Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Accurate smoothbore slugs? #7545622 07/01/19 03:45 AM
10 Gauge Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Planning on hunting corps of engineers lakes this fall, probably all the hunting I do will be on corps lakes.

Regs on hunting corps of engineers lakes states maximum shot soze is #2, no buckshot. Slugs can be used for hogs but must be smooth bore shotgun.

Soooooo I have been googling it up and according to the googles the federal truball is as good as smoothbore gets with a 12 gauge slug.

Any tips or ideas?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7545748 07/01/19 01:28 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Brenneke Classic foster style slugs are great in smooth bores. As a general rule open chokes are recommended for all slugs but aren’t absolutely necessary. Extra full and full chokes are not recommended. Like most other firearms, shotguns often favor one particular load over another, so experimenting with a few brands may be necessary.
Rifle sights or a scope are recommended for consistent accuracy out to 75-100 yds.
The 2 3/4” 11/8 oz. magnums have plenty of energy.

Last edited by Pappybear; 07/01/19 01:39 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7545786 07/01/19 02:09 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I would get 5 or 6 different slugs, preferably full power (1500-1600 fps), sandbag the gun at 50 yards and see which one shoots the tightest groups.

IME the Brenneke offers the best combination of accuracy and penetration (harder alloy than TruBall), something to consider when hunting hogs. There are several different varieties of Brenneke Slugs, I would start my search for accuracy with those.

Also experiment with different chokes, sometimes going from a cylinder/improved cylinder to a modified will tighten groups. Read the box the slugs come in to see if that slug is safe for tighter chokes...some are, some aren't.

I would also get a wearable recoil pad like a PAST or something similar. Shooting slugs off the bench is much more enjoyable with one.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7545822 07/01/19 02:56 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
SapperTitan does alot of shotgun hog hunting, he'll be back from timeout on 7/5, shoot him a PM.

Leon offers good advice also, I'd get a couple different brands and pattern them.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7545844 07/01/19 03:17 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Ive shot Remington and Winchester rifled slugs in a smooth bore with modified choke and gotten plenty good enough accuracy to hunt at moderate ranges.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7545931 07/01/19 05:08 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I’ve had really good luck with Fiocchi 7/8 oz low recoil.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7546057 07/01/19 08:41 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
For the time being, my slug gun will be a single shot Baikal with a fixed modified choke. It is just a beater but I "tuned " it to hit right where I point it. Meaning, I held the barrel in both hands like a samurai sword, and carefully whacked a soggy log until the pattern centered where I aimed.

We have a couple other shotguns but the baikal is my favorite. I have probably killed more animals with it than any other gun we have.

Best part about a single shot is you can hold a couple different shells between the fingers. So for a mixed bag hunt, which is normally how I hunt small game- anything in season Within range smile

I hope to kill my first hog this year with it, and a slug.

Thanks for the feedback

Last edited by regularguy11B; 07/01/19 09:22 PM.

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7546712 07/02/19 04:27 PM
D
DNygaard Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
I grew up in southwestern Minnesota using slugs for deer. We usually used Federal or Remington slugs. My Dad would give us kids 1 shot before he raised his gun at the deer. He would hit the deer that was in a full out sprint (usually through a corn field) right in the neck every time. The average distance was anywhere between 50-100 yards when he shot, sometimes more. The kicker, he only used a smoothbore barrel. Don’t get so caught up in pin point accuracy, practicing with any gun will always make you better with that gun (practice makes perfect). Oh, and it took me three years to get my first deer. All out sprinting deer are hard to hit! Hahahahaha! Have fun, good luck, and stay safe!

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7548248 07/04/19 02:07 AM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
So far the only ones I have found on the store shelf are standard federal foster slugs. Picked up a box of 15 for something like 11 or 12 bucks. I guess I'll just post up a paper plate and figure out how far I can hit it from, and call that good for now.

I really wanted to find some truball, everything I have heard sounds almost too good to be true

I had a stockpile of those brenneke ko's at one time, in 20 gauge. Like 200 rounds i ordered from cheaper than dirt on a special (still got ripped on shipping. Charged hazmat!). But the price was like $2.50 per box of 5 at the time, hard to beat that. Sold the gun, eventually sold the rest of the ammo too. They seem to shoot good, thanks for the tip on the penetration.

Realistically, if it's not a common load Kept in stock locally,i guess it's a bust for me. With all the great places nearby that are shotgun only, I'll eventually break down and order some.

The fiocchi aero slug looks like a good economical load, i might order up a ammo can of those. Worst case scenario, they will suck in my gun and we will have to invest in some 5 gallon waterjugs for a fun range smile

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7548483 07/04/19 01:37 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
LeonCarr has done lots of testing with shotguns. He knows what he's talking about. It boils down to each shotgun may pattern differently. Experiment to find which slugs your gun shoots well.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: phathawg] #7548595 07/04/19 04:50 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Thank You phathawg!

The Fiocchi Aero Slug is a good product.

They are constructed like the Brenneke KOs except they have a wadcutter profile instead of the semiwadcutter profile of the Brenneke.

They are available as a one ounce slug at 1560 fps, 7/8 ounce slug at 1300 fps, or a one ounce slug at 1150 fps. Hard hitting with above average accuracy IME.

If there is a Cabela's close to you they usually have them in stock. Try em!

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7548837 07/04/19 11:39 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'll try to stop by cabela's when I get layed over near one. Thanks smile

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7549015 07/05/19 11:36 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Interesting to see others in our State using slugs to achieve their hunting needs. I became interested in slugs a decade or so ago because a local and a not so local public hunt required them. The smooth-bore requirement of the ACoE does add a bit of a "lack" of a twist to the shooting. My interest in the ammo is handloading to fill the requirement, but I have shot a bunch of factory ammo.

I've owned several slug-guns and for rifled slugs have settled on the Marlin 512, outside the interest of this topic. I have two smooth barrels for my 50+year-old New Haven 600 a discount store (purchased at Gibson's) version of the Mossberg 500. With any smooth-bore you shoot, quality sights are essential, a front bead will not deliver projectile shooting accuracy. I found smooth-bore barrels very cheap for the Mossberg 500 series, everyone what rifled barrels, mine was $50 shipped via eBay. The Mossberg barrels have an excellent adjustable rear sight on their smooth-bore barrels.

[Linked Image]

As I noted, I've shot a bunch of brands of ammo, store-bought and ordered in, and hands down what I've found that shoots the best is LightField's Hybred Hunting series. It is a single hole shooter from my smooth-bore New Haven. It is the standard by which I judge my cast, handloaded slugs.

[Linked Image]

They are not cheap, but once settled in, you probably won't shoot a lot of them. I buy them through Bud's as they have fixed shipping on ammo ($10) and slugs run up the shipping charges fast.

I looked up the ACoE shot requirements, and I don't see the "(buck)shot larger than #2" an issue. I started hunting feral hogs at night in 1978. I was around some Hill Country oldtimers, we hunted long, baited cross-fences on full moon nights, and they laughed at my buckshot. They said if I wanted to increase my success at the shot, to shoot BBs. I did not doubt the guys and bought a case of a thousand rounds of it. A BB (.18") is larger than #2 (.15"), but I don't think .03" is going to matter. I think you will kill the heck out of them but choke and sights are important. I've stalked and killed a lot of hogs with Express loads of #6 shot. This all started long before deer feeders where common, but I still use BBs on hogs under lighted feeders. I've seen friends take a feeder leg out with buckshot, but I've never lost a leg to BBs. I've never played around with that 1K of ammo other than to pattern a barrel, probably less than ten shots. I've got less than a dozen left. Below is a typical single shot kill under a feeder. My 26" full choke barrel will keep every BB between the legs of a feeder at 35-yards.

[Linked Image]

For your bench shooting, wear a life jacket. I bought this at Academy on sale for less than $15, and it makes a difference with the slugs.

[Linked Image]

Be careful with the recoil. I was shooting a lot of slugs late last year and one eye started to bother me, I was seeing a lot of floaters. I went to the eye doctor and was told that my retina had a lot of small stress tears. She asked me if I boxed or was involved in physical contact activity where blows were delivered. I said no, but remembered that Mr. Lee of Lee Precision had to stop shooting heavy recoil firearms for this reason. I didn't mention the shooting, but I could tell she didn't believe me. She said whatever I was doing to lighten up and they would repair themselves. I limit my slug shooting to 15 shots a session now, and the problem hasn't returned.

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: Ranch Dog] #7549020 07/05/19 11:55 AM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
Interesting to see others in our State using slugs to achieve their hunting needs. I became interested in slugs a decade or so ago because a local and a not so local public hunt required them. The smooth-bore requirement of the ACoE does add a bit of a "lack" of a twist to the shooting. My interest in the ammo is handloading to fill the requirement, but I have shot a bunch of factory ammo.

I've owned several slug-guns and for rifled slugs have settled on the Marlin 512, outside the interest of this topic. I have two smooth barrels for my 50+year-old New Haven 600 a discount store (purchased at Gibson's) version of the Mossberg 500. With any smooth-bore you shoot, quality sights are essential, a front bead will not deliver projectile shooting accuracy. I found smooth-bore barrels very cheap for the Mossberg 500 series, everyone what rifled barrels, mine was $50 shipped via eBay. The Mossberg barrels have an excellent adjustable rear sight on their smooth-bore barrels.

[Linked Image]

As I noted, I've shot a bunch of brands of ammo, store-bought and ordered in, and hands down what I've found that shoots the best is LightField's Hybred Hunting series. It is a single hole shooter from my smooth-bore New Haven. It is the standard by which I judge my cast, handloaded slugs.

[Linked Image]

They are not cheap, but once settled in, you probably won't shoot a lot of them. I buy them through Bud's as they have fixed shipping on ammo ($10) and slugs run up the shipping charges fast.

I looked up the ACoE shot requirements, and I don't see the "(buck)shot larger than #2" an issue. I started hunting feral hogs at night in 1978. I was around some Hill Country oldtimers, we hunted long, baited cross-fences on full moon nights, and they laughed at my buckshot. They said if I wanted to increase my success at the shot, to shoot BBs. I did not doubt the guys and bought a case of a thousand rounds of it. A BB (.18") is larger than #2 (.15"), but I don't think .03" is going to matter. I think you will kill the heck out of them but choke and sights are important. I've stalked and killed a lot of hogs with Express loads of #6 shot. This all started long before deer feeders where common, but I still use BBs on hogs under lighted feeders. I've seen friends take a feeder leg out with buckshot, but I've never lost a leg to BBs. I've never played around with that 1K of ammo other than to pattern a barrel, probably less than ten shots. I've got less than a dozen left. Below is a typical single shot kill under a feeder. My 26" full choke barrel will keep every BB between the legs of a feeder at 35-yards.

[Linked Image]

For your bench shooting, wear a life jacket. I bought this at Academy on sale for less than $15, and it makes a difference with the slugs.

[Linked Image]

Be careful with the recoil. I was shooting a lot of slugs late last year and one eye started to bother me, I was seeing a lot of floaters. I went to the eye doctor and was told that my retina had a lot of small stress tears. She asked me if I boxed or was involved in physical contact activity where blows were delivered. I said no, but remembered that Mr. Lee of Lee Precision had to stop shooting heavy recoil firearms for this reason. I didn't mention the shooting, but I could tell she didn't believe me. She said whatever I was doing to lighten up and they would repair themselves. I limit my slug shooting to 15 shots a session now, and the problem hasn't returned.

Great post! Thanks smile

I found the shot restriction in what you might consider the "fine print" of the Fort Worth regional rules for this past season. If I recall correctly, they also do not allow cut shells and wax slugs. #2 birdshot, not #2 buckshot. I thought about BB's too, thanks for that great information. I figured they would be the best all purpose load for corps lands.

I'll see if I can find what I thought I saw and send it to you.

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7549050 07/05/19 12:42 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I downloaded the Ft Worth Region (which seems to cover Texas) Hunting Regulations and here is the text concerning shotguns under Means and Methods

Buckshot (any shot size large than #2 shot) is prohibited anywhere on government property. Buckshot is prohibited due to increased public safety concerns. Shotguns with rifled slugs are allowed when hunting deer and feral hogs except at those lakes which restrict deer and feral hog hunting to archery only.

In the huge document, there are only two references to smooth-bore shotguns. Both are concerning Lavon Lake in Collin County (which you might be planning to hunt). The same reference is listed under "Feral Hogs" and "Authorized Weapons".

Originally Posted by Lavon Lake, Collin County"
Feral Hogs: In Hunting Areas 6-13, Smooth Bore Shotguns (Slugs only) and archery may be used, in all other Hunting Areas-Bow and crossbow only.

That is out of all these properties.

[Linked Image]

If I could, I would choose a rifled slug barrel over a smooth-bore any day of the week for daylight hunting, but I do prefer the shot for nighttime hunting. Here are shot sizes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ranch Dog; 07/05/19 12:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: Ranch Dog] #7549086 07/05/19 01:19 PM
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Ranch Dog
I downloaded the Ft Worth Region (which seems to cover Texas) Hunting Regulations and here is the text concerning shotguns under Means and Methods

Buckshot (any shot size large than #2 shot) is prohibited anywhere on government property. Buckshot is prohibited due to increased public safety concerns. Shotguns with rifled slugs are allowed when hunting deer and feral hogs except at those lakes which restrict deer and feral hog hunting to archery only.

In the huge document, there are only two references to smooth-bore shotguns. Both are concerning Lavon Lake in Collin County (which you might be planning to hunt). The same reference is listed under "Feral Hogs" and "Authorized Weapons".

Originally Posted by Lavon Lake, Collin County"
Feral Hogs: In Hunting Areas 6-13, Smooth Bore Shotguns (Slugs only) and archery may be used, in all other Hunting Areas-Bow and crossbow only.

That is out of all these properties.

[Linked Image]

If I could, I would choose a rifled slug barrel over a smooth-bore any day of the week for daylight hunting, but I do prefer the shot for nighttime hunting. Here are shot sizes.

[Linked Image]

You are the man!

I do plan on Lavon, but my main target is Bardwell because it is close to my job and I plan on moving to that area. If I can shoot a rifled slug gun on Bardwell i will make it my main effort.

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7549405 07/05/19 07:14 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
A life jacket for recoil control while shooting slugs off the bench...that is absolutely brilliant clap

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7549709 07/06/19 03:55 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I've corresponded with the guys at Lightfield and talked with the Randy Fritz of Tarhunt several times, both sources have added a lot of insight into my slug shooting. First and foremost, I would recommend the Tarhunt videos for benchrest techniques for both bolt and pump guns. What is happening with a slug gun is that dense mass heading down the barrel is going to try and rotate the firearm in your grip. No way it isn't going to do this, Newton's third law stuff. The video's address this as it affects accuracy; it is especially noticeable in a pump action as it does not have a solid forearm like a bolt gun. The large projectile is also influenced by spindrift as it travels downrange.

After sending so many slugs downrange the last several years, my number one rule is only to shoot a shell length that matches your maximum chamber length. Most slug guns are roll stamped 2¾" or 3"; shoot the 3". If you don't, you are creating a ¼" of freebore in the chamber with the shorter hull, a gap where the slug is not supported within the chamber by the thickness of the hull. That silly little ¼" can wreak all kinds of havoc on a slug and its delivery package (sabot or wad(s)) as it passes that gap before entering the chamber's throat.

The industry barrel length for velocity testing or calculations is 26". You can expect to lose 17 to 22 FPS with every inch shorter your barrel is. The loss will make a trajectory difference downrange; not so much with the killing authority.

Do you guys do any reloading?

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7549720 07/06/19 04:26 AM
F
Flatcreek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Not to get away from the gist of the thread, but is the addition of a scope worth additional accuracy? Tapped w/base, saddle mount, or just plain iron sights? Most shots would be 50/75 yds with some out to 100+ a bit.

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: Flatcreek] #7549745 07/06/19 11:17 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Flatcreek
Not to get away from the gist of the thread, but is the addition of a scope worth additional accuracy? Tapped w/base, saddle mount, or just plain iron sights? Most shots would be 50/75 yds with some out to 100+ a bit.

I would say it depends somewhat on the shooter. I like a scope because it helps in low light. My Marlin 512 has the Weaver side mount (over the bore), they were drilled and tapped for the mount at the factory. My 500 rifled barrel has a scope on the cantilever mount. I also learn that using the specified torque on the base/mount and rings are extremely important with a shotgun. For some odd reason, while out on my range, I decided to tighten the base screws on the 512 a bit. That cost me as the next shot sheared the screws off. Went back to the Weaver specified torque and haven't had an issue over several hundred shots.

For the night time stuff slinging BBs at hogs in food plots, on baited senderos, and under feeders; I replaced the threaded post sight on my 500 barrels with the XS Sights SG20033 sight. The kit contains a larger threaded bead post which the sight "snaps" over, and adhesive; it is epoxied in place (permanently).

[Linked Image]

The sight is excellent, the view on the right is while I was standing out in the pasture.

[Linked Image]

I mentioned my 26" full choke barrel would send a load of BBs between the feeder legs at 35 yards, but I a favor an 18½" improved cylinder barrel which does the same at 25-yards. Light, snagging less brush and has a sling swivel.

In all the years between buying the 1K crate of Remington BBs and now, I missed how popular they have become for self-defense loads. That has driven the cost up significantly. Anytime they start selling your favorite load in packs of five, you know it isn't a good thing. I found the wads that were used in the loads and bought a sack of BBs and will reload the empty hulls myself.

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7549956 07/06/19 05:32 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Ranch Dog,

I reload and I am set up to cast. What is your favorite home cast shotgun slug?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: LeonCarr] #7550078 07/06/19 08:38 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
Ranch Dog,

I reload, and I am set up to cast. What is your favorite home cast shotgun slug?

I've spent a lot of time with the Lee slugs and the Lyman Shuttlecock as cut by NOE, most of that time frustrated with the endeavor. Last year, I wandered across the Sabot Technologies Slug-R-US website by accident and bought a small bag of their slug/sabots. After shooting them, I went back and bought the Hammerhead mold and 500 sabots.

[Linked Image]

For reloading, I have a Lee Loader for 3" shells, Roll Crimpers from BPI and STI (Sabot Tech), a MEC 600 Slugger Press, and the Lee Load-All II. Despite STI saying that a roll crimp, with their crimper, works best, the best accuracy I've had is with 3" hulls using a six-star folded crimp delivered by the Load-All II. At 100 yards, five-shot groups have averaged 3.6 MOA (3.8"), not much material left in the group when you are cutting .75" holes! In fact, at times the groups are impossible to measure accurately.

I've used a large range of powders; Blue Dot, Clays, HS6, International, Long Shot, Universal, and Unique, I feel I'm leaving some out. I've settled on 39.8-grains of Blue Dot with the Hammerhead (the image says 40-grains, but it is 39.8). Here are some loaded hulls from this week.

[Linked Image]

I did sell the NOE clone of the Lyman but haven't given up on the Lee. Despite sending hundreds downrange, I'm bound and determined to figure out something that will deliver the performance I'm seeing with the Hammerhead. It needs to be done with every shot and I cannot say that happens with the Lee.

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7550081 07/06/19 08:44 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Here is my Marlin 512, a sweet "rifle"! The scope is the Weaver Classic V 1-3x20 (#849400). I favor it over the pump gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7555160 07/13/19 11:29 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I do plan on Lavon, but my main target is Bardwell because it is close to my job and I plan on moving to that area. If I can shoot a rifled slug gun on Bardwell i will make it my main effort.

RG11B, I been looking for a smoothbore bolt gun since I became interested in the slug work, and finally found one. It is a like new Western Field 170, which is the Mossberg 395S. At $175, I could not pass it up.

[Linked Image]

This will allow me to compare smooth and rifled bolt guns and the same as I am doing with the pump guns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Accurate smoothbore slugs? [Re: 10 Gauge] #7559587 07/18/19 07:52 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have several slug guns and have used them some. I had to stop using the 12 gauge because I had 3 discs replaced in my neck a while back and the recoil would make my neck hurt for days (just three shots) so now my slug guns are 20 gauge. I have to say that yes rifled barrels will give you some extra range but typically are noticeably heavier. So my main slug gun presently is a Remington 870 pump and I have both a rifled barrel and a smooth bore with iron sights on it. Using an improved cylinder choke and Winchester 3/4 oz foster style slugs this gun will easily put three under 4 inches at 75 yards. Using the Brenneke slugs it will do slightly better. Where I have found hogs on public land has not been in an open enough area where a shot past 50 yards is possible. I also like the option to shoot shot for incidentals like snake control. As far as effectiveness I can't complain though several times the slugs did not go through. Still the entry holes being big enough to leak blood and the fact the hogs that took off did not go far all is good. Now in my testing of the rifled barrel the Brenneke slugs the KO version shot amazingly well and recoil is not bad at all. This slug is my favorite for either rifled or smooth bore barrels. I have generally used this barrel for deer hunting and the Brennekes have dropped deer several times and the few that ran a little ways leaked pretty good even if the slug did not exit. My testing with the Federal Sabot slug was a waste of money, the old Buckhammer was a good shooting slug but it's recoil rivals that of the 12 gauge loaded with foster slugs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide