Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
High Fences Ad Nauseam #7538265 06/19/19 11:15 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Ok, let's say TPWD, based on input from all stakeholders, decides no more high fences may be constructed on acreage less than _______ acres.

Assume everyone with fences previous to the new guidelines will be grandfathered.

What's the number?

-0-?

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538273 06/19/19 11:21 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'd say to hell with TPWD and a man can build a fence as high as he damn well pleased on his own property.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 06/19/19 11:22 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538280 06/19/19 11:30 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My ranch is 1045 acres and I have some HF due to neighbors. I don't want to high fence my whole ranch. Good neighbors to the south and east, not so much to the west and north.
I have no opinion on a minimum size, each case is different.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538298 06/19/19 11:41 PM
W
woodduckhunter Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
W
piney woods, rolling plains, hill country? not very realistic to put a number out state wide. I'm not at all a fan of high fences, I deer hunt maybe 4 days a year, but I am totally against high fences as a view towards all hunters. But, I feel that private land owners should be able to construct a fence, wall, barrier, etc of a height that makes them happy, and keeps "their" deer in. I've actually considered and ran the numbers on building a high fence to keep deer out.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: woodduckhunter] #7538320 06/19/19 11:57 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
im gonna try to stay away from this one but I wish Fouzman would clarify more specifically what you want before this shoots off in every direction.
Do you want to know what TPWD likely WOULD do?
Do you want to know what we think TPWD SHOULD do?
Also, I know its hypothetical but its unrealistic to think they could keep a property owner from putting up a fence.
The more realistic possibility would be to outlaw hunting within a certain size enclosure.
Notice im not taking a stand on this but just trying to streamline the question a little.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538323 06/19/19 11:59 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
So no more high fencing your gardens to keep the deer & other destructive opportunist out of them.

Seems sooner or later land owner rights are going to be diminished to the point where nobody will want to.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: freerange] #7538369 06/20/19 01:20 AM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
im gonna try to stay away from this one but I wish Fouzman would clarify more specifically what you want before this shoots off in every direction.
Do you want to know what TPWD likely WOULD do?
Do you want to know what we think TPWD SHOULD do?
Also, I know its hypothetical but its unrealistic to think they could keep a property owner from putting up a fence.
The more realistic possibility would be to outlaw hunting within a certain size enclosure.
Notice im not taking a stand on this but just trying to streamline the question a little.

Nor am I. After reading all of the comments on the Hornography thread, I simply wanted to know if there would be an acceptable sized high-fenced ranch. Or is it -0-?

Nothing more or less. Tried to phrase the question so it wouldn't stir the masses. Impossible, I know.

My question was sincere.

p.s. - TPWD isn't going to make folks tear down existing fences.

Last edited by fouzman; 06/20/19 01:26 AM.
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538392 06/20/19 01:57 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Can we add a twist? If the deer are the property of the state and you elect to erect a high fence:

A) The state does a survey of deer populations within the confinements of the fence and the owner has to reimburse the state for the deer that are no longer considered "free range" / property of Texas.

B) The state removes "their" deer at the owners expense and the owner can then purchase the deer of their choice from a certified breeder.

Either election would mean that the state of Texas no longer has any say on harvest restrictions of said property, specific to WTD.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: 10 Gauge] #7538730 06/20/19 04:54 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I'd say to hell with TPWD and a man can build a fence as high as he damn well pleased on his own property.

I absolutely concur. Period. End of story.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: soonersorlaters] #7538743 06/20/19 05:06 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Can we add a twist? If the deer are the property of the state and you elect to erect a high fence:

A) The state does a survey of deer populations within the confinements of the fence and the owner has to reimburse the state for the deer that are no longer considered "free range" / property of Texas.

B) The state removes "their" deer at the owners expense and the owner can then purchase the deer of their choice from a certified breeder.

Either election would mean that the state of Texas no longer has any say on harvest restrictions of said property, specific to WTD.

I actually like this idea. Personally, I abhor High fences. At the same time, I don't think the Government should be able to tell a landowner what type of fence he can build or not build. This way, the landowner can build or not build as he see's fit, as long as he wants to pay for it.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538792 06/20/19 05:52 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
517 acres

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538919 06/20/19 08:47 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would build it 1/2" lower than the law stated, then their BS would not apply.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538936 06/20/19 09:12 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
That ship has sailed here in Texas.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538982 06/20/19 10:23 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It will never happen. And way after i am ashes if it does I feel sorry for all those that died protecting us from this kind of government then their deaths were for nothing.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7538986 06/20/19 10:27 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Come on deer season. I'm ready for the first freeze. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539284 06/21/19 12:58 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Sad that there are those out there that feel that they have some sort of right to tell others what they can and cannot do on their land.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: 10 Gauge] #7539289 06/21/19 01:06 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Yup...end of discussion....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: EddieWalker] #7539342 06/21/19 01:57 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by ErnestTBass

I absolutely concur. Period. End of story.

Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Sad that there are those out there that feel that they have some sort of right to tell others what they can and cannot do on their land.

A law like this would start a civil war in our state IMO. This is why I believe nothing is going to change the status quo. So why do we fight amongst ourselves about an issue that divides us that is here to stay? What good comes from it?
For those that wish this practice to become illegal, have you really considered the ramifications of trying to tear down fences on private property? There would be blood, and lots of it......and for what? To kill deer the way you want them killed?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539367 06/21/19 02:37 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Bag limits, seasons, no night hunting for deer, etc., etc., etc.

Breathless hyperbole aside, there are lots of restrictions on what you can do on your land just related to hunting. There are HF bans in many states out west and down south that are not exactly anti-property rights states. They just realize that the neighbors and others who pay for statewide game management through their tax and license $$$ have rights too.

None of that even counts property taxes, zoning in many cases, and all kinds of other restrictions non-hunting related related to property.

But it’s too late for Texas to change it. Too much land under HF at this point.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: don k] #7539378 06/21/19 02:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Yup...end of discussion....

Originally Posted by don k
It will never happen. And way after i am ashes if it does I feel sorry for all those that died protecting us from this kind of government then their deaths were for nothing.

+1

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7539380 06/21/19 02:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Bag limits, seasons, no night hunting for deer, etc., etc., etc.

Breathless hyperbole aside, there are lots of restrictions on what you can do on your land just related to hunting. There are HF bans in many states out west and down south that are not exactly anti-property rights states. They just realize that the neighbors and others who pay for statewide game management through their tax and license $$$ have rights too.

None of that even counts property taxes, zoning in many cases, and all kinds of other restrictions non-hunting related related to property.

But it’s too late for Texas to change it. Too much land under HF at this point.

This thread is about Texas, not other states. texas

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7539456 06/21/19 04:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im not sure what the OP wanted to get out of this thread but I don't think it was to rehash what I assume has been on many threads before. He started the thread with "So, lets say" so hes talking about a hypothetical question. Neither I nor the OP nor most of yall think this will happen. Because of that its been said that its not worth discussing and will further divide us and that may very well be true.
Im assuming the OP wanted to know our opinions on what would/should be considered fairchase or ethical hunting when hunting within an enclosure. If theres ever a survey that goes out to the public with a question of this nature then im sure the antis will fill it out and the non hunters may fill it out as well. Will you throw your survey away? Will you scribble in the margin "Hail Texas, F U and Remember the Alamo"? Or will you take a stab at a number of acres that seems ethical TO YOU? I am not sure the short answer not the long one for this situation but IMO we do not need to stick our head in the sand if we care about the future of hunting. I do not think HF will go away in Texas but I do know there are a lot of responsible Texans that love our hunting heritage and they are working hard to figure out a way to control what many would perceive as unethical "hunting" practices. I am NOT saying HF hunting is unethical at all but rather canned hunts or hunting tame deer is, IMO.
For what its worth im not strongly for or against HF but I do love Texas and property rights and Freedom and hunting.

Last edited by freerange; 06/21/19 04:23 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539458 06/21/19 04:24 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
IMO - canned hunting is an abomination. Most HF is not canned hunting. I still do not like HF. I won't HF my place. I could imagine it if I had terrible white trash neighbors lining my fence line with feeders and shooting everything that moved up and down my fence line, but in general I have no desire for a HF. All that said, I don't want the government sticking its nose in regarding what kind of fence I can build.

Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539473 06/21/19 04:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
To declare a size restriction on HF’ing is the same as declaring a hunting size on ANY rural unannexed property(which includes squirrels, skunks, raccoons, rats, possums etc). Laws should be made in reference to safety and sustainability. Not open ended theoretical mental gymnastics

If we want fair use of the people’s trust deer then we need todo away with license tags and go solely to biologist mandated landowner/property tag allotment. If you want more tags buy them from a neighbor, or increase carrying capacity.

Term Ethical, Is a worm hole with no bottom. The ethics discussion is an anti tool used to eliminate hunting all together. It started with Anti’s using hunters words for hound hunting and baiting. It has now moved through predator hunting/control legislation and trickle down to deer etc. It’s a trickle down effect. So while we all beat our fists and chastise each other from not hunting our way or projecting at others for potentially cheaping up our wall and gripe and grin egos, our hunting rights shrink.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: High Fences Ad Nauseam [Re: fouzman] #7539524 06/21/19 06:07 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
100,000 acre minimum

HF is BS

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide