Forums46
Topics537,029
Posts9,719,585
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552242 07/09/19 04:36 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
although the 25-06 would probably be plenty of gun with the right bullet, I would call the outfitter first before hauling it since they said 30 caliber ... Good luck on your hunt.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552334 07/09/19 06:36 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Take the 300. If travel/air case room, then take the 25.06 as back-up. You are going first class at The Legend which should have transportation close to your stand (and your guide can carry the 300 for you, lol) . Looking forward to pics and I bet you can't wait to see what 25 year anniversary present is gonna be.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552561 07/09/19 10:23 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Look here for a sling, no stud needed:

https://www.accu-riser.com/products/Universal-Sling.html

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552562 07/09/19 10:28 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
If I was paying an outfitter to go hunting, I would call and visit with him. You are paying him for his knowledge and expertise.

Kind of dumb to show up with a caliber he does not recommend and start off on the wrong foot.

Some places you draw blood, the cost is on you..

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552603 07/09/19 11:10 PM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Talking to the outfitter is probably the best advice so far. That being said our deer are the same size and i have personally killed a number of deer pushing 300 lbs and know of lots others. Lots of us hunt with a .243, 257 Roberts, 260 Rem and the 25-06. Plenty of gun for a whitetail - they are thin skinned, light boned and easy to kill - even in the 300 lb editions. Just choose a good bullet - myself i'm partial to 125 grain partitions in my 260 Rem - what i consider the best deer hunting cartridge and bullet for any size whitetail.

Last edited by Hirogen; 07/09/19 11:14 PM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552615 07/09/19 11:23 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by StephensCnty308
Here is my 300 win mag it was built on a Manners stock , hart barrel and Stiller action. I built it as a target/hunting rifle hence the 24” barrel
It’s not as heft as it looks as the nightforce scope isn’t light in weight however I don’t see myself hiking a mile or two up there. Only problem is I don’t have a rear sling stud on the rifle so adding a sling isn’t as easy as most.

This rifle kicks like a kitten as the stock soaks up the recoil.

As for the comments of giving back to the wife...
That’s in the works.
The funny part about it is she is looking forward to this as well because as he says you will be out hunting and I will be relaxing by far enjoying the scenery .
I don’t know who’s looking more forward to this her or myself .

Yes I will most certainly take pictures and post them.

I plan to pick which category deer in stand. I’m not wanting something insanely crazy looking.
I am wanting a huge symmetrical deer with possibly a droptine or something cool.

Thank you all for your responses. It’s helped a lot

[Linked Image]

Sounds like you already know the answer. If you just wanted to brag about your wife buying a nice hunt for you, why didn’t you just do that. If I had a rifle like the one pictured and was comfortable shooting it that’s what I’d take since it was recommended. It sounded like you were used to the 25-06 and wanted to use that in the original post.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: scalebuster] #7552656 07/10/19 12:16 AM
S
StephensCnty308 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by StephensCnty308
Here is my 300 win mag it was built on a Manners stock , hart barrel and Stiller action. I built it as a target/hunting rifle hence the 24” barrel
It’s not as heft as it looks as the nightforce scope isn’t light in weight however I don’t see myself hiking a mile or two up there. Only problem is I don’t have a rear sling stud on the rifle so adding a sling isn’t as easy as most.

This rifle kicks like a kitten as the stock soaks up the recoil.

As for the comments of giving back to the wife...
That’s in the works.
The funny part about it is she is looking forward to this as well because as he says you will be out hunting and I will be relaxing by far enjoying the scenery .
I don’t know who’s looking more forward to this her or myself .

Yes I will most certainly take pictures and post them.

I plan to pick which category deer in stand. I’m not wanting something insanely crazy looking.
I am wanting a huge symmetrical deer with possibly a droptine or something cool.

Thank you all for your responses. It’s helped a lot

[Linked Image]

Sounds like you already know the answer. If you just wanted to brag about your wife buying a nice hunt for you, why didn’t you just do that. If I had a rifle like the one pictured and was comfortable shooting it that’s what I’d take since it was recommended. It sounded like you were used to the 25-06 and wanted to use that in the original post.

I use the 25-06 as it holds a special place in my heart as my grandfather gave it to me and it does not demolish meat
! In Texas our deer as you know are like dogs as in there size and I’ve lost meat using my 300 shooting a south Tx deer.
I shoot the win mag just as good if not a little better as it’s custom built and made for targets ( it’s a tack driver ) but weighs a little you might say.
The 25-06 is an ultra light!

I’m sorry but I’m not trying to brag about legends I figured by saying I’m going to a high fence in Michigan I would say where as someone is bound to ask.
I was basically hoping someone who had hunted up north in that area where I’m going would chime in and
Say in my opinion this would be better.

I’ve talked to Robert and he would rather have a 30 caliber bullet but told me to bring whatever I’m comfortable with .

Just curious what folks would say and what there opinion was.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552662 07/10/19 12:22 AM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Thank you to everyone else for your response!!!!!
I’m probably going to give Robert A call see how far we will be walking from the truck to the blind .

Sounds like the extra knockdown power is going to be needed.
I have no idea how big these deer are going to be that’s why I was asking !

Until then I’m going to keep on shooting And counting down

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552687 07/10/19 12:47 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I never for once took that you were bragging about your wife buying you this trip - my guess is a lot of folks are jealous. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and you should both enjoy every minute of it - what a great trip to look forward to

You can't fix stupid
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: tlk] #7552723 07/10/19 01:34 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk
I never for once took that you were bragging about your wife buying you this trip - my guess is a lot of folks are jealous. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and you should both enjoy every minute of it - what a great trip to look forward to

Agreed....this thread was not a braggart threat at all.

I thought it was a legitimate question.

But if I was in your shoes ( I would not mind going on a hunt at Legends and am interested in hearing about your experience as that place does interest me ) I would bring a gun that is bigger than a .25-06. I know a few guys who hunt with a .25-06 and I believe its certainly adequate for whitetail, but if you shoot the .300 just as well, hedge your bets and shoot that.

If/When I go to Legends, I would err to the side of caution and shoot my .300 over my .257 wby or .270 win, even though I've killed Aoudad and Elk with my .257, which are infinitely tougher than any whitetail deer on earth, because I have confidence in the bigger caliber.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: scalebuster] #7552734 07/10/19 01:43 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
If you can’t kill a deer with a 25-06 you need to take up a new sport.

Scalebuster-come on. Not at all trying to pick a fight here but "take up a new sport".... To play nice I wont say you are wrong but instead ill just offer my opinion. $10000 to hunt a 300# deer that will score into the 200s is a once in a lifetime hunt for him I assume. Considering that, he gets a quartering shot, at whatever range, in very thick cover and has a split second to shoot or not then I say BIGGER IS BETTER(if you can shoot it well) and don't feel like you need to take up a new sport if you leave the 2506 in camp. Just my 2cents.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552738 07/10/19 01:46 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I guess some people can find fault in anything. At least you didnt get your panties in a wad. I lost count how many times i let someone get the best of me on the internet in just the last week or two. A man ought not be emotional over shenanigans on the web.

Congrats again!

Last edited by regularguy11B; 07/10/19 01:47 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: tlk] #7552739 07/10/19 01:49 AM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by tlk

Originally Posted by tlk

The way she is looking at it is for our 10 year anniversary she gets the lay back by the fireplace and relax and get a massage and eat great food.
Me I get to hunt.

We have a 7 year old son so to her she is getting away to relax.
In all honesty the more I looked into it I see why people raved about it so much because it’s so much more than just killing a deer.

It should be fun ( plus I get to hunt in snow ) new to me

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: freerange] #7552744 07/10/19 01:55 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by freerange
If you can’t kill a deer with a 25-06 you need to take up a new sport.

Scalebuster-come on. Not at all trying to pick a fight here but "take up a new sport".... To play nice I wont say you are wrong but instead ill just offer my opinion. $10000 to hunt a 300# deer that will score into the 200s is a once in a lifetime hunt for him I assume. Considering that, he gets a quartering shot, at whatever range, in very thick cover and has a split second to shoot or not then I say BIGGER IS BETTER(if you can shoot it well) and don't feel like you need to take up a new sport if you leave the 2506 in camp. Just my 2cents.

You’re right. The post was over the top. I’d take the 300 too.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552746 07/10/19 01:56 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
[Linked Image]
I can't imagine a 25-06 with the right bullet not dropping a 300 lb whitetail if you put it where I have marked "my aim point". Sounds like you have more confidence with it, and that means more than anything that we can tell you.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7552844 07/10/19 04:28 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
[Linked Image]
I can't imagine a 25-06 with the right bullet not dropping a 300 lb whitetail if you put it where I have marked "my aim point". Sounds like you have more confidence with it, and that means more than anything that we can tell you.

That’s a lung shot.

The deer you just shot right there may run 20 yards or 150 yards.

Most of the whitetail I’ve shot with a .270 in the lungs have not made it far by any measure... however in thick brush even 50 yards seems like a long way and I prefer not to have to track even a profusely bleeding deer in heavy brush. Tracking a deer period for me is nerve wracking.

I don’t think anyone here in this thread has doubted a .25-06 will kill a big bodied deer.

I think what most are trying to convey, it’s a big money hunt for a trophy deer, so why risk using a smaller caliber if you don’t have to? The little extra horsepower of a .300 is cheap insurance.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552848 07/10/19 04:46 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Here is my take.

The 25-06 is more than adequate for a whitetail, whether it is 120 lbs or 300 lbs. If you shoot one in the lungs with a fast 30 cal or a fast 25 cal, it is probably going to go 10-100 yards and pile up. If you hit one high shoulder with either, it will drop right there. If you shoot one in the guts with either, it will run forever and then die. For those of you who think that if you make a marginal shot with a 300 you will still get a clean kill, you are deluding yourselves.

I have seen a ton of Midwest whitetails killed with .243s, including some really big bodied deer, so please don't tell me that the .300 Win kills "better" on bigger deer, because it just ain't true.

As far as having it run off, Legends is high-fenced, so it ain't leaving the property. Also, your guide is getting paid to drag it out and take care of it, so as long as you don't wound it, it will be found and taken care of.

Use the 25-06 and be happy with the hunt.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: txtrophy85] #7552869 07/10/19 10:16 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
[Linked Image]

That’s a lung shot.

The deer you just shot right there may run 20 yards or 150 yards.

Most of the whitetail I’ve shot with a .270 in the lungs have not made it far by any measure... however in thick brush even 50 yards seems like a long way and I prefer not to have to track even a profusely bleeding deer in heavy brush. Tracking a deer period for me is nerve wracking.

I don’t think anyone here in this thread has doubted a .25-06 will kill a big bodied deer.

I think what most are trying to convey, it’s a big money hunt for a trophy deer, so why risk using a smaller caliber if you don’t have to? The little extra horsepower of a .300 is cheap insurance.

Wrong. It's high shoulder. You take out the nervous system and impose shock to the entire circulatory system at the same time. The deer I shoot in this spot deer fold up and are dead on their feet. You're putting a bullet and creating a wound channel that hits the spinal cord and main artery at the same time. Where do you recommend shot placement?

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552896 07/10/19 11:41 AM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Hunted in Alberta for whitetail and mule deer. I brought a 300 Win Mag. There was a huge difference in size between whitetail and mule deer from a body perspective.

I shot my whitetail just under 500 yards and he dropped like a ton of bricks.

My mule deer refused to die. After a very long stalk and popping up just over him, I shot him in the lungs at less than 20 yards. He tumbled down the mountain and was torn up more from the deadfall, got up and ran several hundred yards. He bedded down. Found him and he was still alive. Shot him in the lungs, again, at less than 10 yards. Gave him a few minutes and he still was not dead. Shot him point blank in the chest and he still took another minute to finally perish.

The moral of the story is this: animals will die when they die. Every animal has a different level of will to live. Using a magnum does not necessarily equate to a faster death.

The mule deer was very heavy bodied but no where near 300 pounds.
[Linked Image]

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552911 07/10/19 12:03 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have shot my 2 biggest Mule Deer with 130gr. 270. Neither took more than a few steps before the DRT.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7552916 07/10/19 12:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I have shot my 2 biggest Mule Deer with 130gr. 270. Neither took more than a few steps before the DRT.

What bullet, and shot placement? I'm going out on a limb and betting it wasn't a lung shot, nor was it inside 20 yards with no chance for your bullet to expand.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7552922 07/10/19 12:24 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
Hunted in Alberta for whitetail and mule deer. I brought a 300 Win Mag. There was a huge difference in size between whitetail and mule deer from a body perspective.

I shot my whitetail just under 500 yards and he dropped like a ton of bricks.

My mule deer refused to die. After a very long stalk and popping up just over him, I shot him in the lungs at less than 20 yards. He tumbled down the mountain and was torn up more from the deadfall, got up and ran several hundred yards. He bedded down. Found him and he was still alive. Shot him in the lungs, again, at less than 10 yards. Gave him a few minutes and he still was not dead. Shot him point blank in the chest and he still took another minute to finally perish.

The moral of the story is this: animals will die when they die. Every animal has a different level of will to live. Using a magnum does not necessarily equate to a faster death.

The mule deer was very heavy bodied but no where near 300 pounds.
[Linked Image]

Do you have any other pic's of that big bodied mule deer? You're right about one thing, "magnum" alone means nothing without shot placement and the right bullet. At those very short distances it is likely that your bullet didn't open up and you punched small Ø holes in his lungs. Your whitetail that dropped at 500, what was shot placement? OP had a question, and my response was to make the point was to put emphasis on shot placement.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: StephensCnty308] #7552936 07/10/19 12:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
These are my shot placement preferences. I have taken these shots with a .223, 6mm, .270 and a few with the .280. All with Remington ammo except the .280 is with Federal Premium. The slightly quartering to me angle is my preferred placement. The back legs drop out from under the deer and after they hit the ground, they never move again. I have been using all three of these shots since 1991.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: stxranchman] #7552940 07/10/19 12:57 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by stxranchman
These are my shot placement preferences. I have taken these shots with a .223, 6mm, .270 and a few with the .280. All with Remington ammo except the .280 is with Federal Premium. The slightly quartering to me angle is my preferred placement. The back legs drop out from under the deer and after they hit the ground, they never move again.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That'll work. You hit the shoulder blade, the bone fragments become projectiles and you're taking out two systems, central nervous and circulatory. It's not internal bleeding that kills them, but the shock to the entire circulatory system that shuts them down on their feet.
Kinda like stomping on a water hose, but with a truck. Not to mention the shock to the brain when you hit the spinal cord.

Re: Gun selection for Michigan high fence ... your thoughts ????? [Re: stxranchman] #7552942 07/10/19 12:58 PM
S
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman
These are my shot placement preferences. I have taken these shots with a .223, 6mm, .270 and a few with the .280. All with Remington ammo except the .280 is with Federal Premium. The slightly quartering to me angle is my preferred placement. The back legs drop out from under the deer and after they hit the ground, they never move again.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hit a buck there the year before last hunting on a buddies family land down in Dilley.
It was not a shot I chose however he jerked and that’s where the bullet and you’re right his legs buckled and he laid there twitching for maybe a minute.

I have honestly thought about taking that shot again however I’ve never been a gambling person and stick to heart/lungs.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide