texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
BTatum83, franman, CCoile05, SMC46, thasenei
66071 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 95,352
bill oxner 59,931
stxranchman 55,381
SnakeWrangler 48,638
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,446
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics442,215
Posts6,416,205
Members66,071
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
OOPS.....sorry little fella. #7550562 07/07/19 07:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
F
flintknapper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
Just got back last night from a little 4 day vacation. Grass in the yard and also down around my shop were definitely in need of mowing.

Didn't see this little guy when mowing along the fence line by the pasture. Spotted him on my return pass.

I would have avoided him had I seen him. He wasn't up around the house or by my shop, so no worry.

I know some here would say 'good riddance', but they serve a good purpose (where this one was located). An unfortunate accident.

Attached Files OOPS.jpg

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550629 07/07/19 09:14 PM
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 3,141
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 3,141
Oh well I'm sure you missed the other one.

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550698 07/07/19 11:04 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,230
T
texasdude28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,230
More will almost certainly show up

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: texasdude28] #7550918 07/08/19 04:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
F
flintknapper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by texasdude28
More will almost certainly show up


Normally I keep the grass short enough that I can easily see them. But I've been out of town 4 days and I couldn't mow before I left...because of rain. So the grass was MUCH taller than normal.

Never saw the little bugger.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550947 07/08/19 05:44 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 37,920
N
NORML as can be Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 37,920
No Sorry!


.------- " Keep America Great! "
.-------
ACB CURLF CGC ACRGF GWPH VFF CRLBF







Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7550979 07/08/19 11:42 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,185
T
TEXASLEFTY Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,185
I kill them anywhere I see them


Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551030 07/08/19 12:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 985
P
pertnear Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
P
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 985
We appreciate your service - 1 less.... clap


Visit my fictional blog "The dr Chronicles" about a laid-back Texan named dr - Enjoy!

http://www.thedrchronicles.com


Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: pertnear] #7551190 07/08/19 04:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
F
flintknapper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by pertnear
We appreciate your service - 1 less.... clap


Ahhhh...come on guys. frown

They don't get a 'pass' if they come up around the house or my shop, but any that are out in the woods (or in this case right at the edge of the pasture) aren't any threat to me.

They play a needed role in the ecosystem and should be left alone (IMO) in most cases. With as many Feral Hogs as we have around here...I'm surprised there are many snakes left.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551629 07/08/19 11:47 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,529
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,529
Get bit by one, then check back!


Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: pnh] #7551657 07/09/19 12:11 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
F
flintknapper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by pnh
Get bit by one, then check back!


Not quite sure how killing every venomous snake I see would keep me from being bitten?

I've lived around snakes most of my 65 years, handled hundreds of them and have yet to be bitten (venomous snake).

Of course, I exercise caution in areas where I expect snakes to be and I am careful when handling them.

I had a Chocolate Lab that couldn't seem to leave them alone and was bitten on 3 different occasions.

My Daughter's Dachshund was bitten on the paw once. Still.....I believe most snakes do more good than harm.

I give them no quarter IF they get up around my house or shop area. I keep my lawn looking like a golf course normally and don't have things stacked up or laying around that would attract mice (food source).

There is a minimum 'buffer' (short mowed grass) of 75 yds. between the house and the closest pasture, so no reason for snakes to be out on the lawn. Once in a while it happens and those snakes (venomous) are immediately dispatched.

But why would I kill a Copperhead/other on my property...a full mile from my dwelling? Just because I can? Not gonna do it. If they don't pose a threat...no logical reason I can see to kill them.

Attached Files Otis_Snake_Bite_3.jpgOtis_Snake_Bite_2.jpg
Last edited by flintknapper; 07/09/19 12:12 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551712 07/09/19 12:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,529
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,529
I see your point, hope you see mine.


Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: pnh] #7551799 07/09/19 02:10 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
F
flintknapper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by pnh
I see your point, hope you see mine.


I do. Friend of mine at work (20 yrs. ago) was reaching down into the covered water meter on his property to brush away some leaves in order to read the meter.

He DID look down first but didn't check the backside of it (nearest to him). You know what happened next.

His bite (Southern Copperhead) was to the fleshy part of the palm just below his thumb. Both fangs, pretty good envenomation.

He did not think (initially) that he should seek medical attention. But in the next 36 hrs. the swelling had traveled up to his elbow. The area immediately around the bite looked like a giant bruise (purple, yellow, red). By the time he went to the hospital..there wasn't much they could do except give antihistamine and antibiotic.

He went around work the next two weeks with hand raised above his head like he knew the answer to some question being asked. We teased him mercilessly. smile

I'm pretty sure Mr. Hawkins has killed every snake he's come across since then. But probably more to even the score than to prevent being bitten again.

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/09/19 02:12 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7551817 07/09/19 02:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,529
P
pnh Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,529
I understand. I got bit when I was a kid. Had a terrible time with it. I'm still holding a grudge.


Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7552683 07/10/19 12:39 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 44,446
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Offline
Sparkly Pants
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 44,446
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by pertnear
We appreciate your service - 1 less.... clap


Ahhhh...come on guys. frown

They don't get a 'pass' if they come up around the house or my shop, but any that are out in the woods (or in this case right at the edge of the pasture) aren't any threat to me.

They play a needed role in the ecosystem and should be left alone (IMO) in most cases. With as many Feral Hogs as we have around here...I'm surprised there are many snakes left.



Kingsnake food...#1 role grin

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: flintknapper] #7552717 07/10/19 01:26 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 659
F
fredeboy Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
F
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 659
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by pnh
Get bit by one, then check back!


Not quite sure how killing every venomous snake I see would keep me from being bitten?

I've lived around snakes most of my 65 years, handled hundreds of them and have yet to be bitten (venomous snake).

Of course, I exercise caution in areas where I expect snakes to be and I am careful when handling them.

I had a Chocolate Lab that couldn't seem to leave them alone and was bitten on 3 different occasions.

My Daughter's Dachshund was bitten on the paw once. Still.....I believe most snakes do more good than harm.

I give them no quarter IF they get up around my house or shop area. I keep my lawn looking like a golf course normally and don't have things stacked up or laying around that would attract mice (food source).

There is a minimum 'buffer' (short mowed grass) of 75 yds. between the house and the closest pasture, so no reason for snakes to be out on the lawn. Once in a while it happens and those snakes (venomous) are immediately dispatched.

But why would I kill a Copperhead/other on my property...a full mile from my dwelling? Just because I can? Not gonna do it. If they don't pose a threat...no logical reason I can see to kill them.

CUTE PUP

Re: OOPS.....sorry little fella. [Re: fredeboy] #7552841 07/10/19 04:05 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
F
flintknapper Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,935
Originally Posted by fredeboy
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by pnh
Get bit by one, then check back!


Not quite sure how killing every venomous snake I see would keep me from being bitten?

I've lived around snakes most of my 65 years, handled hundreds of them and have yet to be bitten (venomous snake).

Of course, I exercise caution in areas where I expect snakes to be and I am careful when handling them.

I had a Chocolate Lab that couldn't seem to leave them alone and was bitten on 3 different occasions.

My Daughter's Dachshund was bitten on the paw once. Still.....I believe most snakes do more good than harm.

I give them no quarter IF they get up around my house or shop area. I keep my lawn looking like a golf course normally and don't have things stacked up or laying around that would attract mice (food source).

There is a minimum 'buffer' (short mowed grass) of 75 yds. between the house and the closest pasture, so no reason for snakes to be out on the lawn. Once in a while it happens and those snakes (venomous) are immediately dispatched.

But why would I kill a Copperhead/other on my property...a full mile from my dwelling? Just because I can? Not gonna do it. If they don't pose a threat...no logical reason I can see to kill them.

CUTE PUP


He's a hoot.

We have 4 Dachshunds (3 longhair) (One short hair).

Attached Files Otis_frog_killer.jpg

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3