Print Thread
Ladder stand spooking deer? #7576949 08/10/19 05:32 PM
S
spoon33 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
S
Got drawn for a spot around a lake for the year, prob about 20 acres or so, archery only hunt. My question is do you think hanging a ladder stand will spook the deer compared to a hang on stand with screw in steps? You can access the land anytime starting Sept 1.

This is an annual draw, so every year someone has hunted this spot and either hung a stand/blind etc.

I was just trying to be detected as little as possible.

Last edited by spoon33; 08/10/19 06:14 PM.
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7577002 08/10/19 08:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Short answer - No, but be ready for the ambush.

I'm a strong believer in the old saying the best time to hunt any stand is the first time you crawl into it. I continue to use three-piece, steel ladder stands with smaller platforms that are no longer available because they're relatively easy to step up and move to new locations. While you and your stand might catch the attention of a more mature and wary buck the first time he sees it, it's likely well within the time you have to get off a shot.

I took this buck many years ago while hunting in Mississippi from one of my ladder stands that I had put up about an hour earlier. I picked a location that was between areas where existing box stands stood for many years. There was also a food plot in the area and my belief was an old buck might be passing through the area to scent check the food plot without being detected by anyone in the box stands. Yes, I also believe mature deer learn what's man made and will avoid it unless a hot doe means a lot more to them. As evidenced by the photo, my strategy was spot on. The buck made the mistake of snapping a twig that caught my attention. He was no more than 15 steps away and headed away from the direction of the food when I made a neck shot with my .270. My wife's uncle was hunting a box stand next to the food plot and reported he had never seen the buck on that or any day. Just goes to show the deer that can be on your place that you never see because you always hunt the same stand sites, year after year. Yes, they know and don't get old being stupid.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 08/10/19 08:41 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7577189 08/11/19 12:20 AM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Ladder stands are the only way to go. I have had deer rub against them while I was in them, make sure your backdrop is good, your movement is much more important than the structure.

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7577260 08/11/19 01:50 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
No just make sure your not in the open on the top of the the ladder. Shot this dude off a ladder. [Linked Image]

Last edited by Erny; 08/11/19 01:51 AM.
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7577399 08/11/19 12:23 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
If you put it up and use it same day you probably won't have much luck.
If you put it up at least 10 days to 2 weeks before opening morning it will be normal to the animals in area.
Choose a tree with good background to cover your silhouette.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7577430 08/11/19 01:35 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If a deer looks at your ladder stand and takes off it is because it smelled you, saw you move, or heard you move!
Don't approach your ladder from the same direction you expect to see the deer.
They can pick up your scent on the ground and the bushes so try to wear rubber boots if you can't avoid that approach.
I learned years ago when I fist started bowhunting where I had to cross a well used deer trail to enter my stand, and on my first sit I had a big doe walking down that trail and when she got to the spot I crossed that trail she come to a dead halt like she hit a wall, and then explode getting out of there.
I then started wearing rubber boots and ended up taking two deer out of that stand that season.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7578444 08/12/19 08:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I hunt out of tripods a lot for archery down in this area. What I do is to zip tie or wire tie small brush limbs to the legs of the tripod from the ground to the base....if I want to hunt it quickly after setting it up. I also spread corn all over the area to draw the deer in and let them get used to the blind or any scent I left behind. I will tie brush or tree limbs in front or behind when I need more cover. Evergreen brush or trees are my preference for this so they turn gradually from green to brown.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7579608 08/14/19 05:50 AM
D
Deersteaks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
stxranchman is spot on and I will go a step further. Go to Hobby lobby or even Walmart and buy some of the plastic Ivy and attach it to the legs and steps of the ladder. It will make it look like a limb or vine. As stated above, make sure the seat/platform area of the stand has good cover around it! Break up your outline and you become all but invisible, from their eye's anyway!

Re: Ladder stand spooking deer? [Re: spoon33] #7579704 08/14/19 12:56 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm not a big worrier when it comes to camo. I've hunted from my truck for the past 9 years due to back issues and been successful twice with my crossbow, and every year with my rifle.
I've had deer walk within just a few steps of my truck look at me and continue on after they figured I was just a parked truck. I even had a small buck walk up and sniff my tailgate for the corn I spilled in the bed while I was sitting in the truck with the window down, and then just continue on his way.
I guess the point I'm making is a truck looks natural to them as they are used to seeing the guy checking his cattle or driving farm equipment.
Making sure your image isn't sticking out there, and out of place is the most important and that you have enough limbs or brush behind you as to help cover your outline against the sky is the most important when setting up the stand.
Most of the time you aren't going to catch a deer flat footed as in not knowing there is something or someone there. At bow distance, any slight move or just your heart beating in your chest can give you away.
When I bowhunted from any stand I try to stay in the shadows when at all possible.
You are in their living room and just like you would, when you go in and move their furniture around they are going to notice. Especially that new piece, as in a camoed ladder stand. lol!
A predator strikes from cover, and your prey knows that as well.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide