Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone had LASIK performed? #7565036 07/26/19 09:43 PM
S
Slimpickin Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Tired of the readers and considering LASIK. Anyone been through this? What procedure did you have? Any issues? cyclo

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7565091 07/26/19 11:31 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Had mine done about 10 years ago. If you qualify get the "Mono Vision" which makes one eye for close and the other for distance. I tried it but my brain wouldn't sync up so went back to long distance. Have had to use readers for a few years now.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 07/26/19 11:36 PM. Reason: add

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7565362 07/27/19 12:02 PM
S
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
May try the Monovision contacts for a few days. Depth perception seems to be an issue with the procedure. If so, I'll stick to my readers...

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7565553 07/27/19 06:58 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I had lasik in 2012. Some of the best money I’ve spent, I would have paid double for it it’s thet good.

Night vision has been greatly diminished but for what you get it’s a good trade off

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7565677 07/27/19 09:50 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I wear progressive lenses in my glasses

I would love to have it so i could wear some Maui Jims

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: txtrophy85] #7566701 07/29/19 05:25 AM
Exbellicus Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I had lasik in 2012. Some of the best money I’ve spent, I would have paid double for it it’s thet good.

+1 No problems with night vision here. My eyes have gotten a little worse over time from when I first had it done, but nowhere close to what it was. I can still read street signs at night, which is the main reason I needed it done.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7567701 07/30/19 01:28 PM
S
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
I tried Monovision for a few hours and my overall vision kept getting worse. Looks as if I'll stick to readers for now unless the procedures improve a bit more.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7567730 07/30/19 02:04 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I had LASIK surgery done on both eyes in 1997. Still have 20/20 vision in both eyes.after 22years. Night vision is great! I need to use readers (150’s) for close work but wouldn’t hesitate to get it done again.
I’m sure the technology has changed a bit since I had it done. I can’t imagine having one eye for distance and one for close up. You need two eyes open for depth perception. The biggest issues were physicians who were doing procedures on patients whose pupils were too large, creating scar tissue that would distort light. This created the halo effect that many LASIK patients experience.
LASIK is not a good fix for everyone. A good surgeon will tell you if you are a good candidate for surgery.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7567738 07/30/19 02:17 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My wife and I both have bad eyes. Looked into it a little last year around this time. For both of us the IPC implanted contact lens I think is what they call it was our best option. The place our eye doctor referred us to wanted almost $20k for the both of us and we decided it wasn't worth that.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7567946 07/30/19 06:27 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Slim, I perform Lasik in the metro area, if you have any questions or need anything verified feel free to contact me on here or via PM.

Monovision is a good ting when the brain allows it to work, but about 50% of the population can not handle it, and most hunters don't like it as it does throw depth perception off and make it so our distance vision isn't as good due to the lack of what I call bilateral summation, having both eyes working together.

There are some options for folks not good candidates for lasik that may be good for folks that can allow both distance and near, but the candidate pool dwindles down the more complex things get.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7568126 07/30/19 10:08 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
Slim, I perform Lasik in the metro area, if you have any questions or need anything verified feel free to contact me on here or via PM.

Monovision is a good ting when the brain allows it to work, but about 50% of the population can not handle it, and most hunters don't like it as it does throw depth perception off and make it so our distance vision isn't as good due to the lack of what I call bilateral summation, having both eyes working together.

There are some options for folks not good candidates for lasik that may be good for folks that can allow both distance and near, but the candidate pool dwindles down the more complex things get.

How many feeders you wanna trade for some lasik?

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Ramball36] #7568359 07/31/19 02:02 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Ramball36

How many feeders you wanna trade for some lasik?

If you are serious about this PM me

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7585947 08/21/19 10:59 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Not letting them lasers in my eyeballs!

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7586149 08/22/19 02:32 AM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My boss skipped over the lasik and did CrystalLens. Great results and works for close and far vision. 10k$ per eye is what he spent 7 years ago.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7595076 09/01/19 02:06 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
My sister in law recently had lasik done. She now has trouble with glare at night. I would suggest making sure you understand the risk, and possible side effects.

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: TX_LT230FH] #7595169 09/01/19 04:21 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by TX_LT230FH
My boss skipped over the lasik and did CrystalLens. Great results and works for close and far vision. 10k$ per eye is what he spent 7 years ago.

Dang, $20K. My dad just got a quote for a full set of implant teeth ( his are VERY bad), and it was $40K. Going to be a real 6 million dollar man at some point.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7595798 09/02/19 03:06 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had LASIK done two years ago and overall I love it. The only negative effect I've had is more issues with dryness in my eyes than before, but for what I got out of it I'm more than happy to deal with that. I don't get the starburst at night that some get. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I progressed from readers to regular glasses and wore them for several years. Some people can function just fine wearing glasses, but I'm apparently not one of them.
I had it done at Clearview in Southlake (Texas Buckeye, I believe) and I highly recommend them. The best piece of advice I can give you is if you get it done, listen very closely to what they tell you about recovery and follow their instructions religiously. I was told the number one reason people have problems after the procedure is not following instructions.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Grizz] #7595885 09/02/19 05:13 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Grizz
I had LASIK done two years ago and overall I love it. The only negative effect I've had is more issues with dryness in my eyes than before, but for what I got out of it I'm more than happy to deal with that. I don't get the starburst at night that some get. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I progressed from readers to regular glasses and wore them for several years. Some people can function just fine wearing glasses, but I'm apparently not one of them.
I had it done at Clearview in Southlake (Texas Buckeye, I believe) and I highly recommend them. The best piece of advice I can give you is if you get it done, listen very closely to what they tell you about recovery and follow their instructions religiously. I was told the number one reason people have problems after the procedure is not following instructions.

How much did it cost you there?

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Nathan at Fork] #7595924 09/02/19 05:54 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Nathan at Fork
Originally Posted by Grizz

How much did it cost you there?

Don't quote me on this, but I believe it was around $3,500 total for both eyes. I went through my eye doctor for screening and referral, and that included those costs, all pre-op and post-op, and two years of follow-up visits with my eye doc. I believe it can vary a lot depending on exactly what type of procedure you get and the degree of correction you need. I didn't really want to spend as much as I did, but I've never regretted it for one second.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7595948 09/02/19 06:20 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Grizz quoted the correct price up

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 09/02/19 06:22 PM.
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Brother Phil] #7595952 09/02/19 06:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Brother Phil
My sister in law recently had lasik done. She now has trouble with glare at night. I would suggest making sure you understand the risk, and possible side effects.

The glare could be just dryness, temporarily associated from the lasik, it could also be due to uncorrected nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. If she hasn’t told the docs about it or isn’t getting the answers she is looking for, I would highly recommend a second opinion. I have seen some really sketchy things done in the name of a “guarantee” where the docs involved don’t try to fix any problems and simply explain it away as normal, when it isn’t

Nowadays, very few people should have permanent flare from lasik. It was more common back in the early days when everyone and their brother was a “lasik expert”

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 09/02/19 06:24 PM.
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Texas buckeye] #7596008 09/02/19 07:21 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Brother Phil

The glare could be just dryness, temporarily associated from the lasik, it could also be due to uncorrected nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. If she hasn’t told the docs about it or isn’t getting the answers she is looking for, I would highly recommend a second opinion. I have seen some really sketchy things done in the name of a “guarantee” where the docs involved don’t try to fix any problems and simply explain it away as normal, when it isn’t

Nowadays, very few people should have permanent flare from lasik. It was more common back in the early days when everyone and their brother was a “lasik expert”

I want to get LASIK because of starbursts @ night & can't focus on pistol sights clearly. I have astigmatism in both eyes. Does that change the process/procedure?

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7596018 09/02/19 07:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
^^^^ no, astigmatism does not change our ability to perform lasik, but if you have irregular corneas it might. Would require getting checked out and testing to determine. We do free evaluations, unlike a lot of places that say they are free only to bill you and have the eval come off the price of lasik (that way they have you hooked and spending several hundred dollars, it’s amazing how many people don’t feel comfortable with the place but use them because of this “hook” of having already spent a couple hundred bucks).

Only problem is we are in the metroplex and if you aren’t that can be tough. If interested PM me for more info up

Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7596031 09/02/19 07:58 PM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
Best decision I made in my life. I spent about 18 years wearing glasses and contacts and when I had gotten my lasik done I immediately had great vision. I got mine paid for by the Air Force when I was active duty, only had to pay for the travel back of forth from Japan to San Antonio. This January will be three year since I had the surgery. No pain only weird tingling and I inhaled through my nose as the laser was doing it’s correction, I won’t forget the smell of burning flesh. When the numbing drops wore off and it felt like I got punched in both my eyes, not gonna lie it was really uncomfortable. After about two days the pain subsided and my vision was clear, I just wasn’t used to the Halo’s at night.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone had LASIK performed? [Re: Slimpickin] #7596070 09/02/19 09:16 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I went through some tests here recently. I have never worn glasses except to read, but at age 58 my vision has become slightly blurred, and have a very slight double vision at distance. I've always been averse to wearing glasses and/or contacts for some reason as I see them being a royal PITA.

They told me I didnt' have all that much to correct, but it would sure be nice to see clearly at distance again. The prices quoted here are in line with what they told me. I'm likely in the minority, but those prices seem like robbery for a 5 minute per eye process.

Last edited by Jgraider; 09/02/19 09:17 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide