Forums46
Topics537,021
Posts9,719,489
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? #7571493 08/04/19 11:23 AM
J
J. Preston Bailey Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Are there plenty of public places for DIY deer hunting in TX without expensive guides?

I'd prefer to take does as favorable table meat over bucks.

I prefer regular gun seasons for CF bolt-action rifles.

I'm neither Robin Hood nor a smokepoler.

America First: We are not the global welfare office of the world.
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571528 08/04/19 01:03 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
There is some public land but most of Tx is private

The public land I know of is shotgun or bow only

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571535 08/04/19 01:06 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Find someone with an MLD that has to kill a boat load of deer.... 2cents

Check with the TP&W Biologist in your area...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: GusWayne] #7571558 08/04/19 01:45 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
It sounds like Texas is no longer the big wild open country that cowboy movies make it out to be.

Originally Posted by procraft05

It sounds like Texas is no longer the big wild open country that cowboy movies and Disney's "Old Yeller"
make it out to be. You just can't don your buckskins, boots and coonskin cap, grab your rifle and saddle your mule and
head for the woods anymore as back in 1875. Things are BIG in TX, Texas-sized, EXCEPT publically-held real estate,
I now gather.

It sounds like TX is now a hunting haven for the monied folk and the landed gentry.
I might also consider hunting deer in next-door New Mexico and Oklahoma as well. I guess TX is more a Confederate state
than the "wild, wild west". Now, I understand that most doves and pheasants are apt to be shot on private land, probably ducks too.
Most of the Confederate south is private too but I've seen cheap $500 deer packages listed for such states as Georgia and North Carolina.
You pay a fee and get a dirt-road-side station with your shotgun for hounds to push deer into your position.

I can also see if the any of the landed gentry in TX have reasonable priced deer packages: when I see deer hunts listed
on line for $1,000, $2,000 and more, I get a bit disheartened. I don't want trophy just meat anyway. If I could relieve a TX landowner
of two pesky whitetail or mule does for about $750 a pair, I wouldn't complain. I think of TX as being big open country where only a long-range DEER rifle
in a CF deer caliber as .243, ,257 Roberts, .270, .308 or .30-06 might cut it. I liked the American West when it was much wilder.

It seems like New Mexico is still largely public real estate and perhaps a good piece of Colorado. My native Arizona as well as Utah and Nevada even more so.
Sooner State is also mostly privately held. An "Outdoorsman Haven" is likely to be a state that is largely public especially for big game.

Sometimes landowners open up private land to hunters through access programs through the game departments.

I found this on TX land history:

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/public-land-texas-brief-history/

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/04/19 02:31 PM.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7571595 08/04/19 02:50 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Plenty of places to kill doe at a reasonable cost, takes a little effort on your part to find them.
You might get an invite from some nice person if you have the 'right' attitude.

Hint; There are hundreds of LO's that are members of this site, dozens of folks that 'know a place', many inexpensive hunting leases available.

But, when you start off complaining about how different hunting in Tx is compared to wherever, how much 'better' hunting public lands in other states is, how you prefer states that don't have the same LO rights as Tx and spout off nonsense you severely limit your options, wether you know it or not.

---> TPWD Public hunting

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571598 08/04/19 02:54 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by J. Preston Bailey
It sounds like Texas is no longer the big wild open country that cowboy movies make it out to be.

Originally Posted by procraft05

It sounds like Texas is no longer the big wild open country that cowboy movies and Disney's "Old Yeller"
make it out to be. You just can't don your buckskins, boots and coonskin cap, grab your rifle and saddle your mule and
head for the woods anymore as back in 1875. Things are BIG in TX, Texas-sized, EXCEPT publically-held real estate,
I now gather.

It sounds like TX is now a hunting haven for the monied folk and the landed gentry.
I might also consider hunting deer in next-door New Mexico and Oklahoma as well. I guess TX is more a Confederate state
than the "wild, wild west". Now, I understand that most doves and pheasants are apt to be shot on private land, probably ducks too.
Most of the Confederate south is private too but I've seen cheap $500 deer packages listed for such states as Georgia and North Carolina.
You pay a fee and get a dirt-road-side station with your shotgun for hounds to push deer into your position.

I can also see if the any of the landed gentry in TX have reasonable priced deer packages: when I see deer hunts listed
on line for $1,000, $2,000 and more, I get a bit disheartened. I don't want trophy just meat anyway. If I could relieve a TX landowner
of two pesky whitetail or mule does for about $750 a pair, I wouldn't complain. I think of TX as being big open country where only a long-range DEER rifle
in a CF deer caliber as .243, ,257 Roberts, .270, .308 or .30-06 might cut it. I liked the American West when it was much wilder.

It seems like New Mexico is still largely public real estate and perhaps a good piece of Colorado. My native Arizona as well as Utah and Nevada even more so.
Sooner State is also mostly privately held. An "Outdoorsman Haven" is likely to be a state that is largely public especially for big game.

Sometimes landowners open up private land to hunters through access programs through the game departments.

I found this on TX land history:

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/public-land-texas-brief-history/

I can’t even finish reading your drivel. Take your broke [censored] commie BS somewhere else. You don’t like TX, GTFO.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7571609 08/04/19 03:17 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I'm not even in TX yet. I'm trying to get to know more about it.

I now understand that most of the TX real estate is in private hands and that one
will likely have to "pay to play" in the Lone Star outdoors.

I'm not twisting anybody's arms to read my so-called drivel.

Is the notion of ownership of land by the public a "commie" one.

I like to think of American land as for the common American people.

Texas, you asked to be annexed into the Union now live with it.

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/04/19 03:18 PM.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: Rustler] #7571614 08/04/19 03:23 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Rustler
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Plenty of places to kill doe at a reasonable cost, takes a little effort on your part to find them.
You might get an invite from some nice person if you have the 'right' attitude.

Hint; There are hundreds of LO's that are members of this site, dozens of folks that 'know a place', many inexpensive hunting leases available.

But, when you start off complaining about how different hunting in Tx is compared to wherever, how much 'better' hunting public lands in other states is, how you prefer states that don't have the same LO rights as Tx and spout off nonsense you severely limit your options, wether you know it or not.

---> TPWD Public hunting

America has 50 states in the Union and most are available for hunting to some extent. Chances are some Lone Star natives cross state lines to hunt each season.
The father east one travels in the Lower 48, the more the land is private, the farther toward the west coast, the more the land is public.

I'm just shocked to find out how a state so far west as TX is so private. I'm just finding this out this morning and I'm age 55.

They don't teach these things in public schools where I went.

Hollywood and TV has just given me the impression over several decades that TX was large, open and highly unsettled.

I have really gotten false ideas over the years. TX is number one in oil production but most Americans think of cowboys, coyotes, horny toads, rattlesnakes and

desert whenever they hear the word "Texas" uttered.

For all I know, does shot on private land will probably taste much better than deer shot on BLM property. The only question I have now

is can I afford the price of admission to this land?

As an American, I'm never particularly proud of any statehood I live in. I'm not particularly proud of my own native Arizona.

I'm an American first and take pride in the nation as Our Founding Fathers had envisioned her to be. I'm ashamed to see the American
landscape these days overrun with trash, pollution, graffitti, foreigners, ghetto attitude, broken-down infrasture and trashy-looking people everywhere. I was born in 1964.
This is not the land I used to know in the 20th century.

I sympathize with this Native American:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm66Ww6qTpA

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/04/19 03:52 PM.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571617 08/04/19 03:40 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I think we have a current forum member posting under a new screen name/second account judging by the theme and content of your posts.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571619 08/04/19 03:41 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Your insufferable. Just stay out. It’s gonna be easiest for everyone.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7571631 08/04/19 03:55 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

What is your problem? Don't you dare tell me what to do. I'm not insufferable; I'm a law-abiding American citizen and a veteran.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571632 08/04/19 03:55 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
More nonsensical babble.

Depends on If you consider $2000 and up for a year around hunting lease (all legal game, pigs, predators & fishing if available) affordable.
Prices vary considerably from around the above to substantially more, depends on location & what you want from a lease.

Seems like you don't want to do any of your own leg work, try clicking on the link provided & see what all is offered in Tx, public / drawn, low cost.
You won't be successful without putting some of your own effort into it.
Browse the lands & leases section.

You've been given good suggestions, seems you just want to biatch about it instead of actually putting a little effort into it & doing something to find a place / places to hunt.

Your attitude has already excluded yourself from a place where you can tag out before 9am opening day. Your piss poor entitled lazy want something for nothing attitude is going to make finding something decent & reasonable much harder than it needs to be.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: stxranchman] #7571638 08/04/19 03:59 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I think we have a current forum member posting under a new screen name/second account judging by the theme and content of your posts.

Incorrect thinking, Mr.

My number one consideration for relocating to Lone Star is employment opportunity, cost of living and overall quality of living.

Deer hunting is lower in my priority anyway.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571642 08/04/19 04:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Incorrect thinking, Mr.

My number one consideration for relocating to Lone Star is employment opportunity, cost of living and overall quality of living.

Deer hunting is lower in my priority anyway.

You control all those aspects and future of your life. Coming on a forum to look for them is not the answer. You have to drive to those areas in Texas you are thinking about. Drive from town to town and look for yourself to make your own judgments and opinions. Studying the internet is not going to answer those questions. The quality of life you are looking for is not going to find you.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571645 08/04/19 04:19 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

What is your problem? Don't you dare tell me what to do. I'm not insufferable; I'm a law-abiding American citizen and a veteran.

Thanks for your service, but indeed you do seem quite insufferable.

Badmouthing your home state of AZ tells a lot. & the whining & complaining about how things are done in another state, that you know nothing about, insulting Texas landowners & hunters & feeling like your entitled to a cheap deer hunt on someone else land indicates a lot about you, & none of it is good. Not to mention the nonsensical rambling about Confederate states/land.

Had you come on here respectfully, you probably could have got some doe hunts for cheap or maybe even free. But your attitude is hateful & ignorant. You don’t know dick about how things are done here. If that’s your attitude, you won’t like it here.

Sounds like you wanna move here because we have it so good, but you bitch about how things are here, & wanna change them.

What you call “landed gentry” some might call “generations of hard work & caring for their land”

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 08/04/19 04:23 PM.
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: Rustler] #7571646 08/04/19 04:20 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Rustler
More nonsensical babble.

Depends on If you consider $2000 and up for a year around hunting lease (all legal game, pigs, predators & fishing if available) affordable.
Prices vary considerably from around the above to substantially more, depends on location & what you want from a lease.

Seems like you don't want to do any of your own leg work, try clicking on the link provided & see what all is offered in Tx, public / drawn, low cost.
You won't be successful without putting some of your own effort into it.
Browse the lands & leases section.

You've been given good suggestions, seems you just want to biatch about it instead of actually putting a little effort into it & doing something to find a place / places to hunt.

Your attitude has already excluded yourself from a place where you can tag out before 9am opening day. Your piss poor entitled lazy want something for nothing attitude is going to make finding something decent & reasonable much harder than it needs to be.

My attitude, OK, I'm ignorant. I don't know much about TX hunting at all. I'm being humble here and admitting it.

I do understand that it may be a challenge for a greenhorn to hunt in Lone Star. Whenever the word "drawing" appears connected with the word

"hunting", it means hunting resources are scarce and people are competing for places and opportunities to hunt. It's sort of a rat race.

I have a few things to learn and I'm willing. I will give my Google a good workout before posting another deer thread at this site.

My promise.

PS - I've not seen any $2,000 season-long lease deals yet. I've googled "deer hunting in Texas" and have come up with 1-4 day package deals from outfitters.
Most of the ones I've seen are $750 on up to several thousands for one to four days.

I don't plan to do a LOT of hunting in one season. Two does per season max and that's it. Maybe 30 doves and no more per season. Maybe no more than 5 ducks or 5 pheasants
per season. My best bet is to find the best deals on day hunts. I'm not a gambler also. I don't care to spend a lot of money on a hunt and come up empty. The better deals
are when one pays for by what they harvest.

I don't want something for free, just a fair deal.

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/04/19 04:23 PM.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571654 08/04/19 04:29 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Take your [censored] to Georgia or NC & get some of those $500 hunts your so proud of.

Your babbling about Texas & running us down, interspersed with your ignorant historical misunderstandings, show that you will not like it here.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571656 08/04/19 04:34 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
“My best bet is to find the best deals on day hunts. I'm not a gambler also. I don't care to spend a lot of money on a hunt and come up empty. The better deals are when one pays for by what they harvest.”

You can’t have it both ways. “cheap” & “guaranteed” don’t go in the same sentence. If you want cheap, fine, you liable not to see [censored]. You want “guaranteed”, your gonna have to pay more for it. I shouldn’t have to tell a 55 year old basic facts of life.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 08/04/19 04:34 PM.
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7571663 08/04/19 04:42 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I understand that living TX is cheaper than CA but that no state in America is perfect. I expect compromises everywhere. I'm still willing to believe that TX might still offer more deer opportunities
at overall costs lower than CA.

I hunted deer in northern CA in October 1996 in Trinity County there. It was on a private ranch from a guide that owned and operated it.

I found his advertisement in some hunting magazine.

I had to drive about 900 miles round trip in my Ford truck. I stayed in a local motel in Weaverville, California for two nights. I arrived in the evening

to the old gentleman's beef ranch. His wife made a nice supper. The next morning I got a 97 pound yearling coastal buck with my Leupold-scoped .25-06 Browning A-Bolt II.

It was a walking hunt in wooded hills. The hunt lasted no more than 45 minutes. The gentleman got his Dodge 4x4 truck to haul the deer back to his home.

I got to shoot ground squirrels on this man's spread all afternoon as a bonus. His two adult sons helped with the skinning, washing the body cavity, gutting and quartering of my buck.

His wife prepared a nice super again and she had a nice breakfast on the table early that morning. The next morning I picked up my venison and headed back home.

The venison was then processed by a local butcher a day later. I think my B-2 Zone CA deer tag was about $50 back then.

The rancher guide's price of admission in 1996?

$500.00 with all the perks.

The venison tasted terrible but I felt I had gotten my money's worth of fun and hospitality.

The buck fed on acorns. I've known for years that does taste much better anyway but it's tough to get a doe tag in CA.

I would have had to pay him another $750 for a 3-4 point trophy.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571682 08/04/19 05:19 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
“The rancher guide's price of admission in 1996?

$500.00 with all the perks”

That’s great. Let’s all sit around & talk about how much [censored] cost 23 years ago.

A pickup was $10k back then. Now it’s closer to $50k. But you don’t see me goin on the innernetz & bellyaching about it.

Land has at least tripled in price, in some places I bet it’s 10x what it was 23 years ago.

You could always buy your own place & shoot whatever you want.

I also hope you realize that the $2,000 leases out there don’t include any deer stand, feeders, or feed. So you can at least double your price for what you will actually spend.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7571686 08/04/19 05:23 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Take your [censored] to Georgia or NC & get some of those $500 hunts your so proud of.

Your babbling about Texas & running us down, interspersed with your ignorant historical misunderstandings, show that you will not like it here.

I saw a new-construction 3-br home listed in Austin for under $225K on zillow real estate. I like the looks of that already.

Texas has "some lovely roses in her garden" and it's not all thorns. I just read this morning that TX was acquired by the Union in a special

way: a way different from most western states. An annexation deal whereby the federal government got damn little TX real estate.

The newly admitted state kept most of its land: it sold most of its land out to private people. TX had debts to pay. Since TX land is mostly
privately-held, I suspect a lot of property tax revenue is generated for the jurisdictions in which that property is held.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571692 08/04/19 05:30 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If you really want to fill your freezer with venison, and do it economically, you're going to spend a lot of time in the woods.

Best game plan is gonna be to get your texas public lands permit, get permits to hunt the nstional forests in east texas, and get a shotgun because a lot of public land is shotgun only and some is smoothbore shotgun slug only for deer. Corps lakes are out, deer hunting as far as i can tell is prohibited on ACoE land for the time being.

Add hogs and you can add corps lakes.

Finally, remember time in the woods. Youcould probably earn enough to pay for a real good lease with all the time you're gonna spend trying to tag out on does on public land.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7571787 08/04/19 07:50 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
The most cost-effective way to fill one's chest freezer with meat is by becoming a Costco member.

The trouble with hunting is not just Texas but in most of America.

There are hoops, rules, laws, legwork, brain racking, regs, luck, money, RISKS and/or knowing people with land involved.

There's a bureaucrat hiding behind every tree, every cactus, every big rock and every bush. There are bored old women in city parks
with smartphones and nothing better to do than snitch on somebody for having an unleashed dog in a park.

Hunting is a mind game. It's a rat race. It's a wild goose chase. It's full of tricks, curve balls and surprises.
The prospect of hunting in a tightly-controlled society can be daunting. The overpopulation of America
with all these foreigners the Democrats let in over the years and the lack of immigration control helps matters none.
The abundance of natural wild beauty that was once America's God's country seems now to be fading away.

I was born in America: I feel like I'm losing my America.

People with money, even city slickers, have advantages.
People who know landowners have advantages.
People raised in hunting families, communities and traditions have advantages.

Hunting is a country boy fraternity: an exclusive club.

I was raised a California suburbanite in a non-hunting family. No mentors.
No getting shown the ropes. CA is not very reputable for being hunter-friendly.

I was told years ago that hunting is a privilege and not a right.

It's called HUNTING and not GETTING MEAT. Yes, good people, I do get it now.

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/04/19 08:22 PM.

Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: J. Preston Bailey] #7571820 08/04/19 08:28 PM
R
Ranch Dawg Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Your poor introduction just ruined it for you. Stay in Oklahoma. We are just fine here in the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: What's the best game plan to load one's freezer with doe venison? [Re: Ranch Dawg] #7571828 08/04/19 08:44 PM
J
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Ranch Dawg
Your poor introduction just ruined it for you. Stay in Oklahoma. We are just fine here in the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS.

Fine until El Paso got shot up yesterday. Texans should definitely demand Constitution Carry from their respective state lawmakers.

Last edited by J. Preston Bailey; 08/04/19 08:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide