Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: dogcatcher] #7551917 07/09/19 10:22 AM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
It is a 100 degrees, do you want to spend an gathering up your stuff to change the oil, or go to the dealership and spend a few dollars? I would rather sit inside in the AC. Self satisfaction? That 72 degrees inside says screw that mowing the lawn, the kid can use that $40, I would rather be inside enjoying the AC.

One of these days you will look back and say, damn I missed the good times because I was always working or fixing something.

Yes, I personally would. Wake up early and get it done when it’s cool and beat the heat. My dad and grandfather always did that when things needed to be done. I hate going to the dealership to sit and wait when I could gather the stuff and do it myself and not have to deal with someone trying to scam me and sell me useless services or products. Also, I know it actually got done and got done right. The shop has a fan and I have a vending machine full of cold water and beer if I’d like. It doesn’t take long to change oil and the way I see it is that sitting at the dealership is a waste of my time.

I’ll never feel I missed out on good times because of it. Some of the best times in my life involved working with dad and grandpa fixing stuff. It wasn’t always fun but I i still enjoyed it, and we also had a lot of laughs in the process. Great memories I’ll never forget and skills learned along the way.

Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Espy] #7552035 07/09/19 01:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Espy
Originally Posted by DeRico
Originally Posted by Payne
The boomers, also known as the me generation, has the highest divorce rate. The millennials are a generation raised by women, that's what happened imo.

The most sense in this thread!

up

Yes, the number of young men who grew up without a man in the house has played a role. Still, I watched two boys grow up next door with both parents and seldom saw either of them mow the yard. As others have pointed out, electronics have made it easier for parents to keep their kids occupied. Parents from my generation gave their kids work to keep them occupied. "Idle hands are the devil's workshop" was one of my mom's favorite sayings.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/09/19 01:50 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552054 07/09/19 01:59 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

The Emasculation of the American Male is a real thing

Yep

Anyone else noticed how "wimpy man" television commercials are becoming much more common these days, the ones that show the wife as wearing the pants in the family?

Where do you stand with husbands refer to their wife as the "boss"?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552062 07/09/19 02:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I know many a men that will refer to their better half as the "boss" I don't think it has anything to do with it.

I believe a good woman brings a lot to the household, I know my dad would be a lot worse off without my mother.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552085 07/09/19 02:15 PM
S
snoopy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

The Emasculation of the American Male is a real thing

Yep

Anyone else noticed how "wimpy man" television commercials are becoming much more common these days, the ones that show the wife as wearing the pants in the family?

I believe it started in the late 80s running throughout the 90s and 2000s when the man-child, dunce male character comedies and movies seemed to become popular. That appeared to be Will Ferrell's stock-in-trade. Lots of females matured during this period and I think picked up some of these silly notions. It's bitten guys in the butt, especially the younger ones trying to find a good woman. I've seen guys be far too tolerant about how their wives and even kids speak to them.

Last edited by snoopy; 07/09/19 02:17 PM.
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: redchevy] #7552231 07/09/19 04:22 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I will admit this though. These days, I find more and more often, even though I could do the job myself, the amount of money that I could make doing my regular job in the time it takes me to do a project, it is often times better for me to just pay someone else to do the project.

While true, it seems irrelevant unless your taking vacation time to do the project.

As I am self employed, and work from home, any time I do a project is time off of work.

Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552234 07/09/19 04:28 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I saw a guy a while back changing the tire on his BMW on a pretty good incline. He was shocked that it had fallen off the jack.

True story, long time ago I went to pick up my kid. The ex was calling a repairman out to put two boards back on the wood fence. I had to ask why. She said new hubby couldn’t do it.

Did I mention it was same guy in both instances.

Proverbs 2
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: redchevy] #7552235 07/09/19 04:29 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
I know many a men that will refer to their better half as the "boss" I don't think it has anything to do with it.

I believe a good woman brings a lot to the household, I know my dad would be a lot worse off without my mother.

I refer to my wife as “the boss” jokingly and because it annoys her. She is bossy, but she doesn’t make all of the decisions.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552245 07/09/19 04:38 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
But it is not all bad. For us guys from a different age it is amazing what women must live with today. Most of my career I worked with a lot of women, mostly women, and when anything would go wrong, break, or need fixing, I would say give me a minute and let me get some tools. Let me tell ya a woman seeing a man doing manly things in slacks and tie. Well it ain’t all bad. Can’t tell ya how many times I heard, my husband/boyfriend can’t do this kind of stuff. smile

Proverbs 2
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Sniper.270] #7552259 07/09/19 04:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
But it is not all bad. For us guys from a different age it is amazing what women must live with today. Most of my career I worked with a lot of women, mostly women, and when anything would go wrong, break, or need fixing, I would say give me a minute and let me get some tools. Let me tell ya a woman seeing a man doing manly things in slacks and tie. Well it ain’t all bad. Can’t tell ya how many times I heard, my husband/boyfriend can’t do this kind of stuff. smile

What women want most in a man is the sense of security. They don't get that when the guy has to call someone to do everything around the house. Also, when it's a case where the guy has plenty of money to pay for such things, all too often the woman's security isn't with the guy himself but with his money.

Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552269 07/09/19 05:03 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sniper.270

What women want most in a man is the sense of security. They don't get that when the guy has to call someone to do everything around the house. Also, when it's a case where the guy has plenty of money to pay for such things, the woman's security isn't with the guy himself but with his money.

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552347 07/09/19 06:45 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Different woman want different things ask them they will tell you. The tuff job is finding the right one that wants what you got.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: PMK] #7552380 07/09/19 07:22 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by PMK

the older I get, the more I realize just how valuable my time is to spend on doing more things that I want to do instead of doing things that I have to do ... I still could, but choose not too.

This.

Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: DocHorton] #7552384 07/09/19 07:24 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by PMK

the older I get, the more I realize just how valuable my time is to spend on doing more things that I want to do instead of doing things that I have to do ... I still could, but choose not too.

This.

That is exactly what I call retirement.

Re: How did we let this happen? [Re: Texas Dan] #7552554 07/09/19 10:17 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Things change over time. Priorities change. How many of you could hitch up a team of mules and go plowing? Or cut railroad ties with a broad ax?

Although fixing your own stuff is really handy. But the change in family dynamics has really affected what ya'll are talking about.

To be determined
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide