Print Thread
TP&W Draw Hunts Questions #7550454 07/07/19 04:21 PM
W
waveone Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Apologies if these questions have been covered.

Is a Type ll permit required before purchasing an opportunity for a drawn hunt? In other words, is the gate fee required in order to apply?

Are loyalty points really applied or is it simply a marketing tool?

I've never applied so this will be my first. What are the odds of drawing on a hunt the first time?

Anyone on the forum been drawn the first time?

Thanks

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7550543 07/07/19 06:37 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Is a Type ll permit required before purchasing an opportunity for a drawn hunt? In other words, is the gate fee required in order to apply?

It is called the Annual Public Hunting Permit now and no it is not required for the drawn hunts. If you get the APH Permit they send you a book of public land areas you can hunt with only the permit required.

The confusion comes from the E-Postcard Selection Hunts available to apply through the drawn hunts. The hunts in the E-Postcard category do require you to have the APH Permit to be able to apply for those. The E-Postcard hunts in the past used to be listed in the back of the APH book and one had to physically send a postcard to apply for those hunts.

Are loyalty points really applied or is it simply a marketing tool?

Yes, but they are not "weighted points". Each point only gives you another drop in the hat so to speak. So there is no guarantee that you would ever draw a hunt as long as there are more applicants/loyalty points than spots to fill

I've never applied so this will be my first. What are the odds of drawing on a hunt the first time?

Depends on how many people and how many loyalty points are in that hunts draw. Think of the draw as a raffle. Loyalty points are basically raffle tickets.

Anyone on the forum been drawn the first time?

Sure, but look at last years odds for each hunt your considering. Some hunt choices and days barely get enough applicants to fill all the spots. Some hunt choices get several thousand applicants many having several loyalty points. The former choice, you have really good odds of getting drawn. The latter, even the guy with 25 loyalty points is not likely to get drawn. But yes the guy with only one point could draw either if lucky enough.

Thanks

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7550795 07/08/19 01:32 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I think sniper john nailed it!

My first year I applied for like 12 hunts and didnt win anything

my 2nd year I applied for 23 and won 1 Inks lake {deer antlerless}

Last year I applied for 34 and won 1 Chapparal {Javalina}

So far this year I have applied for 24 and have a few more to look at.

GO TRUMP!
Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: Bigfoot] #7550826 07/08/19 02:13 AM
W
waveone Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
I think sniper john nailed it!

My first year I applied for like 12 hunts and didnt win anything

my 2nd year I applied for 23 and won 1 Inks lake {deer antlerless}

Last year I applied for 34 and won 1 Chapparal {Javalina}

So far this year I have applied for 24 and have a few more to look at.

I think you're right. Thank you sniper john, very thorough answer.

Thank you Bigfoot- great anecdotal. At least some of you fellas a drawing something. That's encouraging.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7550843 07/08/19 02:26 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
You can’t win if you don’t apply! Almost every year I draw something. It may be a postcard duck hunt or it might be the pronghorn at Rita Blanca (drew it with 9 points and my nephew 0). Always have a good time going on the hunts and appreciate the opportunity to hunt new ground.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7551071 07/08/19 01:28 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Sniper John absolutely nailed the answer.

It is possible to get drawn the first year, as my brother and I were drawn for a hunt our first year applying. That being said, we have several years where we get a goose egg. I look at it as a cheap way to gamble for an opportunity to hunt. We usually apply for 10-15 hunts per year, so it isn't terribly expensive at $3 a chance.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7551405 07/08/19 08:24 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Well, the long drawn out event has come to a close, following the release of the Drawn Hunt Catalog. Schedules have been checked and checked again, any conflicts eliminated or the unfortunate person told to suck it up, the ruts are matched up to hunt dates if possible, and we read and re-read the last few years of hunt reports, and finally, looked at the TPWD Dept. list of PDF files for success (or lack of it) for last couple of years.

Managed to put together a list of about 20 hunts total for my partners, my wife, and I. The odds line up as 100:1, or 500:1, or even 1000:1, but what's a guy to do that loves to hunt. Good luck to all who have applied or still plan to, may you be the lucky one for that all time greatest hit list hunt.

Come September we will have new hunting and fishing licenses, and be back down with friends. Popping a shrimp on a cork, praying for a breeze out on Matagorda Bay, and probably swatting a mosquito or two on the salt marsh. Good luck to everyone this year.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: Blank] #7551499 07/08/19 09:49 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Blank
Good luck to everyone this year.
. Same to you Blank! Got mine in as well. Let me know if you happen to draw an aoudad tag at Palo Duro again. up

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: Blank] #7551565 07/08/19 10:39 PM
W
waveone Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by Blank
Well, the long drawn out event has come to a close, following the release of the Drawn Hunt Catalog. Schedules have been checked and checked again, any conflicts eliminated or the unfortunate person told to suck it up, the ruts are matched up to hunt dates if possible, and we read and re-read the last few years of hunt reports, and finally, looked at the TPWD Dept. list of PDF files for success (or lack of it) for last couple of years.

Managed to put together a list of about 20 hunts total for my partners, my wife, and I. The odds line up as 100:1, or 500:1, or even 1000:1, but what's a guy to do that loves to hunt. Good luck to all who have applied or still plan to, may you be the lucky one for that all time greatest hit list hunt.

Come September we will have new hunting and fishing licenses, and be back down with friends. Popping a shrimp on a cork, praying for a breeze out on Matagorda Bay, and probably swatting a mosquito or two on the salt marsh. Good luck to everyone this year.

Great summation and attitude. Typical for hunters, fisherman too for that matter.

Love the Fall Hunting Season and the camaraderie with hunters in general. (now I just need to find a new lease LOL)

Best of Luck to All who put in.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7551567 07/08/19 10:44 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
DK: Good luck to you also. It has been 8 years since we got to hunt the Palo Duro. Can't wait to get back, hope we are close. I'm sure some things have changed, but from talking to other hunters we have helped, a lot is the same. Will let you know for sure, if we draw. I'll still be drooling over your mule deer and taking their pics, as we drive thru!!!

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7552285 07/09/19 05:32 PM
T
Team C Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I have been putting in and doing the draw hunts for 7 to 8 years now since right before it went to online it use to be paper mail in entries only. I have entered my kids since they were young and friends and family also. It seems like there is always a little beginners luck but without good points it is tough. its all luck other than points I have won archery chaparral gun mule deer matador either sex James Daughtry and Colorado bend Alligator JD Murphy Gus Engeling and many more. I suggest taking a kid hunting. they limited kids last year to entering only 3 hunts per category so I feel less entries for the diamond in the rough hunts look for those. if your looking for the best hunts research and wait its going to take years of points, if you win research and wait, if you just want to win some hunts enter a lot of hunts that others don't and be ready or like me do a little of all of the above but Sniper John nailed your question but i hope this helps you as well. I have had a ton of fun and give it to TPWD for the time of my life great agency.

Last edited by Team C; 07/09/19 05:42 PM.
Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7552326 07/09/19 06:26 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I have been entering with a few buddies for a few years now on some of the hunts, does the group loyalty points give you more tickets in the hat?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7552377 07/09/19 07:20 PM
P
pkhunter624 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I have been entering with a few buddies for a few years now on some of the hunts, does the group loyalty points give you more tickets in the hat?

No they will add up the points for each member of your group then get a average and that's how many points your group will have.

IMHO the point system is a joke.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7552642 07/09/19 11:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I like the current system, you always have a chance. Point creep is nasty when you get into a true PP system.

Only thing I would change is limit picks per species to maybe two tops. Open up more chances from year to year.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7554745 07/12/19 05:08 PM
T
tdwinklr Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I've been drawn several times on individual hunts and my sons were drawn 2 or 3 times for youth hunts.
We always had good time.

Re: TP&W Draw Hunts Questions [Re: waveone] #7556032 07/14/19 05:41 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Last season was the first time I purchased tickets and I was drawn for Bastrop SP.
Maybe I was lucky, or maybe I was chosen so that I can go and buy more tickets the following season.

Either way, I had a great time and already purchasing tickets for this coming season.

Good luck to y’all

God Bless Texas
texas

Arsenal:
Savage Axis II - 30-06
Stoeger P350 - 12 Gauge
Diamond Edge SB-1 - Compound Bow
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide