OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Here you go...

https://www.peta.org/

I still don't get it? I'm not big on using dogs for experiments either, so that makes me anti-hunting too? I shot an adorable raccoon right in the face Sat night as he exited my protein trough and I must say, I enjoyed that shot.

I haven't seen many anti-hunters on THF or even people leaning that way... hunting means different things to different folks, but that's really OK.

But that is a perfect example of what PETA does. They spread stuff in media/social media/internet to stir emotions and inspire people to donate to them, then they use that money to lobby for gun control and against hunting.

Wish I could remember what the percentage of their funds are spent lobbying for gun control. Their end game is to take away your guns and that is a fact.

Exactly!

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7550936 07/08/19 04:50 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The most common I've noticed are where someone posts a pic or tells about shooting something, other than a deer, and inevitably someone asks "Why did you kill a _______?"

Over 10 years ago I called in my first bobcat from a primitive high rack compared to now while predator hunting and posted a pic and a member asked why... Guess being in my early 30s and successful pissed him off... There will always be pissed off people. He didn't think any bobcats ever should be shot. I haven't shot one since then and seen several while deer hunting but by my choice, not his.

I still haven't posted my 2005 quail hunt with 60 quail and not one pointer in the pic...

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7550966 07/08/19 10:50 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I don't make decisions about others and what they do. But, long age, I quit using animals for target practice.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: Dave Davidson] #7550976 07/08/19 11:36 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I don't make decisions about others and what they do. But, long age, I quit using animals for target practice.

I'd love to see an example of that in this forum if you could present it. I Have not seen it

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551040 07/08/19 01:01 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Someone has an opinion different than yours and you try to shut it down? We now need rules to governor speech? This is nothing but a THF form of PC. Thanks liberals, but I'll pass.

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551050 07/08/19 01:09 PM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
This is an interesting topic for me. I teach hunter ed in a high school where very few students have shot a firearms or hunted. As I’m teaching class I find my self trying to justify why it’s important shooting (for example) prairie dogs.
Because it’s “fun” or great target practice is sometimes hard to justify to some students.

I stress that hunting is conservation and give the success stories. (Whitetail deer) I also want the students to give examples of why they think hunting is bad. THERE ARE MORE NON HUNTERS THAN HUNTERS!!!!!!!!

We have to appreciate and understand everyone’s point of view and respect it.

In my opinion ETHICS and social media are our biggest threats as hunters.
For example , if a hunter shoots an animal that is legal to harvest but questionable and then post it on social media it BLOWS UP. The legality of it is irrelevant at this point.

For the most part hunters can justify harvesting an animal to eat. Shooting an animal for target practice is hard to justify, especially when it’s posted on social media.

I think most will agree, that gun ownership goes hand and hand with hunting. There are people in both categories that are new to it and are not in the “traditional “ category.
They probably didn’t have granddad or dad telling them if you shoot it you eat it.
For many of us this is in our heads before we shoot anything, wether we adhere to it or not, but it’s there.

Last edited by shightower; 07/08/19 01:11 PM.
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551054 07/08/19 01:14 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Opinions will be expressed on open forums - nature of the beast. If I disagree with an opinion, I can ignore it or offer an intelligent response about my opinion. Seems like a non-issue to me.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551058 07/08/19 01:17 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
We are our own worst enemy. It's one thing to have a differing opinions. It's another to publicly ridicule someone for hunting an animal totally within their rights.

The things I see online that are common.

1. High fence vs low fence. I could never see myself paying someone to hunt a high fence, but if someone called me and said hey man let's go cull some deer on my high fence you keep the meat... I will be hitting the door with the 270. But I'll be danged if you will catch me running down anyone on a public forum for writing that check

2. Long range shots. I personally would get no enjoyment out of shooting a deer or elk from a half mile away. I know people that love to shoot. They almost have an ocd part to them. Totally different than myself. In all actuality the 1st time I drew back on a deer with my bow I thought I'll never touch a rifle again. But you won't see me beating up folks that do. Nor do I want to be put down for bow hunting when the chances of wounding an animal are considerably higher.

3. Becoming more common with the rise of western Hunting is public vs private. I live to hunt public for several reasons none of which make me a better hunter or give me a right to look down on someone who doesn't. I've found that it's the adventure that keeps me in the hunt. Sitting gazing at the same field, feeder oak bottom etc for years on end seems boring to me. But do I care how or where someone else chooses to hunt? Absolutely not. Land owners feel a connection with a particular piece of property and the animals on it. They take pride in the stewardship of it. Good for them. Without a great mix of public and private land going into conservation efforts etc we would not be where we are today.

Ultimately the issue is the internet gives everyone a place to talk. That can be good and it can be bad. You get me out around a campfire with a couple buddies my opinion may be more blunt on a variety of issues and that is where those opinions belong. Not strung all over the internet like dirty laundry.

Last edited by ducknbass; 07/08/19 01:56 PM.
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551086 07/08/19 01:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
When I first started hunting as a kid back in the 70's, no one ever voiced an issue with killing any type of snake, nor did people act as if their pets were people. Now we have people pleading on social media for people to not shoot fireworks because it scares their pets, and television commercials encouraging people to look for a new place to live because sirens scare them.

Forget the issue with hunting. I'm wondering what the hell is going to happen when our nation faces a true crisis with Snowflakes now running deep and wide.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/08/19 01:48 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551088 07/08/19 01:46 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
[Linked Image]

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551132 07/08/19 03:12 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

Here you go...

https://www.peta.org/

I still don't get it? I'm not big on using dogs for experiments either, so that makes me anti-hunting too? I shot an adorable raccoon right in the face Sat night as he exited my protein trough and I must say, I enjoyed that shot.

I haven't seen many anti-hunters on THF or even people leaning that way... hunting means different things to different folks, but that's really OK.

But that is a perfect example of what PETA does. They spread stuff in media/social media/internet to stir emotions and inspire people to donate to them, then they use that money to lobby for gun control and against hunting.

Wish I could remember what the percentage of their funds are spent lobbying for gun control. Their end game is to take away your guns and that is a fact.

Exactly!

There seems to be a huge logic gap here between equating PETA with hunters that don't share the same, a universal set, hunting values.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: Texas Dan] #7551160 07/08/19 03:49 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
When I first started hunting as a kid back in the 70's, no one ever voiced an issue with killing any type of snake, nor did people act as if their pets were people. Now we have people pleading on social media for people to not shoot fireworks because it scares their pets, and television commercials encouraging people to look for a new place to live because sirens scare them.

Forget the issue with hunting. I'm wondering what the hell is going to happen when our nation faces a true crisis with Snowflakes now running deep and wide.

Man you hit the nail on the head

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: Palehorse] #7551161 07/08/19 03:50 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Palehorse
[Linked Image]

I could probably take a lesson from Tim myself

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551189 07/08/19 04:22 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I shoot hogs and leave them lay apparently that hurts some people feelings

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551211 07/08/19 04:48 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Apparently a whole lot more of us ought to shoot them and leave them lay, as many as you can and way more than you could possibly process. This talk of using poison has me worried.

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ducknbass] #7551231 07/08/19 05:23 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ducknbass
We are our own worst enemy. It's one thing to have a differing opinions. It's another to publicly ridicule someone for hunting an animal totally within their rights.

1. High fence vs low fence. I could never see myself paying someone to hunt a high fence, but if someone called me and said hey man let's go cull some deer on my high fence you keep the meat... I will be hitting the door with the 270. But I'll be danged if you will catch me running down anyone on a public forum for writing that check

2. Long range shots. I personally would get no enjoyment out of shooting a deer or elk from a half mile away. I know people that love to shoot. They almost have an ocd part to them. Totally different than myself. In all actuality the 1st time I drew back on a deer with my bow I thought I'll never touch a rifle again. But you won't see me beating up folks that do. Nor do I want to be put down for bow hunting when the chances of wounding an animal are considerably higher.

3. Becoming more common with the rise of western Hunting is public vs private. I live to hunt public for several reasons none of which make me a better hunter or give me a right to look down on someone who doesn't. I've found that it's the adventure that keeps me in the hunt. Sitting gazing at the same field, feeder oak bottom etc for years on end seems boring to me. But do I care how or where someone else chooses to hunt? Absolutely not. Land owners feel a connection with a particular piece of property and the animals on it. They take pride in the stewardship of it. Good for them. Without a great mix of public and private land going into conservation efforts etc we would not be where we are today.

Ultimately the issue is the internet gives everyone a place to talk. That can be good and it can be bad. You get me out around a campfire with a couple buddies my opinion may be more blunt on a variety of issues and that is where those opinions belong. Not strung all over the internet like dirty laundry.

Spot on IMO. Public opinion/ridicule is expected in open internet forums. Shouldn't be accepted on a hunting forum for LEGAL hunting. Does not help our cause in any way, shape or form. And doesn't foster new friendships, just the opposite FME.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: maximus_flavius] #7551239 07/08/19 05:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Imagine a young hunter going out and predator calling for the first time. They call in a fox, make a perfect shot and post their proud pics on here. Then they read people asking why they killed the fox like they've committed a felony. If that's not negative to our sport, I can't imagine what is.

So if I dont think clubbing baby seals is ok, I’m anti-hunting?

Is this really what your worried about? Talk about 1st World problems.

You have to becareful putting it on the grill. Bad flare ups!!!!! Lots of great fat. I started just using a cast iron to sear to keep grill from flaming up and catching fire... again. Burned down three grills until I figured it out.

I was really reluctant to use non-native mesquite, I highly suggest just a hint of mesquite smoke though. Inuits can just get over it. I left them a few mesquite beans just in case, they come around to my way of thinking.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551281 07/08/19 06:15 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Clubbing baby seals is a form of legal hunting. I don’t agree with it, or think it’s ethical. I’ll speak about it however I want. If something me snowflake gets offended, tough [censored].

Same with hunters who drive around & shoot up all the rabbits, squirrels, possums, etc. I think they are complete [censored], & are not welcome on my place. Don’t like it? Life is tough, plan accordingly.

Just because you shoot something doesn’t make it hunting.

Citiots just can’t wait to get to the country & shoot up everything. Doesn’t make them hunters.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 07/08/19 06:18 PM.
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: maximus_flavius] #7551294 07/08/19 06:29 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Clubbing baby seals is a form of legal hunting. I don’t agree with it, or think it’s ethical. I’ll speak about it however I want. If something me snowflake gets offended, tough [censored].

Same with hunters who drive around & shoot up all the rabbits, squirrels, possums, etc. I think they are complete [censored], & are not welcome on my place. Don’t like it? Life is tough, plan accordingly.

Just because you shoot something doesn’t make it hunting.

Citiots just can’t wait to get to the country & shoot up everything. Doesn’t make them hunters.

So are you out on the seal ribs? Pit style???? With a good ol Texan rub!!! Cooked to perfection and failing from the bone...finger licking good!!!

Ironically when the EU through such a fit about seal hunts it really killed the Inuit economy... apparently they make lots of money from pelts. Who knew.....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ducknbass] #7551316 07/08/19 06:44 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by ducknbass

Im moving deer stands so no time to elaborate but ducknbass covered my thoughts pretty well. To expand some I would say that a few negative comments are to be expected an they won’t come much from me regardless if I disagree. I don’t feel good about hushing anybody up rather I like their mouth or not.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551319 07/08/19 06:49 PM
S
Schat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I am the last person to want to be called a PC type, thought control, or tree hugger of any sort. But social media is double edge sword, what one sees as good fun( I enjoy the forum and post), other sees as unneeded actions. I recently attended a conference where people are looking a varmint tournaments, a lot of there info was coming from social media post. They are legal in Texas, but the feeling was not in support. I see it like the old tarpon tournaments. It not the action, but the what people see or want to see. a lot of there info was just pictures of hunts and the end. No, thought on predator control or it s legal. They even tally positive and negative response in there own data pool from other state tournaments from social media. I do not what the side board put on the data, but social media is real broad. I may not shot a bobcat in my old age, but I will not pass up a stray cat. This might make a hypocrite and will take the comments. But posting a feral cat would get me in hot water from many side of the world. so, posting any thing (pic or comments) that could be tallied as negative, may or may not help the cause. I feel most hunters shot a few animals we did not eat , for what ever the reason. but as we grow older it weeds it self out. I remember in my youth when I would shot a limit of doves and both my bother and sister. We cleaned birds till it was late. Now it ok to watch the grand kids shoot a limit even if I am a few short. I would not post the pictures grand kids, youngest boy is never clean and feathers seam to be a thing to play with. Anti hunters would think he was tarred and feathered. Food for thought

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: ntxtrapper] #7551343 07/08/19 07:16 PM
F
Flashprism Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
F
As a people we have moved away from a rural life style. My grand pa would raise ducks, chickens and goats and no one made a fuss when they were killed and prepared for dinner. It was the way it was. Now a feather on a piece of chicken on the store shelf is repulsive to many.

Our society via media has attributed human values to wild life starting with Bambi. We see loving and friendly carnivores as moms, dads and cute little babies.

This in addition to the media exploiting some who have demonstrated a barbaric and crude behavior has expanded the anti hunting population.

I am as pro hunting as you can get and have no hesitation in harvesting game but I also question the harvesting certain unique animals. An elephant as an example.

I'm sure this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: Flashprism] #7551347 07/08/19 07:25 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Flashprism
As a people we have moved away from a rural life style. My grand pa would raise ducks, chickens and goats and no one made a fuss when they were killed and prepared for dinner. It was the way it was. Now a feather on a piece of chicken on the store shelf is repulsive to many.

Our society via media has attributed human values to wild life starting with Bambi. We see loving and friendly carnivores as moms, dads and cute little babies.

This in addition to the media exploiting some who have demonstrated a barbaric and crude behavior has expanded the anti hunting population.

I am as pro hunting as you can get and have no hesitation in harvesting game but I also question the harvesting certain unique animals. An elephant as an example.

I'm sure this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

This type of opinion does not offend or attack other legal hunters.......I'm all for opinions like; "not my cup of tea but to each their own as long as it's legal hunting" if your asked about it in the post. But if your not asked, what good comes from posting that you wouldn't hunt this animal or this method of legal hunting?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7551354 07/08/19 07:29 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
So are you out on the seal ribs? Pit style???? With a good ol Texan rub!!! Cooked to perfection and failing from the bone...finger licking good!!! .

Pit style, absolutely! It’s a bit greasy.

Re: Anti hunting comments [Re: maximus_flavius] #7551370 07/08/19 07:47 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
So are you out on the seal ribs? Pit style???? With a good ol Texan rub!!! Cooked to perfection and failing from the bone...finger licking good!!! .

Pit style, absolutely! It’s a bit greasy.

I’m booking a trip to Nova Scotia, I’m looking for a pellet grill sponsor. Pretty sure I’m about to ink a deal with Yoder, I turned down those peasants over at Traeger. Can you believe they wanted me to use a tailgate model. No body got time for that. Can’t even get half a tiny seal on that thing

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide