Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,511
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: freerange] #7557665 07/16/19 03:15 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by freerange
I suggest throwing it out to the forum to decide the parameters of the rules. The spirit of the idea would be to simulate actual hunting situations(rifle, caliber, scope, positions, distance, number of rounds etc.) Maybe set up a poll/survey, or whatever its called, and list all the categories that need to be addressed and see what the consensus is. Theguywithstupidlongscreenname can still override the consensus and decide what the parameters are. I would personally like to find out how many "hunters" as opposed to "shooters" would be interested in doing this. If theres no interest then stay with your more precision shooting kinda rules. If the rules were hunter friendly then I would likely volunteer time to help pull this off(maybe throw in on the prize table).

What exactly would you guys like to see changed over the current Hunters Challenge format?

Lets go down the list:

Rifle: What constitues a "hunting rifle"? Any rifle that can launch a projectile that will take down the animal in question is considered a hunting rifle to me. Just because it doesn't fit the miss conceptions that a hunting rifle has to be a wood stock with sporter barrel and duplex reticle 3-9x scope doesn't mean that it isn't someone's hunting rifle. Tactical rifles can be used to hunt with and probably to a far better extent than regular "hunting rilfes" but some people are just set in their ways.

Caliber: In the past all calibers used in the Hunting Challenge have all been calibers that could take down most everything in North America.

Positions: All shots being taken are hunting scenarios, most of which are on steel that has been laser cut to mimic the animal in question. The positional stuff is a great way to help hunters get out of their comfort zone of just shooting off a bench or prone, it helps them be able to make shots off fence post or off a tree for more stability.

Distance: The longest shot is 300 yards in the Hunters Challenge, that is not very far for hunting scenarios unless you just hunt over a feeder at 50 yards.

Number of rounds: This is really a moot point considering the generous time that is given for each stage. Dave Kershen actually used a single shot 22 for the 22 match and top loaded every single round. He ran out of time I think once. With a regular "hunting rifle" and a 3 round internal box mag you'd be able to run all the stages with no problem.

I guess I just don't understand the negativity towards our current format. I personally haven't shot a duplex reticle since I was about 12 years old on my Marlin 22LR and will never own one have no use for it. Times change, there is better equipment out there.

[Linked Image]

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7557699 07/16/19 03:50 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
You haven't learned that you can't please everyone yet....come on grasshopper. grin

There will always be someone that wants to bitch about something....funny how 99% of the time those are the guys who are no where to be found when work needs to be done either. They want to bitch, they don't want to help. bang

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557741 07/16/19 04:50 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by KRoyal
I suggest throwing it out to the forum to decide the parameters of the rules. The spirit of the idea would be to simulate actual hunting situations(rifle, caliber, scope, positions, distance, number of rounds etc.) Maybe set up a poll/survey, or whatever its called, and list all the categories that need to be addressed and see what the consensus is. Theguywithstupidlongscreenname can still override the consensus and decide what the parameters are. I would personally like to find out how many "hunters" as opposed to "shooters" would be interested in doing this. If theres no interest then stay with your more precision shooting kinda rules. If the rules were hunter friendly then I would likely volunteer time to help pull this off(maybe throw in on the prize table).

What exactly would you guys like to see changed over the current Hunters Challenge format?

Lets go down the list:

Rifle: What constitues a "hunting rifle"? Any rifle that can launch a projectile that will take down the animal in question is considered a hunting rifle to me. Just because it doesn't fit the miss conceptions that a hunting rifle has to be a wood stock with sporter barrel and duplex reticle 3-9x scope doesn't mean that it isn't someone's hunting rifle. Tactical rifles can be used to hunt with and probably to a far better extent than regular "hunting rilfes" but some people are just set in their ways.

Caliber: In the past all calibers used in the Hunting Challenge have all been calibers that could take down most everything in North America.

Positions: All shots being taken are hunting scenarios, most of which are on steel that has been laser cut to mimic the animal in question. The positional stuff is a great way to help hunters get out of their comfort zone of just shooting off a bench or prone, it helps them be able to make shots off fence post or off a tree for more stability.

Distance: The longest shot is 300 yards in the Hunters Challenge, that is not very far for hunting scenarios unless you just hunt over a feeder at 50 yards.

Number of rounds: This is really a moot point considering the generous time that is given for each stage. Dave Kershen actually used a single shot 22 for the 22 match and top loaded every single round. He ran out of time I think once. With a regular "hunting rifle" and a 3 round internal box mag you'd be able to run all the stages with no problem.

I guess I just don't understand the negativity towards our current format. I personally haven't shot a duplex reticle since I was about 12 years old on my Marlin 22LR and will never own one have no use for it. Times change, there is better equipment out there.

I believe there wasn't a problem filling the slots for the Hunter's Challenge. I wouldn't change a thing.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7557787 07/16/19 05:56 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
“He who shall remain nameless from now on” just needs a little nappy Judd. He be aight then up

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7557788 07/16/19 05:57 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I wasn't assuming the current Hunters Challenge would change. I just thought one of your guys that was real involved and knew the scoop wanted to add a new a contest and tweak off the old a little. Also, I wasn't bitching at all but merely adding to suggestions already stated. Also, ill admit to not researching the particulars of the current format and had no idea the longest shot was 300 yards(could of swore 500), which 300 would be fine by me. I do not have an issue with caliber for sure and likely do not have much issue with the current format. I only mentioned the round count cause I shoot a 3006 and cant handle 100 rounds of recoil in a day I don't think. Im planning on building a gun that has less recoil mostly just for competitions like this. I just assumed there was something needed tweaking or it wouldn't of been brought up. Im likely in for whatever yall do that simulates hunting but ill just butt out of offering input on the format. KRoyal, thanks for a very informative reply. Lastly, I apologize for jumping on a thread without knowing enough about it.

Last edited by freerange; 07/16/19 06:01 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: freerange] #7557816 07/16/19 06:43 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I wasn't assuming the current Hunters Challenge would change. I just thought one of your guys that was real involved and knew the scoop wanted to add a new a contest and tweak off the old a little. Also, I wasn't bitching at all but merely adding to suggestions already stated. Also, ill admit to not researching the particulars of the current format and had no idea the longest shot was 300 yards(could of swore 500), which 300 would be fine by me. I do not have an issue with caliber for sure and likely do not have much issue with the current format. I only mentioned the round count cause I shoot a 3006 and cant handle 100 rounds of recoil in a day I don't think. Im planning on building a gun that has less recoil mostly just for competitions like this. I just assumed there was something needed tweaking or it wouldn't of been brought up. Im likely in for whatever yall do that simulates hunting but ill just butt out of offering input on the format. KRoyal, thanks for a very informative reply. Lastly, I apologize for jumping on a thread without knowing enough about it.

No problem, I wasn't really pointing that at you specifically I just used your examples to make some points. You're not the only one in this tread that asked these questions and I was just wondering what everyone wants to change about the current format. As far as round count it is normally around 60ish rounds. We have a few that bring 300WM and shoot them for the match. The Hunters Match is gear specifically towards hunters, the Tactical Match or Long Range Match is geared more towards PRS type shooting. It goes out to 800 yards and is normally held in mid July when it is 115 degrees outside.

By the way not sure if you know Jeremy (ITRDM) but he was actually trolling with this post, he never intended to actually hold a match with just duplex reticles.

[Linked Image]

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7557825 07/16/19 06:52 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Ive been waiting for a challenge that I can actually relate to! What general area of texas to these competitions take place in? Id love to put some faces to some names.

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7557831 07/16/19 06:53 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
Ive been waiting for a challenge that I can actually relate to! What general area of texas to these competitions take place in? Id love to put some faces to some names.

Wolfe City TX, about 45 minutes from you.

[Linked Image]

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557839 07/16/19 07:06 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Well I'm not as well seasoned, knowledgeable, or well versed as many of you, but if theres a spot and its on a weekend Id love to come meet and sling some lead. Ill follow the thread. Assuming it was an open invitation to the THF lol. Been wanting to do one of these!

Last edited by SenkoSamurai; 07/16/19 07:07 PM.
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: Judd] #7557843 07/16/19 07:12 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Judd
You haven't learned that you can't please everyone yet....come on grasshopper. grin

There will always be someone that wants to bitch about something....funny how 99% of the time those are the guys who are no where to be found when work needs to be done either. They want to bitch, they don't want to help. bang

rofl Are you name dropping Josh again???

[Linked Image]

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7557844 07/16/19 07:16 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

Well I'm not as well seasoned, knowledgeable, or well versed as many of you, but if theres a spot and its on a weekend Id love to come meet and sling some lead. Ill follow the thread. Assuming it was an open invitation to the THF lol. Been wanting to do one of these!

This duplex reticle only match probably won't happen. But we do yearly Hunting, Tactical, and 22LR matches. Will probably do the 22LR matches a few more times a year though.

[Linked Image]

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557861 07/16/19 07:30 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

peep

Naw, it wasn't at one individual...sorry freerange that wasn't directed at you specifically...unless you come to bitch and not offer to help grin

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7557863 07/16/19 07:33 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Alright Ill just keep tracking and see when the next one is fellas.

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7557872 07/16/19 07:43 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Senko, you will do fine in the Hunters Rifle Challenge with whatever you have, its a blast and VERY well run

Dont change anything on the Hunters Challenge, DAL wants it just like it was.

Dont tease about the rimfire match's, are you REALLY going to do several a year just for CAST or everyone. I need to get busy and do some trading and building peep

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557883 07/16/19 07:51 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Lets go down the list:

Well done Kyle.

I almost added, but self control got the better of me.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: J.G.] #7557902 07/16/19 08:04 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Senko, you will do fine in the Hunters Rifle Challenge with whatever you have, its a blast and VERY well run

Dont tease about the rimfire match's, are you REALLY going to do several a year just for CAST or everyone. I need to get busy and do some trading and building peep

I was planning on possibly doing them 3 times a year. Since we got started late this year will probably be end of October for the next one, then next year will be doing March, June, and Oct next year if everything works out.

These are just preliminary plans and subject to change though.

Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Well done Kyle.

Haha, you've had some pretty good self control lately. What happened? You getting soft in your old age rofl

[Linked Image]

Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557909 07/16/19 08:12 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I was planning on possibly doing them 3 times a year. Since we got started late this year will probably be end of October for the next one, then next year will be doing March, June, and Oct next year if everything works out.

Well done Kyle.

Haha, you've had some pretty good self control lately. What happened? You getting soft in your old age rofl

Oh chit, JG on the blue pills already?
bolt

Nothing needs to change on any of the matches except off hand shooting...'cause I suck at it.

Poor Beez.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557922 07/16/19 08:20 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Well done Kyle.

Opposite.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557925 07/16/19 08:21 PM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: KRoyal] #7557946 07/16/19 08:36 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

No problem, I wasn't really pointing that at you specifically I just used your examples to make some points. You're not the only one in this tread that asked these questions and I was just wondering what everyone wants to change about the current format. As far as round count it is normally around 60ish rounds. We have a few that bring 300WM and shoot them for the match. The Hunters Match is gear specifically towards hunters, the Tactical Match or Long Range Match is geared more towards PRS type shooting. It goes out to 800 yards and is normally held in mid July when it is 115 degrees outside.

By the way not sure if you know Jeremy (ITRDM) but he was actually trolling with this post, he never intended to actually hold a match with just duplex reticles.

No, I don't know Jeremy but ive followed some of his posts so I got a feel for him:) I don't know anyone on the forum except that I have spoken to Chad. I fully intend to see Jasons range and hopefully meet him. Hopefully others as well as the opportunity arises. Always gonna be some butts but surely lots of great guys on here(even the "shooters").
Im glad Fireman exhibited self control. KRoyal responded very well in his stead. All through life I am usually the "doer" so I would never want to bitch or complain about an endeavor that others are volunteering their time and energy to. Ive been on the other side of it and I keep being the doer but its no fun when you put effort into something and others sit back and pick it apart.
This may not be the time or the thread but please consider posting the current rules of Hunters Challenge when you can. I assume its always subject to change at this early date so interject any thoughts on any possible changes. Im considering building a rifle so I need some time. I just heard 80 shots and 20 to zero=100 so i need less recoil. Thanks guys.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7557996 07/16/19 09:51 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Nothing wrong with previous format, except the Standing, Free-hand station which sucks to the max and should be banned forever. The targets and times were generous and it didn’t take a high dollar tactical build to be competitive.
Shooters like JG and Chad (some others) could win with an off the shelf rifle and decent ammo.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: Bullfrog] #7558033 07/16/19 10:35 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline OP
Snarky Mark
OP Offline
Snarky Mark
I
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Alright now superduperlongazzfreakingscreennameguy, you can just drop atom bombs, walk away and not expect just a few inquiries on the matter.

If Josh were here, he’d beat you with a rubber hose mister!

I didn't think anyone would take it this serious. roflmao I was getting my bday drink on when I came up with this jewel.

Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: First Annual Duplex Reticle Challenge [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7558254 07/17/19 02:24 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I’ll say this, you are ALL in for a surprise of defeat when the 22 match pops up again. Or at the very least left thinkin’ “where’d THAT come from?”

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide