Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Corn Bank #7521445 05/28/19 12:31 PM
H
howl Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
Anybody used these? It appears to be a plunger solenoid put in a housing made to function with corn. http://www.thecornbank.com/buy-now.html

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7522109 05/29/19 11:59 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Looks like a great idea.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7522801 05/30/19 03:32 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Looks like a great idea.

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7522987 05/30/19 02:26 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Why not get an inertia spinner plate and be done with it?

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: David Maas] #7523007 05/30/19 03:01 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by David Maas
Why not get an inertia spinner plate and be done with it?

[Linked Image]

We have those on almost all of our 25 feeders and they help a lot. Especially help with wind blown corn. Although an industrious coon(aren't they all) can still jack with em. They are not fool proof unless maybe we don't have em adjusted just right or they are faulty. Also theres a couple different types so maybe ones better than the other...
Never heard of the cornbank but certainly may work. Not cheap and would they work with a funnel? I always hate to add one more moving part to anything cause with a feeder if it can go wrong it will, IMO.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523054 05/30/19 03:55 PM
H
howl Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I'm trying to make quiet feeders. This looks like a way to make a very quiet metered gravity feeder. I made an auger feeder that is much quieter than a spinner, but the cost was about the same as this solenoid device. The difference would be how long the "corn bank" lasts because you are buying the whole mechanism instead of just replacing part.

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523069 05/30/19 04:28 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I guess I dont understand the concept of what it does. I thought it just held the corn back until the timer asked for it. Then it releases and all the normal noises associated with motor and spinner and corn clanking off legs would still be there....? I dont wanna appear nosy but besides me im betting others would like to know why you want it quiet. I may be missing something(as usual) but the noise attracts the deer doesn't it?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: freerange] #7523107 05/30/19 06:00 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by freerange
but the noise attracts the deer doesn't it?

Like a mail truck on the 3rd of the month

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: freerange] #7523129 05/30/19 06:33 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by freerange
I guess I dont understand the concept of what it does. I thought it just held the corn back until the timer asked for it. Then it releases and all the normal noises associated with motor and spinner and corn clanking off legs would still be there....? I dont wanna appear nosy but besides me im betting others would like to know why you want it quiet. I may be missing something(as usual) but the noise attracts the deer doesn't it?

yep, I wasn't sure the purpose either but after watching the video, makes sense. The plunger merely raises when the timer sends power to the spin motor, allowing corn to fall onto the spinner plate while motor is spinning. When the current stops going to the motor, it also cuts off to the plunger which closes, stopping the flow of corn to the spin plate. It would appear to make the same amount of noise as a normal spin plate without the plunger mechanism install ... but doesn't leave corn on the spin plate nor does it allow gymnastic coons to spin the spin plate emptying the feeder.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523143 05/30/19 07:09 PM
H
howl Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I think y'all understand how it works. The point for most people is to save corn in their spinner feeders. I was hoping someone had some experience to relate on using them.

My interest is not to use it in a spinner feeder. I want a gravity feeder. This unit would just open and close letting the feed run out. Last year I did just uncontrolled gravity feed. It worked great, but I was putting out 600# every three weeks in just two feeders.

The want for a quiet feeder has to do with where I use it. I'm in GA. (I'm following y'alls' forum because it is a good one for learning about feeders. Thanks.) In GA, we've just started baiting in our part of the state. These deer are not accustomed to feeder noise. Young deer don't seem to mind much, but older deer do. Mature bucks will even shy away from a noisy trail camera. Ten years from now, maybe that will be just like TX, but it's not here now. You can't even buy a good quality feeder many places here yet.

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523171 05/30/19 08:02 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
interesting! I guess the deer here are just used to the noise and I hadn't given it much thought on the noise aspect with baiting just now opening up. Heck mine think it's a dinner bell going off ... and come running even if I am standing in the pen checking to see if the timer and battery are working properly

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523173 05/30/19 08:08 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by howl
I think y'all understand how it works. The point for most people is to save corn in their spinner feeders. I was hoping someone had some experience to relate on using them.

My interest is not to use it in a spinner feeder. I want a gravity feeder. This unit would just open and close letting the feed run out. Last year I did just uncontrolled gravity feed. It worked great, but I was putting out 600# every three weeks in just two feeders.

The want for a quiet feeder has to do with where I use it. I'm in GA. (I'm following y'alls' forum because it is a good one for learning about feeders. Thanks.) In GA, we've just started baiting in our part of the state. These deer are not accustomed to feeder noise. Young deer don't seem to mind much, but older deer do. Mature bucks will even shy away from a noisy trail camera. Ten years from now, maybe that will be just like TX, but it's not here now. You can't even buy a good quality feeder many places here yet.

If you have mature deer shying away from your feeder it isn't because of the noise its making its because of the hunter that's hunting the feeder.
when it goes off.
After a feeder has gone off I've seen deer that are 100's yards out that will hall azz to be the first at the feeder to get the first cornel of corn.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: Pope&Young] #7523198 05/30/19 08:41 PM
H
howl Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I've seen them come running too IN TX. I've seen deer there show up early and wait for it to go off.

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523389 05/31/19 01:56 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Ain't no coon going to spin this plate, nor is the wind going to blow the corn off the plate it also keeps the corn in the pen. Just as easy to make one for a 55 gallon feeder as well, deer don't care about the noise, that is nonsense, it's a dinner bell for any thing wanting a free meal

[Linked Image]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523400 05/31/19 02:08 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
These deer are not accustomed to feeder noise. Young deer don't seem to mind much, but older deer do. Mature bucks will even shy away from a noisy trail camera. Ten years from now, maybe that will be just like TX, but it's not here now.

Cameras don't dispense corn... feeders do. Cameras spook deer here as well.

It will take weeks, not years, to train your deer to figure out that racket they hear means good grocery time. It's simple behavioral science. Trust me, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523468 05/31/19 04:28 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I put this pen & post up Saturday afternoon, hung the feeder and filled it Sunday, camera on Monday, deer Wednesday morning. You are giving deer to much credit, they are no different than any other creature, they look for the easiest way to survive and eat.

[Linked Image]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7523719 05/31/19 02:26 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
How do you explain the UFO in the background Dave?

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: CharlieCTx] #7523720 05/31/19 02:28 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
How do you explain the UFO in the background Dave?

Porch light I forgot to turn off

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: David Maas] #7524447 06/01/19 02:55 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Howl, glad you let us know youre from Georgia. Ill refrain from any Georgia jokes since you admitted up front how much smarter us Texans are. Since im being nice to you for complimenting us I wont insult your intelligence by telling you that the gravity feed will most likely plunk it down in one small area. That's likely not ideal but I wont elaborate since you likely know that.
Back to the noise. Ive never been around deer that weren't used to the noise of a spin feeder and ive never had reason to even think about it. Maybe someone with experience can chime in. If you wanted a Texan to take a guess this one would say by deer season they will be used to it but that's a guess. I would be very shocked if you got a noisy one going AFTER deer season that they wouldn't be used to it by the next season. Just a Texans 2cents. Keep us posted, I am genuinely curious.

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7524482 06/01/19 04:16 PM
H
howl Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I'm not sure we can make a direct comparison. These deer aren't even the same subspecies.

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7524559 06/01/19 06:59 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm not sure we can make a direct comparison. These deer aren't even the same subspecies.

You can't really believe the feeder noise thing is due to genetics? While we'll give you a break being you're in Georgia, even in La. we read about Pavlov's dog in HS Psychology. Feeder noise attraction is not bred into an animal, it's learned.

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7524912 06/02/19 11:23 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have had up to 7 deer making a path to the feeder just after it goes off or the moments before. The feeder was put up on Sunday evening May 26th. I have over 1300 pictures of deer in this feeder pen, you can see they are all healthy, it's not like they were starving for a meal. That buck has a healthy start on bone.

[Linked Image]

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7524938 06/02/19 12:39 PM
H
howl Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
H
I may have learned a thing or two about animals when I got my bachelor's majoring in biology. I have seen how deer in TX and deer in GA behave around spinners. I can attest to what y'all are saying about your deer, well South TX deer, behaving as claimed. The several different subspecies of deer I have hunted do exhibit slight differences in behavior. I think y'all are oversimplifying for the sake of argument.

I'm getting buck pics on my quieter-than-a-spinner auger feeder I wouldn't be getting. I'm going to build one with this solenoid plunger and see which I like better.

Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7524942 06/02/19 12:51 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
I was out at a fellow's ranch a week ago & he whips out his cell phone & plays the sound of a feeder going off! He had downloaded the app! ... lol444

I don't know if it's loud enough on a cell phone to work, but I did see a guy call deer in to an empty feeder by swirling some corn around in a tin coffee can.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Re: The Corn Bank [Re: howl] #7524985 06/02/19 02:20 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I may have learned a thing or two about animals when I got my bachelor's majoring in biology. I have seen how deer in TX and deer in GA behave around spinners. I can attest to what y'all are saying about your deer, well South TX deer, behaving as claimed. The several different subspecies of deer I have hunted do exhibit slight differences in behavior. I think y'all are oversimplifying for the sake of argument.

I'm getting buck pics on my quieter-than-a-spinner auger feeder I wouldn't be getting. I'm going to build one with this solenoid plunger and see which I like better.

Again, you are giving deer too much credit.

It's your feeder knock yourself out, but we have seen too many instances where the sound of a feeder slinging corn will bring deer, coons and pigs running, or at least walking at a brisk pace.

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide