Forums46
Topics537,804
Posts9,729,334
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School #7519562 05/25/19 01:15 AM
E
Espy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...oach-hired-texas-high-school/1230278001/
Art Briles will be on the sidelines in Texas again.

The Mount Vernon Independent School District (Texas) announced in a press release Friday night that the former Baylor and Houston coach will serve as head coach at Mount Vernon High School.
"After a thorough due diligence process and several earnest conversations, we believe our students will benefit greatly from his skills and experience,” said Jason McCullough, the Mount Vernon school district's superintendent.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519575 05/25/19 01:35 AM
T
tex70 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Why am I not surprised by this?

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519576 05/25/19 01:35 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Obviously a talented coach.

Hopefully he learned a lesson, and not to turn a blind eye to “win at all costs”.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519580 05/25/19 01:42 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Didn't he roid his kids up at stephenville?

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: S.A. hunter] #7519614 05/25/19 02:24 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Rumored and supposedly a pretty tightly held "know" in Stephenville but never formally noted or cited.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519674 05/25/19 05:31 AM
T
Txduckman Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
T
Leach got a second chance! Lol. Different and sad situation. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Win at all costs doesn't pay in the long run...

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: S.A. hunter] #7519684 05/25/19 08:33 AM
S
smithwr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Completely false rumor started by people who couldn’t beat us. What he did do is had the most intense off season program in the state, and a weightroom to back it up. RC Slocum came to check out the facility when A&M was designing theirs. Tarleton worked out at the local high school because the facilities were better. I have somewhat of a working knowledge of the situation considering I was the same age as Kendal and played 6 years under Art’s program and 2 years directly under him before he left for Tech. Saying he shot kids up is worse than telling a self made man that he had it given to him. But that’s the easy route.

Last edited by smithwr; 05/25/19 08:34 AM.
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: smithwr] #7519705 05/25/19 12:00 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by smithwr

Completely false rumor started by people who couldn’t beat us. What he did do is had the most intense off season program in the state, and a weightroom to back it up. RC Slocum came to check out the facility when A&M was designing theirs. Tarleton worked out at the local high school because the facilities were better. I have somewhat of a working knowledge of the situation considering I was the same age as Kendal and played 6 years under Art’s program and 2 years directly under him before he left for Tech. Saying he shot kids up is worse than telling a self made man that he had it given to him. But that’s the easy route.

There it is, hard work and superior facilities do tend to make a difference in Texas high school football, simply ask Highland Park, Southlake Carroll, Allen and a host of other marquee programs throughout the state and the theme is pretty consistent. Thanks for the inside program perspective as opposed to heresay.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519707 05/25/19 12:04 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I see they dropped it late on a Friday before a three day weekend in hopes that everyone will forget about it by Tuesday.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Txduckman] #7519708 05/25/19 12:05 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Leach got a second chance! Lol. Different and sad situation. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Win at all costs doesn't pay in the long run...

What Leach did is in no comparison to what Briles was doing.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Roll-Tide] #7519710 05/25/19 12:07 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Obviously a talented coach.

Hopefully he learned a lesson, and not to turn a blind eye to “win at all costs”.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: DQ Kid] #7519719 05/25/19 12:21 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

There it is, hard work and superior facilities do tend to make a difference in Texas high school football, simply ask Highland Park, Southlake Carroll, Allen and a host of other marquee programs throughout the state and the theme is pretty consistent. Thanks for the inside program perspective as opposed to heresay.

Don't forget about Aledo!!

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519725 05/25/19 12:33 PM
O
Old_Town Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
O
I wonder what his salary will be at Mount Vernon?

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519777 05/25/19 02:26 PM
R
redhaze Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
How long will it take him to be a "state final" contender? Isn't that the home of Dany Don?

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7519804 05/25/19 03:04 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I see they dropped it late on a Friday before a three day weekend in hopes that everyone will forget about it by Tuesday.

Yeah. I noticed that too.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: smithwr] #7519888 05/25/19 05:39 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I think the propane tanks with ball bearings in them played a big part.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519975 05/25/19 09:03 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
He is surrounded by too much of a controversy to be coaching high school kids. This will become a hotspot and the school and the school board will be held responsible. The Houston newspaper had a good article about this.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: smithwr] #7519981 05/25/19 09:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Tarleton never used Stephenville’s facilities ever. I was at Tarleton for both Kendell and Kolb. Now I’m not saying the high school didn’t have better facilities they did. Infact they even rivaled USAFA where I transferred from

I do agree though he didn’t shoot his kids up. Now may a been a few imports to the program but no roids.

I will say from a coaching stand point Briles is one of the best coaches the country has ever seen. Those high school kids will be in excellent hands.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: DQ Kid] #7519989 05/25/19 09:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Rumored and supposedly a pretty tightly held "know" in Stephenville but never formally noted or cited.

I played with a lot of those guys at Tarleton, and also worked with a bunch over the summer. They weren’t roiding.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7519993 05/25/19 09:50 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I played with a lot of those guys at Tarleton, and also worked with a bunch over the summer. They weren’t roiding.

Chill Bobo, I didn't initiate the roid angle, just recanted what a former Stephenville cheerleader I worked with indicated, not officially substantiated as I also indicated. Unlike Jewel, I've had no burning interest to visit Stephenville so could care less what they do or don't do in their high school athletics.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Espy] #7519997 05/25/19 09:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
His character was completely revealed by the Baylor mess.

Just example number 435,367 and counting that having a winning football team trumps all in Texas - including having any sort of moral code.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: DQ Kid] #7520000 05/25/19 10:03 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Chill Bobo, I didn't initiate the roid angle, just recanted what a former Stephenville cheerleader I worked with indicated, not officially substantiated as I also indicated. Unlike Jewel, I've had no burning interest to visit Stephenville so could care less what they do or don't do in their high school athletics.

I’m not upset, I'm Just stating first hand truths. It’s been almost 20 years since Briles coached at the vile

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7520059 05/26/19 12:17 AM
S
smithwr Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

Just example number 435,367 and counting that having a winning football team trumps all in Texas - including having any sort of moral code.

How many of the board of regents are still employed? All of them. The title 9 coordinator? Yep. The report has never been fully released. They paid Briles 5 mil to walk away because their reputation is worth more. He either had to take it or walk away for free because it was obvious very early that he was the fall guy, one way or another.

Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: smithwr] #7520100 05/26/19 01:29 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Baylor bought out his contract, when the SHTF, the taxpayers of MT Vernon will be paying.

How many of the board of regents are still employed? All of them. The title 9 coordinator? Yep. The report has never been fully released. They paid Briles 5 mil to walk away because their reputation is worth more. He either had to take it or walk away for free because it was obvious very early that he was the fall guy, one way or another.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Art Briles named head coach of Texas' Mount Vernon High School [Re: smithwr] #7520103 05/26/19 01:31 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

The public evidence on Briles alone is sickening. I do agree they all should go though. Hell, now it’s been proven the entire investigation was a partial cover up to protect the higher-ups. I don’t see how the Baylor alums who still support those involved even hold their heads up.

I am a Baylor alum BTW.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide