Print Thread
tripod deer stands #7567692 07/30/19 01:18 PM
W
WillowCity2506 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
anyone here use tripod deer stands for bow blinds? Hunting in the Hill Country trees for bow stands are limited. I have a couple set up on creek bottoms but have a ridge on property that holds some really great bucks. Most trees are in 10-15ft range. Was thinking about using a tripod in between a group of trees.

Looking for some input from you guys. What have you used that has worked?

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7567708 07/30/19 01:37 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Yes, In the hill country I used tripods but short ones 6-8' that could back right up into the cedars. I like to find a large bushy cedar, clip out the center a little bit and then lift legs and sit tripod right up over and into the center of the bush. Install seat and get up in and just clear out shooting lanes. I had one of those first light weight S. TX tripods you could fold in and carry over shoulder. Then made our own.

In the liveoaks, we would figure out a way to put a lock on up in the tree. You could use tripod but I suggest if so that get it set up so you have brushed backdrop and are not a silohette

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7567741 07/30/19 02:23 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Tons of guys use tripods for bow hunting so you should get a lot of feedback. There are tons of choices out there as well. I mostly rifle hunt so I like a quality rest so I like South Texas Tripods. They are also very portable. They come with out the rest as well. I think there is a special section on this forum for bow hunters and a special section for hunting gear so you may try those.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7567770 07/30/19 03:03 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I never bought it, but seriously looked at one of these. Short, but still off the ground, but still not over a low tree line. I liked it because at the time, I was over 300 lbs. DOWN 100 lbs since last season though!!! Sorry, had to brag. But it is a great little stand.

Forgot the link...

http://www.woodseytoo.com/catalog/hog-pod_6/hog-pod_26

Last edited by TiggerV; 07/30/19 03:15 PM.
Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7567776 07/30/19 03:09 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I used tripods set into the middle both cedars and live oaks. Back drop was more important and the deer approach route. My most effective bow stands were built out of lumber, boat seat and screw in treestand steps. The best spot may not have the best tree, but building a blind into a tree really works well. My best bow stand in the Hill Country was a boat seat up in fork of a Live Oak that left me an 18 yard shot to the feeder.
This photo is not in the Hill Country but this is how I put a tripod into a tree here on my place to hunt out of. 18 yards to feeder but my shots were both outside the pen and right after they jumped in. This setup is perfect for a dominant SE wind on my place. The deer approached from the N or E or S to this feeder which was a bit more open and had a food plot to the SE. I had a bit thicker brush to my N/NW. I set this 10' tripod over a fork in the tree into the middle of the Live Oak. I trimmed the minimum amount of limbs to have a hole to shoot through. This Live Oak was 15'-17' tall when I did this.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If you do not have livestock on the place the you might consider a haybale blind. I put this one out and it is my most productive blind to hunt out of. I have never had a deer approach me from the NW in this setup due to the blind sitting in the corner of two fencelines. There was an old gate opening to the left and to the right of the blind. Behind it was an old water lot with a water trough. I could hunt this blind with any wind except a NW, W or swirling N winds.
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7567816 07/30/19 03:54 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
^^^ Two great set ups stxranchman!

My most effective and successful stand was an old iron tractor seat nailed into a very large limb in spot that had another limb for back rest and another lower that I nailed 2x4 for foot rest. This Pen Oak tree was in the center of an old overgrown meadow that had creek to East, slough to North, thickets all around. The tree was huge and trunck sort of just went up and sloped outward to which you could almost just walk up it. A couple of spikes at base to start climb and then right on up naturally and settle in. Before modern tree stands, a couple 2x4s and large spike nails were all it took and young cat squirrel agility to climb in trees that I would not even consider doing these days probably not even with a ladder.

I'll see if can dig up an old pic

Last edited by Always ready 2 hunt; 07/30/19 04:01 PM.
Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7567822 07/30/19 04:06 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
STX has a good setup.

I prefer a deer blind spot that allows me to draw on an animal at a certain point in it's travel path without movement being detected. My current tripod has tall cedars all around the backside and one directly straight forward with the game trail running right to left slightly away from tripod.

This allows me to draw when the animal is behind the cedar and gives me a slightly quartering away shot. This works when the moon and stars align perfectly and the hunting gods smile down on me. Also assuming the wind is perfect and it's not an axis deer whom seem to sense the smallest movements ever.

Good luck

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7568032 07/30/19 08:23 PM
WendlingKnives Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Use them alot, but were west texas too. Hunt in mesquite and cedar

Follow on facebook for current builds https://www.facebook.com/WendlingKnives
Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7568071 07/30/19 08:59 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Don't forget about the hunting towers too. Academy sales a great tripod for $160 that you can wrap stuff around to help conceal. Their towers are 57 1/2" square and 8.5' tall. I like to put a wood/carpet floor on them and conceal them like the pics above.

1) They are safer than treestands
2) They are great when the trees won't hold a stand. you can strap vegetation to them very easy to help hide you
3) You can hear around you better than a box blind or ground blind
4) They are just very comfortable to hunt from with even 2 people in them.

I have 7 towers set up on food plots and feeders. I have been adding new towers almost every year.

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: stxranchman] #7568092 07/30/19 09:35 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I used tripods set into the middle both cedars and live oaks. Back drop was more important and the deer approach route. My most effective bow stands were built out of lumber, boat seat and screw in treestand steps. The best spot may not have the best tree, but building a blind into a tree really works well. My best bow stand in the Hill Country was a boat seat up in fork of a Live Oak that left me an 18 yard shot to the feeder.
This photo is not in the Hill Country but this is how I put a tripod into a tree here on my place to hunt out of. 18 yards to feeder but my shots were both outside the pen and right after they jumped in. This setup is perfect for a dominant SE wind on my place. The deer approached from the N or E or S to this feeder which was a bit more open and had a food plot to the SE. I had a bit thicker brush to my N/NW. I set this 10' tripod over a fork in the tree into the middle of the Live Oak. I trimmed the minimum amount of limbs to have a hole to shoot through. This Live Oak was 15'-17' tall when I did this.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If you do not have livestock on the place the you might consider a haybale blind. I put this one out and it is my most productive blind to hunt out of. I have never had a deer approach me from the NW in this setup due to the blind sitting in the corner of two fencelines. There was an old gate opening to the left and to the right of the blind. Behind it was an old water lot with a water trough. I could hunt this blind with any wind except a NW, W or swirling N winds.
[Linked Image]

I will add this and you really can't see it in the photos. If there is not a good background behind where I sit in a tripod, I make one. I take cattle panel or 2"x4" nonclimb wire and put it behind the seat where I sit. I then zip or wire tire cedar or brush limbs to it to make my background so it hides my silhouette. I make sure it is far enough behind me so when I draw it does not interfere with my shot.

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: WillowCity2506] #7568612 07/31/19 01:31 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
How much draw room do you really need for a crossbow peep

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: stxranchman] #7568963 07/31/19 08:33 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I will add this and you really can't see it in the photos. If there is not a good background behind where I sit in a tripod, I make one. I take cattle panel or 2"x4" nonclimb wire and put it behind the seat where I sit. I then zip or wire tire cedar or brush limbs to it to make my background so it hides my silhouette. I make sure it is far enough behind me so when I draw it does not interfere with my shot.

I like to zip tie cedar and oak branches to the back/sides of my towers if needed as well. I like to do it 2 weeks before season, so they can brown with the rest of the woods. Did it early one year and learned a lesson.

Re: tripod deer stands [Re: titan2232] #7569121 08/01/19 01:13 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by titan2232
How much draw room do you really need for a crossbow peep

More width of the opening in front for my crossbow vs. draw length behind me with my bow. Both need a backdrop but a crossbow needs much wider opening in front, which in turn creates a much greater chance of being seen IME. You may still have to move to get into position for a shot using either one.... that is where that backdrop becomes important for me.
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide