Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: vanguard] #7545355 06/30/19 05:23 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by vanguard
i have some tats including a full sleeve but im not a cop, some of these cops look worse than the criminals they arrest. that doesnt seem right. professionals need to look the part just my opinion

What's your idea as a "professional"?
LEO's get dirty, bloody, shot at, kicked, punched, cursed, and on and on. So in your opinion they should wear ties and dress coats? I don't get the professional part. Look the part? What's that consist of?

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7545359 06/30/19 05:26 PM
C
Concho Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by LFD2037
i have some tats including a full sleeve but im not a cop, some of these cops look worse than the criminals they arrest. that doesnt seem right. professionals need to look the part just my opinion

LEO's get dirty, bloody, shot at, kicked, punched, cursed, and on and on. So in your opinion they should wear ties and dress coats? I don't get the professional part. Look the part? What's that consist of?

That would consist of being held to a higher standard in all aspects of the job.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Concho] #7545367 06/30/19 05:49 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Concho

That would consist of being held to a higher standard in all aspects of the job.

So some LEO's are professionals and others aren't?
Chiefs are professionals but beat cops aren't?
Doesn't make sense.
By definition, a "professional" is someone who gets paid for what they do.
"engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime"

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7545383 06/30/19 06:18 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Concho

Doesn't make sense.
"engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime"

Were you ever in the military?
You don't understand what looking professional means?

Like if you go to a doctors office and their scrubs are all wrinkled, they have hair that looks like Bernie Sanders, their facial hair is scraggly, and they have dirty shoes....that's looking unprofessional.

It should be fairly obvious that if someone is in a position of leadership or authority they should have an appearance that solidifies that role, not undermines it.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7545421 06/30/19 07:55 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sucks I can have an on point uniform, shined boots, crisp haircut, but my visible tattoo makes me unprofessional.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: DocHorton] #7545423 06/30/19 08:02 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by DocHorton

Like if you go to a doctors office and their scrubs are all wrinkled, they have hair that looks like Bernie Sanders, their facial hair is scraggly, and they have dirty shoes....that's looking unprofessional.

It should be fairly obvious that if someone is in a position of leadership or authority they should have an appearance that solidifies that role, not undermines it.

So tattoos undermine leadership & authority.
Got it.

<10% of the military, police & fireman I know don't have tattoos. Sad that 90% of them can't do their job appropriately.
rolleyes
So when a fireman goes from a house fire to an EMS call & saves somebody's life, it wasn't professional because they were sweaty & didn't smell great?
The poo is getting deep in this thread.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7545426 06/30/19 08:08 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Got it.

<10% of the military, police & fireman I know don't have tattoos. Sad that 90% of them can't do their job appropriately.
rolleyes
So when a fireman goes from a house fire to an EMS call & saves somebody's life, it wasn't professional because they were sweaty & didn't smell great?

It started back on the 24th.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7545431 06/30/19 08:19 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
It all goes back to the community you serve. If they have no problem with it, who cares.
If you join a city with a policy in place, just cover up and do your job.

I know when Dallas allowed beards, the city council drew the line with no visible tattoos.
Some always take it to the extreme anyway.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7545442 06/30/19 08:53 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good point LFD. My dog and I tracked a guy through the woods recently. I was literally crawling at times It was so thick. I was a dirty unprofessional sob the rest of the night I guess.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7545446 06/30/19 08:59 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Our policy has evolved quite a bit over the past 24 years. For most of that time it was "no visible tattoos", no exceptions. I remember multiple applicants being rejected because of tattoos because the Chief did not want to force anyone to wear a long sleeve uniform shirt in the Texas heat. Then it was relaxed to allow officers with tattoos on their arms/legs to wear short sleeve shirts or shorts as long as the tattoos were covered by something like a compression sleeve. Now it's just about the content, not the fact it's there. As long as it's not offensive or controversial it can be uncovered.
I still have reservations with having a lot of tattoos, but my feelings have evolved as well over the years. An awful lot of good applicants have tattoos now. l would rather not have an officer on the street who is sleeved out, but I'm ultimately more concerned about his/her qualifications and ability to the job than tattoos (assuming they're not offensive or controversial).

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7545459 06/30/19 09:33 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I've got that t-shirt.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7545616 07/01/19 03:34 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Got it.

rolleyes

My point was that looking unprofessional can undermine leadership and authority, and absolutely that is the case. That is why certain jobs and positions are held to a higher standard in appearance, because perception matters even if it has no bearing on how well someone does their job.

Tattoos have nothing to do with being good at a job or doing it appropriately, but having a bunch of visible tattoos can make someone look unprofessional.

I don't care if someone has tattoos or not....I have one, my wife has a couple. But if I had a sleeve of tattoos I would wear long sleeves at work because I want to look as professional as possible in my office.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7545644 07/01/19 05:05 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A lot of places that did not allow tattoos to show while at work are slowly changing. Hendrick's Medical Sytem, our local hospital had that rule of no visible tattoos. Today it is not enforced, last stay at Hendrick's I saw both male and female staff with tattoos. Nurses,, aides. cleaning staff, even one of the Physicians Assistants had visible tattoos.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7545659 07/01/19 08:11 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Chic Fila, who has by far the most professional staff, does not allow tattoos.
I saw a girl with a large band aid. She said it was to cover her tattoo.

I guess if you wanna see tats, you can go to Burger King.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: cbump] #7545820 07/01/19 02:55 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted by cbump
Sucks I can have an on point uniform, shined boots, crisp haircut, but my visible tattoo makes me unprofessional.

A visible tattoo is one thing, but i said cops that look like the thugs they arrest. Full sleeves and neck tattoos. Cops deal with the public, and shouldnt look intimidating to grandma jones

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: vanguard] #7545832 07/01/19 03:03 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

A visible tattoo is one thing, but i said cops that look like the thugs they arrest. Full sleeves and neck tattoos. Cops deal with the public, and shouldnt look intimidating to grandma jones

That is really an outdated opinion, today there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of professionals that have tattoos. Most people do not look at tattoos as they did 20 or 50 years ago.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: vanguard] #7545948 07/01/19 05:44 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

I've never seen an LEO w/a neck or face tattoo. I think cops should look intimidating. Maybe crooks would think twice about trying to take their gun.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7545953 07/01/19 05:57 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
I have had a bexar county sherriff at my house dude looked like he was straight out of the pen

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Roll-Tide] #7545987 07/01/19 07:00 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Chic Fila, who has by far the most professional staff, does not allow tattoos.
I saw a girl with a large band aid. She said it was to cover her tattoo.

I guess if you wanna see tats, you can go to Burger King.

Was she hot?

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7546154 07/01/19 10:50 PM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
If someone is coming to help me out of something serious, I'm thankful to see them, not judging their life choices.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7546182 07/01/19 11:13 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
BIL's tatt 'cept it says "Princess". rofl

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7546458 07/02/19 11:04 AM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Yes, IMO they can have visible tat's.

As it is related to a hiring decision, a tattoo isn't unlike anything else you put on your body in an attempt to tell the world about yourself. If you walk into an interview for a profession where your appearance is important, a decision will be made based on what is discovered about that person's appearance. A tat of a solid band on a mans ring finger in place of a wedding band, an unoffensive symbol on the back of the hand, a military symbol on the forearm, not a disqualify'r. An eyeball on your forehead, middle finger on your shoulder, the right decision will be made. If you choose to look like a fool, a municipality should be allowed to make the call on how their community is represented. Not all tat's are foolish.

FWIW, I have a tattoo and never been sorry about it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: LFD2037] #7546790 07/02/19 06:10 PM
C
Concho Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C

[/quote]
Doesn't make sense.
"engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime"[/quote]

I didn't say they weren't professional, I just said the perception is law enforcement should be held to a higher standard, people expect more from LEOs. I am allowed to have an opinion aren't I? I did say that I don't believe them to look professional and I don't, but then I'm an old guy and the world changes everyday.

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7546798 07/02/19 06:18 PM
C
Concho Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
By-the-way, I worked with lots of law enforcement officers with tattoos, most of them were great cops and it didn't change my opinion of them at all that they had tattoos. I simply have a personal standard for myself that I won't cross. Maybe the fact that my hair was longer than most cops offended other officers, each to their own. As far a EMS goes, as long as they show up, know their job, do their best, who cares? Fireman are bunkered out most the time I am around them, couldn't see a tattoo on most of them if I tried.....

Re: Tattoos on First Reponders [Re: Brother in-law] #7547145 07/03/19 12:08 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Not for me.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread