Originally Posted by PMK
we used to cook for large gatherings, and most of the time the local rancher would tell us to kill a couple of goats (Spanish) and Barbado ... we merely gutted, skinned and quartered them out, then tossed the quarters up on the pit along side briskets. Our dry rub was simple, salt, black pepper & onion powder. We also made up a mop sauce consisting of vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, a couple lemons & oranges squeezed and dropped rinds in mix, salt, black pepper, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce ... we would mop the meat every 30 minutes or so. Always came out fall off the bone tender. To me, goat (at least wild Spanish) and Barbado have a bit of a twang, but the smoking took a lot of that out ...

I used to do some BBQ cook offs with some west Texas buddies. They always would cook the goat, I never had any experience. This was similar to what they did. They would soak it over night in vinegar, then the next night was Italian dressing plus some other stuff. Even after all that and smoking it, I never could develop a taste for it. I figured anything that took that much work to taste good, shouldn't be eaten anyway. They always seemed to place with it, so I guess someone liked it. Just wasn't me. My grandfather would probably roll over in his grave if he knew I didn't like goat. He ranched in west Texas all his life. Goats were a big part of his income.

[Linked Image]