Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,731
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515614 05/20/19 01:39 AM
H
hawk Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Four of us are on my lease. Four blinds on 1000 acres. Rules are that no one can hunt another man's blind until: a) he's taken his trophy buck, and b) you have his permission. Seems to work for us.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515684 05/20/19 03:48 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Another reason I am glad to not be on a lease anymore...too many silly rules.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515771 05/20/19 12:20 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
No private Idaho on our lease. What a great idea, let's relegate you to 20% of the leased land available. Now let's get you patterned by the mature bucks to a mundane only hunt this stand routine. hammer

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7515777 05/20/19 12:30 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'd rather do my best on public land than pay for permission to sit in one stand on a lease. Especially if I had to deal with a bunch of inconsiderate people. I'll just deal with other hunters on public land.

If you look around, there is still plenty of public land in Texas.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: GLC] #7515815 05/20/19 01:26 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by GLC
We each have our own areas feeders, and blinds. I feed year round and others dont. I work on my area year round others dont. Everyone chose there own areas to be fair. I see no reason to have others benefit from my money and hard work. That being said, after i tag out i offer my area to others with stipulations. No guest hunting.

Exactly this. I have no problem sharing my spot late in the season, but I make it clear that you must ask me first.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: titan2232] #7515958 05/20/19 04:40 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
As is usually my thoughts on many topics, "to each his own." The issue becomes that EACH lease will work fine with whatever policy as long as EACH person is like minded in that policy. Also, whatever policy is adopted for each lease should be spelled out for all to agree to upfront and then enforced consistently. All the "problems" mentioned so far seem to fall into failure in some or all of the above.
#1.Spell it out. #2. Insure everyone agrees. 3. Enforce it. To elaborate on "agree" I would say its better to have them "believe" in the policy and not just "agree."
Assuming the OP fulling intends to do the above and just wants an opinion on which one to properly implement then my 2 cents coming up. On a poorly run lease or one that is not well organized and/or policies are not spelled out and/or enforced then Community property may not work the best. Everyone to his own stand or area is the EASY WAY OUT where everyone really just has his "own little mini lease." Some guys will take care of their area and others will not so no problem since everyone basically has their own little lease. For those of you with this policy if you have "problems" then its likely an enforcement issue. For me and mine we don't want a "little lease" where we have to look at the same area time after time- THAT would be THE PROBLEM for me and likely the issue some are missing(you don't know what you don't know.) I have been the hunter in charge of a lease for many many years and its varied over time from 10000 ac to 13000 acre and from 18 to 24 guys and from 25 to 30 stands. We have always hunted Community stands so we are able to enjoy a tremendous amount of country and if anyone wasn't used to it coming in then they all loved it afterwards. However, Community can be much harder to pull off cause it only works if the "community" shares in making it all work. We have one member we pay to maintain all feeders regardless who "owns" the equipment and he fills them all at the same time and they throw the same amount at the same time. Pretty much the same with stands and game cameras and sharing of pics and info. Its called "teamwork" and very difficult to pull off if someone in charge isn't on top of things. Our expenses are "community", or shared, as well.
To sum up I would say if you have a small tight knit group of family or friends then you can adapt whatever policy you want and you wont have "problems" but in that situation I would suggest you go "community" and you will enjoy hunting more country and still not have problems. On the other hand if your "leader" is organized and committed and got some sense and people skills then he can put together guys from all over and Community will work as long as the before mentioned: 1. Spell it out 2. All agree 3. Enforce.
Another long post so I hope no one thinks im "preaching". Remember I started out with "to each his own" so Im really not pushing my opinion on any of yall, but instead im just trying to help which I think that's what this forums for. As usual, my 2cents.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: freerange] #7516138 05/20/19 08:23 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by freerange
As is usually my thoughts on many topics, "to each his own." The issue becomes that EACH lease will work fine with whatever policy as long as EACH person is like minded in that policy. Also, whatever policy is adopted for each lease should be spelled out for all to agree to upfront and then enforced consistently. All the "problems" mentioned so far seem to fall into failure in some or all of the above.
#1.Spell it out. #2. Insure everyone agrees. 3. Enforce it. To elaborate on "agree" I would say its better to have them "believe" in the policy and not just "agree."
Assuming the OP fulling intends to do the above and just wants an opinion on which one to properly implement then my 2 cents coming up. On a poorly run lease or one that is not well organized and/or policies are not spelled out and/or enforced then Community property may not work the best. Everyone to his own stand or area is the EASY WAY OUT where everyone really just has his "own little mini lease." Some guys will take care of their area and others will not so no problem since everyone basically has their own little lease. For those of you with this policy if you have "problems" then its likely an enforcement issue. For me and mine we don't want a "little lease" where we have to look at the same area time after time- THAT would be THE PROBLEM for me and likely the issue some are missing(you don't know what you don't know.) I have been the hunter in charge of a lease for many many years and its varied over time from 10000 ac to 13000 acre and from 18 to 24 guys and from 25 to 30 stands. We have always hunted Community stands so we are able to enjoy a tremendous amount of country and if anyone wasn't used to it coming in then they all loved it afterwards. However, Community can be much harder to pull off cause it only works if the "community" shares in making it all work. We have one member we pay to maintain all feeders regardless who "owns" the equipment and he fills them all at the same time and they throw the same amount at the same time. Pretty much the same with stands and game cameras and sharing of pics and info. Its called "teamwork" and very difficult to pull off if someone in charge isn't on top of things. Our expenses are "community", or shared, as well.
To sum up I would say if you have a small tight knit group of family or friends then you can adapt whatever policy you want and you wont have "problems" but in that situation I would suggest you go "community" and you will enjoy hunting more country and still not have problems. On the other hand if your "leader" is organized and committed and got some sense and people skills then he can put together guys from all over and Community will work as long as the before mentioned: 1. Spell it out 2. All agree 3. Enforce.
Another long post so I hope no one thinks im "preaching". Remember I started out with "to each his own" so Im really not pushing my opinion on any of yall, but instead im just trying to help which I think that's what this forums for. As usual, my 2cents.

up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7516297 05/20/19 11:07 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
We hunt our own, and share at our choosing. Funny thing is, most of us share with each other, but are not required to.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7516317 05/20/19 11:24 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Bow hunt by permission only. Gun stands are semi-open.

We have our own stands and feeders. For gun season, you have to have blind to hunt a blind and you have to have a feeder to hunt a feeder. When you are there, you have first right to your stand. If you aren’t there, anyone can hunt it. No doe out of someone else’s stand without permission.

We have a large lease with a large group. It works for us...

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7516321 05/20/19 11:27 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Man, that is confusing.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Creekrunner] #7516325 05/20/19 11:29 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Man, that is confusing.

Mine?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Lakhota] #7516363 05/21/19 12:11 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Lakhota
Our biggest issue last year was no one was logging in what was taken. Then one member and his guests shot and wounded four deer. I heard there was suppose to be a talk about both of theses issues and I hope there was.

That’s terrible. Did they even bother tracking the deer or calling in a dog?

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: freerange] #7516372 05/21/19 12:20 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange

good post and dead on

You can't fix stupid
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: maximus_flavius] #7516572 05/21/19 04:02 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Our biggest issue last year was no one was logging in what was taken. Then one member and his guests shot and wounded four deer. I heard there was suppose to be a talk about both of theses issues and I hope there was.

I know or a fact that no dog was called. I was there when one was shot and the person said he was sure that he hit him but didn’t find any any blood and I think he and the lease member did a half [censored] job of looking. They decided to go see if the gun was on target and it was so I don’t know what happened. I found out about all the others way after the fact. A guest of the lease member said I shot a doe his statement was “y’all may have a three legged deer or one with a broken leg. I rushed the shot and hit her but don’t know where it went “. In 2017 the lease member had a Mt lite 308 and he shot at least two that he didn’t recover. Another lease member and I faked about it and we and up that he was afraid of the recoil and after listening to him that is what it was. Last year he shot a doe in the neck and then just couldn’t put another shot in it and had to call his buddy and a lease member to kill it. I am getting real pissed about it and if it happens this year I’m going to say something to him instead of the lease manager. I have been on the lease 7 or 8 years and this guy only 4 this year and he and his buddy’s have wounded more deer than I have taken since I have been on.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7517290 05/22/19 12:59 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If I wounded 4 consecutive animals and never recovered one of them, I'd probably not hunt anymore. Not just deer. i am talking any kind of animal, game or not. How can you wound so many animals and never recover one, and just keep going around wounding animals. Who does that?

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7517306 05/22/19 01:22 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
If I wounded 4 consecutive animals and never recovered any of them I would take shooting lessons or learn deer anatomy.

Reminds me of the people that won't verify their zero before hunting season, say their rifle is sighted in, and they are the ones that always miss or wound animals.

I'll bet every deer lease has one of those.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Lakhota] #7517324 05/22/19 01:46 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

I know or a fact that no dog was called. I was there when one was shot and the person said he was sure that he hit him but didn’t find any any blood and I think he and the lease member did a half [censored] job of looking. They decided to go see if the gun was on target and it was so I don’t know what happened. I found out about all the others way after the fact. A guest of the lease member said I shot a doe his statement was “y’all may have a three legged deer or one with a broken leg. I rushed the shot and hit her but don’t know where it went “. In 2017 the lease member had a Mt lite 308 and he shot at least two that he didn’t recover. Another lease member and I faked about it and we and up that he was afraid of the recoil and after listening to him that is what it was. Last year he shot a doe in the neck and then just couldn’t put another shot in it and had to call his buddy and a lease member to kill it. I am getting real pissed about it and if it happens this year I’m going to say something to him instead of the lease manager. I have been on the lease 7 or 8 years and this guy only 4 this year and he and his buddy’s have wounded more deer than I have taken since I have been on.

May be past time to speak to the individual and the lease manager.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7517447 05/22/19 07:02 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Community. 8 blinds and feeders on 1000 acres. They have all been there for 10 to 15 years. A few 20 years. 5 of us and maybe one weekend all season 4 will be there. Never been an issue ever. We all have a good time and very laid back. Next door, same landowner and they only hunt their own setups and keep to themselves. Very different and not fun to me. Very weird. I know each guy more than they know each other over there.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Txduckman] #7517532 05/22/19 01:06 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Community. 8 blinds and feeders on 1000 acres. They have all been there for 10 to 15 years. A few 20 years. 5 of us and maybe one weekend all season 4 will be there. Never been an issue ever. We all have a good time and very laid back. Next door, same landowner and they only hunt their own setups and keep to themselves. Very different and not fun to me. Very weird. I know each guy more than they know each other over there.

Sounds like good times; I would never and have never been on a lease situation that wasn't "community" stands approach. Lots on here deal in or have dealt in "hunting drama" it sounds like to me. If I can't be on a place where everyone gets along and is happy and supportive when one, some or none harvest a nice animal, I want no part of that situation. I know it can be easier said than done but I guess I have been a fortunate person in that respect of hunting said type properties for 35+ years of hunting. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff is my philosophy!

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7518506 05/23/19 06:15 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Community.

I would not want to sit in the same place repeatedly, and I enjoy watching my friends and their kids kill deer - even if I did more of the feeding than anyone else.

Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7519022 05/24/19 12:48 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Been there, done that. I'd never hunt on a lease with guys that had "their" stand. I hunt with guys I know and trust and we hunt "our" stands and feeders. I pay more to hunt this way as we have fewer guys on our lease than it will handle, but it's far more enjoyable to hunt with guys you know and trust, who put in the same time and money you do and have the same ideas on management.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7519149 05/24/19 03:15 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Where I hunt each member has their own area. Areas range in size from 500-600 acres. Members pay the same
$/acre but individual totals vary based on the acerage in each area. MLD Tags are distributed on a per acre basis as well. Each paying member has the final word on permission for other members hunting his area. Some guys share with each other, others do not. It works well for us and each member has the right to hunt all the acerage they have paid the lease fee on. We are trophy hunters and get along well with one another. Most of our group have hunted together for over twenty years. There is a very long list of people who want to hunt with us and we have practically no turnover. When we do fill a vacancy we are very selective of which individuals we consider bringing into our group.

Annual turnover is a good barometer for the type of members and the amount of drama present on most leases.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7519170 05/24/19 03:33 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Each had own stand, yet it was a community lease...
Not gonna go inta details .. confused2 each lease tis differant...
Main goal twas , family outing , & chance ta put some food on d grill & in d freezer...
Seen to many duel over what ta choot & what not, games played... Legal twas legal...

This leasing stuff sounds like it is a PITA.

rofl
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 05/24/19 03:39 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7519178 05/24/19 03:43 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I have a couple friends who hunt my property with me. They bring food and feed, sometimes seed for the food plots. They also put in "sweat equity" when they come out to help me work. Most of the work and feeding I take care of. I have 5 stands that only 2 at a time get used. I usually let my friends have first choice. I'm there a lot more than they are so I can hunt wherever I want when no one else is there.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: On your lease do you have "Your Stand", or community? [Re: Mr. T.] #7519181 05/24/19 03:48 PM
T
TooLow Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My stand but I will let others always hunt it if they ask me if they can. Don't have a problem at all letting others as long as they leave it clean and not trashed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide