Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,579
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Would You Breed Your Top Bird Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? #7555479 07/13/19 08:51 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’m thinking of getting a litter of pups out of Kate. I lost a dog last month and am down to three good bird dogs and a lab. I’ll have another to replace him before season. My hunting partner has 8 dogs so I’ll not be short of dog power most weekends. We buggy hunt.

She’d only miss a half dozen trips until my lease close to the house starts after deer season. I have two buddies that want a pup out of her and I’ll keep one. Anything left over should be easy to get rid of at Christmas time and pups would be grown to hunt next year. I hate to hunt without her as she finds most of the bird no matter what I put her on the ground with. Kate’s 4 and if I’m going to start breeding her it should probably be this year. She’s had her health clearances. Would y’all wait until January/February to breed her or go ahead and do it when she comes back into heat in a week or two?

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555481 07/13/19 08:55 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Now in a New York minute.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555533 07/13/19 10:16 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just wait

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555542 07/13/19 10:41 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Tough choice. I'm not found of raising pups in summer time heat. So I'd wait.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: bobcat1] #7555568 07/13/19 11:03 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bobcat1
Tough choice. I'm not found of raising pups in summer time heat. So I'd wait.

Do the math. It starts cooling in September.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555582 07/13/19 11:38 PM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Nope. Top dog in there prime goes by fast enough as it is. Add in the poor bird number seasons and injuries it’s even less time in the field. I leave the breeding to the pros

Last edited by blanked; 07/13/19 11:42 PM.
Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: blanked] #7555633 07/14/19 12:36 AM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by blanked
Nope. Top dog in there prime goes by fast enough as it is. Add in the poor bird number seasons and injuries it’s even less time in the field. I leave the breeding to the pros

That’s like saying, “Leave the training to the pro’s.” If you have two great wild bird dogs with stacked pedigrees. Why wouldn’t you breed them? Does that make you a pro? I’ll bet if that gyp cocker was half as good as the dog you have you’d have bred them? I would have and kept a pup. I have not had a litter of pups since we had dogs on dirt and they dug a tunnel to whelp them. Things are different now and my bride wants to take responsibility for a litter. Who knows, we may Be professionals after a few pups. up

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555691 07/14/19 02:04 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If your wife is willing to take care of the litter, then get after it!

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555731 07/14/19 02:51 AM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by scalebuster

That’s like saying, “Leave the training to the pro’s.” If you have two great wild bird dogs with stacked pedigrees. Why wouldn’t you breed them? Does that make you a pro? I’ll bet if that gyp cocker was half as good as the dog you have you’d have bred them? I would have and kept a pup. I have not had a litter of pups since we had dogs on dirt and they dug a tunnel to whelp them. Things are different now and my bride wants to take responsibility for a litter. Who knows, we may Be professionals after a few pups. up

Sorry Bobby, my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be on this IPhone. I thought that was your post, Blanked/Bobcat 1 looks the same, hence the English cocker comment. Too late to edit. I feel like an arse.

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555758 07/14/19 03:22 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Sorry Bobby, my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be on this IPhone. I thought that was your post, Blanked/Bobcat 1 looks the same, hence the English cocker comment. Too late to edit. I feel like an arse.

I'm probably going to breed that gyp in January and for the reasons I stated. She is coming on now. It is finally clicking. I'll know more in September. She just finished her 21 day cycle yesterday. She is far more athletic and now birdy than even Buster. Not even sure that is possible. Once you get her trained on something she is good on that from then on. It's been baby steps with her. I just have been patient and figure out how to train her. She is automatic as they come and fast doing it now. Really wants to please. We'll see if she puts it all together in September and this winter. And your right if she had proved out early she might have already had a litter at 2 years old. She'll be 3 in January.

No worries about the comments. Your eyes must be as good as mine. roflmao roflmao roflmao Not one bit of offense taken.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7555808 07/14/19 06:32 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Training doesn’t keep the dog sidelined during hunting season like the whole breeding process. Not the same.

I am a working man. I can’t take off work for a week cause I got a litter of puppies at home. If I did there’s goes another week of no hunting. Docking tails , dew claw removal not for me. Leave it to the pros

Do you still hunt your females in heat? My dogs run big out of sight most of the time. I don’t like the idea of hunting a female in heat. There goes more lost hunting time for my once in a lifetime bird dog

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7556237 07/14/19 11:52 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
January-February is what I would do if it was my dog.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7556243 07/14/19 11:57 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
January-February is what I would do if it was my dog.

Valentines puppies.... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7556533 07/15/19 01:28 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
I would. Not like shes gonna miss an entire season.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7557164 07/15/19 11:42 PM
S
scalebuster Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I talked to CCBIRDOGMAN earlier and we’ll have a nice litter of French Brittany gun dogs around Christmas. I have a Frenchy pup out of his dog Bleu (3YO) and she’s nice. Can’t wait to see what he and Kate produce. The bad thing about these French Brittany’s is it’s tough to tell whether they’re better pets or bird dogs.

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7557455 07/16/19 09:55 AM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Cant wait to see these pups.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7557813 07/16/19 06:39 PM
N
nesikabay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
I’m thinking of getting a litter of pups out of Kate. I lost a dog last month and am down to three good bird dogs and a lab. I’ll have another to replace him before season. My hunting partner has 8 dogs so I’ll not be short of dog power most weekends. We buggy hunt.

She’d only miss a half dozen trips until my lease close to the house starts after deer season. I have two buddies that want a pup out of her and I’ll keep one. Anything left over should be easy to get rid of at Christmas time and pups would be grown to hunt next year. I hate to hunt without her as she finds most of the bird no matter what I put her on the ground with. Kate’s 4 and if I’m going to start breeding her it should probably be this year. She’s had her health clearances. Would y’all wait until January/February to breed her or go ahead and do it when she comes back into heat in a week or two?
If I was you I would not breed her I would get a dog to breed her. If you breed her they would be some F UP pups

Re: Would Breed Your Top Dog If It Meant She’d Miss Half Of Hunting Season? [Re: scalebuster] #7559222 07/18/19 12:19 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I would not.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide