Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics536,987
Posts9,719,160
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California #7516829 05/21/19 03:21 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
So what I'm trying to do is line up my hunting trips in advance, so I have something lined up and in order for the next several years. Due to my age and physical abilities I am trying to do the tougher hunts now ( not only in physical abilities but also travel-wise ) and am on the collection mission to acquire multiple representative species.

One hunt that has always intrigued me is the blacktail deer. IMO a big blacktail deer is a beautiful creature. I saw one in a magazine last night and that kind of re-spurred my interest in that species. Started looking last night and I had a hard time finding blacktail deer outfitters. I prefer to hunt in more open country like California or Central Oregon/Washington rather than walk around in a rainforest like you do on the coastal type regions.

Does anyone have a line on a good outfitter?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7516855 05/21/19 03:39 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I spent a couple of years in CA with the USN and took several blacktails on my own off public land. One outfitter I saw whose name came up time after time was Camp 5 Outfitters. Don't know anything about them since i am a DIY hunter but that would be a start.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7516915 05/21/19 04:42 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QMC(SW/EXW)
I spent a couple of years in CA with the USN and took several blacktails on my own off public land. One outfitter I saw whose name came up time after time was Camp 5 Outfitters. Don't know anything about them since i am a DIY hunter but that would be a start.

how was the quality of deer you took in that area?

This is one hunt where one of the requirements would be a legitimate chance at a trophy or better than average blacktail.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7520949 05/27/19 03:52 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I was born and raised in CA and got my start hunting blacktails. Some of the Wilderness areas like the Yolla Bolly have a good reputation for producing B&C blacktails. One thing to be sure of is to hunt on the Western side of I-5 if you want a true blacktail. The mule deer/blacktail cross breeds are on the other side of I-5, which is where you get some of those huge racked, small eared looking blacktails that some try to pass as pure blacktails.

Here are a couple of mine from different parts of the Mendocino National Forest. I was fortunate enough to draw a few late season tags, and the difference between hunting then and during the regular season is night and day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7521978 05/29/19 02:17 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
that last pic is a nice buck.

From what I'm finding is the better bucks in quantity are located in Washington and Oregon

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7522441 05/29/19 07:30 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Beautiful bucks, Eddie.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7522956 05/30/19 01:41 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Thank you. I mounted the one in the first picture and shot the one in the second picture a few years later with a muzzle loader. It makes the muzzleloader record book if I had it entered, but I did't bother. I didn't mount that one either since I already have a nice blacktail on the wall.

My next door neighbors got me started hunting and they took me to the Mendocino Nation Forest just outside of Paskanta CA. This is all public land, loaded with road hunters on logging roads. They hunted by sitting in the back of a truck and driving the roads. We would see about 100 deer a day, almost all does, and probably the same ones several times a day. If we saw a buck, it was a race to see who could shoot it first, but in some years, no bucks where seen. Usually somebody would get a deer every other year. One of the kids that lived next door has kept going there every year, hunting the same way every year, for at least 40 years. He has two really nice B&C blacktails on his wall from hunting this way. The last one was about ten years ago and it's a massive, perfect 4x4. He goes the same time every year for a week. Camps in the same spot, knows everyone that camps there too, and basically drives the roads during the day, and drinks beer all night.

After a few years of this and only getting one forked horn, I decided to try something different. That wasn't the type of hunting that I like, but it's very very common for public land hunting in the National Forest there.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7522998 05/30/19 02:42 PM
S
SowHntr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
My uncle grew up hunting there too. Like said above, he said one side of the highway is considered mule deer and the other side is considered black tail.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7523344 05/31/19 12:32 AM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
[Linked Image]

Fins and Feathers Guide Service in Roseburg Oregon. Gus and his guides do an amazing job on both Columbian Blacktail and Columbian Whitetail. Rifle rut hunts available for both.
My partner has hunted with Gus about 4-5 times. I took this exceptional 4 pt. with him a couple years ago.

Last edited by Blank; 05/31/19 12:33 AM.
Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7523477 05/31/19 05:11 AM
20bore Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
That is exceptional.
Nice deer.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: EddieWalker] #7523650 05/31/19 01:27 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by EddieWalker
Thank you. I mounted the one in the first picture and shot the one in the second picture a few years later with a muzzle loader. It makes the muzzleloader record book if I had it entered, but I did't bother. I didn't mount that one either since I already have a nice blacktail on the wall.

My next door neighbors got me started hunting and they took me to the Mendocino Nation Forest just outside of Paskanta CA. This is all public land, loaded with road hunters on logging roads. They hunted by sitting in the back of a truck and driving the roads. We would see about 100 deer a day, almost all does, and probably the same ones several times a day. If we saw a buck, it was a race to see who could shoot it first, but in some years, no bucks where seen. Usually somebody would get a deer every other year. One of the kids that lived next door has kept going there every year, hunting the same way every year, for at least 40 years. He has two really nice B&C blacktails on his wall from hunting this way. The last one was about ten years ago and it's a massive, perfect 4x4. He goes the same time every year for a week. Camps in the same spot, knows everyone that camps there too, and basically drives the roads during the day, and drinks beer all night.

After a few years of this and only getting one forked horn, I decided to try something different. That wasn't the type of hunting that I like, but it's very very common for public land hunting in the National Forest there.

Had some buddies thst would hunt with us down south that were from the Five points/Bakersfield area and they said hunting the Forest in CA was exactly how you described it.

One of the guys hunted 9 years straight and never saw a legal buck. He killed his first deer with me after hunting for almost a decade!

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7530035 06/08/19 07:02 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I know a good outfitter for them on Kodiak, it's pretty reasonable and you can take more than 1 I believe.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: Blank] #7530038 06/08/19 07:09 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Great Blacktail! It still makes no sense to be why people on the west coast call this a 4pt but it has 5 pts each side, this is what they did in Sonora MX and alot of the guides their were from Utah. I grew up on the east coast and have been in Texas about 13 years and in both places that would be a 10 pt.....i understand you dont count the brow and it's one side but what if it has 6 on one side and 4 on the other then it's just a 6x4?

Originally Posted by Blank
[Linked Image]

Fins and Feathers Guide Service in Roseburg Oregon. Gus and his guides do an amazing job on both Columbian Blacktail and Columbian Whitetail. Rifle rut hunts available for both.
My partner has hunted with Gus about 4-5 times. I took this exceptional 4 pt. with him a couple years ago.

Last edited by sparrish8; 06/08/19 07:11 PM.
Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: sparrish8] #7530466 06/09/19 02:20 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted by sparrish8
Great Blacktail! It still makes no sense to be why people on the west coast call this a 4pt but it has 5 pts each side, this is what they did in Sonora MX and alot of the guides their were from Utah. I grew up on the east coast and have been in Texas about 13 years and in both places that would be a 10 pt.....i understand you dont count the brow and it's one side but what if it has 6 on one side and 4 on the other then it's just a 6x4?

Originally Posted by Blank
[Linked Image]

I grew up in CA and nobody ever counted brow tines. Most of the time, the bucks don't have them, and if they do, they are just bumps on the rack. It was always odd to me reading how they count every point on a whitetail while growing up and reading hunting magazines.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: txtrophy85] #7530544 06/09/19 04:15 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s simply area/cultural differences. Part of what makes the world interesting.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Blacktail deer outfitters- Washinton, Oregon or California [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7531352 06/10/19 02:46 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
It’s simply area/cultural differences. Part of what makes the world interesting.

had a buddy move up to Spokane Washington with some relatives to sober up for a bit before he went to the navy ( as an side story, one of the greatest transitions I've ever seen, went from being a thug addict hood rat on Pot, Pills and Coke to absolutely excelling in the Navy as a SARS diver, after his 8 years there he went back to A&M and now works for the USFWS in South Dakota ) and totally immersed himself in that culture. He came down to visit and he was dressed like the brawny paper towl guy, eating canned salmon and was always talking about knocking down a "big daddy 4 point". I didn't understand someone bragging about shooting a fork horn until he described how they classify them over there.

Personally, I use the 4x4 or 6x6 method to describe my deer. When I was a kid we used the point method but soon found out that method left a lot of be desired in terms of description.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide