Forums46
Topics537,017
Posts9,719,434
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517082 05/21/19 07:37 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Not to hijack this thread, but to put some real numbers in what it takes to make us not do the thing we love. I have a cabin in Colorado that I spend every June & July at. Last year a week before my wife and I were
to go, a woman called and said she wanted to rent it for 4 months starting June first. That's $16,000 for me and I could really use the money. I said yes, and we did not go last summer. Two days ago she called and
said she wanted to rent it again for 4 months starting June 1st. I thought about it and thought about all the memories that I am not making with my wife and friends, so I said No. We are going this year.
So, in real life, $16,000 bought me off for one year, however life is to short and memories to precious not go that second year.

Last edited by Mr. T.; 05/21/19 07:37 PM.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: Mr. T.] #7517150 05/21/19 09:08 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Not to hijack this thread, but to put some real numbers in what it takes to make us not do the thing we love. I have a cabin in Colorado that I spend every June & July at. Last year a week before my wife and I were
to go, a woman called and said she wanted to rent it for 4 months starting June first. That's $16,000 for me and I could really use the money. I said yes, and we did not go last summer. Two days ago she called and
said she wanted to rent it again for 4 months starting June 1st. I thought about it and thought about all the memories that I am not making with my wife and friends, so I said No. We are going this year.
So, in real life, $16,000 bought me off for one year, however life is to short and memories to precious not go that second year.

Is there an amount that she could have bought you off for another year? Say $35,000 this year instead of the $16,000...

For me, I know that there is a number but I will be damned if I can figure out what it is. There is too much emotional attachment to hunting to put a monetary value on it.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txshntr] #7517155 05/21/19 09:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txshntr

Is there an amount that she could have bought you off for another year? Say $35,000 this year instead of the $16,000...

For me, I know that there is a number but I will be damned if I can figure out what it is. There is too much emotional attachment to hunting to put a monetary value on it.

Simple it is a number that allows you to hunt as much as you want with out monetary restrictions going forward and for ever.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7517211 05/21/19 10:34 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by txshntr

Simple it is a number that allows you to hunt as much as you want with out monetary restrictions going forward and for ever.

Probably correct...but I would still suffer grin

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517214 05/21/19 10:42 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Pay me a $100 grand. I'll still show up to the ranch and be the the camp cook and chief bottle washer, help dress deer, hogs etc in return for some meat from each animal.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: Mr. T.] #7517218 05/21/19 10:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

That’s interesting. We have a cabin in MT we spend 4-6 weeks at every summer also. Like you, I might be able to skip a year for the price of a good sheep hunt but, like you, probably couldn’t skip any more than that. Unless it were enough to buy a better cabin. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: Halfadozen] #7517288 05/22/19 12:55 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Halfadozen
Pay me a $100 grand. I'll still show up to the ranch and be the the camp cook and chief bottle washer, help dress deer, hogs etc in return for some meat from each animal.

Nope, have to steer clear of it altogether. Hanging out at the ranch is not allowed

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517292 05/22/19 01:01 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
$50,000 would do it for me. Honest answer.

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517354 05/22/19 02:26 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
My current salary.....too busy to take much time off.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: PMK] #7517373 05/22/19 02:39 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by Theringworm
Only one guarantee in life and that is death. It comes at a time of its choosing, generally speaking. I wouldn’t bet a year of my life on an investment I might not be able to cash in on all the while robbing myself of time hunting with my family creating memories. A few extra bucks in the bank is nice....who wouldn’t take it? But....memories are more valuable in my opinion.

I’ll pass.......

same here ... the older I get, the more I realize how precious time actually is ...

Ditto

There is no tomorrow guaranteed

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517381 05/22/19 02:56 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
For one year...it would have to be enough where the following year I could knock out some of my dream hunts, desert bighorn Mexico, elephant, leopard, and Kodiak bear.

So 250k would take care of it and cover some more.

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517563 05/22/19 01:31 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
All it took for me was having my own business and a newborn

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517677 05/22/19 03:36 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I went a year without hunting.
My father and I dove hunted (for what I found out later was our last time) in mid-September. He passed away in early December. For the next year I didn't go hunting as my sister and I cleaned up all of the things left behind and got my mom settled in a new place.
What's kind of strange, I didn't miss the hunting, I just missed the times with my dad.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517752 05/22/19 05:19 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
popcorn

Cool thread, very interesting read...
The high price of leasing almost kept me from hunting...
Fortunately had place were it didnt cost me anything & a WMA opened up 4 the public ta hunt...
That's a Blessing, most low-income workers cant afford leasing, nor have a place ta hunt, tis why...

"Am a proud supporter of WMA's...

Last lease was $200.00 per gun year round... Twas a family lease, way we did things in Minnesota, family & friends getting ta tagether 4 chance ta put some food on d grill & in d freezer... We didnt have lease thar, land owners gave permission... Leasing was new ta me when hit texas , every one was doing it... Only reason got on lease twas the 24-7-365 affordable hog hunt, less than a buck a day, me slinger at night with flash light off, reason they started calling me caveman at work, every one thought i twas muyloco ... Now it big Buck$ just look at the popular NV & Thermal hunts on this forum & youtube...
Started seeing others , that hunted with, starting ta go to neighboring states, due ta high cost of leasing, people getting out bidded, way b4 got on texasHF... & its changing here also, all about the Big Buck$... Thar b an old saying,
Ya CANT eat the horns, confused2 proubly by someone who majored in English, rofl i got D- in grammar, deer shed thar so called (horns) , that's a differant topic...

As pappy once said :
" Thar b three types of hunters, tis like in d old west, got the ranchers,
cowboys & then d ones in between... "

Ya my post ain't worth 2cents just another cheap post...

back Thinken scratch it would depend apone ones income...

Dis forum not like fb, ya dont have ta like me posts,
rofl tis tough being at top of d ignorance list...

flag

Last edited by colt.45; 05/22/19 05:22 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7517938 05/22/19 10:09 PM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
How much for the Pope to drop Catholicism for a year or if he was alive for Billy Graham to drop Christianity for a year? That much

Last edited by Hirogen; 05/22/19 10:09 PM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: Hirogen] #7518443 05/23/19 04:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hirogen
How much for the Pope to drop Catholicism for a year

I'm gonna leave this one alone.....

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7518490 05/23/19 05:46 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Assuming shooting competitions were still allowed, 8-10 grand. If no competitions, considerably more. I love to hunt, but i am more of a competitor, so i would need a clarification haha

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: Ramball36] #7518495 05/23/19 05:53 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Ramball36
All it took for me was having my own business and a newborn

Heck, having a newborn in the first part of October was almost enough for me.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7518496 05/23/19 05:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
To me it probably wouldn't take near as much as the numbers others are throwing around. Now if someone was offering a million bucks sure I aint gonna turn them down, but I'd probably not hunt for a calendar year for 10k, shoot I might do it for 5k. Its one season, not eternity.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: redchevy] #7518514 05/23/19 06:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by redchevy
To me it probably wouldn't take near as much as the numbers others are throwing around. Now if someone was offering a million bucks sure I aint gonna turn them down, but I'd probably not hunt for a calendar year for 10k, shoot I might do it for 5k. Its one season, not eternity.

Yeah I don’t think some are grasping that last sentence for some reason.

It’s like if someone said you would get an extra $100,000 at the end of the year if you give up $10,000 for this year only. It’s a no brainer if the money is right. Because more money = more time = more hunting than ever.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: RJH1] #7518549 05/23/19 07:43 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Originally Posted by RJH1
Assuming shooting competitions were still allowed, 8-10 grand. If no competitions, considerably more. I love to hunt, but i am more of a competitor, so i would need a clarification haha

Nope, first sentence states it is not allowed

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7518562 05/23/19 08:09 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I am going to have to internet lawyer that question then, cause the question says no hunting, then the clarification is basically you have to sit on your couch for a year. Most target archery and firearm sports have zero to do with hunting.

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7518568 05/23/19 08:19 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
That is a stupid question for the following reasons:

1. Nobody would pay anybody any significant amount of money just to NOT hunt
2. If they said they would, I would not trust that after a year of hunting that they would pay
3. There is no amount of money that anybody could pay me to do as I please with my spare time

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: RJH1] #7518589 05/23/19 08:51 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I am going to have to internet lawyer that question then, cause the question says no hunting, then the clarification is basically you have to sit on your couch for a year. Most target archery and firearm sports have zero to do with hunting.

“This means no hunting, shooting, plinking, archery, animal photography, guiding, etc. for a full calendar year.”

Internet lawyer away the terms were clearly stated. No loopholes.

Re: Interesting topic I heard today- How much money would it take to keep you from Hunting for 1 year? [Re: txtrophy85] #7518621 05/23/19 09:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
So if my dog photobombs a pic I’m taking of my kids am I out?

grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide