Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes #7530025 06/08/19 06:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I'm starting to wonder if the recent buzz on not killing poisonous/venomous snakes is something that California transplants brought with them. I noticed comments on a local FB page where a woman was scolding someone for mentioning the old phrase, "Red touch yellow, kill the fellow" because it was not always accurate. She noted that the Shovel-nosed Snake, which lives in far western states, doesn't follow the rule. I'll try to remember that the next time I visit California.

Now as for poisonous vs venomous, doesn't it really make a difference if the toxin is ingested or injected? The end result is often very much the same.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/08/19 06:17 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530033 06/08/19 06:49 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
My grandfather was born and raised in east Texas if it was around the house and wasnt venomous he let it be. Probably the internet showing you an opinion out of your bubble.

Now if you're calling snakewrangler a California hippie I'd hide he's large.

Last edited by ducknbass; 06/08/19 06:49 PM.
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: ducknbass] #7530063 06/08/19 07:52 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ducknbass
My grandfather was born and raised in east Texas if it was around the house and wasnt venomous he let it be.

Agreed, with the exception of chicken snakes that I simply don't like laying around the place.

Now as for any snake near house, home, or ranch that's capable of injecting anyone with a toxin, I'm about as likely to "relocate" it as I am a wasp nest.

As for attacking someone for posting that well-known rhyme for identifying coral snakes, they have the most potent venom of any snake in North America and the 8th most potent venom in the world. I don't care how difficult it is for one to bite you, I'm not leaving its head attached when I see one.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/08/19 08:03 PM.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530092 06/08/19 08:58 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's very simple, every snake is beneficial to the ecosystem and a lot of people realize that. Personally, I don't care if people kill venomous (yep, I said it) snakes when they encounter them, that's none of my business. If I run across them out roaming around and they're no threat to me, I generally won't mess with them unless it's a rattlesnake that's big enough to make it worth eating.
Around my house, if it's not an immediate threat to my family or dog, I'll contact a guy in my neighborhood who relocates them if he's immediately available. Otherwise I'll kill it and not worry about it.
**Not from California and not a hippy**

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530099 06/08/19 09:04 PM
TCM3 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If i know it is venomous its dead ASAP. If there is any doubt it might not be NON venomous, i kill it. But i take no chances since my nieces and nephews run around the place.
Usually if its a rat snake, i carry it off in the woods.

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530117 06/08/19 09:40 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I'm starting to wonder if the recent buzz on not killing poisonous/venomous snakes is something that California transplants brought with them. I noticed comments on a local FB page where a woman was scolding someone for mentioning the old phrase, "Red touch yellow, kill the fellow" because it was not always accurate. She noted that the Shovel-nosed Snake, which lives in far western states, doesn't follow the rule. I'll try to remember that the next time I visit California.

Now as for poisonous vs venomous, doesn't it really make a difference if the toxin is ingested or injected? The end result is often very much the same.

There is definitely a difference on venomous and poisonous. they are not synonymous with each other.
It's not hard to get right, do you wanna call it correctly or sound ignorant?

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: KWood_TSU] #7530119 06/08/19 09:43 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Nope, no desire to appear more intelligent than most folks. But then, isn't the appearance of being ahead of the crowd what Californians and many of those on the Worst Coast feel they do best?

It's only been within the last few years and mostly in print that I've seen people use the word "venomous" to describe a snake. They've always been called "poisonous" as far back as I can remember. I had to smile when I noticed a local TV station had used the word "poisonous" to describe a snake. Wonder how many emails they got about that.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/08/19 09:58 PM.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530124 06/08/19 10:00 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I believe in general that all critters deserve our respect and a place in our environment. However if they pose a threat they face a consequence. Snakes are essential to the balance of nature. venom snakes are not welcome around my home and are eliminated. Porcupines are also not allowed where my pets roam.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530133 06/08/19 10:35 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Nope, no desire to appear more intelligent than most folks. But then, isn't the appearance of being ahead of the crowd what Californians and many of those on the Worst Coast feel they do best?

It's only been within the last few years and mostly in print that I've seen people use the word "venomous" to describe a snake. They've always been called "poisonous" as far back as I can remember. I had to smile when I noticed a local TV station had used the word "poisonous" to describe a snake. Wonder how many emails they got about that.

I'm 54 and I've seen, heard, read, and used "venomous" to describe snakes since I was a kid.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530136 06/08/19 10:39 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

I don't know. My stepdad loved snakes and all kinds of critters. A little background on him- the only rifles he owned were varmint rifles. Remington bolt guns in .222 and .22/250 and a old black nylon. Blue collar guy, custom knife maker, day job at a large scrap yard. Not a "hippie" by any stretch. But he damn sure loved his snakes and could tell them apart at a glance, what kind of snakes they were. I never personally saw him kill a snake. Early 90's so I guess california hippies were here by then but their influence hadn't touched Seagoville. So there's that.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 06/08/19 10:39 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530137 06/08/19 10:40 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I do not care what anybody else does. That os there business. Snakes at our place. the only ones I have ever seen are rattlesnakes, they get killed. At home, my wife will kill any and all snakes.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530149 06/08/19 10:56 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Rattlesnakes and coral snakes get sent to where ever their heaven is. All others roam free around here.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530157 06/08/19 11:07 PM
218 Bee Offline
Tracker
Tracker

We got the privilege of doctoring our dogs for snakebite three times last year and that was right here in the yards and kennel. I think my rattlesnake body count wound up at 11 before cold weather finally quieted things down.

Did it make a difference? We'll see...but so far this year we've only killed one diamondback (and it was down the county road a couple of miles). A good-sized bull snake crawled up on the east porch the other evening and I scooped him up and put him outside the fence. Make no mistake, anything that eats rodents is my buddy (providing, of course, that they don't pose another LARGER threat)!

Around here, EVERY venomous snake gets a face-full of 9's (or a shovel, or rock, or whatever else happens to be handy). Everyone else is entitled to do as THEY please on their own property.

Mark

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: KWood_TSU] #7530170 06/08/19 11:21 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

There is definitely a difference on venomous and poisonous. they are not synonymous with each other.

is it a mag or a clip

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Grizz] #7530175 06/08/19 11:24 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Grizz

I'm 54 and I've seen, heard, read, and used "venomous" to describe snakes since I was a kid.
I am 78, always heard poisonous. yes venomous is correct, does it REALLY matter all that much.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530179 06/08/19 11:31 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I give all snakes a pass, unless poisonous and aggressive around the house.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: colt45-90] #7530204 06/08/19 11:54 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by colt45

I am 78, always heard poisonous. yes venomous is correct, does it REALLY matter all that much.

I personally don't care what anyone calls it, I was just responding to the statement that it has only come up in the last few years.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530206 06/08/19 11:54 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Hmmmmm...

Crotalid venom is most a complex mix of proteins and polypeptides. You can drink (ingest) it as long as you don't have any open wounds in the mouth or digestive system. It will simply digest, sort of like eating raw egg. If injected, it can do terrible things, but otherwise, it digests quite well. Raw egg is composed of a lot of proteins, polypeptides, vitamins, minerals, and fat. It digests as well, but injecting it would be very dangerous.

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/venomous_snake_faqs.shtml

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530234 06/09/19 12:40 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
5th generation Texan raised to respect and appreciate all of nature....never killed a snake on purpose....

Has nothing to do with californification….or anywhere else...... 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530323 06/09/19 03:12 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Saw 3 yesterday. Only one was a rattler. We didn’t bother each other.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530366 06/09/19 09:21 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Poisonous, it dies. Maybe poisonous, it dies. For sure not poisonous, it lives.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: DUKFVR] #7530435 06/09/19 01:24 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
I give all snakes a pass, unless poisonous and aggressive around the house.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Grizz] #7530502 06/09/19 03:05 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Yeah, I mean, it doesn’t really bother me, but since it came up, the correct term is venomous.

Just because people have been wrong on something for a long time doesn’t mean they’re not wrong.

And, as was described above, you actually can drink venom and not be affected, although I wouldn’t try it.

Again, no skin off my back, because I know what people mean when they say poisonous instead of venomous, but venomous is correct.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530503 06/09/19 03:08 PM
M
Mad Max Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I let non-venomous snakes be, I enjoy watching bull snakes and coachwhips in action. I also leave coral snakes alone because you have to be either incredibly stupid or suicidal to be actually bit and envenomated by one.

Rattlesnakes and water moccasins are killed if they're in an area where I or other people are likely to encounter them again.

In other words, my attitude towards snakes is the same as toward any wild animal: kill them if they're of some actual use to you dead or if they're some threat to you (or other people, or livestock) alive. That's not California hipster, that's just common sense. I never saw the point in killing another living thing just for the sake if killing it.

Re: Most Texans pride themselves on killing snakes [Re: Texas Dan] #7530521 06/09/19 03:39 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’ll kill one just to watch it die. People that say they don’t kill rattlesnakes around their house don’t live where there’s many rattlesnakes around their house.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide