Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Savage Rifles #7543621 06/27/19 08:10 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Including the axis models, all the way to the long range versions, what do you personally like, or dislike about savage rifles. Also what are some sure ways to improve them as far as modifications. And if you have any pictures of what you've changed please post them!

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543634 06/27/19 08:35 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm not a fan of the accutrigger. I've replaced it on all but one of my Savages. Accustock is OK if you add some ballast to the buttstock area. Ejectors on everything made in the last 10 years or so are pretty sucky. Accuracy is generally good to great.

7 Rem Mag built on an older model 116 action - Shilen 8 twist match barrel - Rifle Basix trigger - cheapo Boyd's stock - Nightforce ATACR
[Linked Image]

308 10T - factory stock and barrel - Timney trigger (added after I took the pic) - Nightforce NXS
[Linked Image]

260 Rem built on a 12 action - EAB Accuracy barrel - B&C Medalist stock - factory Accutrigger - Gen II Razor - girlfriend
[Linked Image]

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543635 06/27/19 08:41 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I could never get past I think they are the ugliest mass produced rifle

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543640 06/27/19 09:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
They shoot great. The Accutrigger is just fine. I've had one Axis come out, and it too shot great, but had a horribly heavy trigger that could not be turned down.

The low end plastic stocks are the lowest end on the market.

Their ejector spring is too narrow, and too short. And I've had many just totally stop ejecting. Have one in the safe right now that does not eject, at all. And that's the third ejector spring it has had in its' life.

The extractor design is poor, and causes what I call the "Savage double stroke" to get a round to go into battery.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543652 06/27/19 09:13 PM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
I like that you can most modifications your self including barrel changes. Lots of aftermarket parts for the, lots of stocks and chassis systems. I think I have 9 or 10 of them now and maybe 6-7 extra barrels. All shoot very well. A couple do have ejection problems. I think the kits from SSS may have solved these issues. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543656 06/27/19 09:21 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
As was mentioned, they are very accurate guns...and I would say the most accurate for the money. Some might argue that, but that is my opinion. Agree with the sucky extraction, but with a new extractor, mine has been fine. Some don't, but I really do like the accutrigger. I currently have a boyd's at-one stock to replace the factory stock on order. I'll post a photo once it arrives.

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543664 06/27/19 09:32 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
All of the Savages that I have bought have shot very well. My "worst" one shoots 1 MOA no matter what commercial software I run. All of the others shoot well under MOA.

I really do not care what they look like as long as they put the bullet where I want it to (minus human error).

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543666 06/27/19 09:38 PM
Shane431 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I had a couple and never had any issues. They were accurate and a great value. Then I got a Tikka and just enjoyed the trigger and action so much more. So now I only have Tikkas. I would have full confidence in a Savage making very accurate shots. I just really like the Tikka that much more. But you can get some great deals on Savages especially during the holidays.

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543669 06/27/19 09:41 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I have 1. It started life as a Model 14 American Classic. I think it was a pretty rifle, I might have gotten lucky but the stock had a great wood grain to it. I think they get a bad rap because nobody buys the good looking savages.

Stock it didn't shoot well. I beded it and it greatly improved. Now has a aftermarket barrel and bell and Carlson stock. I haven't gotten around to putting any ammo together or shooting it since the new barrel but hope to soon. The only reason I bought a savage was the fact I can do most anything I want to on it myself and parts are pretty available. I can change bolt heads, change barrels etc. all at home.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: J.G.] #7543673 06/27/19 09:43 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I've had one Axis come out, and it too shot great, but had a horribly heavy trigger that could not be turned down.

JG, I have one of the old AXIS without the accutrigger, and I followed a tutorial to carefully only take a small piece of the spring coil off with snips, then light polish, then reassemble. Tested for drop fire and it was safe. It lightened the pull down to what I would guess is 2ish pounds.

And Texas Til I Die, I really like that 7mag!!

Last edited by SenkoSamurai; 06/27/19 09:44 PM.
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543675 06/27/19 09:46 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Biggest thing is, you can do all the work your self. I have done quite a few. Pretty easy to get them to shoot very well. Parts readily available. I really have no idea of the newer models like Axis but the Model 110 or the Stevens 200 have worked real good. As far as being ugly, I can live with that. I have had many drag cars, some I built and others that were complete. The ones I enjoyed the most were the ones that I literally built, engines, trannys, rear ends, cages and chassis. I feel the same way about my savages.

Last edited by GLC; 06/27/19 09:48 PM.

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543705 06/27/19 10:30 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
And Texas Til I Die, I really like that 7mag!!
It shoots pretty good. I'm running 180 ELD-M's out of it at 2950. Most groups from the bench are .5 to .6 MOA with an occasional stupid small one. I had a 3 shot 500 yard group on steel that was under an inch. Wish I could do that every time, but I'm old, eyes are bad, and nerves are shot. Hoping the wind forecast for this weekend stays low. We just built a new berm that will let us back up to 1700+ yards and I want to really stretch it out. So far 1000 is the furthest I've shot it.

And I really need to get some better pics.

keep me hanging on.
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543709 06/27/19 10:37 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
As others have said, they shoot pretty good straight from the factory. Do a bit of home gunsmithing and they can be very good indeed.

As far as extraction and ejection issues, this $20 kit pretty much solves that. https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Improved-Extractor-Kit.html

#FighttheNoise
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: HandgunHTR] #7543718 06/27/19 10:53 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
As others have said, they shoot pretty good straight from the factory. Do a bit of home gunsmithing and they can be very good indeed.

As far as extraction and ejection issues, this $20 kit pretty much solves that. https://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Improved-Extractor-Kit.html

Know of any with 3000 rounds on them?

Look how tiny that spring is. Go pull the ejector srping from (pick your brand) and compare diameter and length.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543740 06/27/19 11:57 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Killed this hog a few months back with my Axis II .243 that I picked up at Academy last summer when they were offering them as part of a hunting license package deal.

As others have noted, the wood stocks are nothing to look at but the quality is damn good for the price. The spacing between the free-floated barrel on my Axis is as clean and consistent as that of my Winchester Model 70 and Browning A-bolt. A very good utility and backup gun that you might keep stored at camp in case you need one without being too afraid of shedding tears if it were stolen.

IMO, the Accutrigger is Savage's approach at creating a two-stage trigger. Still, mine breaks as crisply, and in a case or two better than any gun I own. If you get one with a scope, expect it to be a throw away and add something a little better.

A great rifle to take to the woods when you know you're likely to get beat up, wet, and muddy.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/28/19 12:10 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: Texas Dan] #7543767 06/28/19 12:42 AM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
If you get one with a scope, expect it to be a throw away and add something a little better

I got the trophy hunter package in 7mm and the Nikon 3-9x40. Tossed the rings it came with and put the money down for leupolds. Since then it’s been quite the package for $450 invested!

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: J.G.] #7543802 06/28/19 01:50 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
They shoot great. The Accutrigger is just fine. I've had one Axis come out, and it too shot great, but had a horribly heavy trigger that could not be turned down.

The low end plastic stocks are the lowest end on the market.

Their ejector spring is too narrow, and too short. And I've had many just totally stop ejecting. Have one in the safe right now that does not eject, at all. And that's the third ejector spring it has had in its' life.

The extractor design is poor, and causes what I call the "Savage double stroke" to get a round to go into battery.

Pretty much my view. Never had one stop ejecting but I haven't shot them as mush as Jason. The ejection is rather weak and there are occasional feeding issues. Love the accuracy and the accutrigger. The plastics are cheap but the accustock works great. they are supremely accurate.

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543807 06/28/19 02:00 AM
M
mikereiling5 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
recently bought one as my first rifle, after I had someone help me sight it, I have not noticed any problems. even killed a coyote!

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543925 06/28/19 12:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
If you get one with a scope, expect it to be a throw away and add something a little better

I got the trophy hunter package in 7mm and the Nikon 3-9x40. Tossed the rings it came with and put the money down for leupolds. Since then it’s been quite the package for $450 invested!

Didn't know they came with a Nikon scope. Mine came with a low-end Bushnell.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7543952 06/28/19 12:40 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Since they already lost the looks battle with everyone, I wish they would come with a flat spot that would accept an 1-1/4 wrench on the front end of the action to facilitate diy barel swaps. And the smooth barrel nuts, while they look prettier than the notched ones are a pain in the azz! I took a pipe wrench to my old one and tossed it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: redchevy] #7544004 06/28/19 01:51 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
Since they already lost the looks battle with everyone, I wish they would come with a flat spot that would accept an 1-1/4 wrench on the front end of the action to facilitate diy barel swaps. And the smooth barrel nuts, while they look prettier than the notched ones are a pain in the azz! I took a pipe wrench to my old one and tossed it.
Yep, anytime I'm replacing a barrel, I always snag a new recoil lug and barrel nut. There are aftermarket ones available that are machined to much tighter tolerances than the factory ones. Just swapping those out can tighten up your groups a bit.

keep me hanging on.
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7544016 06/28/19 02:04 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I actually kept my factory recoil lug. I took the calipers to it and couldn't find any fault with it.

I like messing with my own stuff, but something that gets at me is people just changing stuff to change stuff without seeing what they are gaining. Like buying a factory savage and without even shooting it ditching the factory stock, recoil lug, barrel, and barrel nut for aftermarket and shooting a 1/2 MOA group and believing they improved it soooo much, when in reality they don't know what they did because they don't know what the factory stuff was capable of, many with the right load are capable of the same.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Savage Rifles [Re: J.G.] #7544025 06/28/19 02:14 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Look how tiny that spring is. Go pull the ejector srping from (pick your brand) and compare diameter and length.

For $20, I guess I just look at the extractor spring as a maintenance item. Comparing the cost of a Savage to a Tikka, I can buy a lot of extractor springs for the $500 difference in the price of the rifles!

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: GusWayne] #7544166 06/28/19 05:57 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by procraft05
I could never get past I think they are the ugliest mass produced rifle

Does this Savage make my butt look fat? Really? I'm not saying the rifle you consider attractive can't/won't shoot, but to me, it doesn't matter. I buy tools for a purpose and it aint to look at. I would say who cares what they look like but now I know.

Re: Savage Rifles [Re: unclebubba] #7544228 06/28/19 07:55 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

For $20, I guess I just look at the extractor spring as a maintenance item. Comparing the cost of a Savage to a Tikka, I can buy a lot of extractor springs for the $500 difference in the price of the rifles!

People with Vortex scopes talk about how good their warranty is.

Breaking down is something I can't stand.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide