin Hill, Florida and Carolina streets are gonna be sketchy for awhile.

Some time back we went and ate at "the best restaurant in SA" located somewhere down there. It was pretty good food but It was a warehouse style building one street off from the ghetto.

I have some acquaintances building, Buying and Renovating down there. Some small places going for big money....I don't see the value. I also don't see how some freelance code writers, coffee baristas and Bloggers are affording these $350k-$450k homes....it seems the perfect buyer for those areas are a 20's something intellectual progressive who wants to be in the "scene"

that said, I applaud and welcome cleaning those areas up. But I think it will always be like Austin Hwy.....The difference between prestige & elegance and having to dodge hookers and crackheads may only be 1/4 of a mile.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: txtrophy85] #7577899 08/12/19 02:16 AM
Homer Jay Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
lThe difference between prestige & elegance and having to dodge hookers and crackheads may only be 1/4 of a mile.

Wow. What a prescient statement. This, I think, describes every big and mid-size city in this state.

I drive through my city and there are million dollar medical centers and two blocks down there are burned out buildings and overgrown lots. I drive by high-end boutiques and cafes and the next block over you're in the barrio where all of the buildings are tagged up and there's trash filling the alleys.

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Homer Jay] #7577918 08/12/19 02:45 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Homer Jay
lThe difference between prestige & elegance and having to dodge hookers and crackheads may only be 1/4 of a mile.

Wow. What a prescient statement. This, I think, describes every big and mid-size city in this state.

I drive through my city and there are million dollar medical centers and two blocks down there are burned out buildings and overgrown lots. I drive by high-end boutiques and cafes and the next block over you're in the barrio where all of the buildings are tagged up and there's trash filling the alleys.

That also happens in small towns. I have also seen it in rural counties where there is no extra territorial jurisdiction.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Homer Jay] #7577950 08/12/19 03:42 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Homer Jay

Maybe that’s the reason we used to see Ft. Worth on “COPS” all the time... bolt

Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7578590 08/12/19 11:52 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Prime example....The old grain elevator in downtown Waco is now "The Silos". I don't see the attraction, but dang that former soon-to-be demolished eyesore draws a crowd. My office has a full time security guard dedicated to just kicking their visitors out of our parking lot. . They also bought "The Elite Cafe" on the circle and re-named it "Magnolia's Table". I drive by it every morning at about 5:45 and the parking lot is already full. I think they open at 7 or 8. They also bought a bunch of burned out crack houses downtown and remodeled them for vacation/weekend rentals. Lots of new construction and eateries opening up just because of them being there.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Slow Drifter] #7578599 08/13/19 12:01 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
Prime example....The old grain elevator in downtown Waco is now "The Silos". I don't see the attraction, but dang that former soon-to-be demolished eyesore draws a crowd. My office has a full time security guard dedicated to just kicking their visitors out of our parking lot. . They also bought "The Elite Cafe" on the circle and re-named it "Magnolia's Table". I drive by it every morning at about 5:45 and the parking lot is already full. I think they open at 7 or 8. They also bought a bunch of burned out crack houses downtown and remodeled them for vacation/weekend rentals. Lots of new construction and eateries opening up just because of them being there.

My daughter waited tables at the Elite Cafe when she was at Baylor. Pretty good food back then

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Hipstervilles [Re: Creekrunner] #7578634 08/13/19 12:40 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Even the small towns are getting into revitalizing their towns.

An old cotton gin in Wall, just east of San Angelo is a steakhouse, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ole-Gin-steakhouse/190094724351716

In Eola, also east of San Angelo the old school has been turned into a steakhouse and brewery. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Bar/eola-school-466762980135/

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: dogcatcher] #7578658 08/13/19 01:13 AM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1

An old cotton gin in Wall, just east of San Angelo is a steakhouse, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ole-Gin-steakhouse/190094724351716

In Eola, also east of San Angelo the old school has been turned into a steakhouse and brewery. https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Bar/eola-school-466762980135/

Fredericksburg was just the beginning, slowly but surely it’ll be Austin everywhere

[Linked Image]
Re: Hipstervilles [Re: DeRico] #7578712 08/13/19 02:12 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Fredericksburg was just the beginning, slowly but surely it’ll be Austin everywhere

I avoid Fredericksburg proper if I can help it. Too big of a little town for me. I feel the same about Kerrville.

I don't mind people coming in and fixing up old dilapidated buildings and making eating houses out of them. I think its a good way to recycle

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide