texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Redneckcrappiedude, deckh, Joe Westbrook, FS4407, browning300
65905 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 94,688
bill oxner 58,342
stxranchman 55,296
SnakeWrangler 47,506
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,436
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics439,617
Posts6,378,303
Members65,905
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread #7542361 06/26/19 04:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
D
DocHorton Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
This is just for my education, as I am curious what types of hunting most on this forum do. Lots of HF/LF threads and various numbers spouted off, but I'm curious how our THF brethren actually hunt.

You must vote to see the results, and there are 3 questions. Thanks for participating. cheers

Have you EVER deer hunted a HF place?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/26/19 04:46 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Does the MAJORITY of your deer hunting occur on a HF place?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/26/19 04:47 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
What size HF places have you deer hunted?
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 06/26/19 04:55 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542685 06/26/19 05:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 359
F
freerange Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
F
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 359
Great poll I think. Not sure what will come of it but it could shed some light on facts in regard to the THF members that chose to respond. I hope that many do. I hope everyone will use it as fact finding and keep away from the opinions and insults and maybe it will do some good.


Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542703 06/26/19 06:05 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 13,737
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 13,737
There should be a poll on who's ever hunted a NO fence place. After all, the concept is the same. Folks got just as riled up, make that way more riled up, about putting up any fence, back in the day.


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542709 06/26/19 06:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,302
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,302
I would love a no-fence place, except the fence keeps my neighbors cows off my place. I don't need that on my property.

However, I think we can all agree, a 4-5 foot barb fence does nothing to slow a poacher or a deer trying to go across the road to a neighbors property.

Having said that, an 8 foot fence isn't stopping a poacher with a set of wire clips either bolt

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542754 06/26/19 07:18 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 236
S
Sparta Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
S
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 236
Almost all of my experience is hunting LF but I've hunted a handful of HF ranches (all 4K - 5K acres). These were not the "Grow Monster's" kind of ranches. The deer were native on each occasion. Each time the deer seemed to be harder to hunt and more aware of their environment. I was on a HF hunt in Alabama a few years ago hunting from a 20ft ladder stand. If I made the slightest movement I'd get busted. I guess they are more use to being hunted and this makes them more jumpy???

Last edited by Sparta; 06/26/19 07:20 PM.
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: freerange] #7542762 06/26/19 07:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
D
DocHorton Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
Originally Posted by freerange
Great poll I think. Not sure what will come of it but it could shed some light on facts in regard to the THF members that chose to respond. I hope that many do. I hope everyone will use it as fact finding and keep away from the opinions and insults and maybe it will do some good.


Thank you, that is exactly the goal.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542772 06/26/19 07:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 16,884
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 16,884
Good idea Doc. up

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 06/26/19 07:39 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7542847 06/26/19 08:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 359
F
freerange Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
F
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 359
Doc, to clarify your poll-I know its pretty clear if they read the fine print but if you have hunted on more than one HF place then you should elect more than one of the acreage size choices. I think that's what you intended....?


Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542882 06/26/19 09:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,940
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
O
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,940
I have never had the opportunity to hunt a high fence place, mainly due to cost. Three kids in college at one time, five cell phones, 6 vehicles insured with several years with 3 below the age of 21. I am looking for a politician who will push FREE HF hunting for all.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: Old Rabbit] #7542914 06/26/19 10:06 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,894
tlk Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,894
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
I have never had the opportunity to hunt a high fence place, mainly due to cost. Three kids in college at one time, five cell phones, 6 vehicles insured with several years with 3 below the age of 21. I am looking for a politician who will push FREE HF hunting for all.


Bernie will


You can't fix stupid
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542945 06/26/19 10:50 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,181
S
scalebuster Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,181
Ive never hunted inside of a high fence but I have killed a lot of does inside of a 6K acre place and watched customers kill some 200 bucks and several nice exotics.i remember one nice 350+ elk that I wanted to kill In the middle of the road from the mule, where hed be easy to load up. We had to negotiate price over the radio and stalk him over a hill to kill him resting over shooting sticks. Luckily the customer made a perfect kill shot before he walked too far from the road so we could drive down and winch him onto the trailer. He made a nice looking office conversation piece. The real challenge is killing the exotic sheep species.they are very wiley.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: freerange] #7542946 06/26/19 10:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
D
DocHorton Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
Originally Posted by freerange
Doc, to clarify your poll-I know its pretty clear if they read the fine print but if you have hunted on more than one HF place then you should elect more than one of the acreage size choices. I think that's what you intended....?


Yes sir. It will be hard to see exactly how many hunted each place, but will give an idea of what sizes are most commonly seen. So yes, if you have hunted a 250 acre, 1200 acre, and 6000 acre you will select three choices.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542961 06/26/19 11:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,235
D
don k Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 12,235
When I was growing up my parents owned property in San Antonio. Our place was from Weidner Rd. to Starlight Terrace. It butted up to Longhorn Cement. This was from the 40"s through 1963. Back then fences did not mean much. And back then there were not a lot of deer. Across Randolph Blvd. there was a large piece of property that was called Robards. It was supposed to become a subdivision that never panned out. We hunted it a lot. It took me until I was 15 to take my first Buck Deer. An 8 point..Back then Does were not legal, But sometimes we took them if we needed some sausage meat. As far as I can remember I never saw a GW. Times have changed and people have changed. There are more people than the resources that are available for all of them to get at the price they can afford.. Such as WT or a many of the exotics. That is one reason why HF has made it possible for more to enjoy the experience of hunting. It strikes me odd that you see and hear more LF people down grading HF hunter than you see the other way. HF hunters very seldom say anything negative about a LF hunter. The person that started this thread called a person a democrat for the way he thought. I actually think the LF people may be more like the democrat and now socialist leaning party than anything else. They think everyone should be the same. No one should have more than anyone else. If you can take a 200 inch WT they should also If you can stay in a nice big lodge and have great food prepared my a chef they should also. I don't think this is the way this great Country was founded and hopefully it gets back to what it used to be. And as always this is just my opinion and everyone knows what that is. And I am not going to do the survey because I could give a rats a** what the results are.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7542981 06/26/19 11:26 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 288
F
furfinrfeather Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
F
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 288
I know that the Chaparral WMA is high fenced, I think some others are also. I assume you are counting them as "high fence" so anyone that gets drawn for one of these has hunted a high fenced place.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: don k] #7543088 06/27/19 01:54 AM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 409
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
W
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 409
Originally Posted by don k
When I was growing up my parents owned property in San Antonio. Our place was from Weidner Rd. to Starlight Terrace. It butted up to Longhorn Cement. This was from the 40"s through 1963. Back then fences did not mean much. And back then there were not a lot of deer. Across Randolph Blvd. there was a large piece of property that was called Robards. It was supposed to become a subdivision that never panned out. We hunted it a lot. It took me until I was 15 to take my first Buck Deer. An 8 point..Back then Does were not legal, But sometimes we took them if we needed some sausage meat. As far as I can remember I never saw a GW. Times have changed and people have changed. There are more people than the resources that are available for all of them to get at the price they can afford.. Such as WT or a many of the exotics. That is one reason why HF has made it possible for more to enjoy the experience of hunting. It strikes me odd that you see and hear more LF people down grading HF hunter than you see the other way. HF hunters very seldom say anything negative about a LF hunter. The person that started this thread called a person a democrat for the way he thought. I actually think the LF people may be more like the democrat and now socialist leaning party than anything else. They think everyone should be the same. No one should have more than anyone else. If you can take a 200 inch WT they should also If you can stay in a nice big lodge and have great food prepared my a chef they should also. I don't think this is the way this great Country was founded and hopefully it gets back to what it used to be. And as always this is just my opinion and everyone knows what that is. And I am not going to do the survey because I could give a rats a** what the results are.


that is how you interpret the "LF" hunters. If you had read the threads in their entirety you would have noticed otherwise. The majority of the people against high fence do not care if hunters and or land owners install them or care if people hunt inside them. The point we were trying to make is like it or not, a few high fence ranches and hunters paint the "hunting" picture for antis and non-hunters. High fences do not look good from the outside looking in, even if you are raising goats in them, there are inadvertently deer in there too. you applying your Bernie thoughts on 200in deer and nice lodges are ridiculous. It will not, but hopefully hunting gets back to what it used to be.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: Creekrunner] #7543099 06/27/19 02:05 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 25,289
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 25,289
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
There should be a poll on who's ever hunted a NO fence place. After all, the concept is the same. Folks got just as riled up, make that way more riled up, about putting up any fence, back in the day.




Ive killed a few animals on no fence places. I felt elite

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7543131 06/27/19 02:38 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,335
T
TCM3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,335
Do a poll on " Anyone ever crossed a fence"..... bolt


Trump
-------- 2020
Pence
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7543148 06/27/19 03:01 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,956
S
SingleShot85 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 1,956
W all this craziness Ill give my experience w HF hunting 4K acres. when fenced it was a shot ranch w 4 confirmed bucks over the age of 3.5yoa. Noting imported no supplemental feeding and 7 years of killing only does and spikes we had our first year of a proper age class distribution. For the next 3 years only 2 mature bucks were allowed to be killed. For years 10-20 the ranch produced tons of quality animal that were amazing and nearly..... impossible to harvest. Most of the biggest deer died of old age or killed post prime, even w the use of the MLD extended season. The HF had very little to do with keeping animals in and almost every thing w keeping stuff out. Every year some monster would be seen form the sky once and never seen again. Of course we had target deer and some would get harvested but the antler drop box had a few 200 deer that went on with their life until they died. Our density was kept to a deer to every 25 acres. Thats not a lot of deer on 4K acres so hunting there was a challenge most folks cant imagine. It takes metric shizz ton of work dedication and patients to commit to that level of animal husbandry just sayn

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7543579 06/27/19 06:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
D
DocHorton Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,970
100 votes so far!

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: SingleShot85] #7543714 06/27/19 10:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,755
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 7,755
Originally Posted by SingleShot85
W all this craziness Ill give my experience w HF hunting 4K acres. when fenced it was a shot ranch w 4 confirmed bucks over the age of 3.5yoa. Noting imported no supplemental feeding and 7 years of killing only does and spikes we had our first year of a proper age class distribution. For the next 3 years only 2 mature bucks were allowed to be killed. For years 10-20 the ranch produced tons of quality animal that were amazing and nearly..... impossible to harvest. Most of the biggest deer died of old age or killed post prime, even w the use of the MLD extended season. The HF had very little to do with keeping animals in and almost every thing w keeping stuff out. Every year some monster would be seen form the sky once and never seen again. Of course we had target deer and some would get harvested but the antler drop box had a few 200 deer that went on with their life until they died. Our density was kept to a deer to every 25 acres. Thats not a lot of deer on 4K acres so hunting there was a challenge most folks cant imagine. It takes metric shizz ton of work dedication and patients to commit to that level of animal husbandry just sayn


That sounds like one heck a of place up


[Linked Image]
"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7543890 06/28/19 06:57 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 16,501
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 16,501
No but buddies place is surrounded by HF. Still has 5 miles of a river not HFed... Doesn't hunt like a HFed place at all. Our lease has 1/2 mile HFed and same. Still have 5 miles open.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: DocHorton] #7543915 06/28/19 11:43 AM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,824
S
snake oil Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,824
Well I screwed up because I hunted Black Buck behind a high fence. Was thinking of WT only.

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: snake oil] #7543922 06/28/19 12:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,274
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 26,274
Originally Posted by snake oil
Well I screwed up because I hunted Black Buck behind a high fence. Was thinking of WT only.


Poll is deer only. Youre OK.


Originally Posted By: Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.


Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: snake oil] #7543927 06/28/19 12:16 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 25,289
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 25,289
Originally Posted by snake oil
Well I screwed up because I hunted Black Buck behind a high fence. Was thinking of WT only.


FYI Blackbuck are easily contained by a 4 fence as well

Re: High Fence/ Low Fence Poll Thread [Re: SingleShot85] #7543931 06/28/19 12:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 25,289
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 25,289
Originally Posted by SingleShot85
W all this craziness Ill give my experience w HF hunting 4K acres. when fenced it was a shot ranch w 4 confirmed bucks over the age of 3.5yoa. Noting imported no supplemental feeding and 7 years of killing only does and spikes we had our first year of a proper age class distribution. For the next 3 years only 2 mature bucks were allowed to be killed. For years 10-20 the ranch produced tons of quality animal that were amazing and nearly..... impossible to harvest. Most of the biggest deer died of old age or killed post prime, even w the use of the MLD extended season. The HF had very little to do with keeping animals in and almost every thing w keeping stuff out. Every year some monster would be seen form the sky once and never seen again. Of course we had target deer and some would get harvested but the antler drop box had a few 200 deer that went on with their life until they died. Our density was kept to a deer to every 25 acres. Thats not a lot of deer on 4K acres so hunting there was a challenge most folks cant imagine. It takes metric shizz ton of work dedication and patients to commit to that level of animal husbandry just sayn



Good friend of mines grandpa bought 4K acres in south Texas back in the early 90s.

Aerial survey reviled they only had 1 buck around the 130 mark on it. Decision was made to high fence, feed and manage the native herd. No DMP pens, no outside genetics. Ranch is managed for deer and cattle like very few places are.


Now they have killed multiple 200 bucks with 170s and 180s being quite common.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3