Print Thread
Question about "duty to inform". #7571441 08/04/19 04:17 AM
J
J. Preston Bailey Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Suppose one is returning from a hunting trip in TX. One has a rifle or shotgun unloaded inside a gun case in the back seat of the crew cab pickup or even under the locked camper shell with the dogs.

Suppose a cop stops the homeward-bound hunter for perhaps a broken taillight.

Is it then the duty of the driver to tell the cop that he is transporting a gun in his vehicle even if the cop doesn't' ask about firearms?

Does "duty to inform" only pertain to carrying handguns in Texas?

America First: We are not the global welfare office of the world.
Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571471 08/04/19 07:50 AM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Another question: does TX "duty to inform" extend to:

-unloaded cased handguns under the front seat of a pickup truck or in the interior of an automobile?

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571480 08/04/19 10:38 AM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your only responsibility is to hand the officer your TDL and your TLTC. You need not say a word. If he asks, it is your duty to answer truthfully.

I just hand them both. They usually thank me for informing them and hand back the TLTC. it is a good ice breaker and identifies you as a good guy.

If the officer starts asking for details, try very hard to keep it light, as you are now dealing with a nervous rookie.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: Cast] #7571644 08/04/19 04:16 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Cast
Your only responsibility is to hand the officer your TDL and your TLTC. You need not say a word. If he asks, it is your duty to answer truthfully.

I just hand them both. They usually thank me for informing them and hand back the TLTC. it is a good ice breaker and identifies you as a good guy.

If the officer starts asking for details, try very hard to keep it light, as you are now dealing with a nervous rookie.

I don’t think you have to hand them your license to carry anymore. Pretty sure the law changed. I hand it to them anyway like you said it identifies you as a good guy.

OP why would you be riding around with an unloaded pistol under your front seat? I ride everyday with my carry gun on me and an AR15 under my back seat. Unloaded firearms are useless might as well carry a rock instead.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: KRoyal] #7572035 08/05/19 12:11 AM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by Cast

I don’t think you have to hand them your license to carry anymore. Pretty sure the law changed. I hand it to them anyway like you said it identifies you as a good guy.

OP why would you be riding around with an unloaded pistol under your front seat? I ride everyday with my carry gun on me and an AR15 under my back seat. Unloaded firearms are useless might as well carry a rock instead.

I don't have a handgun license (CCW). I still may want to TRANSPORT my handgun in my vehicle but don't want trouble with the law. Having the unloaded handgun in a locked case separate from the rounds pretty much keeps one universally safe from running afoul of the law in virtually all the states. In a standard cab pickup, the only place you can probably put a cased handgun out of the way is under the seat. In a Ford Ranger or F-150 standard cab truck, I've owned two before, there is usually a shelf behind the seat you can stow a handgun case. A cased handgun probably won't fit in the glove compartment.

I will have to learn more about Texas vehicle gun transport laws. I think in California, the gun case also has to be locked up unless it is in the trunk. Pickups have no trunk.

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/05/19 12:31 AM.

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7572085 08/05/19 01:05 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
In Texas under the castle doctrine you’re perfectly legal to travel with the handgun loaded in your vehicles glove box or center console. Has the be concealed but not concealed on your person if you don’t have a LTC.

[Linked Image]

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7572280 08/05/19 10:34 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have no LTC, not interested in doing it or getting a license of any kind. However, when I travel I generally toss a handgun in the side door pocket. Legal or illegal? Duty to inform?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: Dave Davidson] #7572600 08/05/19 05:23 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I have no LTC, not interested in doing it or getting a license of any kind. However, when I travel I generally toss a handgun in the side door pocket. Legal or illegal? Duty to inform?

I like to keep handguns in cases for protection while transporting unless I am carrying in a fanny pack right on my person provided I'm within the law for this kind of carry.

Years ago, I had a CCW in Idaho. A license WAS required for carry within any "city limits" in ID. One could pack in the boonies in ID sans CCW.

In 2016, Gov. Otter made ID a CC state. The CCW was no longer necessary in most cases except on a college/university campus in ID.

One needs something special called an "enhanced" handgun license to pack heat on campus in ID.

I lived in Boise until this last May. In Idaho, now one can even pack inside the state capitol in Boise., sans license.

I will no longer need a CCW in OK starting Nov. 1.

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/05/19 05:24 PM.

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7574638 08/08/19 12:48 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Per castle doctrine u may have concealed weapon in your vehicle even on your person
Texas does not have a duty to inform
If asked be honest it goes along way most won't ask if you don't offer unless ya already effed up

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7574687 08/08/19 02:04 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
No duty to inform. I’ve been pulled over plenty and was loaded down with guns. Never had an officer even bother asking. Last time I showed my LTC he just handed it back to me and said nothing.

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: Dave Davidson] #7575033 08/08/19 03:12 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

I think in your vehicle you are good without a CCW, but it needs to be concealed and not in plain sight.

Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7575373 08/08/19 09:28 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The law did change where you do not have to inform. You also are not required to hand over your LTC, but I certainly do. And I also inform them that I am carrying and where it is. I want them to know and feel safe. It goes a long way!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Question about "duty to inform". [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7575607 08/09/19 01:16 AM
F
FWFish Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
As others have stated, Texas does not require informing the officer, but I believe Oklahoma (OP's State) does.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide