Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,475
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MLB finally admits changes to ball itself fueled home run spike [Re: ChadTRG42] #7555505 07/13/19 09:46 PM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Of course Verlander was right. I mean we are talking about a guy who has had a baseball in his hand for almost 40 years, I’d think he’d know if something changed as do all the rest of them. Look at the numbers it’s obvious, look at the numbers in AAA when they started using the same ball versus the old ball. 90% of the players are the same players that played in MLB last year yet we are on pace for 1000 more home runs. All these guys didn’t suddenly learn to hit.

As for the rule changes I’ve seen some of them already in the minors being used. My kid is in the minor league system of the Astros and one of their games went to extras the other day and they started the 10th inning with a runner on second no outs. First pitch was a bunt the runner moved over and two pitches later base hit run scores game over. I don’t know if I like it but twice now I’ve seen it end a game in the 10th and that’s what baseball wants so I’m betting that rule would be the first to be implemented if any.

This week started the stealing first base, mound moved back, and allowed one foul ball on a bunt with two strikes.

Re: MLB finally admits changes to ball itself fueled home run spike [Re: cmc] #7555509 07/13/19 09:52 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by cmc
Of course Verlander was right. I mean we are talking about a guy who has had a baseball in his hand for almost 40 years, I’d think he’d know if something changed as do all the rest of them. Look at the numbers it’s obvious, look at the numbers in AAA when they started using the same ball versus the old ball. 90% of the players are the same players that played in MLB last year yet we are on pace for 1000 more home runs. All these guys didn’t suddenly learn to hit.

As for the rule changes I’ve seen some of them already in the minors being used. My kid is in the minor league system of the Astros and one of their games went to extras the other day and they started the 10th inning with a runner on second no outs. First pitch was a bunt the runner moved over and two pitches later base hit run scores game over. I don’t know if I like it but twice now I’ve seen it end a game in the 10th and that’s what baseball wants so I’m betting that rule would be the first to be implemented if any.

This week started the stealing first base, mound moved back, and allowed one foul ball on a bunt with two strikes.

I do think the trend of hitters preferring to hit a dinger than anything else, and strikeouts not being frowned upon as much as they used to be has something to do with the uptick in home runs. But, the ball changing, as well as pitchers throwing harder, is more the reason.

I don’t blame pitchers for complaining. I don’t blame MLB for trying to increase offense (or pitchers complaining about that, either). But MLB being somewhat coy about it is kinda BS.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: MLB finally admits changes to ball itself fueled home run spike [Re: ChadTRG42] #7555562 07/13/19 11:00 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like it.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: MLB finally admits changes to ball itself fueled home run spike [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7555605 07/14/19 12:12 AM
C
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
There has been an uptick in homeruns over the last few years but this year is going to be like no other year. The science of baseball has changed and the science behind the athletes body and movements is getting better every year but the increase was steady and now there’s a huge spike and that’s not from bigger stronger players that’s a change somewhere else.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide