Print Thread
Where would you park? #7557564 07/16/19 01:29 PM
S
Stevarino Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
I picked up a couple pastures just east of Seymour recently and trying to figure out where to park. I haven’t hunted this area in many years but really happy to get back out this way. This specific piece is a little tricky though as it’s big country with a lot of open area. I’ll be setting up 2 permanent stands with feed pens, and a few tripods strategically placed around the wheat fields. There’s minimal pressure around this piece as the land owner is the same owner on 3 sides and is not hunted, but there are good thickets that feed across the fence lines. All gates are on the south marked with green dots. Stands are red dots, feeders are yellow dots. Blue line is a road, and purple is just a distance for reference.
Looking at the stand on the NW side, it’s 750 yards walking down the blue road. It’s 1100 yards from the southern gate. The pond to the south west of the NW stand is about 330 yards and I’ll be able to see that after mowing. It sits up on a little hill looking 100 yards to the feed pen and about 130 to the edge of the wheat field. Keep in mind I take at least one child 90% of the time but they’re big enough to walk a good ways (10 & 7)
Would you park at a gate and walk or would you try to drive in a ways.? Considering multiple options as I don’t always like to park in the same spot.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stevarino; 07/16/19 01:33 PM.
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557575 07/16/19 01:41 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Biggest problem I see is that walking in, you'll be walking with the primary wind most of the time. Personally, at either stand I'd park at the closest gate and walk the fenceline until even or close-to-even with the blind, then cut over. However, on the eastern stand, with a SW-W-NW-NE-E wind, you could drive across the field and park in the treeline out of sight of the blind and the field and walk the road.

That looks like a great place. Good luck!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557580 07/16/19 01:45 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I find parking 200 yards or so down wind from the stand never gets me busted, so I let the wind decide where I park. If there is no feasible spot for the wind I hunt a different stand that does.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Where would you park? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7557668 07/16/19 03:18 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Biggest problem I see is that walking in, you'll be walking with the primary wind most of the time. Personally, at either stand I'd park at the closest gate and walk the fenceline until even or close-to-even with the blind, then cut over. However, on the eastern stand, with a SW-W-NW-NE-E wind, you could drive across the field and park in the treeline out of sight of the blind and the field and walk the road.

That looks like a great place. Good luck!

I hear you. My boys will just have to toughen up and make the walk.
I figured the deer will travel those wooded sections until the wheat comes up. We chose those spots because of elevation change and being able to place a feeder off the wheat field yet able to see into the wheat.

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7557672 07/16/19 03:20 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I find parking 200 yards or so down wind from the stand never gets me busted, so I let the wind decide where I park. If there is no feasible spot for the wind I hunt a different stand that does.

Fortunately we have another few hundred acres to the west separated by a little sanctuary where we’ll set up on the south side for wind changes. The property looks great but has been a challenge to set up.

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557684 07/16/19 03:33 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
If landowner is same on 3 sides and those 3 sides are not hunted, then is there gate access to fence line of property to West and gate access to fence line property to East? If so, could you get permission to drive in those gates and up those fence lines and park, then cross fence (put in fence crossing stairs, if needed) and walk straight to blind? If not, then you could consider putting up screening fence (like a couple prefab wood fence panels from Home Depot or Lowes) behind stand and just drive in and park behind the screening fence if you have a non smelly truck/utv. Differing opinions of which is worse, driving or walking through an area deer may be crossing to get into your hunting sight zone. Harder to smell tire tracks than boot tracks, lol....

I have driven right up to some blinds, park and step right out of driver seat on to ladder of blind never touching the ground and deer paid no attention to the truck/utv. Everyone on lease did this and deer were just used to it I guess.

Good luck

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557685 07/16/19 03:36 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I sometimes park myself in the truck when it is cold and usually see just as many deer.

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557704 07/16/19 03:54 PM
S
Slimpickin Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
if I park my truck somewhat facing the direction of my stand, the Deer become spooked. With the tailgate facing the stand area, the deer walk by with no signs of nervousness. I assume they feel there is no danger if the truck is pointed in the opposite direction.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #7557708 07/16/19 03:59 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
If landowner is same on 3 sides and those 3 sides are not hunted, then is there gate access to fence line of property to West and gate access to fence line property to East? If so, could you get permission to drive in those gates and up those fence lines and park, then cross fence (put in fence crossing stairs, if needed) and walk straight to blind? If not, then you could consider putting up screening fence (like a couple prefab wood fence panels from Home Depot or Lowes) behind stand and just drive in and park behind the screening fence if you have a non smelly truck/utv. Differing opinions of which is worse, driving or walking through an area deer may be crossing to get into your hunting sight zone. Harder to smell tire tracks than boot tracks, lol....

I have driven right up to some blinds, park and step right out of driver seat on to ladder of blind never touching the ground and deer paid no attention to the truck/utv. Everyone on lease did this and deer were just used to it I guess.

Good luck

We haven’t received permission to access from the other pastures, but I haven’t really asked. Thanks.

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Slimpickin] #7557710 07/16/19 04:00 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Slimpickin
if I park my truck somewhat facing the direction of my stand, the Deer become spooked. With the tailgate facing the stand area, the deer walk by with no signs of nervousness. I assume they feel there is no danger if the truck is pointed in the opposite direction.

That’s interesting

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557720 07/16/19 04:16 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
can you park within 50 yards of the blind?

I"m a fan of parking as close as I can to the blind without them seeing it.

You spook way more animals walking in than you do driving in.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557738 07/16/19 04:47 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I would find a spot as close to the blinds as possible to park. I would also invest in a road feeder and use it to feed the roads every trip I make to the lease. I have used a road feeder since 1989 and always parked at or as close to the blind as I can. After feeding the roads in the off season you will learn where the deer approach from or bed at. It has helped my success tremendously using a road feeder. With that large grain field it makes morning hunts difficult no matter how you approach your stand. That is where the road feeder will bring the deer back to your hunting area. IME deer are less likely to run from a vehicle as they are to run from a person walking to a stand.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557750 07/16/19 05:03 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Driving in is an option as long as it’s dry. I’ll need to look a little more behind the stand for a parking option. I can only speculate which direction the deer are coming from so who knows, I may end up having to re position after this first season.

I do have a road feeder and plan on using it

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557778 07/16/19 05:38 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
In all honesty, can you not find a way to get to your blind with out www.

Put the big boy panties on and do for it.

Last edited by fishdfly; 07/16/19 05:40 PM.
Re: Where would you park? [Re: fishdfly] #7557784 07/16/19 05:52 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by fishdfly

Soon you’ll learn there’s a wealth of knowledge on the THF grasshopper. Just looking for opinions.
Now provide me some feedback or hop back over to the TFF

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7557889 07/16/19 07:55 PM
W
Whack n stack Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Stevarino
Originally Posted by fishdfly

Soon you’ll learn there’s a wealth of knowledge on the THF grasshopper. Just looking for opinions.
Now provide me some feedback or hop back over to the TFF

clap trout

Re: Where would you park? [Re: don k] #7558672 07/17/19 06:27 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by don k
I sometimes park myself in the truck when it is cold and usually see just as many deer.

As I've gotten older and less mobile I park as close to the stand as I can with some concealment, or just sit in my truck.
It's like anything that you do to change the natural settings, and the deer may take a little bit to get used to it, but once they do I see just as many deer sitting in the truck as I did parking a 1/4 mile away, and with less chance of spooking the deer or spreading my scent walking in.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7558703 07/17/19 07:13 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I park in front of the cabin, from the bedroom the feeder is about 100 yards. The cabin, the vehicles and everything else doesn't seem to be a problem.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7559554 07/18/19 06:47 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I like to park near the blind, usually in the 100-200 yard range. If I forget something in the truck, it is close by. I agree with the other posts that walking all over the place will leave much more scent than driving. Depending on the layout of where the stand is, in some areas I park almost next to the stand.

Re: Where would you park? [Re: Stevarino] #7559570 07/18/19 07:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
"The more you walk the more you see."

I'll be hunting a new and smaller (75 acres) tract this season where I can park the truck and easily walk to any stand location. The ATV will stay parked in the barn until it's needed to haul something out of the woods. The tract has never been hunted and the landowner says it's where all the deer run once the shooting starts. I have no intention of making it easy for the deer to learn something has changed.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide