Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: TrackQuack] #7451589 03/06/19 01:11 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TrackQuack
Wallyfish,

I couldn't disagree with you more, just because a few areas have populations of lions doesn't mean the species is thriving. Because we don't agree doesn't mean I am a threat or I will cause harm to hunting ........ it just means we don't agree. I didn't suggest you have no idea what you are talking about, or give you statistics which are generally based on an individual point of view.

I am glad that you are proud of the hunt you have every right to be, just like i have a right not to like it. Doesn't make me better than you or vice versa. Hope you have a good one.

As many have pointed out the lion population is on the increase, we get one here every few years. As I was saying to a friend this weekend, "you can't go a quarter mile here in Texas without seeing a blind and a feeder. With the increased food source comes increased populations of those that use it and those that feed on those that use it. Whitetails are at an all time high in this area and the big cats utilize that resource well. i see the lion population doing nothing but increasing. I might add that these as you call them "cool critters" can devastate a mans livelihood in short order. There's a reason they are shot on sight and it's not because they're cute and cool, it's because they are deadly and can take down animals much larger than most men.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7456168 03/12/19 12:32 AM
Reekax Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Very Nice!

No high fences. We don't hunt zoos. Hunting free range, fair chase game for over 50 Years.
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: jeffbird] #7456575 03/12/19 02:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by 240z
Regarding big cats being scarce, this is the third one i have heard of being killed in Texas in as many weeks.

Compared to more than 800,000 White-tailed deer killed by hunters in Texas last year.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_rp_w7000_0718b.pdf

By almost a million tag holders... so lions kill more deer per lion then deer per hunter.

Several south and western counties with high lion populations

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7482821 04/10/19 12:42 AM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
That’s great , I’d love to get one someday . Glad you enjoyed it

Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7483964 04/11/19 02:43 AM
T
TrackQuack Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Simply stating that lion populations are on the rise gives you justification to shoot them for a selfie or to put a mount in their game room... I am not sure of what your argument is here? It is ok to continue to shoot them on the spot with unregulated means because doing so isn't curbing the population already? If you want to shoot a lion since it is a rare thing, a challenge, and you feel accomplished just say so. Don't kid yourself and say you did it for "conservation" or to save the poor farmer trying to scrape out a living.

Who's livelihood are they devastating? Don't just say a rancher unless you have an example of a problem mountain lion in Texas.

Frustrating to me that a bunch of hunters simply don't care about a balanced ecosystem and keeping the wild wild. Using myth and irrational fear that a lion can kill big animals therefore we need to shoot them on the spot is sad. You are significantly more likely to be killed by a deer in a vehicle collision annually in Texas than ever attacked by a lion in your lifetime.

To the claim that there are more corn feeders, therefore more deer, therefore more lions. I don't disagree with the logic but the problem for lions hasn't been a lack of food it is getting hit crossing roads and being shot/trapped.

To someone else's question, yes I live in a city, just like 88% of Texans...... I can't wait to see where your lack of common sense takes this argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5PnHnErGs&t=455s

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/list-of-fatal-mountain-lion-attacks-in-north-america/

Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7483978 04/11/19 03:04 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well done Wally. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: TrackQuack] #7484693 04/11/19 10:09 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TrackQuack
Simply stating that lion populations are on the rise gives you justification to shoot them for a selfie or to put a mount in their game room... I am not sure of what your argument is here? It is ok to continue to shoot them on the spot with unregulated means because doing so isn't curbing the population already? If you want to shoot a lion since it is a rare thing, a challenge, and you feel accomplished just say so. Don't kid yourself and say you did it for "conservation" or to save the poor farmer trying to scrape out a living.

Who's livelihood are they devastating? Don't just say a rancher unless you have an example of a problem mountain lion in Texas.

Frustrating to me that a bunch of hunters simply don't care about a balanced ecosystem and keeping the wild wild. Using myth and irrational fear that a lion can kill big animals therefore we need to shoot them on the spot is sad. You are significantly more likely to be killed by a deer in a vehicle collision annually in Texas than ever attacked by a lion in your lifetime.

To the claim that there are more corn feeders, therefore more deer, therefore more lions. I don't disagree with the logic but the problem for lions hasn't been a lack of food it is getting hit crossing roads and being shot/trapped.

To someone else's question, yes I live in a city, just like 88% of Texans...... I can't wait to see where your lack of common sense takes this argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5PnHnErGs&t=455s

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/list-of-fatal-mountain-lion-attacks-in-north-america/

If the population's healthy, it's legal and you want to, you should shoot whatever you like. If you're going to attack people for hunting legally, you should just become an anti-hunter. Fighting amongst ourselves is a waste. It's just like that guy trying to make alligator gar a game fish. He says he's concerned about their conservation (despite all scientific data suggesting their population is robust and healthy) but in reality he's either trying to force his opinion on the rest of the state or (more likely) trying to create a monopoly for himself. If he were truly concerned, he'd be suggesting TPWD do a study on the alligator gar mortality rate of line-caught fish.

OP, congrats on the lion.

Last edited by DonPablo; 04/11/19 10:10 PM.
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7484757 04/11/19 11:17 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I would like to see the studies showing lions are on the increase in order to know what the data really are. I am not even sure what that means in the grand scheme. That is academic, however. Hunting mountain lions is legal. Period.

If you don't want to hunt legal game, TQ, that is on you. I don't hunt deer or fowl.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #7523426 05/31/19 02:49 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Congratulations! Nice rifle too by the way. I hope to get a cougar one day.

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Wishing they were off limits is an emotional response not based on anything other than they are cute.

I 100% agree with you. I balked when i saw the naysayers posting in this thread. This is the Texas Hunting Forum, not the Texas PETA Forum, and as far as I can tell conservation is the #1 goal of almost everyone on this forum.

Mountain lions need to be hunted. Apex predators, probably need to be carefully controlled, moreso than everything else.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7523427 05/31/19 02:54 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Anybody that is gonna openly shame a man publicly for legally and ethically taking game ought to be banned from the forum. I swear! Texas HUNTING Forum! And content thereof removed. Shameful than anybody would post something to detract from this man's once in a lifetime trophy, harvested legally and ethically!

Trolls gonna troll...

Last edited by regularguy11B; 05/31/19 02:55 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7523603 05/31/19 12:56 PM
S
Single Shot Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S
Congratulations on a once in a lifetime kill.
Originally Posted by Wallyfish
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This male was 142#. Called up from a deep canyon, not too far from the Rio Grand, with FoxPro. Shot at about 175 yds with 55 gr Sierra game king handloads in a 223/12 Valmet combo at about 5PM. He ran about 25 yds and collapsed. For a varmit hunter this was definitely a "once in a lifetime" hunt.
Jeromy of Wild Side Outfitters did a great job of making this hunt possible.

Originally Posted by Wallyfish
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This male was 142#. Called up from a deep canyon, not too far from the Rio Grand, with FoxPro. Shot at about 175 yds with 55 gr Sierra game king handloads in a 223/12 Valmet combo at about 5PM. He ran about 25 yds and collapsed. For a varmit hunter this was definitely a "once in a lifetime" hunt.
Jeromy of Wild Side Outfitters did a great job of making this hunt possible.

Re: Big cat in S. TX [Re: Wallyfish] #7526307 06/03/19 11:38 PM
G
Gldntgr96 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Congratulations.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide