Forums46
Topics538,005
Posts9,731,692
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: freerange] #7541053 06/24/19 03:20 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by freerange
Dumb as dirt compared to yall gun nuts but im trying to learn. Is the safety issue with a too light trigger that it could go off without even touching the trigger or is it just a concern that you can get on the trigger without being ready to fire and it will go off unexpectedly. I have never had either issue with mine at 2.5.
The safety issue is with a potential slam fire (discharge when closing the bolt) or a bump fire (discharge from jarring the rifle). When I replace or adjust any trigger, I always spend several minutes working the bolt vigorously to see if I can make it fire without pulling the trigger. I'll also strike the butt of the rifle on the ground a few times to make sure it doesn't go off when jarred. And I'll definitely make sure the safety is working properly. Of course you'll do these with an empty chamber. And yes, I have set a trigger light enough to get slam fires. Had to go back in and increase the sear engagement slightly.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: cjs0134] #7541066 06/24/19 03:33 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
All my rifles wear Jewel triggers set at 1.5 lbs.

Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7541100 06/24/19 04:13 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
Dumb as dirt compared to yall gun nuts but im trying to learn. Is the safety issue with a too light trigger that it could go off without even touching the trigger or is it just a concern that you can get on the trigger without being ready to fire and it will go off unexpectedly. I have never had either issue with mine at 2.5.
The safety issue is with a potential slam fire (discharge when closing the bolt) or a bump fire (discharge from jarring the rifle). When I replace or adjust any trigger, I always spend several minutes working the bolt vigorously to see if I can make it fire without pulling the trigger. I'll also strike the butt of the rifle on the ground a few times to make sure it doesn't go off when jarred. And I'll definitely make sure the safety is working properly. Of course you'll do these with an empty chamber. And yes, I have set a trigger light enough to get slam fires. Had to go back in and increase the sear engagement slightly.

Texan, thanks for clarifying the safety issue. I love this forum cause I learn so much. I just hope I can return the good info flow from time to time with some insight of my own.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: cjs0134] #7541169 06/24/19 05:44 PM
T
TxHunter80 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
2 3/4 is about right for me. I have Timneys and they are all set at that. I like having the same trigger pull from gun to gun

Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: freerange] #7541242 06/24/19 06:56 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

Texan, thanks for clarifying the safety issue. I love this forum cause I learn so much. I just hope I can return the good info flow from time to time with some insight of my own.

True

Keep in mind, the aftermarket triggers are far safer at a light trigger setting than a Rem 700 trigger will ever be. Rem 700 triggers are so un-trustworthy that I take them out and throw them in the scap metal trailer. I've never had a slam fire, or heard of one from a factory Tikka trigger.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: wp75169] #7541245 06/24/19 07:00 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by wp75169
Originally Posted by snake oil
All my rifles are set at 2 lbs. For hunting and paper except my Marlin 1894.

https://www.wildwestguns.com/product/trigger-happy-kit/

That will fix the the 1894 up if you want to lighten it. A little polishing while it’s apart will get it even lower.

Thanks for the link. It currently has a gold trigger. Will it hurt the value with aftermarket trigger?

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Aftermarket or adjustable triggers [Re: J.G.] #7542916 06/26/19 10:07 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
1.5 pound on all my rifles

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide