Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal #7541869 06/25/19 04:09 PM
EasyMoney Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Anyone know anything bout them? Compare to the flir?

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7542329 06/26/19 03:10 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I know some other dealers might chime in with more info but I have some legit concerns about the company and their longevity in the market. Not sure what all I can say, so I won't say much more.

From what I've heard the scopes are pretty good, but I'd highly consider waiting on something like the soon-to-be released Thermion XM30 what will be the same price as the Micro 35 but with a lot more options.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
The Late Night Vision Show - Co-Host
[Linked Image]
Night Vision, Thermal & Accessories
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7542464 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy
I know some other dealers might chime in with more info but I have some legit concerns about the company and their longevity in the market. Not sure what all I can say, so I won't say much more.

Well, the company has been around since 2003, so their longevity is pretty good so far. Previously, they didn't deal with the general public, doing government contracts instead. They are newer to the optics end of the market, but in terms of thermal, they have on board Gary and Mark Tarakanov who have fair extensive experience with companies such as ATN, Armasight, and FLIR. So they have a newer product line that comes with a lot of experience behind it and funded by a company that is well established.

I think the biggest concern in terms of longevity is that the company will be bought out by a bigger company as happened with IR Defense and Armasight. Armasight, as a company, only lasted 5 years (2011-2016). IR Defense had a shorter run (2013-2016). Both companies were, of course, picked up by larger companies and their products live on (as with their service) in those larger companies. Otherwise, every company has to start somewhere when entering the public market. PRG seems to have the components needed to make it successful.

Longevity is an interesting concept. PRG is not using proprietary batteries.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7542810 06/26/19 08:25 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Well, the company has been around since 2003, so their longevity is pretty good so far. Previously, they didn't deal with the general public, doing government contracts instead. They are newer to the optics end of the market, but in terms of thermal, they have on board Gary and Mark Tarakanov who have fair extensive experience with companies such as ATN, Armasight, and FLIR. So they have a newer product line that comes with a lot of experience behind it and funded by a company that is well established.

Your points are valid but I wasn't speaking off the cuff, I was speaking from previous first hand conversations.

I spoke with Mark Tarakanov on the phone this morning for a long time. Mark and Gary are no longer at PRG, they've completely split ties. They've started AGM Global and the PRG scopes will now be marketed and serviced by AGM. My concerns about PRG are more than substantiated, there is much more there than met the eyes. Anyone who has a PRG scope will no longer be dealing with them but instead with AGM. Longevity was short.

I have much more confidence in AGM and I look forward to using and testing their products in the future. I have intentionally kept 2 arms lengths from PRG and I told Mark this and he understands why. Now that he, Gary and Allen are on their own, I'm expecting we will see some interesting developments in the coming months.

Last edited by Outdoor Legacy; 06/26/19 08:26 PM.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7542835 06/26/19 08:47 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
LOL, so the Tarakanovs have moved yet again? Wow. Hopefully they will come up with something interesting. So far, much of the pattern of scopes they have been affiliated with have been remarkably similar between ATN, Armasight, FLIR, and PRG.

You can't say that PRG's longevity was short as they are still doing business, selling scopes.

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7542903 06/26/19 09:53 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker

You can't say that PRG's longevity was short as they are still doing business, selling scopes.

I hear ya but again, there is more to the story. I'm not trying to be a secret squirrel, I just can't always publicly say everything I might want to. If I do, I'm left out in the dark just speculating next time around.

The PRG scope company as we knew is not operating in the same capacity as it was when Mark and the guys where there. At this point, they are essentially acting as a dealer selling AGM scopes. If PRG continues to sell PRG branded scopes, they will be AGM scopes that are branded for them and still serviced by AGM. Without AGM, PRG doesn't have scopes..... I've said enough. At the end of the day, I'm just glad for Mark and his guys, I'm hoping they will do good.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7543720 06/27/19 10:54 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
[quote=Double Naught Spy]
The PRG scope company as we knew is not operating in the same capacity as it was when Mark and the guys where there. At this point, they are essentially acting as a dealer selling AGM scopes

Which is sort of like Sellmark acting as a distributor (and service center) for Pulsar scopes. Sellmark doesn't make them, but they do import the Pulsar scopes from the Republic of Belarus, distribute them to vendors, and do some limited service on them, often replacing scopes instead of actually servicing them. Sightmark and ATN are getting a lot or most of their actual production made for them in China. Gotta wonder how much Trump's Chinese tariffs are going to affect Wraith pricing.

So when you talk about who is making their own actual stuff and who is servicing their own actual stuff, there is a lot of it out there that is being handled by 3rd parties. It is not an uncommon practice.

And when you talk about thermal, it isn't like anybody other than FLIR is even using their own cores, the absolute critical component of thermal scopes, right? Trjicon is using BAE. Pulsar and ATN (at least previously) using ULIS. N-Vision is using a BAE core.

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7544283 06/28/19 09:15 PM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Gotta wonder how much Trump's Chinese tariffs are going to affect Wraith pricing.

Trust me the Trump tariffs are a hot topic and they can actually end up killing future models of the Wraith being produced or at least raise the consumer price by 25%.

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Outdoor Legacy] #7544558 06/29/19 04:17 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Gotta wonder how much Trump's Chinese tariffs are going to affect Wraith pricing.

Trust me the Trump tariffs are a hot topic and they can actually end up killing future models of the Wraith being produced or at least raise the consumer price by 25%.

But on the good side, they are going to slam its primary competition as well. So that part of the market will remain competitive, but more expensive than it had been. bang

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7545071 06/30/19 02:37 AM
Outdoor Legacy Offline
Tracker
Tracker

But on the good side, they are going to slam its primary competition as well. So that part of the market will remain competitive, but more expensive than it had been. bang

Bingo. The US consumer is paying for it either way. frown

Outdoor Legacy - Owner
[Linked Image]
OutdoorLegacyGear.com
(877)350-1818

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7555196 07/13/19 01:06 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We're carrying PRG products and thus far have been really pleased with them. We've sold a bunch so far and have had zero negative feed back from customers. This is over about 35 or 40 units if I recall.

I currently have a Micro 35 on an SBR and a Micro 50 Clip On in front of a NF 1-8 ATACR on a 6.8. Extremely impressed with the image quality for the price point. More than anything I'm impressed with the small size. While many others (ATN & Pulsar for example), made larger thermals this year, these guys made one smaller than anyone.

The 35 is, I believe, the smallest and lightest thermal scope on the market. The controls are similar to the Trijicon / IRD Reap IR series with the joystick. They also have front objective adjustable focus, which is lacking in some of the other entry level thermals, like the RXQ and the PTS 233.

One big weakness I've found is the factory mount is a major pos. It's soon to be a minor annoyance though because in about a week and a half, we'll have completed our work with Bobro Engineering to produce a high quality quick detach replacement.

I don't have any worries far as customer service is concerned currently. My former Armasight and later FLIR rep brought me in right at the start and he's a solid guy. The thermals carry the PRG branding but they're distributed and imported by the Apache Group. This was the bunch that made Armasight so good and have all since split after the FLIR merger. They're a good bunch and know how to make good thermals and handle customer service. I can get ahold of my rep on a Saturday night even. They currently send them with a 3 year warranty (even though the original documents said 2 years). There is talk they're going to extend that to 5 years and it'll be retroactive when they do.

If anyone has any questions on these units, feel free to hit me up. I think these, the new Pulsar Thermions and N-Vision Halo's are the best new entries to the civilian thermal market this year.

[Linked Image]
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7555199 07/13/19 01:08 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Also, they're produced overseas, likely down the road from Pulsar in Belarus. They utilize the same French-made ULIS core as Pulsar and ATN.

[Linked Image]
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7568976 07/31/19 08:55 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
MDMorrow,

Any update on the Bobro mount ?

Pricing ?

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7569194 08/01/19 03:12 AM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Yessir. The dual lever versions are on their way to me. The single lever compact version is a couple weeks out. Very solid.

[Linked Image]
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7590929 08/27/19 04:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
There is a striking resemblance between PRG/AGM smaller Micros and ASPS and Cono Tech units...

http://www.cono-tech.com/cp/bgmj/index.html

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7591410 08/27/19 11:49 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There is a striking resemblance between PRG/AGM smaller Micros and ASPS and Cono Tech units...

http://www.cono-tech.com/cp/bgmj/index.html

Kind of like a Ford Taurus bears a striking resemblance to a Ford Taurus. :roflmao

Last edited by dfwroadkill; 08/27/19 11:50 PM.
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7592035 08/28/19 05:15 PM
G
ghostlight Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
at my age I may just may be a rental dude

Don't be afraid of the light it's just me.
Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7593342 08/29/19 11:09 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
If you only need it a couple of times a year, that isn't a bad deal.

Re: Prg micro 35 and 50 thermal [Re: EasyMoney] #7602485 09/09/19 10:55 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Got the Bobro PRG / AGM Micro Mounts ready to roll now. They've made both a single lever and a dual lever. The dual is good for bolt guns or where you need to adjust eye relief beyond the rail. The single is better for a QD application and I like it better on the TS35. Pics in links below:

Dual Version

Single Version

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Happy to text more pics and such. I'm running a TS35 in the new single mount on my 6.8 SBR. It's a slick little compact setup.

The factory mount was total junk. These Bobros make it into a new scope.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide