Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Duck Hunters #7559490 07/18/19 05:38 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
Sitting around and started thinking about how I started duck hunting last year and how difficult it was being the first year. Learning where to go and finding spots to hunt. So i thought I would help out the newer hunters who have always wanted to duck hunt but didn't know how to start. Thinking about making a guide about how to start and mark spots for hunting. What do y'all think

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7559563 07/18/19 07:15 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I'm all for finding more spots lol

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7559653 07/18/19 09:22 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Look at the sticky thread, and the first 2 links. That tells you how to find ducks and duck hunting spots.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7559715 07/18/19 10:54 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
this should get interesting

Last edited by woodduckhunter; 07/18/19 10:54 PM.
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7559716 07/18/19 10:59 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I haven’t duck hunted in a while and would like some GPS coordinates to some good spots, close to the Metroplex.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7559736 07/18/19 11:22 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I heard this spot is legit! Easy access

[Linked Image]

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7559745 07/18/19 11:34 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Proof no good deed (or attempted good deed) goes un punished loser8

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7559918 07/19/19 04:28 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Lake Vinegrape was the hotspot last season

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Guy] #7559927 07/19/19 05:33 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Guy
Look at the sticky thread, and the first 2 links. That tells you how to find ducks and duck hunting spots.

Yep. Between those two articles and the ones under "Published articles online related to Texas Public Hunting Lands" near the bottom of that page, it pretty much covers it. The rest of the links on that page with a few click-throughs will lead to information and rules for pretty much every public waterfowl hunting area in the state or at the very least to contact information of the controlling authority to contact. I will check the links and update them as season gets closer. It has cut way down on the lake naming posts and hopefully helped some people.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7568050 07/30/19 08:39 PM
A
AustinBush Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
New to the forum grin

I don't think you need to tell people where to hunt specifically. However giving some people some beginner tips is useful since everyone starts new at some point and we either learn from someone directly or we do it by trial and error.

Last edited by AustinBush; 07/30/19 08:39 PM.
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7568058 07/30/19 08:46 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
A one year fella teaching a no year fella. Seems like a great idea. Like a 17byear old teaching drivers Ed!

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: ducknbass] #7568073 07/30/19 09:03 PM
A
AustinBush Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by ducknbass
A one year fella teaching a no year fella. Seems like a great idea. Like a 17byear old teaching drivers Ed!

So you're nominating yourself to help teach someone new?

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: AustinBush] #7568095 07/30/19 09:39 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by AustinBush
New to the forum grin

I don't think you need to tell people where to hunt specifically. However giving some people some beginner tips is useful since everyone starts new at some point and we either learn from someone directly or we do it by trial and error.

Newbies need to ask questions. I started ducking hunting 2003, pretty much self taught. Had a buddy show me my first spot, had a game warden show me my second spot. All the rest I found on my own. Joined this forum 2005, still very much a newbie, I asked a ton a questions, got a ton of answers and learned a hell of a lot, but never ones asked where to find ducks. First of all, I got to much pride for that, but if you don't like the "chase", the challenge of finding ducks on your own, you won't last long as duck hunter anyway, you will get tired of it. The duck hunters that just like to shoot come and go.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: AustinBush] #7568145 07/30/19 10:21 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by ducknbass

So you're nominating yourself to help teach someone new?

No, I don't believe the articles about hunter numbers declining.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Guy] #7568239 07/30/19 11:57 PM
A
AustinBush Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
Originally Posted by Guy
New to the forum grin

Newbies need to ask questions. I started ducking hunting 2003, pretty much self taught. Had a buddy show me my first spot, had a game warden show me my second spot. All the rest I found on my own. Joined this forum 2005, still very much a newbie, I asked a ton a questions, got a ton of answers and learned a hell of a lot, but never ones asked where to find ducks. First of all, I got to much pride for that, but if you don't like the "chase", the challenge of finding ducks on your own, you won't last long as duck hunter anyway, you will get tired of it. The duck hunters that just like to shoot come and go.

I agree 100%

I don't believe you need to be told exactly where to hunt or have someone scout for you, that's the fun and adventure in hunting, is to find those spots on your own. I've been dove hunting for the last few years and just now want to pick up ducking. I have zero clue on what I am doing but I've been reading/watching and trying to self teach myself as much as possible and for the rest I've come on here to seek knowledge and maybe even find a hunting friend or two.

I don't expect someone to provide me with the places where to hunt but I am always humble for knowledge and help. If I get lucky, as you, to find someone to show me the ropes and teach me I am more then happy to put the work in but if not I will go trial and error.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7568404 07/31/19 03:01 AM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Monster_Raxx
Sitting around and started thinking about how I started duck hunting last year and how difficult it was being the first year. Learning where to go and finding spots to hunt. So i thought I would help out the newer hunters who have always wanted to duck hunt but didn't know how to start. Thinking about making a guide about how to start and mark spots for hunting. What do y'all think

One aspect that new guys may not think of doing is just go out early and just sit , listen and watch the morning unfold with coffee in hand but no gun in hand. Boat is best but a yak or even walk in spots can be utilized. Bring solid glass to expand your view. Watch where birds are going and listen for gun shots. They need to understand they are hunting...as that is part of the whole game.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: AustinBush] #7568445 07/31/19 03:39 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If I get lucky, as you, to find someone to show me the ropes and teach me

No I wasn't lucky and had someone show me the ropes and teach me, especially the scouting and finding the ducks.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: BDB] #7568472 07/31/19 05:13 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by BDB
....Bring solid glass to expand your view. Watch where birds are going and listen for gun shots.....

Aka "Boom scouting". Late one Saturday morning while hunting Snipe around holes in a mud flat on a what had always been a poor duck hunting area I watched not one, not two, but three duck boats poling and pushing through the shallow timber to get to where I was Snipe hunting that morning. It was a great morning for Snipe hunting with lots of shooting on my part. I know for sure the closest boat watched me with binoculars for several minutes before working their way back to the main lake. I bet that place was packed with duck hunters the next weekend.

There is a great open shallow hole from what was once a giant beaver pond in the woods off the Bob that I sometimes hunt in high water years. It is overlooked by other hunters because you have to walk away from the lake to get to it and there is just enough brush in around it that it don't show up well on google earth. I never ever hunt it on weekend days due to boom scouters on that lake. Boom scouting I suppose can be utilized in a way that does not effect the hunters already there, but more often than not those that rely on boom scouting are more like competition hunters that will either make a plan to beat you to the hole the next morning or weekend, build a blind on it after you leave to claim it as their own, or worse set up just down wind of you.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Sniper John] #7569173 08/01/19 02:35 AM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Originally Posted by BDB
....Bring solid glass to expand your view. Watch where birds are going and listen for gun shots.....

Aka "Boom scouting". Late one Saturday morning while hunting Snipe around holes in a mud flat on a what had always been a poor duck hunting area I watched not one, not two, but three duck boats poling and pushing through the shallow timber to get to where I was Snipe hunting that morning. It was a great morning for Snipe hunting with lots of shooting on my part. I know for sure the closest boat watched me with binoculars for several minutes before working their way back to the main lake. I bet that place was packed with duck hunters the next weekend.

There is a great open shallow hole from what was once a giant beaver pond in the woods off the Bob that I sometimes hunt in high water years. It is overlooked by other hunters because you have to walk away from the lake to get to it and there is just enough brush in around it that it don't show up well on google earth. I never ever hunt it on weekend days due to boom scouters on that lake. Boom scouting I suppose can be utilized in a way that does not effect the hunters already there, but more often than not those that rely on boom scouting are more like competition hunters that will either make a plan to beat you to the hole the next morning or weekend, build a blind on it after you leave to claim it as their own, or worse set up just down wind of you.

I agree and I did not mean my words to imply newbies to go boom scout....but to learn where most of the other hunters are and use that knowledge in a positive way.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7569698 08/01/19 08:27 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I think it is bad manners to visit an area where one heard shooting while other hunters are there. Having said that, I would not be honest if I didn't say I have taken note of shotgun noise and gone to scout the area some other day. If I see them at the launch and they appear to have a steady honey hole, I will leave it alone for this season. If it appeared to be a one time hunt, I may move in on it. The next year is a reset in my book. New season scouting is a clean slate and if I can scout it and get there before others I will. So, in a sense I do boom scout but it isn't my primary method. There are other ways to determine if a place has been heavily hunted without hearing the shots. Still, best method is to watch where the ducks come from and go to.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7576122 08/09/19 04:27 PM
A
ArkansasTraveler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
Didn't you ask this same question on a Facebook group? Pretty sure you argued with everyone that suggested you either shouldn't do it, or wait until you are more seasoned

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7576540 08/10/19 12:58 AM
T
tophorsecop Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
This is why I pick up every empty shotgun shell I see...whether I shot it or it was there when I got there...it makes it just a little tougher to pinpoint the spots I hunt.

"Guns don't kill people, Guns kill dinner!"
Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: jnd59] #7576569 08/10/19 01:52 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jnd59
I think it is bad manners to visit an area where one heard shooting while other hunters are there.

That is ridiculous. Its part of the game, bring your 3 barney friends to a duck hole and shoot 200 rounds you are gonna give away your spot. When I'm on a lake, I know all spots, I know where all the gun fire is coming from. Keep your shots to a minimum or I will be there.

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7576598 08/10/19 02:39 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
hunt with metroguns.
ducks cant hear you
yahoos cant hear you

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: New Duck Hunters [Re: tophorsecop] #7576642 08/10/19 03:47 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by tophorsecop
This is why I pick up every empty shotgun shell I see...whether I shot it or it was there when I got there...it makes it just a little tougher to pinpoint the spots I hunt.

Just don't shoot my drone and all is well smile

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide