texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Sam Lee, jerrywattson, Historyfan, Buckrough, RITX
65152 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 92,633
stxranchman 54,434
bill oxner 54,128
SnakeWrangler 45,013
RKHarm24 44,583
rifleman 44,426
BMD 41,029
Big Orn 37,484
txshntr 35,534
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics428,729
Posts9,230,866
Members65,152
Most Online16,728
Mar 25th, 2012
Print Thread
Plano Golf Course Coyote #7532277
06/11/19 02:40 PM
06/11/19 02:40 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
S
SenkoSamurai Online content OP
Bird Dog
SenkoSamurai  Online Content OP
Bird Dog
S

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
I take my dog on an evening walk every night just before the sun sets on Chase Oaks golf course. Ive done this for years with no problem. This sunday, out of the blue, my Staffordshire terrier/beagle mix was face to face with a coyote. I was frozen for a split second, then ran towards the two and used my "dad voice". The coyote retreated slowly at his own pace to the tree line (10 feet back) with hackles raised. He kept poking his head out of the trees watching us. After about 5 minutes of cooling down, yet remaining on high alert, I looked back at my 6 oclock and about 100 yds away he was back on the cart path. My dogs is 50--55 pounds and looked like the smaller of the two. Thankfully we managed to get out of there with no blood.

Side Question: Had I remembered my sidearm, and the two started to go at it, would I be allowed to defend my animal with the use of a sidearm within city limits or not?

Thanks, and be aware yall!

Last edited by SenkoSamurai; 06/11/19 02:47 PM.
Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532345
06/11/19 03:36 PM
06/11/19 03:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 893
Johnson co, TX
R
rickt300 Offline
Tracker
rickt300  Offline
Tracker
R

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 893
Johnson co, TX
A wrist rocket sling shot might just be the perfect coyote respect maker! I would have reported the coyote incident to the animal control people or the police.

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532350
06/11/19 03:38 PM
06/11/19 03:38 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6,150
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Double Naught Spy  Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 6,150
Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
If you saw a coyote that was more than 50-55 lbs, then you likely didn't see a coyote. More than likely it was a coydog mix, not a coyote, or very unlikely a coywolf mix. Actual coyotes are usually no more than 40 lbs.

If you are legal to carry, you should ALWAYS have your sidearm.

By Texas law, you can protect your dog from an actual coyote attack. That is not to say that the City of Plano doesn't have some sort of regulation, however.


Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532422
06/11/19 04:43 PM
06/11/19 04:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
S
SenkoSamurai Online content OP
Bird Dog
SenkoSamurai  Online Content OP
Bird Dog
S

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
Edit: The sighting was reported to animal control. Also my dog is a shorter/obese ball of love. This coyote was average size I would say, just looked bigger as his legs were longer than my dogs. If I had not been in fight or flight mode he probably would've been around that 40lb mark. His hair all puffed up probably added a few pounds to my opinion as well. Just a full grown male coyote for sure. But brave/brazen as can be!

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532486
06/11/19 06:05 PM
06/11/19 06:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,898
Lewisville, TX
C
ChadTRG42 Online happy
THF Celebrity
ChadTRG42  Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,898
Lewisville, TX
Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
would I be allowed to defend my animal with the use of a sidearm within city limits or not?


Heck yes! Our former governor Rick Perry did it!

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/opinion/2010/04/28/rick-perry-drop



Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532505
06/11/19 06:36 PM
06/11/19 06:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
S
SenkoSamurai Online content OP
Bird Dog
SenkoSamurai  Online Content OP
Bird Dog
S

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
Looks like I have a round with that coyotes name on it now. Thanks chad! Not looking forward to the paperwork and mess that would come after. Hopefully never happens again, my stomach was in my throat. Thanks Chad!

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532525
06/11/19 07:06 PM
06/11/19 07:06 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 206
R
Red Pill Online content
Woodsman
Red Pill  Online Content
Woodsman
R

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 206
There's probably not a golf course in Texas that doesn't have coyotes on it.

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7532677
06/11/19 10:24 PM
06/11/19 10:24 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,165
Mason, TX
M
mikei Online content
Extreme Tracker
mikei  Online Content
Extreme Tracker
M

Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 4,165
Mason, TX
Because you're in the MetroMess, I'd suggest you carry both a lethal and non-lethal form of protection. There's just no telling how much doo-doo you might have to go through if you exercised your legal right to protect your property from predation! You would probably win, but chances are, you'd be a lot poorer by the time the bleeding hearts got done with you. A bit of long range pepper spray, like bear spray, or the suggested sling shot would provide your dog some protection while keeping you from becoming embroiled in what could be a very expensive and time-consuming legal battle with the cretins who have invaded city hall in Plano.

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: mikei] #7533055
06/12/19 02:16 PM
06/12/19 02:16 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
S
SenkoSamurai Online content OP
Bird Dog
SenkoSamurai  Online Content OP
Bird Dog
S

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
Originally Posted by mikei
Because you're in the MetroMess, I'd suggest you carry both a lethal and non-lethal form of protection. There's just no telling how much doo-doo you might have to go through if you exercised your legal right to protect your property from predation! You would probably win, but chances are, you'd be a lot poorer by the time the bleeding hearts got done with you. A bit of long range pepper spray, like bear spray, or the suggested sling shot would provide your dog some protection while keeping you from becoming embroiled in what could be a very expensive and time-consuming legal battle with the cretins who have invaded city hall in Plano.


Mike, I believe you are right. I was looking at some bear spray yesterday and will most likely resort to that. Like you said, a lot easier and cheaper than arguing with a bunch of puppets.

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7533370
06/12/19 07:12 PM
06/12/19 07:12 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,277
In the duck blind...
C
cannon88 Online content
Veteran Tracker
cannon88  Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,277
In the duck blind...
Add frisbee golf courses to the list of coyote hangouts. laugh I was out with my lab at night in the frisbee golf course fields behind my house, when 2 coyotes came out of the woods and walked about 15 yards in front of us like we weren't even there. Never paid us any attention. Had a sidearm, but no need as my lab didn't bark or even motion at them. It was weird, like I was the only one in the group paying attention. Lol


texas
Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7533401
06/12/19 07:33 PM
06/12/19 07:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 206
R
Red Pill Online content
Woodsman
Red Pill  Online Content
Woodsman
R

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 206
Anywhere you have any brushy, wild area, or even much in the way of grassy area, you're going to have coyotes.

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7533416
06/12/19 07:59 PM
06/12/19 07:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,277
In the duck blind...
C
cannon88 Online content
Veteran Tracker
cannon88  Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,277
In the duck blind...
Just odd to see in a 30 year old neighborhood in Fort Worth.


texas
Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7533484
06/12/19 09:41 PM
06/12/19 09:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
S
SenkoSamurai Online content OP
Bird Dog
SenkoSamurai  Online Content OP
Bird Dog
S

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 317
Plano, TX
Yeah cannon, chase oaks is an old neighborhood as well. And there is always dogs being walked on it around dusk and early morning. Going the slingshot and bear spray route, and a glock for anything beyond those dangers.

Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7533682
06/13/19 02:41 AM
06/13/19 02:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,973
bastrop county
C
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
colt45  Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,973
bastrop county
Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
I take my dog on an evening walk every night just before the sun sets on Chase Oaks golf course. Ive done this for years with no problem. This sunday, out of the blue, my Staffordshire terrier/beagle mix was face to face with a coyote. I was frozen for a split second, then ran towards the two and used my "dad voice". The coyote retreated slowly at his own pace to the tree line (10 feet back) with hackles raised. He kept poking his head out of the trees watching us. After about 5 minutes of cooling down, yet remaining on high alert, I looked back at my 6 oclock and about 100 yds away he was back on the cart path. My dogs is 50--55 pounds and looked like the smaller of the two. Thankfully we managed to get out of there with no blood.

Side Question: Had I remembered my sidearm, and the two started to go at it, would I be allowed to defend my animal with the use of a sidearm within city limits or not?

Thanks, and be aware yall!

IF an leo, was in the mix, you could be cited for firearm discharge in city limits, if no witness's were involved, you might get a pass


hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Plano Golf Course Coyote [Re: SenkoSamurai] #7533711
06/13/19 03:35 AM
06/13/19 03:35 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 45,013
Over yonder.....
S
SnakeWrangler Online content
THF Celebrity
SnakeWrangler  Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 45,013
Over yonder.....
SSS...


Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Milf does the trick.

"You're statistically more likely to be killed by Hillary Clinton than an NRA member. - PolitiDiva

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1