Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539530 06/21/19 06:17 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
New thread, same ol HF haters

NP, bless your heart but you sound like a broke record. For years now. I hope you realize how little anyone else cares about your opinion. Keep explaining away, nobody cares.

[insert old man yelling at clouds meme]

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539574 06/21/19 07:34 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Lot of back roads in Texas that when I'm driving at night I am glad they are majority high fenced, at least near the highway, that keeps the deer off of the highway. Ask anyone who has hit an elk on 90, west of Sanderson, if they wish the Longfellow ranch would be high fenced.

I also wonder how many on here would turn down a free hunt on a HF ranch that needed to cull 150-180 (or whatever number) size bucks.

Last edited by deerfeeder; 06/21/19 07:37 PM.
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: maximus_flavius] #7539599 06/21/19 08:06 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
New thread, same ol HF haters

NP, bless your heart but you sound like a broke record. For years now. I hope you realize how little anyone else cares about your opinion. Keep explaining away, nobody cares.

[insert old man yelling at clouds meme]

I try real hard to never offend anyone on here so I will sometimes straddle the fence on a hot topic. I also hesitate to side with Nogalus on anything cause he tends to get bashed all too often and im way too thin skinned to wanna get lumped in with him. However, with due respect to Maximus I think to say that no one cares about Nogalus opinion is way way off base. First of all rather you agree with him or not he always explains himself with logic and detail and articulates it well, IMO. Also, his main opinion that seems so easy for some to jump on is that he is against HF, PERIOD. I haven't paid attention to this forum till recently but from what I can tell MOST of the forum members are against HF in some form but maybe not to the degree he does. So why wouldn't they want to hear his comments? It seems there are a FEW that type very loudly and very often while a LOT just type a quick sentence and go away. I listen to the loud typers as well as the soft typers because everyone's voice is important. Once again, I am not saying im for or against HF(too many variables) but I want to hear all sides of the debate as long as it can remain constructive and not a witch hunt/pissing match.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539607 06/21/19 08:28 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
After long and careful thought I have come to realize that the only folks that hate a HF are the ones that don't have one and wish they did.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: deerfeeder] #7539617 06/21/19 08:40 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
Lot of back roads in Texas that when I'm driving at night I am glad they are majority high fenced, at least near the highway, that keeps the deer off of the highway. Ask anyone who has hit an elk on 90, west of Sanderson, if they wish the Longfellow ranch would be high fenced.

I also wonder how many on here would turn down a free hunt on a HF ranch that needed to cull 150-180 (or whatever number) size bucks.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539618 06/21/19 08:41 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have no problem with HF ranches, I think they serve a purpose. There are folks out the with busy careers and don't have the time for a lease, but still want a chance at a decent buck. Or just no friends to hunt with. I don't hunt HF's and probably never will, but I have no problem with them. I do however have a problem with hunting deer in small 100-200 acre HF traps.
All that being said, about half my ranch is under HF.

Last edited by Stompy; 06/21/19 08:44 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539654 06/21/19 09:22 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There’s 3 types of HF haters

1). Those that are jealous.

2). Those that hunt small acreage & depend on the deer that stay on their neighbors place (98% of the time) to cross the low fence onto their piddlin place. Most of these pricks are fenceline hunters.

3). Crusty old curmudgeons who recall the glory days of their youth, when they could hunt a lot of property, before all these Dallas people showed up wantin to hunt. Hey you kids get off my lawn!

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539720 06/21/19 10:41 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Probably the bulk of the readers on here don't remember but the HF was started by ranchers to raise exotics. At that time there was a heck of a lot money made on exotics than on WT. I think it is coming back to that again. Then the freaky antlered WT boom started. Those that got in early made money. After a while that went away and along came CWD. That really threw everything upside down. I personally make at least 10 times the money off Ibex than I ever could off WT. I can sell Ibex females at 2 years old for over $2000. 4 year old males for $7500. And it doesn't take an arm and a leg to feed them. I think there are very few in the WT business are getting rich right now. You would be surprised how many are wanting to get out of it and are looking for an alternative to utilize the facilities they have in place. Blaming HF for your lack of hunting skills is playing on deaf ears. Go cry to your mother of wife. Maybe they will feel sorry for you.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: maximus_flavius] #7539791 06/22/19 01:04 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

2). Those that hunt small acreage & depend on the deer that stay on their neighbors place (98% of the time) to cross the low fence onto their piddlin place. Most of these pricks are fenceline hunters.

3). Crusty old curmudgeons who recall the glory days of their youth, when they could hunt a lot of property, before all these Dallas people showed up wantin to hunt. Hey you kids get off my lawn!

I think your 3 reasons are reasonably accurate but IMO you are leaving out at least one more type of HF haters and its the only one with merit. The one that sees HFs as a way to not give the deer a reasonable chance of escape. Fairchase, ethics, etc. This same type of HF hater really gets bothered if the enclosure is extremely small and/or the deer or not wild, ie the canned put and take situations. This is the category I fall into. I know these type operations are very rare compared to the whole and I know many HF ranches that are large and are run great and for all the right reasons. I have no issue with that. I have hunted one like that and I would again if it was big enough and the situation was right. I am NOT telling anyone what they can or cannot do but I am just saying that I do not think it helps the future of hunting when deer are hunted in a very small(cant say how big that is) enclosure or when the deer have been handled by humans and been around humans to the point that they are no longer WILD.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539827 06/22/19 02:15 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by fouzman
Ok, let's say TPWD, based on input from all stakeholders, decides no more high fences may be constructed on acreage less than _______ acres.

Assume everyone with fences previous to the new guidelines will be grandfathered.

What's the number?

-0-?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: maximus_flavius] #7539940 06/22/19 12:04 PM
S
SmallTownHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

And it seems like there is only one type of high fence "hunter". Lives in a subdivision, has huge ego, has spent as much time in the woods as my 12 yo nephew.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: soonersorlaters] #7539965 06/22/19 12:57 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Can we add a twist? If the deer are the property of the state and you elect to erect a high fence:

A) The state does a survey of deer populations within the confinements of the fence and the owner has to reimburse the state for the deer that are no longer considered "free range" / property of Texas.

B) The state removes "their" deer at the owners expense and the owner can then purchase the deer of their choice from a certified breeder.

Either election would mean that the state of Texas no longer has any say on harvest restrictions of said property, specific to WTD.

Did the state reimburse me for feeding their deer? Did the state reimburse me for supplying water to their deer? Does the state pay damages for accidents involving their deer? Don't tell me you own something and then do nothing to support it or the accept the responsibilities of owner ship.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7539968 06/22/19 01:12 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SmallTownHunter

And it seems like there is only one type of high fence "hunter". Lives in a subdivision, has huge ego, has spent as much time in the woods as my 12 yo nephew.

I hunted 10,000 acres that is high fence for four years. I've been hunting for 47 years. I try to stay humble...and try not to make insanely broad generalizations that show how ignorant I am.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7540065 06/22/19 05:10 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

We all have our opinions..... When it comes to ego, you insulting or labeling other hunters that legally hunt in a way you don't agree with is your ego out of control........ And now you might of had a friendship with another hunter that you won't now and for what? Feel better now?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540066 06/22/19 05:13 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Is this the cul-de-sac guy? Somebody on here really hates cul-de-sacs. cool2

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: SmallTownHunter] #7540180 06/22/19 10:24 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

That shows exactly how much you know.

Let the hate flow.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540211 06/23/19 12:13 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
for all of the "the state can't tell me what I can and can't build around my own private property", the state already regulates you more than you realize. why is it that they can tell you when you can shoot deer, with what kind of weapon, what sex they can be, and of those with antlers specifications on them? step back, put your own personal interest and thoughts on the HF debate aside and think about it....keep in mind, this is your own private property that you paid for and pay taxes on. there are also licensing fees for you to pay in order to have a booklet full of restrictions to follow on your own property.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: woodduckhunter] #7540373 06/23/19 11:18 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by woodduckhunter
for all of the "the state can't tell me what I can and can't build around my own private property", the state already regulates you more than you realize. why is it that they can tell you when you can shoot deer, with what kind of weapon, what sex they can be, and of those with antlers specifications on them? step back, put your own personal interest and thoughts on the HF debate aside and think about it....keep in mind, this is your own private property that you paid for and pay taxes on. there are also licensing fees for you to pay in order to have a booklet full of restrictions to follow on your own property.

Do you honestly think that property owners don’t know this?

Are you tryin to talk me into accepting MORE regulations on my own property?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540378 06/23/19 11:48 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
And hopefully the majority of people do actually realize that the entire state of Texas private land is not geared toward raising Whitetail Deer for their hunting pleasure. Or after reading a lot of post maybe they don't know this.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: don k] #7540401 06/23/19 01:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by don k
And hopefully the majority of people do actually realize that the entire state of Texas private land is not geared toward raising Whitetail Deer for their hunting pleasure. Or after reading a lot of post maybe they don't know this.

No, but a helluva lot of it is - more HF than anywhere on earth outside South Africa.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540416 06/23/19 01:51 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Texas is also one of the largest states and the first to start the practice so it should be expected they have more acres than any other state just common sense really nothing new.

I find this thread interesting when I compare it to today's politics.........throw out a hot topic that divides two sides and stir the pot........each side tries to win the argument at any cost.......and the end result is nothing changes except people who might of come together one day will not......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: woodduckhunter] #7540420 06/23/19 02:08 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by woodduckhunter

You mean licensing tax.....

So you want more regulations that will trickle down to all property rights including home ownership. You restrict pasture fence height, then you restrict materials, you then restrict residential heights, materials etc. You restrict acreage for HF, then you just defined LF rural acreage required to hunt, and that includes small game.

Today’s Hunting Regulations are a bye product of Wildlife recovery which where put into place to increase and recover numbers for sustainability. We are well past whitetail recovery, Infact many HF are in place to keep deer out more so then in.

Most of our laws are out dated, but in all forms they go back to one thing, sustainability. Reason why the 5 month plus MLD program is growing so exponentially, it’s common sense hunting built around and highly successful sustainability program that benefits all flora on the landscape/property, Something that the Article fails to mention...

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7540423 06/23/19 02:18 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Access to water has been my concern for me. I have always wondered what other game animals are affected besides deer when water sources are fenced with a high fence and no longer available to free range animals. I bring this up because I know of a specific fence erected along one side of a 16,000 acre ranch to purposely cut water sources off to a "Bad" neighbor's deer herd.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: HornSlayer] #7540426 06/23/19 02:28 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by HornSlayer
Access to water has been my concern for me. I have always wondered what other game animals are affected besides deer when water sources are fenced with a high fence and no longer available to free range animals. I bring this up because I know of a specific fence erected along one side of a 16,000 acre ranch to purposely cut water sources off to a "Bad" neighbor's deer herd.

Never thought about how high fences cut off water from free range animals. It is something to think about, especially in west Texas.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: HornSlayer] #7540432 06/23/19 02:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by HornSlayer

I don’t think I have ever been on a ranch of any size that didnt have a sustain water system(outside of extreme drought) in place including far west Texas. Cattle is still king in Texas. Not saying there isn’t just not the norm.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide