Print Thread
OOPS.....sorry little fella. #7550562 07/07/19 07:01 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Just got back last night from a little 4 day vacation. Grass in the yard and also down around my shop were definitely in need of mowing.

Didn't see this little guy when mowing along the fence line by the pasture. Spotted him on my return pass.

I would have avoided him had I seen him. He wasn't up around the house or by my shop, so no worry.

I know some here would say 'good riddance', but they serve a good purpose (where this one was located). An unfortunate accident.

Attached Files OOPS.jpg

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550629 07/07/19 09:14 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Oh well I'm sure you missed the other one.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550698 07/07/19 11:04 PM
T
texasdude28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
More will almost certainly show up

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: texasdude28] #7550918 07/08/19 04:02 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by texasdude28
More will almost certainly show up

Normally I keep the grass short enough that I can easily see them. But I've been out of town 4 days and I couldn't mow before I left...because of rain. So the grass was MUCH taller than normal.

Never saw the little bugger.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550947 07/08/19 05:44 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
No Sorry!

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550979 07/08/19 11:42 AM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
I kill them anywhere I see them

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551030 07/08/19 12:53 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
We appreciate your service - 1 less.... clap

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: pertnear] #7551190 07/08/19 04:22 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by pertnear

Ahhhh...come on guys. frown

They don't get a 'pass' if they come up around the house or my shop, but any that are out in the woods (or in this case right at the edge of the pasture) aren't any threat to me.

They play a needed role in the ecosystem and should be left alone (IMO) in most cases. With as many Feral Hogs as we have around here...I'm surprised there are many snakes left.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551629 07/08/19 11:47 PM
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Get bit by one, then check back!

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: pnh] #7551657 07/09/19 12:11 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by pnh

Not quite sure how killing every venomous snake I see would keep me from being bitten?

I've lived around snakes most of my 65 years, handled hundreds of them and have yet to be bitten (venomous snake).

Of course, I exercise caution in areas where I expect snakes to be and I am careful when handling them.

I had a Chocolate Lab that couldn't seem to leave them alone and was bitten on 3 different occasions.

My Daughter's Dachshund was bitten on the paw once. Still.....I believe most snakes do more good than harm.

I give them no quarter IF they get up around my house or shop area. I keep my lawn looking like a golf course normally and don't have things stacked up or laying around that would attract mice (food source).

There is a minimum 'buffer' (short mowed grass) of 75 yds. between the house and the closest pasture, so no reason for snakes to be out on the lawn. Once in a while it happens and those snakes (venomous) are immediately dispatched.

But why would I kill a Copperhead/other on my property...a full mile from my dwelling? Just because I can? Not gonna do it. If they don't pose a threat...no logical reason I can see to kill them.

Attached Files Otis_Snake_Bite_3.jpgOtis_Snake_Bite_2.jpg
Last edited by flintknapper; 07/09/19 12:12 AM.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551712 07/09/19 12:50 AM
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I see your point, hope you see mine.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: pnh] #7551799 07/09/19 02:10 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by pnh
I see your point, hope you see mine.

I do. Friend of mine at work (20 yrs. ago) was reaching down into the covered water meter on his property to brush away some leaves in order to read the meter.

He DID look down first but didn't check the backside of it (nearest to him). You know what happened next.

His bite (Southern Copperhead) was to the fleshy part of the palm just below his thumb. Both fangs, pretty good envenomation.

He did not think (initially) that he should seek medical attention. But in the next 36 hrs. the swelling had traveled up to his elbow. The area immediately around the bite looked like a giant bruise (purple, yellow, red). By the time he went to the hospital..there wasn't much they could do except give antihistamine and antibiotic.

He went around work the next two weeks with hand raised above his head like he knew the answer to some question being asked. We teased him mercilessly. smile

I'm pretty sure Mr. Hawkins has killed every snake he's come across since then. But probably more to even the score than to prevent being bitten again.

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/09/19 02:12 AM.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551817 07/09/19 02:26 AM
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I understand. I got bit when I was a kid. Had a terrible time with it. I'm still holding a grudge.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7552683 07/10/19 12:39 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by pertnear

Ahhhh...come on guys. frown

They don't get a 'pass' if they come up around the house or my shop, but any that are out in the woods (or in this case right at the edge of the pasture) aren't any threat to me.

They play a needed role in the ecosystem and should be left alone (IMO) in most cases. With as many Feral Hogs as we have around here...I'm surprised there are many snakes left.

Kingsnake food...#1 role grin

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7552717 07/10/19 01:26 AM
F
fredeboy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by pnh

Not quite sure how killing every venomous snake I see would keep me from being bitten?

I've lived around snakes most of my 65 years, handled hundreds of them and have yet to be bitten (venomous snake).

Of course, I exercise caution in areas where I expect snakes to be and I am careful when handling them.

I had a Chocolate Lab that couldn't seem to leave them alone and was bitten on 3 different occasions.

My Daughter's Dachshund was bitten on the paw once. Still.....I believe most snakes do more good than harm.

I give them no quarter IF they get up around my house or shop area. I keep my lawn looking like a golf course normally and don't have things stacked up or laying around that would attract mice (food source).

There is a minimum 'buffer' (short mowed grass) of 75 yds. between the house and the closest pasture, so no reason for snakes to be out on the lawn. Once in a while it happens and those snakes (venomous) are immediately dispatched.

But why would I kill a Copperhead/other on my property...a full mile from my dwelling? Just because I can? Not gonna do it. If they don't pose a threat...no logical reason I can see to kill them.

CUTE PUP

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: fredeboy] #7552841 07/10/19 04:05 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by fredeboy
Originally Posted by pnh

CUTE PUP

He's a hoot.

We have 4 Dachshunds (3 longhair) (One short hair).

Attached Files Otis_frog_killer.jpg

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide