texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Jstocks, DF2, R&K, MistahMoon, Csonnier19
65923 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 94,734
bill oxner 58,465
stxranchman 55,296
SnakeWrangler 47,604
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,439
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics439,857
Posts6,381,592
Members65,923
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Eagle Seed? #7578547 08/12/19 11:02 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
S
spg Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
Anyone try Eagle seed soybeans or any product of theirs in South Texas?

Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7578574 08/12/19 11:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
Not Eagle Seed but I did tried a variety of Soybeans that Pogue AgriPartners from Kenedy had. I think the germ was low and even though I tried them for two years (one with great rains) I did not get the stand I thought I should have. They did good though till it got to hot or to dry down here. Pogue had a Laredo Forage Soybean I was going to try but opted to go back to Iron and Clays and Red Rippers. Both do well here for me if it rains good to keep the deer off of them till they get going well. If I ever try them again I will go with a Round-Up Ready variety that a guy told me about that is from Canada IIRC. He said it did better for him under high grazing pressure of whitetails. He was in a bit higher rainfall area than I am...he was at 38" and I am 32" here. You are going to be in the 21"-23" area in Live Oak so unless you get good spring and timely early summer rains, soybeans may not be your best choice since they do like moisture.
Of the variety listed on the web page I would try the Big Fellow RR variety.



Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: stxranchman] #7578621 08/13/19 12:20 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
S
spg Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
Soybeans are complicated, they don't like to much rain but need moisture at the same time. I actually talked to a rep and of course he said they'll grow where I'm at but probably just trying to make a sale. I have two plots I'm gonna plant this fall (OCT) if we ever get some rain, both are about 5 acres each so I'll probably go with something cheap and spend more on fertilizer. Just curious if anyone from the south has tried Eagle seeds, they praise there drought tolerance.

Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7578626 08/13/19 12:27 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
Being Round-Up Ready is a good thing also. What price per did they quote you on the varieties for this area? I plant 11 acres every spring and would give them a try if they are drought tolerant enough for this area. Delivered price to me may make them to costly to try.



Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7578667 08/13/19 01:29 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
S
spg Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
Helena in Hondo sales eagle seed, I didn't get a price they wanted me to go through one of their dealers and Hondo is the closest one I guess.

Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7578675 08/13/19 01:39 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
They should be able to transfer seed to a Helena Dealer closer to you. I had them do that in El Campo one time.. There is one in Jourdanton and Pearsall also. Then along or below HWY 59 El Campo, Wharton and Ganado. Taft has one too.



Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7579004 08/13/19 02:57 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
S
spg Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
If it starts raining anytime soon I'll dig deeper into but its pretty dry on my place as of now.

Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7579318 08/13/19 10:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
Yep it is dry and hot...hit 105-106 today. It hit 104 about 35 miles east of there today.



Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7579358 08/13/19 11:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
S
spg Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
No rain forecasted either, typical.

Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7579366 08/13/19 11:24 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
80% chance tonight and tomorrow IT won't rain... grin We do have a 20%chance though for next 24 hrs.



Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7579400 08/14/19 12:08 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
S
spg Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,957
Funny how the last two years it never rained when it was time to plant but it rained most of the deer season.

Re: Eagle Seed? [Re: spg] #7579451 08/14/19 12:49 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 55,296
May and Sept are the two highest rainfall months most years down here. Most of the Junes has been wet the last 15 yrs or so years now with tropical moisture off the gulf. Those cold fronts in the fall and winter can change the fall rainfall patterns.



Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3