P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Access to water has been my concern for me. I have always wondered what other game animals are affected besides deer when water sources are fenced with a high fence and no longer available to free range animals. I bring this up because I know of a specific fence erected along one side of a 16,000 acre ranch to purposely cut water sources off to a "Bad" neighbor's deer herd.

I don’t think I have ever been on a ranch of any size that didnt have a sustain water system(outside of extreme drought) in place including far west Texas. Cattle is still king in Texas. Not saying there isn’t just not the norm.

X2
I would never consider owning land in west Texas that I couldn't provide water for livestock or wildlife.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7540448 06/23/19 03:12 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted by don k
And hopefully the majority of people do actually realize that the entire state of Texas private land is not geared toward raising Whitetail Deer for their hunting pleasure. Or after reading a lot of post maybe they don't know this.

No, but a helluva lot of it is - more HF than anywhere on earth outside South Africa.

[Linked Image]

And why do you think South Africa has so much? Maybe it is the same reason Texas does.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540460 06/23/19 04:01 PM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
At least three TPWD WMAs are high fenced. I seriously doubt that they will be taking down the fences any time soon on the State owned land.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: HornSlayer] #7540463 06/23/19 04:13 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Access to water has been my concern for me. I have always wondered what other game animals are affected besides deer when water sources are fenced with a high fence and no longer available to free range animals. I bring this up because I know of a specific fence erected along one side of a 16,000 acre ranch to purposely cut water sources off to a "Bad" neighbor's deer herd.

That's when you pony up and do what most of us do, you provide a water source. I have three on my place all well fed.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: don k] #7540539 06/23/19 06:41 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
And hopefully the majority of people do actually realize that the entire state of Texas private land is not geared toward raising Whitetail Deer for their hunting pleasure. Or after reading a lot of post maybe they don't know this.

No, but a helluva lot of it is - more HF than anywhere on earth outside South Africa.

[Linked Image]

And why do you think South Africa has so much? Maybe it is the same reason Texas does.

No, it isn’t. Not that I’m a big fan of SA game farm hunts that call themselves ‘safaris’ either.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540996 06/24/19 01:54 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I'm in the FU camp, I do what I want with my own land, but for argument sake...

1000 acres min.....ecologically speaking, less than that it doesn't make much sense

Last edited by SingleShot85; 06/24/19 02:37 PM.
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: SingleShot85] #7541256 06/24/19 07:09 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by SingleShot85

1000 acres min.....ecologically speaking, less than that it doesn't make much sense

So even though I have less than 1000 acres and need a HF to raise Ibex it doesn't make much sense. Interesting.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: don k] #7541348 06/24/19 09:08 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

So even though I have less than 1000 acres and need a HF to raise Ibex it doesn't make much sense. Interesting.

no.... your situation makes perfect since... your place, as I have read, is the definition of an enclosure to raise your baby goats up. my answer was more intended to be what I believed was the minimum to not be considered an enclosure and one that would need the least attention ecologically. but as I mentioned, "your land you rules".

I have 2300 acres a little over half is HF and the other is low by design... I have control over the ranch that we border / the low fence so its all good. the day I loose the lease on that land we erect the other half of the high fence. I dont want things getting in the high fence more than I want stuff leaving.. Most people HF haters can't or don't want to comprehend that fact. They just see what that cant get to and hate.... cheers

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7541726 06/25/19 01:51 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just an observation, neither for nor against: I've noticed a couple of big pickups in my neighborhood. They both have a big white ranch name on the rear window, and of course a big buck sticker. They drive right on your butt, if they're behind you, and generally do the whole "penis through the pedal" routine I call it. I googled the "ranch". 160 acres...high fence. This is where some of the animosity comes from.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: maximus_flavius] #7541908 06/25/19 04:52 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
There’s 3 types of HF haters

1). Those that are jealous.

2). Those that hunt small acreage & depend on the deer that stay on their neighbors place (98% of the time) to cross the low fence onto their piddlin place. Most of these pricks are fenceline hunters.

3). Crusty old curmudgeons who recall the glory days of their youth, when they could hunt a lot of property, before all these Dallas people showed up wantin to hunt. Hey you kids get off my lawn!

Originally Posted by SmallTownHunter

And it seems like there is only one type of high fence "hunter". Lives in a subdivision, has huge ego, has spent as much time in the woods as my 12 yo nephew.

That shows exactly how much you know.

Let the hate flow.

Replying to yourself?

Majority of those who disagree with HF have nothing to do with the 3 reasons you posted. Generally the complaint is about fair-chase, and the deer having a chance to escape.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7541923 06/25/19 05:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton

2). Those that hunt small acreage & depend on the deer that stay on their neighbors place (98% of the time) to cross the low fence onto their piddlin place. Most of these pricks are fenceline hunters.

3). Crusty old curmudgeons who recall the glory days of their youth, when they could hunt a lot of property, before all these Dallas people showed up wantin to hunt. Hey you kids get off my lawn!

And it seems like there is only one type of high fence "hunter". Lives in a subdivision, has huge ego, has spent as much time in the woods as my 12 yo nephew.

Let the hate flow.

Replying to yourself?

Majority of those who disagree with HF have nothing to do with the 3 reasons you posted. Generally the complaint is about fair-chase, and the deer having a chance to escape.

Escape? Yes most hunters drive around on a 4 wheeler chasing them until you run them to the neighbors, oh wait it’s got a fence. They run to a fence and stop and put their hands up and yell don’t shoot.

Escape what? Most hunting scenario/set ups equal less then a half to an acreage of total hunting area. So you are saying a 1000acre HF proper confines the deer from escaping your 1 acre feeder set up. Gotcha

If escape you mean a fence around a 1 acre pen then yes you are correct.

Fair chase with a truck, custom rifle, corn, no native food plots, optics etc... lol.

Fair chase is an idiotic methodology that literally defies the use of any modern tool or tool use. Nothing fair chase about efficiencies

Fair chase is the new “trophy hunting” anti rhetoric .... it’s a noose for hunters

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7541946 06/25/19 05:52 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Let the hate flow.

Replying to yourself?

Escape? Yes most hunters drive around on a 4 wheeler chasing them until you run them to the neighbors, oh wait it’s got a fence. They run to a fence and stop and put their hands up and yell don’t shoot.

Escape what? Most hunting scenario/set ups equal less then a half to an acreage of total hunting area. So you are saying a 1000acre HF proper confines the deer from escaping your 1 acre feeder set up. Gotcha

Fair chase with a truck, custom rifle, corn, no native food plots, optics etc... lol.

Fair chase is an idiotic methodology that literally defies the use of any modern tool or tool use. Nothing fair chase about efficiencies

Fair chase is the new “trophy hunting” anti rhetoric .... it’s a noose for hunters

Boom....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7541958 06/25/19 06:02 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Replying to yourself?

You know what escape means, you're not stupid. And you know the definition of fair chase. Means and methods and habitat improvement have nothing to do with confining an animal....you should know that as well.

Your explanation is the biggest reason people don't like HF. It's because they just won't admit it restricts deer movement, prevents them from escaping, and inhibits fair chase. They act like it's the same when it's clearly not to anyone with half a brain.

HF hunters biggest enemy with other hunters is themselves.

I don't care if people do it. It's just not how I prefer to hunt and it has nothing to do with the 3 reasons maximus posted....like the majority of people.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: SingleShot85] #7541975 06/25/19 06:21 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Replying to yourself?

Boom....

Boom what? His entire post was non-sensical and silly.

Chasing deer on 4 wheelers, hands up don't shoot, hunting areas are 1/2 to 1 acre in size, and 1 acre pens? And you "Boom" it?? Lolololol.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7541979 06/25/19 06:24 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Lol. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7541982 06/25/19 06:24 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Replying to yourself?

You know what escape means, you're not stupid. And you know the definition of fair chase. Means and methods and habitat improvement have nothing to do with confining an animal....you should know that as well.

Your explanation is the biggest reason people don't like HF. It's because they just won't admit it restricts deer movement, prevents them from escaping, and inhibits fair chase. They act like it's the same when it's clearly not to anyone with half a brain.

I don't care if people do it. It's just not how I prefer to hunt and it has nothing to do with the 3 reasons maximus posted....like the majority of people.

You’re part of the problem Doc.... you throw out insults to others that disagree with your opinion of fair chase.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7541991 06/25/19 06:32 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Replying to yourself?

Boom....

Chasing deer on 4 wheelers, hands up don't shoot, hunting areas are 1/2 to 1 acre in size, and 1 acre pens? And you "Boom" it?? Lolololol.

Ya because you missed the entire point. Tell me what escape means????

I never said it didn’t deter dispersal that’s the management point of it. Deterring dispersal is not preventing escape

If you can truly hunt fence line to fence line LF or HF you need to pick a safer spot to hunt.

Again tell me how a HF prevents a deer from escaping you....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7541998 06/25/19 06:41 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

You’re part of the problem Doc.... you throw out insults to others that disagree with your opinion of fair chase.....

Where was the insult in my post?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7541999 06/25/19 06:42 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Replying to yourself?

it’s point less, They are only here to insult and boost not to share, same methodology as always.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7542003 06/25/19 06:47 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Boom....

I never said it didn’t deter dispersal that’s the management point of it. Deterring dispersal is not preventing escape

If you can truly hunt fence line to fence line LF or HF you need to pick a safer spot to hunt.

Escape means what it means.....here's the definition for you:

Definition: es·cape

verb: escape; 3rd person present: escapes; past tense: escaped; past participle: escaped; gerund or present participle: escaping

1. break free from confinement or control.

So to answer your question...a HF prevents a deer from escaping confinement and control. That's how it prevents it. This is really elementary stuff guys....

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7542005 06/25/19 06:49 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Replying to yourself?

Boom....

How many acres you hunt at a time?
How do you hunt? Blind, tree, feeder, road/power line, draw?
Does animal stop and sit down at a fence if it’s being chased?

It’s Only silly because you refuse to accept a higher level view.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7542013 06/25/19 06:55 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

it’s point less, They are only here to insult and boost not to share, same methodology as always.

And the HF proponents do the same thing....look at Maximus post. I don't see PP saying anything to him about his "insults" or anyone else in this thread. HF hunters are like democrats....they want everyone to be allowed to have their own opinion (or hunting style), except when you disagree with theirs.

I already said I don't care if you want to hunt that way. No sweat off my back. Go buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it if you want to. But posts like Bobo's are exactly why people don't like it. LIke I said, HF hunters are their own worst enemy amongst other hunters because of the perception they create for themselves.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7542016 06/25/19 07:00 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Boom....

Escape means what it means.....here's the definition for you:

Definition: es·cape

verb: escape; 3rd person present: escapes; past tense: escaped; past participle: escaped; gerund or present participle: escaping

1. break free from confinement or control.

So to answer your question...a HF prevents a deer from escaping confinement and control. That's how it prevents it. This is really elementary stuff guys....

So you think regardless a deer is more confined then a person actively hunting? You must hunt differently then anyone in Texas or any where for that matter.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7542019 06/25/19 07:01 PM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Where was the insult in my post?

The insult was the TRUTH.....It hurts them to hear it.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: DocHorton] #7542028 06/25/19 07:11 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

And the HF proponents do the same thing....look at Maximus post. I don't see PP saying anything to him about his "insults" or anyone else in this thread. HF hunters are like democrats....they want everyone to be allowed to have their own opinion (or hunting style), except when you disagree with theirs.

I already said I don't care if you want to hunt that way. No sweat off my back. Go buy a deer and put it in your backyard and kill it if you want to. But posts like Bobo's are exactly why people don't like it. LIke I said, HF hunters are their own worst enemy amongst other hunters because of the perception they create for themselves.

Yelp HF guys go around blasting others hunts so bad they dont post here any more!!!!
Yelp HF guys do nothing but make comments about others deer/hunts being $$$$, penned, livestock etc

Post like mine are merely asking you to be honest about how and what can you truly hunt at one time... it’s pretty simple. In reference to escape, A hunter actively hunting is more confined then a deer, if a deer is more confined then the hunter then it’s a pen, big difference between a HF ranch and a Pen

I’m atleast honest with myself and understand parallels that make my hunts no better or more of an accomplishment then others. It’s equal in its own right, because it’s experience

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide