Print Thread
Dog Co-Ownership? #7568240 07/30/19 11:59 PM
B
BANDIT_DOC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I have a question for all. I was notified of a litter of GSPs by a friend as he is looking to buy one. The guy is a top notch grouse and woodcock hunter and dog trainer. He paid a deposit on a Male GSP and picked his dog. Now the breeder is telling him that she wants to keep her name on the dog "because it reflects well on her as a breeder" and also she is putting restrictions on the dog where he cannot sell it without her approval. She is offering to pay him stud fees to breed it some day down the road after it scores well and saying she would even pay for training for its NAVHDA tests. To be honest it sounds like a decent deal for him as he isn't one to sell a dog. I just think it sounds too much like co-ownership. How common is this? What are your opinions on the whole deal. We are both kind of new to the bloodlines game. Thanks in advance.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7568291 07/31/19 12:45 AM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
As long as it’s agreed to beforehand and the terms of the contract are in writing I don’t see what the big deal is.....if you don’t like the terms don’t buy the dog.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: topwater13] #7568301 07/31/19 12:59 AM
B
BANDIT_DOC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by topwater13
As long as it’s agreed to beforehand and the terms of the contract are in writing I don’t see what the big deal is.....if you don’t like the terms don’t buy the dog.

Funny thing.. I dont recall anyone saying it was a big deal. We are trying to decide if we like the terms, aren't we? Hence the post... You are quite astute aren't you?

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7568309 07/31/19 01:08 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by BANDIT_DOC

Funny thing.. I dont recall anyone saying it was a big deal. We are trying to decide if we like the terms, aren't we? Hence the post... You are quite astute aren't you?

Sounds like you already know more than anyone else. You’re a grown man. Make your own decision on whether those terms are good for you and your boyfriend.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7568324 07/31/19 01:28 AM
C
cmorsch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
That to me is no co-ownership. Keeping the bloodlines name is common in hunting dogs who come from a pedigree. Both of mine have those restrictions. The name thing is only a formality when showing or competing with the dog. The sale and breeding is also not something to worry about to me. It all has to do with maintaining that lineage and pedigree. Honestly if Im looking at a certain bloodline I would be concerned if there were not restrictions like you have mentioned.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: scalebuster] #7568350 07/31/19 01:51 AM
B
BANDIT_DOC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by scalebuster

Sounds like you already know more than anyone else. You’re a grown man. Make your own decision on whether those terms are good for you and your boyfriend.

Yeah, based on the words I typed- I too (if I were reading this thread) would come to the conclusion that the author was of the opinion that he knew more than everyone else. I use "we" because I am paying for the dog for an old war brother of mine. You know, I sometimes wish they wouldnt have seen the need to teach guys like you to write or read. Then again, you have clearly mastered comprehension, so there's always that.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: cmorsch] #7568365 07/31/19 02:08 AM
B
BANDIT_DOC Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by cmorsch
That to me is no co-ownership. Keeping the bloodlines name is common in hunting dogs who come from a pedigree. Both of mine have those restrictions. The name thing is only a formality when showing or competing with the dog. The sale and breeding is also not something to worry about to me. It all has to do with maintaining that lineage and pedigree. Honestly if Im looking at a certain bloodline I would be concerned if there were not restrictions like you have mentioned.

Perfect. Thank you. My brother is a guide up in the far Northern part of the country. I'm trying to support his foray into this kind of dog ownership, his was stricken with blasto and just died. I didnt ever know there was so much to it.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: scalebuster] #7568381 07/31/19 02:25 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Bobby Barnett

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7568516 07/31/19 11:39 AM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker

Wow. You asked for "opinions on the whole deal".....and you have no idea who I am to insult my intelligence. My original comment was not negative in any way, but simply an opinion. Keep being a condescending keyboard tough guy. That will get you far here and in life.

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: bobcat1] #7568568 07/31/19 12:53 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by bobcat1

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7569041 07/31/19 10:45 PM
M
Mud Shark Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I'm in a co-ownership with a friend of mine with a retriever. We had all the details lined out before the dog was bought and we had documents produced and signed by both of us and an attorney. Who was responsible for what, who got what from breedings and so on.

What the OP is discribing does not sound like a co-ownership to me. More of an agreement.
The paperwork turned into the the AKC, or other registration of your choice, should have her on there as a breeder, so she'll get all the recongnition as such. Thus, no need to have her name as the second/co-owner.
In the retriever world, it's very common for kennels to mandate their "kennel name" be on in the dogs names in the puppy agreement. Not that these are mandated, but they are often seen..."Watermarks....Docheno's...Bayou Teche's...etc" and this shows the line, usually of the sire, of the dog.
If there was a puppy agreement, I would think all stipulations about selling, breeding, etc. would be in that "contract" and I would gladly follow them if I had known and agreed to the contract.
If I had the dog and the registration papers, and none of that was in the puppy agreement/made known before hand, I would not feel obligated abide by any thing she "said" after the transaction had taken place.

Last edited by Mud Shark; 07/31/19 10:47 PM.

Mud Shark

Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7569272 08/01/19 11:12 AM
WendlingKnives Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Same deal when we got our griff. Common with horses as well

Follow on facebook for current builds https://www.facebook.com/WendlingKnives
Re: Dog Co-Ownership? [Re: BANDIT_DOC] #7569587 08/01/19 06:11 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Bandit, it is common practice for the kennel name to be affixed to a pups registered name on the pedigree. Especially from a high end breeding. My bird dog has the same. That should tell you the kennel is confident enough of what they are producing that they want their name on it. Breeding restrictions and testing requirements are sometimes also stipulated as well. The more desirable the litter, the more leverage the breeder has to specify conditions of sale.

As others informed you: both buyers and sellers choose who they trade with.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 08/01/19 06:12 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide