Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston #7567561 07/30/19 05:04 AM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Hello all,

I am planning my first deer hunt this year in November. I have no experience with selecting a deer processor or what to look for.

I like in Houston Texas near Katy Texas. I am going on a guided hunt 3 hours away from Houston.

Questions:

1.Can you please recommend a good quality and healthy deer processor in Houston Texas?

2. What type of deer meats cuts should I ask for? I have only ate deer sausage.

3. What type of things or questoins should I consider when going to a deer meat processor?

4. What size cooler should I buy to keep the meat cool when I travel back to Houston?

Thanks,

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 07/30/19 05:18 AM.
Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7567610 07/30/19 11:35 AM
T
TxBuck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Kovasavicks in Rosenberg

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: TxBuck] #7567674 07/30/19 12:54 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by TxBuck
Kovasavicks in Rosenberg

Thank you so much TxBuck,

I live near Rosenberg as well.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7567679 07/30/19 01:01 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Bellville Meat Market. About 15 miles N of Sealy on HWY 36. We have used Midway in Katy for years but, after trying out some of Bellville's products, we'll be going there from now on. Bellville processes YOUR deer individually.

What to ask for...

Backstrap and tenders whole.

Maybe some tenderized round steak from one of the hams.

A roast or two for the crock pot.

Hamburger.

Link, smoked sausage.

Pan sausage.

Hunters Sticks (like a slim jim).

Summer sausage.

Last but not least, get all of it vacuum sealed!

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7567820 07/30/19 04:06 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
agree with fouzman ... although I have never used Bellville Meat Market, I have heard good things about them. my SIL lives in Katy and will likely be using them when he takes a deer from his ranch near Carmine.

also agree with the with all the above cuts selection ... just keep in mind, that most processors have a minimum poundage for various types of sausage and can drive the costs up quite high.

I used a new to me processor up in the Fairfield area that had an opening weekend party of sorts with some of their products for taste testing out front. That sold me on several types of their sausage, so I got x lbs of polish, x lbs german, x lbs summer, x lbs of snack sticks, plus back straps & tenders out whole ... and when I picked my deer up, it was over $400 eek2 ... uh, yeah, it was very good but holy smokes was that way above what I was expecting price wise!!! I believe their basic processing (tenderized steaks, backstrap, hamburger) all vacuum sealed is around $90 ....

with that said, being your first deer ... you might want to try the wide variety to see what suits your taste buds best, then you will know what to get on the next deer processed ... just be aware that the cost for a variety can quickly get expensive.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7567831 07/30/19 04:13 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Arnold's in Hempstead has a 10lb min, for sausage, buck sticks, summer sausage etc.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7567853 07/30/19 04:34 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Arnold's in Hempstead has a 10lb min, for sausage, buck sticks, summer sausage etc.

thanks, yes ... and each type of sausage will likely have a different price per pound ... that's what bit me ... most of the link sausage was $4-6/lb but the snack sticks were $9-10/lb ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7567927 07/30/19 06:06 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Some processors charge .90 cents a pound and some charge as much as $2.00 a pound for deboning. Makes a big difference in your cost. I think it is a good idea to see what they stuff your sausage in. Some casing is too tough .

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: fouzman] #7568133 07/30/19 10:10 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by fouzman
Bellville Meat Market. About 15 miles N of Sealy on HWY 36. We have used Midway in Katy for years but, after trying out some of Bellville's products, we'll be going there from now on. Bellville processes YOUR deer individually.

What to ask for...

Hamburger.

Link, smoked sausage.

Pan sausage.

Summer sausage.

Thank you so much fouzman,

Questions please:

1. What does "Bellville processes YOUR deer individually." means?
2. What do you mean by "hams"? Ham comes from pig, right?
3. Why is it important to vacuum sealed?

Thanks

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: PMK] #7568136 07/30/19 10:13 PM
G
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by PMK
agree with fouzman ... although I have never used Bellville Meat Market, I have heard good things about them. my SIL lives in Katy and will likely be using them when he takes a deer from his ranch near Carmine.

also agree with the with all the above cuts selection ... just keep in mind, that most processors have a minimum poundage for various types of sausage and can drive the costs up quite high.

I used a new to me processor up in the Fairfield area that had an opening weekend party of sorts with some of their products for taste testing out front. That sold me on several types of their sausage, so I got x lbs of polish, x lbs german, x lbs summer, x lbs of snack sticks, plus back straps & tenders out whole ... and when I picked my deer up, it was over $400 eek2 ... uh, yeah, it was very good but holy smokes was that way above what I was expecting price wise!!! I believe their basic processing (tenderized steaks, backstrap, hamburger) all vacuum sealed is around $90 ....

with that said, being your first deer ... you might want to try the wide variety to see what suits your taste buds best, then you will know what to get on the next deer processed ... just be aware that the cost for a variety can quickly get expensive.

Thank you very much PMK,

What are the different type of deer cuts I can try? I am new at this. I guess I can ask the processor their cuts and fees.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: fouzman] #7568473 07/31/19 05:33 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

What to ask for...

Hamburger.

Link, smoked sausage.

Pan sausage.

Summer sausage.

I do exactly that except the rounds and roast. We can't get enough hunters sticks. Dang good most places. I need at least least 25 bs ground though and 15 summer sausage jalepeno cheese logs to make it.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568543 07/31/19 12:25 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy

What to ask for...

Hamburger.

Link, smoked sausage.

Pan sausage.

Summer sausage.

Thank you so much fouzman,

Questions please:

1. What does "Bellville processes YOUR deer individually." means?
2. What do you mean by "hams"? Ham comes from pig, right?
3. Why is it important to vacuum sealed?

Thanks

1.Processing your deer individually versus some other places that process in bulk. Hamburger and sausage, for example. There may be other people's deer meat included in ground venison, and yours in theirs.
2. By hams, I meant hindquarters.
3. Vacuum sealed will last longer in your freezer. Butcher-wrapped freezer burns much more easily.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568560 07/31/19 12:41 PM
E
el_cazador713 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Fouzman hit the nail on the head. Bellville hands down

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568679 07/31/19 02:41 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Also consider praseks. 2 locations and always consistent. Get some supreme burger. Excellent for making burgers, tacos, meat balls etc....anything that uses ground meat. I used their i10 location at Sealy last time. Very well packaged and labeled.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7572527 08/05/19 04:08 PM
C
corkys son Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Praseks near El Campo and I think they have one near or in Sealy. I have been using them for about 10 years now, after trying a lot of other places. They process your deer individually, not combined with others. Excellent quality and flavor.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7572778 08/05/19 08:39 PM
G
gtrich94 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy
Hello all,
4. What size cooler should I buy to keep the meat cool when I travel back to Houston?
Thanks,

I use the plain old white 150qt Coleman coolers that you can buy at Sams, Academy or Walmart for about $80. If you quarter the deer, you can get two of them in one cooler pretty easily. The cooler also comes in handy when you go pick up the meat from the processor.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7573299 08/06/19 01:58 PM
K
kman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
All listed are very good and another close by in Fulshear is Dozier's. They do a good job as well but Belleville is my favorite.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7574327 08/07/19 06:57 PM
J
JGray Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
I've used Midway the last couple years, but took my last deer of the 2018 season Prasek's in Sealy and was impressed. I'll be going to Prasek's this year.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7593208 08/29/19 08:52 PM
R
roadkill54 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
These are all good however been using Slavacek's in Snook (West of College Station) since 1977. Hands down the best. Get it all made into sausage - you won't be disappointed.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7595739 09/02/19 01:09 PM
J
jmac24 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I started using Bellville Meat Market a few years ago as well. Very pleased with the product I get back from them. Dirty Rice smoked sausage is very good.

Arnold's in Hempstead has about the best venison boudin I have had and I usually take enough meat there to get the 25 lb order.

Re: Please Recommend Deer Meat Processor in Houston [Re: jmac24] #7596974 09/03/19 07:05 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by jmac24

Arnold's in Hempstead has about the best venison boudin I have had and I usually take enough meat there to get the 25 lb order.

Yep, this year I am going to get some boudin with a pepper jack cheese added to it, that should make it real supple.

I also like their tamales.

Last edited by Herbie Hancock; 09/03/19 08:00 PM.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide