Print Thread
Opinions on Protein #7527889 06/05/19 07:10 PM
B
Bross0 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Looking at feeding Purina brand Antler Advantage 20%. Anyone used this mix before? Results?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7527891 06/05/19 07:14 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Have fed a purina 20% in the past.

To me weather feeding protein is worth it or not is what you want to get out of it. Its not going to turn 120's into 150's

We feed it as an attractant, general benefit of the deer, and knowing in good times and bad we wont have deer with ribs and hips etc. sticking out. Even in doubt years we have many does that raise healthy fawns and even twins. Worth it to us.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7527894 06/05/19 07:19 PM
W
westtexaswatkins Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I use the Antler max 20% not the Antler Advantage. When I compared them there wasn't a whole lot of difference. What I have noticed on my place is the body weights on the deer have appeared to increase even on the younger deer. My deer herd looked pretty good even during last years drought in my area. I'm happy with the results and only have been feeding for two years.

Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7528484 06/06/19 02:24 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Whatever protein pellet the deer will eat will help.

I've been using antlermax for years, deer on our places eat it well, filled the feeder at ranch HQ with the antleradvantage those deer don't seem to care for it, have eaten very little of it, not quite half of the fill.
Whereas the feeders a mile up the road filled with antlermax at the same time are ready to be filled again.

Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7528538 06/06/19 03:14 PM
T
Trash Fish and Cull Bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Unless you have a well-developed buck age structure in place already (few places do), it's a complete waste of time and money. All of the feeding in the world won't turn a 3 year old into a 6 year old. So, you can spend thousands of dollars on feed, which will make the does, pigs, coons, and squirrels happy, and may add 3-5 inches on a juvenile deer, but that's about it. You can potentially elevate the fawn crop with protein, but, most area have too many deer now, which cause nutrient deficiency and habitat degradation (which is most likely why you want to try protein). Remember, deer didn't evolve eating pelleted feed. If things are managed correctly, it's not needed. More than likely there are more important aspects of deer management you should implement (density control, improving the sex ratio, increasing the buck age structure, habitat management) and not worry about feeding (which tends to make things worse).

The recreational value of game is inverse to the artificiality of its origin - Aldo Leopold
Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7528554 06/06/19 03:44 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Feed it if you can afford it!
If you stay dedicated to feeding protein it will increase body weight and size, as well as help with antler growth in your deer.
How much it will help depends on a lot of other factors, but it can't hurt anything.
Deep pockets helps!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7528560 06/06/19 03:57 PM
B
Bross0 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
This will be my fourth year on the place and we have only collectively shot two bucks close to 130". The place wasn't managed at all prior to us getting on, so it has been an uphill climb on getting a decent ratio, but we're almost there. Doe management has been good each year as well as shooting bucks that need to be culled. We're hoping to eventually get to seeing a 140"-150" somewhat regularly, as we know more than that is gonna happen by shear luck only at our place and we're ok with that. Just hoping protein, which we have fed going on 3 years including the upcoming year, will add those inches. We're switching to Purina after using what was a feed for cattle that was a 20% protein mix well and the deer hammered it. It tasted a little like peanut butter LOL. So they should eat it, just wanna know if this brand in particular has helped with what I mentioned anywhere else.

Thank y'all!

Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7528565 06/06/19 04:12 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Antler Max is the only protein the deer will eat on our place in King County and has been the the same on other leases in that part of the country I've been on. You have to be dedicated long term. Patient to allow the deer to age (5, 6, 7 years old). Motivated enough to kill enough animals to keep your carrying capacity at the right levels. IE you don't want to be feeding a dozen 3 year old 8 points and one 3 year old 10+ point. Bottom line it's not the magic pill and it takes $$$, patience and dedication so in closing, you'll need to have a long term solution to the place you're hunting on.

Last edited by tShawnB; 06/06/19 04:15 PM.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7528635 06/06/19 05:47 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have a neighbor. For probably over 5 years now he feeds protein free choice and cotton seed in the winter and spring. And he feeds all they want. Personally I see no difference in antler size from the deer I have. His body weights may be a little more than mine but not really that much.

Re: Opinions on Protein [Re: Bross0] #7537741 06/19/19 03:31 AM
H
hunting_guy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
Protein works (AntlerMax included), as long as all of the other pieces are in place. Age, carrying capacity, environment, management, water, and genetics all play a role.

You can't argue the fact that antlers grow from calcium, minerals, and nutrients. If you feed protein, cottonseed, and have supplemental food plots/minerals year round, your bucks will recover faster post rut and dedicate more nutrients to antler growth quicker in the year. Your does will produce more milk, which in turn produces healthier fawns. If you don't have age structure in place first, it will obviously take a few years longer to see results that will justify the cost.

I've seen first hand the effects of a high fence place that fed protein year around for 8 years, then stopped for 4 years. The bucks' average score declined dramatically. I started managing it again about two years ago and in just a year of feeding free choice cottonseed and protein and planting food plots with a mixture of purple top turnips, oats, austrian winter peas, and clover... average score has increased fairly dramatically.

Having fresh water available close to food sources that you can keep filled will also assist tremendously.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide