Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Customers beware [Re: BigPig] #7524218 06/01/19 01:17 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Think what is going to happen outside of the city limits(rural areas) where code is not even thought about. Smaller cities that don't have inspection services.

Re: Customers beware [Re: ducknbass] #7526826 06/04/19 04:44 PM
HOF Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Originally Posted by HOF
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Just talked to a plumbing friend. Basically they are talking about disbanding the state plumbing board which would in turn shut down the regulatory arm of the plumbers in the Texas. He basically said there are some legal issues being wrangled and that there is talk of a special session to get it hammered out.

So it's not that the state had made a conscious decision to end regulation of plumbers more along the lines that the whole deal is in limbo with a bunch of politicians, so even if it does end on Sept 1 (he doesn't believe it will) it will be a short gap in regulation and the cities can fill that gap no problem.

Heck cities handled the electricians licensing until about 05. Wh n the state took it over they had a window where if you had x amount of hours in the field they grandfathered you in as a licensed electrician. I know a couple of guys that did that and.i know dang good and well a bunch got it that would never have been able to pass that exam, where I had just studied and spent money on prep courses to pass the sbci exam like a year or two before.

Sorry, unless your friend is a buddy of our Govenor and has inside info about a special session yet to be announced this is a done deal. Texas legislature meets every other year and this one is in the books.

You're right. Carry on every one scream we are all gonna die.

Link to Texas Tribune - Abbot "We got this"

Gov. Greg Abbott claimed Tuesday he can keep Texas' plumbing board alive without calling a special legislative session, as he reassured plumbers who were worried their profession will no longer be subject to state regulations.

"TEXAS PLUMBERS: We’ve got this," Abbott tweeted. "The Legislature has given the Governor many tools in my toolbox to extend the State Board of Plumbing Examiners for two years without needing to call a special session. We will let you know very soon. Don’t worry."

It was not immediately clear how Abbott could rescue the board, a state agency that licenses plumbers and regulates the industry. The board is set to wind down and cease existing in 2020 after state lawmakers recently failed to pass legislation that would have extended the agency's life. Lawmakers also wiped out the part of the state code that gives Texas the authority to regulate the profession in the first place.

Plumbers have been pushing Abbott to convene a special session to deal with the situation, though he has shown no interest in bringing lawmakers back to Austin. "NO SPECIAL SESSION," Abbott tweeted hours after lawmakers wrapped up their 140-day regular session last week.

Searching the world over for the perfect Chile Relleno.
Re: Customers beware [Re: BigPig] #7526846 06/04/19 05:03 PM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
The wild Wild West of construction in Texas is the roofing trade. We have and are still trying to get the state to regulate this trade but .....no Bueno

Re: Customers beware [Re: BigPig] #7527141 06/04/19 10:54 PM
Jon Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I’ve heard the thing about cities filling the gap after Sept 1 till the state plumbing license gets sorted back out.
I don’t get a warm fuzzy about that. Quite a while back before the state electrical license came along, when the cities handled that, I had a central HVAC installed in Mesquite. Didn’t have much money then and told the HVAC contractor I could do my own electrical.

Nope, due to city rules he had to use a licensed electrician. Fast forward till I had to crawl under the pier and beam house a little later and found 3 blue wire nuts connected in the middle of a 30’ run of romex.
Laying on the dirt in a mud puddle caused by a belly in the condensate drain line sweating. NOT in a box secured to something and with a cover screwed on it. Green tag was still hanging on the service disconnect outside at the unit.

Same job where somebody (hopefully not a real plumber) had woodpeckered out a hole in the side of the indoor unit cabinate housing using a drill bit, pliers and some tin snips. And ran the thin corrugated bendable copper gas line through that hole laying against the ragged startoothed mess of a hole they had made in the cabinet. Good freakin grief.

I cleaned up both those issues on my own and went on. SMDH.

Re: Customers beware [Re: BigPig] #7527160 06/04/19 11:26 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don’t get all the concern about a plumber not being licensed. confused2

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Customers beware [Re: Jon] #7534423 06/14/19 03:13 AM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Jon
I’ve heard the thing about cities filling the gap after Sept 1 till the state plumbing license gets sorted back out.
I don’t get a warm fuzzy about that. Quite a while back before the state electrical license came along, when the cities handled that, I had a central HVAC installed in Mesquite. Didn’t have much money then and told the HVAC contractor I could do my own electrical.

Nope, due to city rules he had to use a licensed electrician. Fast forward till I had to crawl under the pier and beam house a little later and found 3 blue wire nuts connected in the middle of a 30’ run of romex.
Laying on the dirt in a mud puddle caused by a belly in the condensate drain line sweating. NOT in a box secured to something and with a cover screwed on it. Green tag was still hanging on the service disconnect outside at the unit.

Same job where somebody (hopefully not a real plumber) had woodpeckered out a hole in the side of the indoor unit cabinate housing using a drill bit, pliers and some tin snips. And ran the thin corrugated bendable copper gas line through that hole laying against the ragged startoothed mess of a hole they had made in the cabinet. Good freakin grief.

I cleaned up both those issues on my own and went on. SMDH.

FYI that same contractor licensed through the state and the same inspector inspected his work.

Fact

Re: Customers beware [Re: BigPig] #7534467 06/14/19 07:17 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Double flush... no issues.

Re: Customers beware [Re: BDB] #7535320 06/15/19 02:48 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BDB
The wild Wild West of construction in Texas is the roofing trade. We have and are still trying to get the state to regulate this trade but .....no Bueno

Foundation repair too. No license needed unless you are leveling a trailer house, how stupid is that?

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide