Print Thread
Spypoint Camera Customer Service #7566966 07/29/19 03:13 PM
L
lzybear75 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
long time lurker, few time poster. I understand that a company puts out X number of products that there will be Y number of defect, its just how things work. Its how those defect are handled after the sale that count. Ive never delt with ATN customer service(but from everything ive every read anywhere, it suppose to be horrible), but i feel Spypoints customer service told ATN hold my beer and watch this. I have an older Spypoint camera and it works as it should, i bought a Spypoint link micro on 7/13 and after activation it never connected to their server, im 7 phone calls, 4 emails, and 17 days from purchase, and its still setting on my desk today not working. Just food for thought if you're, and in the market if you get one that works its a pretty good bang for the buck, but if its defective buckle up because customer service is a nightmare.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7566976 07/29/19 03:32 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I read the same thing in too many reviews. There's a reason they're heavily discounted right now. I really wanted to get some but I just can't trust the product or the company. Thanks for your review.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7567066 07/29/19 04:57 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Not scolding you, but if you had bought that camera from https://www.trailcampro.com/ there would be no waiting for service, and you would have had a brand new camera, no questions asked. I've had to deal with them twice. both times they exceeded my expectations for service. I'm not affiliated with them in any way except a long time very satisfied customer.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7567138 07/29/19 06:58 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Return it at Academy.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7567143 07/29/19 07:12 PM
L
lzybear75 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
L
Good to know Mr. T. ill keep them in mind next time im in the market. ChrisB actually bought it at Academy in Greenville, along with my buddy and neither of ours worked. I dont know which Academy he went to but they exchanges his for another one no questions asked, i went to the Academy in Mesquite and had to play 20 questions and was told since it was a manufacturers defect i needed to contact Spypont. But thats how my luck goes eek .

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7567145 07/29/19 07:17 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Just take it back and tell them you decided you don't want it.

Another Spypoint Camera Customer Service Story [Re: lzybear75] #7567914 07/30/19 05:52 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Guys,
I am going to pile on Spypoint Customer Service as well. My experience is similar. I bought the Link Micro
and was testing it in my backyard and had it set for 10 minutes delay between pictures. I got almost a picture
every 10 minutes no matter what. I had it set to only work from 6 am to 9 pm to save battery power and number
of pictures getting transmitted. Called them and they said to put in new flash- of course I had done that and still got
pictures almost every 10 minutes even if nothing was in the camera view. I believe the IR is not working. Called Tech support
and was told to set it to instant detection - guess what- got a picture almost every minute again even if there was nothing in the picture.
Had to turn it off since I was getting so many pictures and they were giving me notices to my phone and just running batteries down.
Called tech support and sent them files as requested and that was about 2 weeks ago and still no response back. I will call them today
and work to get it resolved. Right now all I have is a camera on my computer desk that does not work right, used a lot of my batteries, and
filled up the majority of my account with empty pictures. Problem is that I also bought the antenna extender because our hunting place has limited
coverage so this was to raise it to get better cell coverage. I am sorry this is so long but I wanted you to hear another story. thanks

Re: Another Spypoint Camera Customer Service Story [Re: lzybear75] #7567956 07/30/19 06:43 PM
S
supersixfour Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Thanks for the feedback, I was on the fence about the Spypoint, but now I think I'm going with the Moultrie A-7000i

NRA Life Member

Re: Another Spypoint Camera Customer Service Story [Re: lzybear75] #7568065 07/30/19 08:50 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Spypoints are not as bad as many lead on to believe. My best advice is to buy them on Amazon, which has free returns. If it doesn't work in your area, send it back for full refund. I had a buddy that has bought about 8 of them to get 4 that work flawlessly.

That said:
1) 90% of problems with most cell cameras is the coverage area. If there isn't any signal, none are going to work. If you have spotty signal, you can buy an external antenna on amazon for $8 that has a 10 foot cord on it. Get the antenna up 10 foot and hook to your camera and I get 2 more bars on both Spypoint and Stealth cell cameras. Again, if there isn't any signal to begin with, the external antenna probably isn't going to help.

2) The spypoints have a sensitivity you can adjust from low, medium and high. I set it on Medium during the summer and high in the fall/winter. Spypoints are more sensitive than most cameras. You have to keep your area mowed or vegetation killed, as 8" grass swinging in the hot breeze will trigger the Spypoint more than most cameras.

3) Spypoints are very finicky with sd cards. You must only use good quality cards. No cheap stuff from Amazon or dollar store. Sandisk work the best hands down with Spypoints.

4) Spypoint is from Canada and they have very little idea of the issues we have in the hot south. I had been given their management advice for over 7 years and they just don't want to hear it. All they care about is supplying their celebrities with free cameras to "Pimp" them. I was even a Hunting buyer for a couple large retail chains. They would give me free or discounted cameras, but still would not listen to feedback. They think this buck and turkey software is going to change the world. Boy do they not understand want we want/need.

With all this said, I still have 4 of their cell cameras going right now and they work great. I have them all hooked up to external antenna and external battery pack with solar hooked to it. I haven't had a battery go bad in over 6 years. I did have to return 2 cameras that just didn't work very well. Their first cell camera 8 years ago was probably their best camera as far as working the best. It lasted me 4 years before it crapped the bed. I am just on year 4 with these Link Evo's. I do not own a Link Micro, as I have shifted to the Stealth Cellular Cameras. I really like them. Even if you have no coverage, they still work like a regular camera. Spypoints will continue to search for signal until they kill the battery.

Hope this helps.

Re: Another Spypoint Camera Customer Service Story [Re: lzybear75] #7568233 07/30/19 11:54 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Guess I’m screwed I bought 4 of them last week.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service-Follow Up [Re: lzybear75] #7568595 07/31/19 01:14 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Spypoint Follow Up:

Pitt- I appreciate your comments and would like to know what antenna you bought on Amazon so I can save more money
than what I bought. I do want to address some of your comments though. The Spypoint Link Micro was not on Amazon for that price so
I did not purchase it from Amazon but would have. I turned the sensitivity down to "low" from "medium" just in case the sensitivity is too strong
and got just as many pictures every minute as I did the first 30 minutes when I went to instant detection. Signal strength was good in my backyard
so not sure what all of your comments regarding signal strength were about. I bought the antenna extender for our hunting spot in Texas and it may not work there,
due to signal strength but I needed it work in my backyard (50 feet from my patio) first. Your comments are valid but not in this case. Getting pictures all the time
even during the night when there is no wind thus no grass moving is also not my problem. I purchased the Micro SD that was recommended by Spypoint,
so again that is not my problem. I could have added a lot of this to my story but thought my original reply was long enough. thanks for the feedback anyway.

Called Spypoint yesterday and wanted to share the latest information:
1. Spypoint now has a specific number to push when you call them if it has something to do with the Link Micro. That wasn't there before.
2. They sent me an RMA number, said they would reset my first 30 days of unlimited pictures once we get a good camera going.
3. Said they would investigate why Tech Support has not answered my emails. Tech Support sent me an email late yesterday.

thanks

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service-Follow Up [Re: lzybear75] #7568693 07/31/19 02:56 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Was fixing to try a Spypoint gonna wait and see now.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service-Follow Up [Re: lzybear75] #7568703 07/31/19 03:05 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Buy your camera from a store who will give a refund or exchange on the spot if defective.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service-Follow Up [Re: B_Man] #7568962 07/31/19 08:30 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here is the link to the Antenna: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5A3RYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This antenna screws directly onto the Stealth Cell cam, but you will need a female to male connector for it to screw onto the Link Evo (don't know about the Link Micro).

Link to adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CVQ3XLY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PXC5AB6J60IH&psc=1

I was just talking about Spypoints cell cams in general based on using them for 7 years. I see a bunch of posts on cell cams (including other brands) and the main issue is cell signal. Cell signal isn't the cameras's fault, it is the cell coverage. And, I gave a solution that some can use if there is at least on bar signal. Many have taken my advice and still the camera didn't get signal. It was because they didn't even have one bar to begin with. You have to hold many people's hands today....

Lastly, even if you don't have an issue with a Spypoint camera as I talked about above, today.....doesn't mean you won't encounter one of the problems in the future. All but one of mine worked great initially.

Oh, and about the sensitivity. I have one camera that if I put it in "Low", it takes pics all the time. Put it in "Medium" and I only get 1 to 10 false pics a day. 99 times out of 100, if it takes these false pics now, it isn't Wine and won't get better with age. These cameras can work great, but have many issues. I have found out that if you point them to the North, instead of the south, they function much better and sometimes fix the false pics. Last tidbit. I like to put a piece of plywood about my camera as a "roof" to keep out the sun. This also helps a ton.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Pittstate; 07/31/19 08:54 PM. Reason: added link to adapter
Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service-Follow Up [Re: lzybear75] #7568964 07/31/19 08:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
PM barneywho he loves them....... bolt

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service-Follow Up [Re: lzybear75] #7568972 07/31/19 08:50 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Last year when they had their issue with servers not working right in the middle of the rut about soured everyone. They did up a whole bunch of free data months, but that didn't cover for not being able to use them during the rut. I was just glad I had Stealth's too.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7569306 08/01/19 11:51 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Thanks for the antenna information that's a great savings and wish I had that before I spent about $75.
I also appreciate the other information. I do not want to keep this thread going but I feel like you might
have a lot of good knowledge on the Stealth Cameras as well that would be beneficial to me at least. I saw where Cabelas
has a trade in program to get the Stealth Cellular GXW for $150 (the Link Micro trade in cost $99). It has 22MP
along with video but reading the reviews said it did not work with Verizon. If you have some time you might share
your knowledge (at least with me) about hos they work for you. Is the APP good and the server with photos good?
Monthly photo rates etc?

thanks

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: B_Man] #7569668 08/01/19 07:57 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The have their second generation Cell Cams (Stealth) out right now. You can buy AT&T version or Verizon. On the AT&T one, you can use the AT&T sim card that come with it or use several other options (Like Truphone). Truphone use to be the cheapest, but that has changed. With Truphone, you only pay for what you use, no monthly or yearly plans. Load it up with however much money you want and it will transmit until you run out of money (you can reload at any time online, very easy). I have very good luck with coverage with the Truphone sim as it uses many other companies towers.

I use the AT&T sim and pay $75/year for up to 4gb of data. Unless I am running it on video all the time, I don't use the 4gb. You can transmit in 2 different pic size or 10 second video.

The Verizon version is a lot more expensive (because of Verizone). Cheapest is $5 a month for 625 pics. 1,250 is $8/month and 6,250 pics a month is $14 and it keeps going up for more pics a month.

The pic quality of what you get from the server is twice as good as the Spypoint and you can get Video. If you PM me a cell address, I can send you some samples. Just remember to have me do it when you and I are on wifi or it may not send the full size photo I send you.

The Stealths are a million times better than the Spypoints and don't have SD Card issues or False pics from wind. The external antenna I talked about above screws directly into the camera. I actually get very good cell service with my AT&T version. I bet they are also using TMobile and other towers too. Verizon is cheap and shuts down many of its towers at night and on the weekends in my area, so data signal goes away many times. The AT&T is always on strong.

The APP is also ten times better than Spypoint. You can actually set it to take a test pic everyday, that way you know it is working.

The only Con of the stealth App is that when you have the camera plugged into an external battery box, it will read as battery is full all the time. The Spypoint has a section to tell the app what power source you are using and it works awesome to let you know exactly how much battery life you have. That way you can change from transmitting after each pic to like twice a day for a week of so to let the solar get the battery charged back up. With this said, with my battery boxes being hooked to a good solar charger, I never have problems with my battery dying (I have learned to make sure the solar charger is in full sun most of the day).

Hope this helps

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: Pittstate] #7569683 08/01/19 08:13 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
thanks for the information

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7570829 08/03/19 03:46 AM
K
KMG Ranch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
I bought one and it never worked. I’ve called many times and spent hours with SPYPOINT CS trying to get it going. Nothing...it’s been sitting on my countertop ever sense.

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: lzybear75] #7571459 08/04/19 05:30 AM
llbts1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
You bought it at Academy. Do you still have the receipt? If so, you can take it back to any store and get a full refund. No questions asked.

https://help.academy.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/203/~/return-policy

Re: Spypoint Camera Customer Service [Re: Pittstate] #7577523 08/11/19 04:27 PM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Pittstate - sent you a PM. Thanks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide