Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Torn Rotator Surgery #7527083 06/04/19 09:31 PM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked OP
"The Guardian"
OP Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
Is it worth it? I ran into a lady that had surgery and she was in a ton of pain. I am not sure that i want to go through that, but lately I haven't been able to sleep at night. tossing and turning, waking up in pain.
I have been to the dr and have had the shots, pain pills and such. But they don't help anymore.

Would you all go through that?

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527096 06/04/19 09:41 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
Once you get to the point where you don't want to deal with the pain anymore you will go see the surgeon

So far:

right shoulder replaced 2011- took 1 year to fully rehab - works good now no pain

Both knees partial knee replacement surgery 2-weeks ago probably looking at 6mo+ rehab

left shoulder -?

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527099 06/04/19 09:43 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Mine subsided. I went in to schedule the surgery, showed him my range of motion and he said he really didn't know if he could improve upon that and that I would hate him for 6 weeks of recovery.

If you're pain isn't showing any signs of going away or lessening, I don't know what other choice you have, besides staying pickled all the time, and that ain't good for your health.

The surgeon said 50% of people over 60 have torn rotator cuffs.

I do some very minimal head, neck and shoulder stretches almost every day. It'll probably come back, but I am very thankful that it's not bothering me right now. There are other pains to play "whack-a-mole" with.

'Hope you get some relief.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527105 06/04/19 09:49 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Had it done in 1994 or 1995 and glad I did. Had very limited mobility with my right arm and if I pushed it, dang it barked loud. Surgery was easy about two hours I think. The rehab was a beating though nuts

texas flag

Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527306 06/05/19 01:56 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I feel your pain! Mine will get bad for a while and eventually ease up. When it's bad laying down is out of the question. What sleep I get is sitting up in a chair. Doc says the MRI looks like a train wreck, I told him it feels like one too. At 64 I'm still not ready to go under the knife but I'm sure it's in my future.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527352 06/05/19 02:36 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I have a torn rotator cuff but my pain was actually coming from tendon impingement syndrome. The muscle tear caused me to compensate and in turn created inflammation in the shoulder. It was really bad at night. Had it shot up with steroids a couple of times but got no relief. Did some physical therapy with no results there either. Was ready for surgery and someone recommended a gal that does active release therapy. It is extreme and targeted message therapy. It was amazing the relief I got. She really knew her stuff. I probably had 8-10 sessions and the pain left. I felt like Kenneth Copeland had faith healed me. Now I'm just careful with that shoulder not to overdo it and I've been pain free. I would check into it before committing to surgery to see if it might help. Your situation might be different. Good luck.

Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527367 06/05/19 02:46 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by kwrhuntinglab
Is it worth it? I ran into a lady that had surgery and she was in a ton of pain. I am not sure that i want to go through that, but lately I haven't been able to sleep at night. tossing and turning, waking up in pain.
I have been to the dr and have had the shots, pain pills and such. But they don't help anymore.

Would you all go through that?

Both shoulders. When you get tired of hurting you'll go get it fixed, then you'll throw your knee out trying to kick yourself in the arse for not doing it sooner. No rehab with either of mine so I kept things moving pretty good so I didn't lose range of motion. My right shoulder is 100% the left about 80%, had another surgery on the left not rotater related.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527614 06/05/19 01:57 PM
kwrhuntinglab Online Shocked OP
"The Guardian"
OP Online Shocked
"The Guardian"
That's what I am thinking in my head.....when I get tired of hurting I will get it fixed. Thankfully it is my left shoulder and not my right.

Spend time with the ones you love. Time is not guaranteed.
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7527670 06/05/19 02:47 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
If you have not tried a cortisone shot yet, do it and rehab first. That bought me almost 10 years before I went in for a scope job. That got me about 10 more then had a full rebuild with bicep muscle relocation. I have good range of motion but still have problems with it but not bad enough to do a replacement. As for pain after the surgery, I was hurting so bad before the surgery, all I needed for pain after was ice and Advil.

Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7528188 06/06/19 01:05 AM
J
jakebunch Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Have had both of them worked on for bone spurs-not muscle or ligaments, which is more invasive and requires considerably more time for rehabbing. The most pain I had was the day after getting home from the surgery, which is out patient. The pain medication from the hospital keeps the pain at bay but when it wears out, look out!

I was to the point where I could not do what I wanted to before surgery, and as the doc says "you will tell me when it is time for surgery." I am glad that both of them were worked on as I am very pleased with the results and other than that hellacious day after getting home, all has been better than before surgery.

Good luck and the physical therepy was beneficial in my recovery.

Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7529344 06/07/19 05:06 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I've had it done once and am about to have it done again. Like said above, the pain is so bad before surgery that the pain in recovery really isn't that bad. It's the arm in the sling that I hated. You don't realize just how much you use two hands...buttoning pants, putting on socks, etc.

Haven't scheduled the second one yet. My doctor is telling me about some great progress with stem cell injections so we're going to give that try first. Not covered by insurance and not cheap, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take to avoid another 6 weeks in a sling.

[Linked Image]
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7529476 06/07/19 08:16 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
For me, the pain was pretty darn bad before the surgery. I had to get it fixed. Damage, once they got in there, was worse than expected, so they opened me up. Outpatient surgery, and all was semi Ok till the big pain blockers wore off. Then, per the wife, I was making a high pitched constant noise like a steam whistle and in huge pain. She got more big drugs, but I hurt for quite a while. Then, after 6 weeks, I went to rehab, and brother...that really hurt. Tears even.

But, after a full year, I was 100% Ok. But it took a year. Hopefully nobody will have the damage I had.

I suffered, but I’m glad I did it.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Torn Rotator Surgery [Re: kwrhuntinglab] #7529823 06/08/19 12:16 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I had it done quite a while back. It’s a bitch but so is the pain before.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide