Forums46
Topics537,752
Posts9,728,674
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. #7526210 06/03/19 09:46 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Starting September 1, you can hunt and kill hogs without a hunting license and without having hog-related property damage.

Link

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/03/19 09:47 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526231 06/03/19 10:07 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
This means that one doesn't have to have a license to hunt, which means no hunters ed. So, you will get (more) morons with firearms who have even less of a clue. I don't like it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526245 06/03/19 10:19 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I buy a super combo every year anyway...…

Seriously doubt it will make much of a difference as to who is hunting them.....I equate it to open carry causing gun battles in the streets.....much to do about nothing.... 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7526249 06/03/19 10:25 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I buy a super combo every year anyway...…

Seriously doubt it will make much of a difference as to who is hunting them.....I equate it to open carry causing gun battles in the streets.....much to do about nothing.... 2cents

up But...I believe it's "Much ado about nothing." ('Gotta quote The Bard accurately, don't ya know.)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: ChadTRG42] #7526267 06/03/19 10:51 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
This means that one doesn't have to have a license to hunt, which means no hunters ed. So, you will get (more) morons with firearms who have even less of a clue. I don't like it.

I agree. Did TPWD think there's this whole backlog of hog killers in wait who wouldn't do the deed because they had to buy a license?

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526272 06/03/19 10:54 PM
S
SapperTitan Online Content
Taking Requests
Online Content
Taking Requests
S
Here we go more of those idiots that have a group of hogs come I to the feeder and they empty a 30 round mag on them and miss all the hogs but hit the feeder

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526282 06/03/19 11:09 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
When will they allow me to shoot them off the side of the road??

bolt

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526301 06/03/19 11:30 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I just see this as a selling point for the "Pay to Shoot" outfitters. "No License Required!". Like that $40-something dollar license was a deal Breaker? rolleyes

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526311 06/03/19 11:40 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Plus, it's going to reduce the amount of license sales. Then they will need to have another tax or some kind of something to make up the difference for it. And how does a game warden enforce hunting now? Anyone without a license can say they were hog hunting, even if they were about to shoot a deer illegally. I see this causing more problems than solving. I understand we need to kill all the pigs possible, but this isn't the answer.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526316 06/03/19 11:48 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
It is amazing how many already have everything needed to hunt pigs. They have license, land(lease), feeders, blinds, guns, and yet they do not hunt them because they do not have a rack on their head.
About the only time they will even shoot at them is when they are waiting for a buck and the hogs run the rest of the deer off.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Simple Searcher] #7526318 06/03/19 11:50 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
It is amazing how many already have everything needed to hunt pigs. They have license, land(lease), feeders, blinds, guns, and yet they do not hunt them because they do not have a rack on their head.
About the only time they will even shoot at them is when they are waiting for a buck and the hogs run the rest of the deer off.

popcorn

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526324 06/03/19 11:54 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
No doubt there will be people who will benefit from this, but I don't think the impact will be nearly as big as some are thinking. In order to take advantage of this you would have to hunt for nothing but hogs, and I just don't think there are that many folks out there who fit in this class. If you fish or hunt for anything else you will still have to get a license. I think when compared to the number of hunters in Texas (including visiting hunters) the percentage of people taking advantage of this will be minimal.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526325 06/03/19 11:56 PM
C
Cajun Raider Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
TRG42 above hit the nail on the head!

Don't talk the talk if you didn't walk the walk.
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526361 06/04/19 12:59 AM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I believe hunters ed is still required, and it is just on private land with landowners permission.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7526399 06/04/19 01:59 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
When will they allow me to shoot them off the side of the road??

bolt

Some of us do that anyway and have for years. Whatever smile

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526597 06/04/19 12:39 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, many of you are overlooking the fact there's a lot of people who have never hunted but might enjoy the chance to kill a feral hog because of the novelty of it. They're not looking to spend a lot of time in the woods but can be drawn to the chance to pull the trigger on something that's ugly, is considered a pest, and for those two reasons needs killing. Granted, there are specific guides and landowners who will benefit most from this change in the law, but you same people are ignoring the fact that making it easier for people to kill hogs will result in many of them wanting to take up hunting. And that is a very, very good thing. Besides, it's not like there's a shortage of feral hogs.

Yes, look at it as a way to get people to get a taste of what it's like to take down a relatively large wild animal so they'll be more likely to buy a license and take up the sport.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/04/19 12:49 PM.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526629 06/04/19 01:18 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I like it. Me and my wife always get a license every year to hunt our land for deer and hogs, but have friends that come over that are not really hunters yet, but are wanting to learn and see what it's all about. I have quite a few hogs on my land and it will be nice to tell them that they can come out and hunt hogs with me without having to get a license and see if it's something that they actually enjoy. I think that most people equate hunting to shooting and killing animals, but fail to factor in the time spent in the woods actually looking for those animals. For me, that's what I enjoy the most and if I can have a friend along that has never done this, it should be a good thing. Kind of a gateway into hunting that could very well lead to wanting to hunt deer and maybe other animals in the future.

My other thought was that their might be land owners out there that do not hunt, do not buy a hunting license, but have a hog problem and haven't been doing anything about it because they did not want to break the law. Maybe this will help slow down the growing numbers of wild hogs out there?

You don't need a fishing license to fish your own ponds, and it's nice that you don't need one to hunt hogs on your own land.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: EddieWalker] #7526666 06/04/19 01:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
I like it. Me and my wife always get a license every year to hunt our land for deer and hogs, but have friends that come over that are not really hunters yet, but are wanting to learn and see what it's all about. I have quite a few hogs on my land and it will be nice to tell them that they can come out and hunt hogs with me without having to get a license and see if it's something that they actually enjoy. I think that most people equate hunting to shooting and killing animals, but fail to factor in the time spent in the woods actually looking for those animals. For me, that's what I enjoy the most and if I can have a friend along that has never done this, it should be a good thing. Kind of a gateway into hunting that could very well lead to wanting to hunt deer and maybe other animals in the future.

My other thought was that their might be land owners out there that do not hunt, do not buy a hunting license, but have a hog problem and haven't been doing anything about it because they did not want to break the law. Maybe this will help slow down the growing numbers of wild hogs out there?

You don't need a fishing license to fish your own ponds, and it's nice that you don't need one to hunt hogs on your own land.

One of my daughters is almost in the same boat. She doesn't have the time to take up hunting and doesn't see it as being worth buying a license just to kill a hog or two.

I see this change more as something that says do the state of Texas a favor and we'll do you a favor.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/04/19 01:53 PM.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: CharlieCTx] #7526673 06/04/19 01:53 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx

I agree. Did TPWD think there's this whole backlog of hog killers in wait who wouldn't do the deed because they had to buy a license?

slinger have gun will travel

Thar b a many willing ta help out with d hog problem...
Hunting licence isnt the issue, it been legal ta kill hogs in past, just had ta let em lay... waiste of good meat...
2cents Real problem tis : tis a hunting forum, all about Big Buck$.. .
All this high-tech ?
How many hunters been on here looking 4 place ta help out with hog problem ? & what was the responce ?
Thats why i hunted WMA... Affordable hunting, low-income hunter...
i got D- in grammer, not common cents, (moron) that later...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526680 06/04/19 01:59 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
All the issues aside, how ironic that with so many animals having been "hunted out" in the past, we now find laws being removed to encourage it.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526706 06/04/19 02:33 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Having the hunter's education card doesn't make an idiot hunter any safer IMO. You either want to do the right thing or you don't.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526720 06/04/19 02:51 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Link doesn't specify that I can see but I wonder if that applies to out of state hunters as well or is that only for Texas residents?

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: EddieWalker] #7526800 06/04/19 04:07 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

[quote=EddieWalker

[/quote]

As long as it is your own land I like it up My concern is the people that might take advantage of this law to justify not buying a license and maybe shoot a deer, if they get caught say they are sorry thought it was a hog when they shot it.

Last edited by Stub; 06/04/19 04:08 PM.

texas flag

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: Texas Dan] #7526805 06/04/19 04:12 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
We've all been duped into believing hunting/fishing isn't a right, but a privilege. Biological interactions that have been extorted by uncle sam, and various other countries. You know the hogs are bad if they don't have their hand out getting a cut from it.

Re: Yes, you can hunt and kill feral hogs without a license. [Re: ChadTRG42] #7526841 06/04/19 05:01 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

I suppose we would need some research on this to say for sure. Does a license and Hunters ed. turn a moron to non-moron? Are there no morons that have license? It's not like the moron card is exchanged for the hunting license. I am a property owner who only hunts hogs. I don't care to have a license to take out destructive hogs on my land. A handful of you guys have shot with me, I don't think you folks consider me a moron. (could be wrong on that one tho:) I don't think the new law will make any difference. Morons do what they do regardless of laws, just like restrictive gun laws don't stop gun crime.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide