Print Thread
Every year i just keep upgrading. #7517578 05/22/19 01:46 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Hunting is not a cheap sport. 8 or 10 years ago when I decided it was time to start hunting i realized that very quickly. I try every year to make a major purchase (thousand or more). Over the years i find myself upgrading everything and fine tuning.

My first 2 to 3 years was buying guns and spending time at the range. I eventually went from a 556. To 6.8 on the AR. Then i went from an m1a to a sako bolt action for deer. After that it went to clothes, boots, backpacks, bipods, binoculars and ground blinds etc etc. Upgrading and fine tuning seems to be the norm for me

Last year my major purchase was to upgrade my scope on the AR to a high quality scope and i wanted more magnification. This year i am doing the same to my deer rifle. Upgrading my scope for more magnification and higher quality glass.

Now its time to spend more time at the range with my new equipment. I'm almost there and having everything the way i want it. It has finally taken me 8 years.

Did everybody go through this process of upgrades? Or am i a snob who wants everything to be perfect?

GO TRUMP!
Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Bigfoot] #7517640 05/22/19 02:47 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I like to think of it as customizing the gear to my needs as opposed to snobbery upgrades. There is nothing wrong with having gear as you like it and it does what you need it to do. If you buy simply for the name brand, then they might be snobbish.

I have made several such improvements over the years, but at the same time, there are things I have that haven't needed alteration and have remained the same for the last couple of decades.

When it comes to optics, I have never had a sight picture that was too clear. When it comes to firearms, I have never had one that was too accurate or too reliable. I have never had a trigger that was too good.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Bigfoot] #7518471 05/23/19 05:16 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
It's easy to enjoy nice things. It's as simple as that.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: syncerus] #7519299 05/24/19 06:59 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
If you want to hunt at a high level then likely you will keep upgrading. I am "all in" on hunting mature Trophy WTs and somewhat of a perfectionist that enjoys the "process" as much as the hunt so I have spent a ton of money in my life to upgrade/tweak. However, all the gear that really matters to me i pretty much got it "good enough" a long time ago. If your gear is good enough to kill the kind of animal you want when you want then no amount of upgrade will kill him any deader(except someone on here says a Weatherby does that.) Rifle setup, binos, spotter, backpack, shooting sticks, tripod, clothing, stands, vehicle etc im pretty much set but still tweak. Now camera, that's another story, still learning what I need/want. One piece of advice I just learned two days ago from QSYB is "buy once cry once." If you know you are in it for the long run instead of just a hobby du jour then buy quality up front. Of course most of us require a long learning curve to know whats quality and whats not. I wish I had this forum to learn from when I first started and QSYB advise. As usual, my 2cents.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Bigfoot] #7519706 05/25/19 12:02 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s all a part of the process and the fun. I’m pretty much done with my hunting gear acquisitions - certainly on a big scale. I’ve just got everything I need. I’ve actually sold quite a bit of excess gear over the past few years, and plan on selling more (clothes and boots mostly).

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7519890 05/25/19 05:43 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Nogalus, what size boots you might sell? Seriously, I may come to your garage sale.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: freerange] #7521363 05/28/19 02:59 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by freerange
Nogalus, what size boots you might sell? Seriously, I may come to your garage sale.

PM sent.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Bigfoot] #7521384 05/28/19 03:59 AM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Thankfully I'm good friends with a couple of outfitters and several guides. I just ask them what to buy and get it over with. Sometimes their recommendations cost me a lot and other times they give me some bargain basement recommendations. I do use their discounts where possible which does help. No complaints on my end so far.

For 2019 I do have a few items on my update list. I just upgraded my glassing seat. I went from a lightweight tripod stool to a Helinox Chair Zero. Saves me 6 ounces and hopefully will be more comfortable when glassing from dawn to dusk. I will be upgrading my phone to better take advantage of my Swaro STX 65/95 when it comes to digi-scoping. And lastly I will be upgrading the scope on the Tikka T3X that I just won. The phone will be taken care of from a business perspective and I will see about leveraging a friend's discount on the scope.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7521579 05/28/19 03:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by AZ_Hunter_2000
Thankfully I'm good friends with a couple of outfitters and several guides. I just ask them what to buy and get it over with. Sometimes their recommendations cost me a lot and other times they give me some bargain basement recommendations. I do use their discounts where possible which does help. No complaints on my end so far.

For 2019 I do have a few items on my update list. I just upgraded my glassing seat. I went from a lightweight tripod stool to a Helinox Chair Zero. Saves me 6 ounces and hopefully will be more comfortable when glassing from dawn to dusk. I will be upgrading my phone to better take advantage of my Swaro STX 65/95 when it comes to digi-scoping. And lastly I will be upgrading the scope on the Tikka T3X that I just won. The phone will be taken care of from a business perspective and I will see about leveraging a friend's discount on the scope.

AZ, curious about the Helinox chair. I use something I think I got from REI many years ago. I use for spot and stalk hunting. I didn't research much then and I havent now but I didn't think you could get lighter or more compact but Helinox has it I guess. With mine it puts you almost touching the ground with your rear and not that comfy. I looked up the Helinox and if its sturdy it looks much better than what ive got. It I want an improvement should I trust you've researched or could there be something even better out there? Sorry OP if this is a little off course but I learn my best stuff on forum when it shoots off a little.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: freerange] #7521866 05/28/19 11:23 PM
A
AZ_Hunter_2000 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
FreeRange, I saw one in action this past January while hunting Coues in Mexico. The guide using it recommended it so I figured why not give it a try. Worst case is I use it for concerts, festivals, or camping. So I took advantage of REI's sale this past weekend to get it for 25% off.

For what I hunt, there is no single solution that covers everything. I use a cutoff portion from a Thermarest Z-Lite pad for going after black bear. For deer I use my glassing stool. I always have the cutoff Z-Lite pad with me since I will also use it as a rear rest and/or a makeshift shooting mat (better than laying down on ground covered in cholla - which I have had to do before).

Broken down the Helinox is 1/2 the length and the same circumference as my glassing stool. The positives are weight savings, hopefully more comfort (stool hurts the "boys" after awhile), and more room in my pack. The potential negatives are closer to the ground (cactus spines), stability on uneven terrain, sinking in the ground, and setup time (in comparison to the stool).

I'll be spending 1-2 days later this week in southern AZ in one of my primary hunting areas. The Helinox will be run through its paces. I will have my current glassing stool with me to compare.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7521869 05/28/19 11:29 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
FreeRange, I saw one in action this past January while hunting Coues in Mexico. The guide using it recommended it so I figured why not give it a try. Worst case is I use it for concerts, festivals, or camping. So I took advantage of REI's sale this past weekend to get it for 25% off.

For what I hunt, there is no single solution that covers everything. I use a cutoff portion from a Thermarest Z-Lite pad for going after black bear. For deer I use my glassing stool. I always have the cutoff Z-Lite pad with me since I will also use it as a rear rest and/or a makeshift shooting mat (better than laying down on ground covered in cholla - which I have had to do before).

Broken down the Helinox is 1/2 the length and the same circumference as my glassing stool. The positives are weight savings, hopefully more comfort (stool hurts the "boys" after awhile), and more room in my pack. The potential negatives are closer to the ground (cactus spines), stability on uneven terrain, sinking in the ground, and setup time (in comparison to the stool).

I'll be spending 1-2 days later this week in southern AZ in one of my primary hunting areas. The Helinox will be run through its paces. I will have my current glassing stool with me to compare.

Would love to hear your report on it. I got one also for a 2020 sheep hunt. It will be in a pannier during the pack in, whether it makes it up the mountain with me from spike camp more than once remains to be seen. But I’m looking forward to trying it.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: AZ_Hunter_2000] #7521939 05/29/19 01:34 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

AZ, thanks for the rundown. Keep us posted. Ill probably get one anyway, like you say its convenient for sporting events etc.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Bigfoot] #7527979 06/05/19 08:55 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I guess I am from a different way of thinking. While I would love to get new gear, I take a certain satisfaction with making, building, repairing and rigging stuff to keep working.

My Main gun is a Ruger M77 with an old 3x9 Tasco I killed my first deer with 30+ years ago. I don't think any of my hunting rifles are less than 30, with a few over 50 and one over 100. All work. All bring home meat.

Re: Every year i just keep upgrading. [Re: Bigfoot] #7528063 06/05/19 10:53 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
The AR style rifle has become my primary hunting rifle.

The beauty of hunting with ARs is if you get the itch to upgrade or change something, and if you are good with tools and have common sense, it can be done safely with a minimum of time, parts, and labor.

The sky is the limit with what you can to with ARs nowadays. I don't really buy new guns anymore...I buy uppers, lowers, and parts.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide