Forums46
Topics537,019
Posts9,719,442
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: triggerbowtx] #7567414 07/30/19 01:09 AM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by triggerbowtx
Originally Posted by tlk
Memories are all that hunting should be about IMO - the only reason I mount an animal is so when I look at it on the wall I can remember the entire experience - older I get the better the memories are!

I see your point. But I hunt for the experience today not for the memories of tomorrow. I hunt because I have a passion for the outdoors and getting outside and being with friends and family. Memories are great but I like to live in the present. We are not promised tomorrow.

triggerbow-- I see your point for sure. Living in the moment is good advise im sure. But when you live in the moment and its a good moment it just makes sense to want to REMEMBER it IMO. Also, having a good moment to live in right now, beyond being good to remember, it also is the foundation for having something good to look forward to in the FUTURE. Im not an English major nor do I always use the right words to explain my thoughts, but living in the moment isn't mutually exclusive of enjoying good MEMORIES nor does it preclude you from daydreaming ahead anticipating a FUTURE moment. I think I can speak for tlk and myself when I say in another way--we were living in the moment when we created our life long memories as well as creating an event that gives a reference point for what we look forward to possibly enjoying in the future. Thanks for bringing out the not so polished philosopher in me. smile

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7567419 07/30/19 01:13 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Thanks for everyones responses so far, in particular Pitch. Getting past an old mans bedtime so ill try to comment more tomorrow. Unless, of course, tomorrow is deer season, but, oh that's right, it must not be or we wouldn't be spending time on threads like this.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7577559 08/11/19 05:23 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Looks like my thread is dying. I had hoped I would get some more takers. I appreciate those that responded. Anybody else??

Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7577611 08/11/19 06:36 PM
R
rogerh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I'll play

I have enjoyed my lease for the past 8 years. Year round access water we pay electric and have a camp to park our trailers. We pay 2k per gun and can bring family and guests. Biggest deer so far was a 158
and everyone works to make them better. We have 4500 acres with 5 hunters. As far as the max I would pay that would depend. We have put a lot of time and money into this place so I would say 3500 but I
would have to find a place equal to or better before I decided to move.

Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7577881 08/12/19 01:41 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'm gonna bet ya'll don't care muhc what I think on this. I already got lambasted for my first post in land and leases. But here goes nothing.

Hunting public land has spoiled me. It's all about the hunt and it has nothing to do with the quarry as long as I get SOMETHING. I like to get out and roam the country until The boy is too tired and wants to go back to the truck. Then we run to the nearest corner store and grab some fountain drinks and junkfood and he's ready to hunt again. You can't really do that on a lease, unless it is very large. I would get bored with it restricted to deer stands and etc., my kids even moreso.

I can't bring myself to pay for a lease to be honest. Every penny on a lease could be money saved towards my own piece of land. So I guess my perfect lease would be my own property, even if it had no deer, as long as I could shoot and my kids could shoot. Even if I had my own spread I'd have to get out and explore something else.

I'd gladly pay a $100 trespassing fee just to shoot pigeons and eurasian collared doves off somebody's grain silo with a pellet gun. I don't know anybody with this kind of deal though. I could take my daughters and we would have a ball, it would be awesome..

I am perfectly happy bumming around on a good sized piece of public property and not even seeing any deer, but that is almost never the case. There are more deer on public land than you may have been led to believe. Probably not the trophies you are hunting for though.

I haven't reached th trophy hunter phase of my life I guess. In regards to success, I just want to bring something home. Maybe that is why I never really grew out of hunting squirrels and cottontails. It is a ton of fun and success is almost guarsnteed. Great fun with the kids too.

You think a kid has more fun sitting on a bucket waiting for doves, or exploring the woods and finding some squrrels. Kids like to move around and explore. I am alot like a kid in that way. Maybe it's ADHD, haha. But apply that same philosophy in comparison to deer hunting from a stand, there is no comparison.

I think Pitchfork Predator has got it figured out, if I were in a position in life to pay for a lease I'd need at least 5,000 acres to start, and permission to spot and stalk. When I am too old to run around like that, then I'll pay good miney to sit in a stand.

I just don't understand why anybody would be satisfied paying a couple thousand dollars a year just to sit in a stand, regardless of the potential of the lease.

Last edited by laid over; 08/12/19 01:44 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7577898 08/12/19 02:13 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
Looks like my thread is dying. I had hoped I would get some more takers. I appreciate those that responded. Anybody else??

If you'd put it in the deer hunting thread it'd get more attention. I barely caught it. The land and leases thread runs more or less like a classified thread, dudes perusing it are not regularly shooting the buil in the moment but looking for a place to hunt.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7578427 08/12/19 07:37 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
My first lease was $200. a year for probably 800 acres. Worst lease as far as the number of deer available but we had more good times there than any due to the good people we hunted with. Today I pay $1500. plus electricity for a bit over 200 acres. and share this with 3 others. We have deer, turkey, hogs,a place to fish and a few dove. We have the best owners of the property that i have ever worked with. We have a well and a old home we can use if needed. I have a RV that i keep there because of the creature comforts it does allow. I have been on this lease for almost 18 years and do enjoy all of it setting feeders or building a feeder pen. I guess the most I would pay for a lease would be around $3,500. I would like to hunt south Texas because of the many stories I have heard regarding the size and quantity of deer available but due to limits on $ I don't see the south Texas lease in the picture.
I have been able to,teach my son and more recently grandson about hunting and the outdoors in general. Might not have had as much opportunity to teach the boys if I was on a lease with others who were paying a higher lease fee. Having hunted this place for so long and getting up there in years, at times I think it would be nice to have more land to hunt for bigger deer. Would not take anything for all the pleasure I have had the last 18 years.

Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7578781 08/13/19 03:43 AM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I’m overpaying spending about $3500/year that increases 5% each year over 5 years for 10 member lease on 1100 acres in Hill Country. There is only 1 reason I’m on lease.

My wife, 2 kids, and I live 8 hours away from my sister, brother in law, niece and nephew. This lease is exactly half way between us. They are always on road with travel softball and don’t make effort to come out west. So this my my biggest opportunity for my wife and I to see our GodChildren and my kids to see their cousins several times a year.

Hunting is decent, no giants but tons of deer. Great place for kids to hunt. But if not for seeing my GodChildren, I wouldn’t pay more than $2500/year.

It’s not uncommon for every member on lease to be in blind see 20-30 deer at same time as others.

Last edited by sprigsss; 08/13/19 03:45 AM.
Re: PERFECT Deer Lease-what would you pay??? [Re: freerange] #7578872 08/13/19 12:15 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
$2,500 would be my limit. I'm not hunting for horns....well yes I am, but I don't have to have a 180 every year. Heck, I'm very happy with anything from 135-150. It's the fellowship at the lease that is important to me.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide