C
Going to get one, I think. Good or bad?

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7552407 07/09/19 07:58 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
If your going to use it as a grill I highly recommend one. I do not like using them to smoke meats. I've used or eaten off of several and they can't beat an old fashioned stick burner. Don't get me wrong, they can make decent smoked food. It just seems like such a waste to smoke food for hours on end to come out with something sub par.

But, they do better than charcoal and can be ready to cook as fast as a propane grill. The temperature consistency is terrific and really helps make consistent food. Steaks, burgers, or whatever else you would typically through on a grill come out fantastic and really makes it easy. Learning to use the temperature control is a great feature as well. If you want to turn up the heat to get something finished, you just simply turn the temperature knob. On top of all that you get a wood fire cooked taste.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7552411 07/09/19 08:07 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Got one and kept it for a year sold it and went back to a stick smoker. I did not like the results.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7552414 07/09/19 08:15 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
From all the reading I have done on them, you either like it or you don't.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7552482 07/09/19 09:15 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I absolutely love my Traeger. Totally disagree with sub par opinion.
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7548939/smoked-pork-tender#Post7548939

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: ETexas Hunter] #7552555 07/09/19 10:17 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter
I absolutely love my Traeger. Totally disagree with sub par opinion.
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7548939/smoked-pork-tender#Post7548939

That looks outstanding, man. Even if I don't agree with you I would love to come over and eat that!

I never said you couldn't get flavor. That comes down to seasoning also. I just never have had the smoke I like from a pellet grill. Which cooking a for under two hours I wouldn't really consider smoking, but grilling. I get it was cooked at 225°F. Cooking low like that is an great way to cook any big chunk of meat. Like I said, for things like that they do outstanding. I would be willing to bet if you put that same piece of meat on a charcoal grill that you would get very similar results. Although, it would be more work to do it with charcoal. Take that same piece of meat and put it on my stick burner and I guarantee it would come out with a smokier wood fired flavor.

Brisket or pork shoulder on a pellet cooker can not stand up to a properly used stick burner in my opinion. If I'm going to cook over 4 hours I am using a stick burner.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7552829 07/10/19 03:34 AM
C
Cinch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I have the Yoder YS640 with the comp cart. Pricey, but no regrets at all. Built like a tank. When I want added smoke flavor, I also use the amazn smoke tube. Some pellets do put out more smoke than others. As far as heating up like a propane grill, that is does not. Takes about an hour or so to settle into desired temp if using it for low temp smoking. Goes up to 600 if you want to use it to sear steaks. I sold the stick burner shortly after purchasing the Yoder.

Last edited by Cinch; 07/10/19 03:35 AM.
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7552950 07/10/19 01:03 PM
G
GunsUp18 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
As mentioned above and its a great grill not a good smoker. I went out and bought a big Rec Tec as my first pellet grill. Brisket, Ribs and Pork Butt I do not like at all. Little if any smoke flavor. In order to get any smoke on it you must cook at 180 for the first six hours or so which slows things down.

Now for short cooks like burgers, hot dogs, Prime Rib, chicken and pork loin it's freaking awesome. With steaks I'll do the reverse sear and smoke it in the pellet grill then sear it on another cooker.

I ended up selling the big Rec Tec, bought a small Green Mountain Davy Crockett for short cooks and I'm currently in the market for a new smoker for long cooks.

Follow my BBQ Adventures on Instagram and YouTube! @mikebowerstv
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7553010 07/10/19 01:55 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Good option if you’re replacing a daily/propane style grill. I do smoke quite a bit on mine but if I have the time, I’ll use a more manual smoker. The only thing I don’t think cooks well on a pellet grill is brisket. I’ve just never been able to get a good bark. Smoke ring is there and color/taste is good, just not the same as a wood burning pit. I’d put just about anything else smoked up against a wood burning smoker any day.
I’ll add, I’ve had mine for about 4-5 years now and just had to replace quite a few parts including the control panel, fan, and heating element. The good thing is there’s plenty of resources for maintenance online and these are quite simple tasks. Pellets are also easy to get along with parts via amazon.

Forgot to mention, I follow Malcom Reed (howtobbqright) on YouTube. He has a ton of great recipes and shows you how to cook just about anything on the pellet grill. My favorites are the honey smoked ham, corn beef, and chicken legs (I think he calls them candy chicken legs because they look like candy apples).

Last edited by Stevarino; 07/10/19 01:58 PM.
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Stevarino] #7553068 07/10/19 02:49 PM
C
cannon88 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Stevarino
Forgot to mention, I follow Malcom Reed (howtobbqright) on YouTube. He has a ton of great recipes and shows you how to cook just about anything on the pellet grill. My favorites are the honey smoked ham, corn beef, and chicken legs (I think he calls them candy chicken legs because they look like candy apples).

I am going to check him out, thanks for the recommendation!

texas
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7553483 07/10/19 11:46 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I need a smoke ring on my brisket.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7557333 07/16/19 02:12 AM
L
Land_Man Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Anybody that says u can't get good smokey flavor out of a pellet grill clearly doesn't know what they're doing with their pellet grill. I've owned one for years and consistently make briskets, ribs, chicken that amazes almost every person that tries it. U gotta know your smoker and work it correctly....just like any other smoker. They're like knowing your wife....gotta know how to get her goin.... 😎

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7557351 07/16/19 02:36 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I use my traeger for grilling and smoking. Search any of my threads in the cooking sub forum (or look at my pork tender linked above) if you want to see the results. They speak for themselves. Am I going to win a BBq competition on one? Probably not, but I wouldn’t on my stick burner either. I’ll put my food cooked on a traeger up against anyone else’s. The pellet grills are really hard to beat.

Last edited by krmitchell; 07/16/19 02:37 AM.
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7557373 07/16/19 03:09 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Good stuff guys. I will be replacing the propane grill I had, and have been looking at the Camp Chef 24DLX w/sear box. I have a separate smoker already.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7557378 07/16/19 03:14 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Cool Mo D
I need a smoke ring on my brisket.

Beef ribs, but close enough. On the Traeger.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum.../Search/true/beef-short-ribs#Post7274811

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7557515 07/16/19 12:36 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I just consolidated my gas grill and masterbuilt smoker into a pellet grill/smoker. I went with the Pit Boss Pro 820 exclusive from Lowe’s. Make sure and get the Lowe’s version has upgraded cast iron diamond cook grates, rubber wheels, front foldable shelf, and color scheme. I’ve done ribs, chicken, and smoked cowboy beans, pork loin, corn on the cob, fajita chicken, and pineapple. Only got it on the 4th, but so far has been fantastic.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Land_Man] #7557600 07/16/19 02:05 PM
G
GunsUp18 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted by Land_Man
Anybody that says u can't get good smokey flavor out of a pellet grill clearly doesn't know what they're doing with their pellet grill. I've owned one for years and consistently make briskets, ribs, chicken that amazes almost every person that tries it. U gotta know your smoker and work it correctly....just like any other smoker. They're like knowing your wife....gotta know how to get her goin.... 😎

Anybody who says they can get good smoke flavor with a pellet grill clearly doesn't know anything about good bbq. ha

Last edited by GunsUp18; 07/16/19 02:12 PM.

Follow my BBQ Adventures on Instagram and YouTube! @mikebowerstv
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: GunsUp18] #7557652 07/16/19 03:03 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GunsUp18

Anybody who says they can get good smoke flavor with a pellet grill clearly doesn't know anything about good bbq. ha

That's my thought. I'll say it again, you can smoke good food on a pellet grill. But the best pellet grill will not be as good as the best stick burner. I've found that the people that tell me the pellet grill is just as good just aren't as picky about there food as I am. Most of these people can make good food on a stick burner, but they dont really know how to make great BBQ. It's like people enjoying boiled ribs with liquid smoke.

It's all about what you want. If you want to make decent smoked food most people will like, a pellet grill will do it. If you want to make great smoked food that people wont stop talking about, a stick burner is the only way.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7557901 07/16/19 08:04 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
cheap and easy way to get your brisket, PButt, ribs, etc smoked, charcoal with soaked pecan wood chips, watch the thermometer ...BOOM... its on....

[Linked Image]

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Thisisbeer] #7557905 07/16/19 08:08 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Originally Posted by GunsUp18

That's my thought. I'll say it again, you can smoke good food on a pellet grill. But the best pellet grill will not be as good as the best stick burner. I've found that the people that tell me the pellet grill is just as good just aren't as picky about there food as I am. Most of these people can make good food on a stick burner, but they dont really know how to make great BBQ. It's like people enjoying boiled ribs with liquid smoke.

It's all about what you want. If you want to make decent smoked food most people will like, a pellet grill will do it. If you want to make great smoked food that people wont stop talking about, a stick burner is the only way.

I'd like to hear some theory/explanation on why you think they produce notably different food, otherwise it just sounds like egotistical nonsense such as vinyl sounding better than CDs. Granted pulled-pork is a low bar, but I've produced pulled-pork on a POS Masterbuilt that's on par with anything I've gotten at a restaurant. And I've been to Blacks, Kreutz, Evie Mae's, and a lot of other 'good bbq' places and know the difference between good food and good BBQ. Why do you doubt it can be done on a pellet grill? Just because you haven't observed it?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Pellet Grill [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7557987 07/16/19 09:37 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

I'd like to hear some theory/explanation on why you think they produce notably different food, otherwise it just sounds like egotistical nonsense such as vinyl sounding better than CDs. Granted pulled-pork is a low bar, but I've produced pulled-pork on a POS Masterbuilt that's on par with anything I've gotten at a restaurant. And I've been to Blacks, Kreutz, Evie Mae's, and a lot of other 'good bbq' places and know the difference between good food and good BBQ. Why do you doubt it can be done on a pellet grill? Just because you haven't observed it?[/quote]

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7558116 07/17/19 12:08 AM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
to the guys that have pellet smokers... do they REALLY do as well as traditional smoker?
like, getting the smoke rings and penetrating a brisket?
has anyone had a brisket done on one that was was like "this is the best brisket I have ever had?"

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: ccoker] #7558144 07/17/19 12:40 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ccoker
to the guys that have pellet smokers... do they REALLY do as well as traditional smoker?
like, getting the smoke rings and penetrating a brisket?
has anyone had a brisket done on one that was was like "this is the best brisket I have ever had?"

Yes, a fantastic smoke ring and flavor that penetrates the meat. I can’t find a pic of the last brisket I did but look at the beef ribs I linked above, that should answer your question. And yes, I’ve smoked some of my best briskets, ribs, whole chicken, pork loins, pork shoulders and beef tenderloins on the traeger.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Cool Mo D] #7558193 07/17/19 01:22 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
krmitchell, you've obviously got lots of experience with a pellet grill, and I don't. Are you happy with the way your steaks turn out with the pellet grill? Just simple grilling? Thanks.

Re: Pellet Grill [Re: Jgraider] #7558201 07/17/19 01:27 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Jgraider
krmitchell, you've obviously got lots of experience with a pellet grill, and I don't. Are you happy with the way your steaks turn out with the pellet grill? Just simple grilling? Thanks.

I’m serious when I say this, but I no longer use my propane grill other than for really high heat searing. Steaks, burgers, chops and chicken all get cooked on the traeger. The steaks are truly one of a kind being cooked with pellets. Start cold smoking steaks and you are in a different league.

Last edited by krmitchell; 07/17/19 01:28 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide