Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? #7553293 07/10/19 08:02 PM
D
Dnk_usaf Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Afternoon all,
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or knows anything about Southwest Trophy Hunting in Southwest Texas? They started showing up on my Facebook feed with some deals that seem too good to be true, but the only info I can find on them is from their website or their Facebook page. The offer was 3 days/2 nights unlimited hogs and an exotic of any species, any size, should the opportunity present itself for $600 with no trophy fees. It is a free range hunt on 2000 acres near Rocksprings on which he said they have a lot of mouflon, aoudad, and axis. I'm guessing because fences get knocked down? When I saw it, i got excited because everything he listed is on my bucket list, but not in my price range at the moment. I figured $600 to go blast some hogs for 3 days is a pretty good deal in of itself, but throw in the chance to knock an animal off my bucket list, and it's a screaming good deal. Sounds too good to be true. Then I started looking through their Facebook page and a lot of the pictures were on there dozens of times like they just keep reusing old photos. They do have 36000 followers on Facebook, but I have yet to see anyone who has hunted with them post anything good, bad, or indifferent. They require 50% down to book a hunt for next year, which is pretty standard in my experience, but like I said, it seems too good to be true and I'd be afraid that someone would take a deposit and run with it. For the price, I wouldn't expect a 5 star experience. Hell, I'd even be willing to camp. My main concern is finding out if they are a legit operation in order to be confident that if I pay a down payment and book a hunt, it will actually happen as planned. If anyone has any info about or experience with this outfit, I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks!
Darren

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7554733 07/12/19 04:51 PM
D
Dnk_usaf Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
Should I take the silence as a cue not to book with them?

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7554864 07/12/19 08:06 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I have never heard of the place. We do have a lot of free-range exotics in the area (mostly axis, with blackbuck, aoudad, and others occasionally). I would call and talk to someone at the outfitter before laying out any money. There are some sketchy outfitters around. Nebraska to south Texas is a long way to drive to get scammed.

Looked at their website, and it raises more questions than it answers. $1500 is a great price for a trophy axis buck or blackbuck, but I am going to hazard a guess that not too many trophy animals are on the low fence area or the price would be higher. If you are looking for a cull or management animal, there are plenty of outfitters here on THF that are priced right and have plenty of references you can verify.

Take a look through some of these threads:

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/16/1/outfitters-guides

Last edited by Adchunts; 07/12/19 08:08 PM. Reason: added THF link
Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7558190 07/17/19 01:19 AM
S
SWTH Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
As ADCHUNTS stated -- calling and discussing the details with us is always a good idea. The website and Facebook posts also have Phone numbers, Email address, and a Contact Link to make contact with us with any questions you may have. As we also have many references that we send out almost daily to inquiring hunters. We have been in the outfitting business for over 12 years, with over 2,500 hunters . and Never Once has a Hunter sent in a Deposit and then Not had their date available to hunt. (some have been reschedule based on weather, floods, etc.. but this was always a recomendation to the client which they agreed on)

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7558194 07/17/19 01:22 AM
S
SWTH Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
FREE RANGE EXOTIC HUNT - $1500 (more than 90% opportunity rate for rifle hunters)
This hunt is Not Species Specifc . we cannot guarantee what species you will have opportunities on.

on our main free range ranch, the past 5 years -- we have "averaged" bigger axis off this free range place.
Bucks ranging from 23 inch to 37 inch have been harvested . (averaging @ 33") --- (in comparison to the typical 28 to 35 inch high fence bucks, averaging at 31/32 inch ...

HOG HUNTS - $590 - this allows for a possible option at a free range exotic any species any size. some will have this opportunity some will not.

HIGH FENCE EXOTIC HUNTS - $500 per person + kill fee
Axis - 2250
Sika - 2250
Blackbuck - 2250
Aoudad 2750
Fallow - 2750

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7558196 07/17/19 01:24 AM
S
SWTH Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
But as stated - i agree with ADCHUNTS ... making contact with us and asking these questions and asking for refferences is always a good idea. a Good outfitter is NEVER "bothered" by these questions , or "bothered" by providing references. its part of the business and what we do.

ADCHUNTS - for future reference with my website .. what questions did it "raise" ? -- (asking so that i may update this)

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7558484 07/17/19 01:32 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Dnk_usaf
Should I take the silence as a cue not to book with them?

Usually the bad apples are the places that everyone hears about and will tell you to avoid. Just because nobody on here is familiar with them doesn't mean that they are good or bad, but odds lean towards them being worth looking into since the bad outfitters usually have people complaining about them somewhere. Maybe not on here, but by googling the name of the outfit, the name of the owner and any other names associated with them, you will find something if there is a problem.

I've hunted free range exotics out of Sonora and there are a lot of them in that area. Mostly axis, but my sika was free range and I'm told there are quite a few other species in that area outside of the high fences. I've driven through Junction and didn't see anything, but that doesn't mean anything. There are a lot of high fence ranches there, so there are probably quite a few escapees that have done well too. It probably depends on how hard the area has been hunted on how well you will do. Was there a group in there before you go? Are they using feeders and are they kept full year round?

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7560508 07/20/19 02:03 AM
D
Dnk_usaf Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
D
I had forgotten about this thread and just now came back to it. I've been in communication with SWTH and all is good. We are setting up a hunt for April and it sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Thanks for the input y'all!

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7657452 11/10/19 02:08 PM
W
Wheeler1119 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
We have a Whitetail hunt scheduled for December with a chance at exotics and hogs.
I will post a review on this thread after the hunt is over. We are looking forward to this hunt and we are hoping to be able to reccomend this outfit to everyone we can tell if everything checks out.

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Wheeler1119] #7664826 11/17/19 11:44 PM
W
Wheeler1119 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
W
Asked this guy about lodging multiple times and he would not give me an address. He wanted me to meet him in town and follow him out to the property. Extremely sketchy setup. Tried to get deposit back and he refused anything but 50%. I do not advise this group to anyone. Not very informative. We are starting a legal case against this company tomorrow.

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Wheeler1119] #7664841 11/17/19 11:57 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Wheeler1119
Asked this guy about lodging multiple times and he would not give me an address. He wanted me to meet him in town and follow him out to the property. Extremely sketchy setup. Tried to get deposit back and he refused anything but 50%. I do not advise this group to anyone. Not very informative. We are starting a legal case against this company tomorrow.
Unless your deposit was very large starting a legal case is going to cost more than what you would get back with half of the deposit. Unless I am missing something why even attempt it?

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Wheeler1119] #7668007 11/20/19 09:12 PM
Adchunts Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Wheeler1119

I don't know that the address part would concern me too much. We met our outfitter in Sonora (WTHO) at the taxidermy shop in town and followed him to the ranch. I could see why after we got there. No way we would have found the place ourselves. And, if the outfitter works with several ranches in the area, they may not know exactly which ranch you will be at yet. I am all for doing your homework (as mentioned in my post above), but I might give them the benefit of the doubt unless there are other red flags.

Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: Dnk_usaf] #7668052 11/20/19 09:50 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I've never met an outfitter at the ranch, always in town where it is easy to find. Also, outfitters work on ranches owned by others. Giving out the address opens that ranch up to you showing up 4 hours early and knocking on doors. Really not that big of a deal that he wanted to meet you in town. I know nothing about this outfitter good or bad just my two cents about meeting in Sonora.

Last edited by krmitchell; 11/20/19 09:51 PM.
Re: Any experience with Southwest Trophy Hunting? [Re: krmitchell] #7676721 12/01/19 12:27 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Giving out the address opens that ranch up to you showing up 4 hours early and knocking on doors.

This so true. When we met hunters at airport or in town, they were always there. When meeting at the ranch, some were way too early and others got there late enough not to be able to hunt the 1st evening.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide