Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: 10 Gauge] #7559986 07/19/19 12:31 PM
S
SouthSaturnDelta Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
Let me try this again now that I blocked those dudes.

Have you tried Fort Benning? The Post commander has put a bounty on pigs at fort benning. It's not much but better than a poke in the eye. Loaded with pigs.

Georgia is a good state to get started in.

Nothing wrong with a trophy. I don't think you have a problem with it and I bet you'd be excited to have the opportunity. Just not your goal right now. Am i right?

Exactly right sir. I would love a trophy.....a giant red stag would be my choice. But I would love to have a very nice home in which to display it even more, lol. I have nothing against trophies. Especially a trophy someone really fought for and put in serious work to earn. Thank you for all of your help sir.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: HandgunHTR] #7560000 07/19/19 12:51 PM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Here is my take.

I grew up hunting in the Midwest, but lived in SC and GA for 13 years. For the money that you would spend going out to TX for a "meat hunt", you can get on a decent lease in middle/southeast GA and kill 5 does and a buck every year. I know you haven't had the best experience with leased land in GA, but there is a huge difference in going to a lease as guest and going as a member. As a guest, unless you have a really good friend, you are going to get put in the "left over" stand, where you will see a deer if you are lucky. If you do happen to have that really good friend, you will get put in a solid location. That being said, on a standard lease where you are hunting local food sources (not food plots or feeders) and the hunting pressure is pretty high, you may only see one deer every 5 outings. The trick is to get into the woods more. When I was living in GA, I only saw deer about 20% of the time I was in the woods. Not for lack of trying, but deer don't move on my schedule and I can only hunt out of 1 stand at a time. There were many times when I hunted one stand and had deer under 2-3 other places on the lease (verified by trail cameras). That is the other thing. Once you get on a lease, you should have at least 3 places that are "yours" with trail cameras out at each of them. If you are not seeing deer on those cameras, find a different location. YouTube is a good resource for figuring out where to place stands and cameras. Also, if your lease doesn't have food plots, look into get the members together to plant them. If they do, you may not get to hunt the food plots as a new member, but look for places that the deer use to travel to and from the food plots and set up there.

When I lived in TX, I took advantage of going to some ranches and doing meat hunts, because a 2-5 hour drive wasn't that difficult and the price was right. Now that I live in Missouri, the only reason I am going to TX is to trophy hunt exotics and that is only when I don't get drawn for a hunt out west.

The GON and Outdoors Trader forums are good resources where you have a good chance of meeting up with people in your area to show you how to do things. I am a member on both of those forums as well. I was a Moderator on the GON forum when I lived there. There are some great folks in GA who would be more than willing to help show you the ropes, but rest assured, they won't just give up all the secrets until you build a relationship with them.

As for how to process your own game, there are plenty of really good YouTube videos on how it is done. As well as how to prepare game meat for consumption. The most important thing is how the meat is cared for after the shot. The trick is to get it cooled down as quickly as possible. At all my leases we had either a skinning shed or at least a grambel in a tree. My goal was to get the deer from shot to cooler in less than 2 hours unless the temps were really high in the early season, then the goal was <1 hour.

I hope this helps.

I believe that is why my buck didn't taste too good. We didn't gut it.....just into the truck and an hour plus over to a processor. Maybe even longer. W ho knows when they got around to cleaning it after we left. Maybe was left until following day.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7560050 07/19/19 01:45 PM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
I didn't know in Georgia we have to apply for permission to hunt quail, rabbits and even hogs? I thought one simply paid for a permit and only rarer game such as alligator required a lucky lotto draw. I thought the State Government desperately wanted people to harvest as many hogs as possible. They want quota draws for everything.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7560296 07/19/19 07:32 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Probably a state combo hunt and fish license, plus a fort benning permit to hunt and fish, and you are good. A trotline and a couple trips after rabbit and squirrel and it's probably paid for itself a couple times over, if you are looking at economics.

And get a shotgun. You are gonna set yourself up for a lot of dissappointment using just a crossbow.

Remingtons game loads, #6 shot. About $5- $6 per box of 25 and good on small game to around 30 yards, so your rabbit and squirrel are about 25 cents apiece. Use high brass federal #4's for fox squirrels and shooting high up in the pines. Cost more like $8 a box but worth it for the extra ten yards range and knockdown power.

I know it feels like asking his royal majesty for permission to take game. But without the revenue this stuff generates there would be no good hunting or fishing.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 07/19/19 07:33 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: 10 Gauge] #7560571 07/20/19 07:33 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
Probably a state combo hunt and fish license, plus a fort benning permit to hunt and fish, and you are good. A trotline and a couple trips after rabbit and squirrel and it's probably paid for itself a couple times over, if you are looking at economics.

And get a shotgun. You are gonna set yourself up for a lot of dissappointment using just a crossbow.

Remingtons game loads, #6 shot. About $5- $6 per box of 25 and good on small game to around 30 yards, so your rabbit and squirrel are about 25 cents apiece. Use high brass federal #4's for fox squirrels and shooting high up in the pines. Cost more like $8 a box but worth it for the extra ten yards range and knockdown power.

I know it feels like asking his royal majesty for permission to take game. But without the revenue this stuff generates there would be no good hunting or fishing.

I have the 30-06 Savage brand rifle I bought too hunt deer about 14 years ago. I am glad you suggested the shotgun. In keeping with the advice earlier in this thread (learning to hunt squirrel to become ready to hunt bigger game) I was already pricing a scope and .22 Rifle for me and a Pellet Gun for my sun to hunt squirrels. Are you saying the shotgun would be better than scoped .22 rifle?

I have always wanted to run a trotline. When my dad would taking me fishing as I kid, he explained what they were but also said they were illegal to use in Georgia. Maybe I misheard him.

Thanks again sir.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7560657 07/20/19 02:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I would suggest the scoped 22 and for your purpose you can go real low end on both and be fine. Others may disagree but that's whats great about this forum-a wide spectrum of advice. Theres not always a black and white answer to lots of stuff in life, ESPECIALLY when you factor in that everyone is different and has different goals and expectations (insert reading of my signature line here). Just keep soaking up the scatter shot of advice and eventually make up your own mind and all will be good.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7560940 07/20/19 11:23 PM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A .22 is great too. Definitely get better range with a good .22 over a shotgun, ammo is cheaper still.

I like a shotgun because a lot of times you'll only get a quick shot. Plus they are so versatile.

I like the air rifle too, it's a great tool and pays for itself quickly in the cost of ammo. Nevermind the price to use range.

Hunting with an air rifle is a bit more of a challenge though. A good day with a breakbarrel for me is 3 or more kills over the span of most of the day. I think the boy would do better with a .22 or a shotgun. Then again a cheap multipump pellet gun is all I had when I was a boy and killed a lot with it.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7561138 07/21/19 04:08 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/fishing/fishing-methods/

Georgia regs similar to texas regs. Max 50 hooks, labeled name date address. Keep it simple, find a topo map and weigh the center down to the bottom around a channel to cover the entire water column. Or just use a pole.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7561952 07/22/19 04:38 PM
D
Dakota79 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
If you ever make it to South Dakota I can help you get several deer and show you the ropes along the way.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: Dakota79] #7562012 07/22/19 05:45 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Dakota79
If you ever make it to South Dakota I can help you get several deer and show you the ropes along the way.

Pretty wonderful how some guys have offered to help a stranger. Love it!!!

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7562018 07/22/19 05:54 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Got bad news for you. Venison, wild pork, wild fish...any living animal whether it lived free or was finished on a feedlot will have hormones. There is no such thing as hormone free meat. Hormones occur naturally.

Also - the effects of implants (growth hormones in small doses) is negligible on the levels of "hormones" in the finished product vs a non-implanted animal. Also - all meat sold in the US is antibiotic free. Lots of myths that constantly race around to hurt the Ag industry.

With that said - I commend you for wanting to put healthier options on the table as venison and wild pork are much healthier (less fat and a lot less saturated fats) than grain finished animals. You have had some great offers and great advice.

I didn't see you mention anything about fishing. I know there is great fishing in Georgia. Fishing is also A LOT cheaper way to put some other healthy meat options on the table (just don't fry everything!).

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: Dakota79] #7564692 07/26/19 07:11 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted by Dakota79

Just now seeing this! Thanks so much for this generous offer to help. I can make it to South Dakota just to hunt with you. I will send direct message. Thanks again.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: Cochise] #7564693 07/26/19 07:13 AM
S
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Originally Posted by Cochise
Got bad news for you. Venison, wild pork, wild fish...any living animal whether it lived free or was finished on a feedlot will have hormones. There is no such thing as hormone free meat. Hormones occur naturally.

Also - the effects of implants (growth hormones in small doses) is negligible on the levels of "hormones" in the finished product vs a non-implanted animal. Also - all meat sold in the US is antibiotic free. Lots of myths that constantly race around to hurt the Ag industry.

With that said - I commend you for wanting to put healthier options on the table as venison and wild pork are much healthier (less fat and a lot less saturated fats) than grain finished animals. You have had some great offers and great advice.

I didn't see you mention anything about fishing. I know there is great fishing in Georgia. Fishing is also A LOT cheaper way to put some other healthy meat options on the table (just don't fry everything!).

I have been thinking about fishing lately too. I kind of got soured on fishing because when I would go with my dad growing up to pay lakes or a river by the house, we would rarely get more than three small fish, and often times none. A few years back I went with a co-worker to North Georgia and East Tennessee lakes several times to fish for trout and we seldom caught much of anything. In seven trips I caught one and he caught a handful.

Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7565155 07/27/19 01:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
shocked Jimi Hendrix is back and now posting on the THF hammer

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: New Hunter Seeking Help/Guidance [Re: SouthSaturnDelta] #7566674 07/29/19 03:30 AM
10 Gauge Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
If you ever make t out to Texas I'd be glad to show you the ropes bank fishing. Here's a few good pictures...

Attached Files 76D195F0-51BF-45B0-8DA7-FB723CA14098.jpeg10B9FB5B-77AA-4AAB-B77F-2CE9D6D1C815.jpeg46BC4663-B1EB-40AD-A9B5-3814941C8976.jpeg3B1F67E0-F80F-44DA-8433-479B4D467B1B.jpeg63ADD0D2-AC44-40E7-9209-07D0B5E6C73D.jpeg

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide