Page 1 of 2 1 2
Most memorable shots #7571785 08/04/19 07:49 PM
P
pervis Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
What's your best shot? I've hunted for 30 plus years w my dad. My personal best are of course doubles, and I've had 2 where I've shot 2 birds w one shot. My dad will knock em dead, I mean hes literally the best shot I've ever seen. One funny one he had is he dropped a bird while dropping a deuce.
What's some of your favorite or memorable shots?

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7571835 08/04/19 08:51 PM
T
twdjr Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
A couple memorable were a pair a specks that were skirting the outside of spread, I killed both and both were banded. They were a mating pair. Another was a pair of snows decoying in and I killed both and both were banded. They were a mating pair also.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7571895 08/04/19 09:53 PM
W
Windrider Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
Best I’ve see:

Decades ago I once bet my father that he couldn’t hit one of the two crows that were constantly fighting about 65 yards (diagonally to the right) from where we were sitting while dove hunting. He had just turned 70 years old, it was over 95 degrees, and I was being anything but serious.

He thinks about it and reply’s no, but he’d be willing to go double or nothing if he could walk out to where he was perpendicular to the crows and he’d shoot them both with one shot as they passed each other in the air.

Incredulous, I replied two meals on the bet you scotch double two moving targets at 50 yards...on purpose? Done.

So he walks out and smokes both birds with one shot. Walks back and says as though there could have been any other outcome...he thinks del friscos would be wonderful.

BTW The answer to the question of what is the best dove load and choke is and forever will be: Remington Express Long Range #6 out of a full choke 1958 Browning Automatic 12ga. When we hunted together he wouldn’t even shoulder his gun until I’d fired all three shots.

Last edited by Windrider; 08/04/19 09:54 PM.

Thought for the day: Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7571930 08/04/19 10:32 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Years ago a buddy and I were hunting an area that had us sitting about 10’ above the water line. 4 redheads came around a point, fast, low and in a tight group. They were heading from our 10 o’clock to 4 o’clock. Pulled up on the lead bird, pulled the trigger and all 4 dropped.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: 68A] #7571933 08/04/19 10:33 PM
B
brazosboyt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
There was this one time in Mexico....,

Shooting with the right hand a videoing with the left.

[Linked Image]

Went 700/750 that morning.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7571966 08/04/19 11:09 PM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
Hunting with my father and some of his friends in South Louisiana in 1973. I had not been hitting real well and we set up in a hole on a rice field on the last morning. There was a lone white goose flying probably 70 yards up. I threw the shotgun up and heard my father say "don't shoot" about the time I pulled the trigger. To his surprise, the goose started cartwheeling to ground. My dad was dumbfounded. I hit the goose with two number two shot, one hit it's neck and one hit and broke it's right wingbone.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572030 08/05/19 12:06 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I was about 12 living south of Uvalde...hunting with my dad...had two staggered and trailing pair cross over way high....first pair was a fair ways ahead of the second pair. I had a single shot 410. Took a leading shot at the lead bird in the front pair and dropped the trailing bird from the following pair.... rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572241 08/05/19 05:01 AM
P
pervis Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
I did once shoot a dove w one hand told my buddy watch this...dove was dead. A few guys say bet u can't do that again, next bird, boom! Dead again shooting w one hand. I will admit I did have. a beer in the other. Miss those south texas Devine dove hunts.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572466 08/05/19 03:20 PM
S
Slimpickin Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
My first Quail hunt, carrying a single shot .410. Single bird got up, I shot, and watched him soon fall to the ground. My dad laughed at me and told me the bird was looking back at me, laughing and didn't see the barb wire fence. Apparently, he was "Clotheslined" and broke his own neck. No birdshot found when cleaning the bird. I shot and he fell....always claimed him as my first Quail!
cowboy texas

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572508 08/05/19 03:51 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I was at the family farm hunting doves in a wide open pasture, catching them coming up from the pond to the roost. In came three doves and I shot a triple. I loaded up ASAP cuz I didn't have a dog and wasn't sure if they were hit well. Turns out they were, but I looked up and there was another group. Shot another triple, all in about 10 seconds.

Meanwhile, my brother was having a rare off day and he was watching the whole thing. nuts

At the same farm on a different hunt, I was with my son and a fellow THF'r. He can shoot, but for some reason couldn't hit the broad side of a barn that afternoon. One crossed not more than 10 yards and he shot. I've seen some pretty blown up birds before, but there was literally nothing left. Not even a wing. Just a puff of feathers, almost like it vaporized. Well, turns out he didn't listen to me and he didn't change out his choke. He was shooting a full choke the whole time.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572539 08/05/19 04:24 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I will preface this with stating I am horrible at wing shooting. Too many things happening at once. Find the bird. Let the bird get into range. Get gun up. Mount gun properly. Head down on barrels. Lead bird. Pull trigger. Pull trigger again. Reload gun. Repeat. Every once in a while I break this cycle by accidentally actually shooting a bird, but that is rare. Some years are better than others, I guess the key is that I need to go and shoot more than once a year.

A few years back, I pulled off the best kill of them all though. It was getting late in the day, and as always, I had missed more than I had hit. My cousin was out shooting me. My buddy was out shooting me. A friend brought his kid on his first hunting trip and the kid was out shooting me. I was feeling pretty low.

We had been hunting in this little “island” in the middle of a cultivated field. Everyone was facing a different point. It was rather slow and the birds were coming in one by one. This one dove came in. I shot twice and missed. Cousin shot and missed. Buddy shot and missed. The kid shot and missed. And this poor bird just kept circling trying to get out of our shooting zone. Finally it came flying back around to me. I was empty, and here come the bird. I did what I thought was a good idea and reached out and smacked it down with the barrel of my gun.

That’s right. I hit it with the gun.

Anyone can shoot them. You know anyone else who has smacked a dove out of the sky with the barrel?

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572676 08/05/19 07:01 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
my first triple on doves with a pump was very memorable and it took me forever to find all three but i was not giving up. back when the limit for teal during early teal season was five i shot a limit in two shots, four on the first shot and one more with the second shot.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572755 08/05/19 08:07 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I was hunting up north in the prairie pothole region with my longtime hunting buddy back close to 18 years ago. Just us and our two young dogs knocking around. While up there we met four hunters from Indiana who were staying at the same motel. After a couple afternoons of talking hunting and drinking a few beers, they invited us to goose hunt with them the next morning. It was a stellar hunt. The boys from Indiana were skilled shotguners and even better with their short reed goose calls. We were all limited with our 3 Canada geese within 45 minutes of legal shooting time. After we picked up our gear, in an attempt to return the favor, we invited them to hunt ducks with us on a field feed in the stubble out of layouts in a harvested wheat field the next morning. They had informed us they had never dry land hunted for ducks. Whether we shot over our heads that morning or not I’m not commenting on. With the extra help the next morning, our big field spread was deployed and vehicles were parked with 45 minutes to spare. While we waited for shooting light, my buddy proceeded to drain an entire quart thermos full of coffee. With a minute or so before legal, and the sky lighting up, he walked about 60 yards over by some bailed wheat straw at the fields edge so as not to flare any birds that might decoy to piss. Well right at legal light a big group of mallards with a few wigeon mixed in dropped in out of the stratosphere. I scratched a drake wigeon and two mallard drakes. About 30 seconds later I tripled again on mallard drakes. My buddy was fuming. I might have been talking a little smack to him about what he had in his hand. He calmly said the only thing left to do was shoot his limit in five shots. A few minutes later, a big group of mallards decoyed low and tight. My buddy quickly tripled on mallard drakes. Just as the dogs were bringing in the last two, a group of close to 200 mallards with one lone pintail right in the middle cupped in. Like a surgeon with a scalpel, my buddy cleanly plucked the penny out of the middle of the flock. Then we all heard him say “there it is” and he scotch doubled on mallard drakes to fill his six bird limit in five shots. A little less than 8 minutes had elapsed from legal shooting time. Those Indiana boys were lookin’ at us bug eyed. The skies continued to open and it was an epic hunt with quick limits and good times all around. We have made a few hunts each year with those boys and grew a strong friendship. The Hoosiers have brought a few new buddies into the fold. Each time we are introduced to the newbys by them recanting the “f’n Texans” display of prowess with a shotgun on that first duck hunt.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7572796 08/05/19 09:00 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pervis
I did once shoot a dove w one hand told my buddy watch this...dove was dead. A few guys say bet u can't do that again, next bird, boom! Dead again shooting w one hand. I will admit I did have. a beer in the other. Miss those south texas Devine dove hunts.

Your supposed to say "Here, hold my beer and watch this."

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7574609 08/08/19 12:06 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Hunting with Dad, my uncle, and a cousin about 40 years ago. We were sitting in a mesquite break late evening on the bank of the Brazos. We'd been seeing birds zipping in to water all evening, fast snap shooting. This lazy crow passes in front of us. I think his slowness messed everyone up. One by one, everyone shoot, and everyone missed, even Dad. I was last in line, about 12, had a bolt action .410, and a Ruger Standard on my hip. Dad looked at me like, "it's up to you!". I'd put a LOT of rounds through that Standard. I laid the .410 down and took aim with the Ruger. I fired, the crow kept flying. Dad muttered something, but I knew I'd hit that damn bird, so I said, "Just a minute.". Sure enough, after a few wing flaps the crow folded and plummeted. Never was so proud in my life. That was the last dove hunt with all of us together. Dad's gone now, and Uncle only has a few days left according to the doctors.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7574901 08/08/19 01:00 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
At about 16 yrs old, I shot a dove flying toward me with My old Ithaca 37 - 20ga. and caught it before it hit the ground.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7575745 08/09/19 04:46 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
A triple, 3 shots, 3 birds. Lightning storm in the background so I was spending time in the truck too and still got the only 15 bird limit on the field. Back when mojos worked. But the triple was cool and still remember. They were together but far apart crossing in a diagonal.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7575786 08/09/19 11:08 AM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Friend of mine back when we were kids shot a hummingbird on the wing with a rubber band and a staple.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: snake oil] #7576273 08/09/19 07:21 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by snake oil
Friend of mine back when we were kids shot a hummingbird on the wing with a rubber band and a staple.

I used to shoot flies with those large rubber bands from about 15 feet. Does that count?

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7576336 08/09/19 08:17 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
The hummingbird thing reminds me of the best shot I've ever witnessed. My son and I were in the back yard on grackle patrol with a 10 year old Daisy Red Ryder - I hate those sumbiches poopin all over everything. A couple of crows flew over and for grins he took a shot. Took a solid second for the BB to get there, but we heard it thump the crow in the chest. It didn't hurt it at all, but I was shocked he hit it. When I asked he said he gave it a 10+ ft lead LOL.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7576425 08/09/19 10:30 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
3 of us where jumping this long thin slew in the trinity bottoms so we spread out probably 30-40 yards and walked into it. a pair of woodies comes down the slough from my left to right and i knock them both down one by one. They crumple up stone dead and didn't have a father out of place. Not a very long shot and nothing really special abut the shooting. Just nice smooth shots on a pair of perfect woodies that i wish i had gotten mounted and is one of those memories that reflect on often.

5 of us where hunting a pothole up in the panhandle. a lone mallard drakes flies by from our right to left, he was just out of range and no one raised up. i had the though the whole time i can take that shot, i raised up, shouldered the run and pulled the trigger and he tumbled out of the sky. i'm not going to talk distance, but he was out there and likely got hit by a golden pellet. another memorable hunt and shot, we shot our limits of greenheads and some kicker widgeon and bonus canada geese.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: 2flyfish4] #7576448 08/09/19 11:05 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This was pretty memorable... 10 years ago on my duck lease me and my son Ryan he was 12 at the time, we had 2 ringers circle us clockwise come in from behind you can see, my son gets excited he says "ah Dad they come in behind us", then they come around you hear the whisling wings as they fly over the camera I had about 35 yards from us, I smoke the first one, my son gets the second one, takes him 2 shots after he shoots the tail feathers off with the first shot. All this happens in 17 second video below. I named the video station 8, because in skeet, this is just like a station 8 shot, you hit it and blow it to bits, thank goodness, one less ringer I had to clean and eat. grin

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7576539 08/10/19 12:57 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
3 dove with 1 shot in the Oklahoma panhandle area around 2004.

Last year was an 86 yard shot on a low passing dove.

A few years ago I killed a dove with a passthrough shot on a doe.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7579541 08/14/19 02:31 AM
S
steve_twice Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
When I was a kid we dove hunted a family friends property. As we were gathering on the front porch after the hunt, a dove landed on the porch rail. The old man who owned the property pointed his finger at the dove and yelled "BANG!" The bird took off and immediately flew into a power line and dropped dead.

Re: Most memorable shots [Re: pervis] #7579568 08/14/19 03:26 AM
T
TOMCAT21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Have had several doubles/triples while duck hunting but most memorable doubles ever were last year while dove hunting with my son near Lubbock when I had THREE one-shot doubles on whitewings on the same hunt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide